2020-07-31 11:54:39

Hi all,
I've been working on an arcade-style game called Lucky Thirteen. The aim is to clear the board of all the numbers.

Massive thanks to @IronCross32 for all his sounds, testing, and help. Also to @Camlorn for Synthizer.

You can view the release - as well as download it for Windows here.

Documentation can be found in the README.

For the code-curious, the code is 245 lines of Python.

Hope you enjoy.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2020-07-31 13:23:22

Hi there, thanks for the game. however the game gave me a fatal error on launching, but it's not a problem, I went to %temp% and delete the gen py folder. after that though, I could run the game, I can hear the music, and the self-voice talking. here is the real problem, I cannot press enter to start the game, it's just kind of freeze, arrow keys also not doing anything.

2020-07-31 14:01:39

Make sure that capslock, numlock, and scroll lock are all off.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-31 14:09:58

oh yeah, work , I have to turn off my numlock

2020-07-31 17:40:14

If anyone has audio issues, please report them here. I'll monitor this thread for a bit.  This'll be the first deployment of Synthizer on a wide variety of machines, so it'll be interesting to me to see if and/or how it falls over (and obviously I'll work to fix whatever problems arise).

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-08-01 10:03:52

Thanks for developing  this game! I downloaded it yesterday and love it. I've played it a couple times already, and I'm sure I'll keep playing it. I've always loved a good numbers game, so it's perfect for me.

2020-08-01 10:19:55

I couldn't understand how to play this game at first, but i think i have the hang of this one right now. there is a little bug: when i press v to change the voice of the game, it just exits. i will launch it via the command prompt later to post the eror...

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2020-08-01 14:16:30

I don't think it tracebacks to the console. This has happened with me and Chris is saying it's a Synthizer issue.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-08-01 14:17:13

I've been quite enjoying this one. Here are some suggestions:
1. There needs to be a way to turn down or off the background music.
2. The game should announce a selected tile's number when you move over it, and you should be able to press enter on a selected tile to deselect it.
3. Scoring, I'd suggest a scoring system similar to the following. Gain 1 point for removing 2 tiles, plus 1 additional point for every additional tile used in the removal. Take a -1 point penalty each time you either need to randomize a tile or use an empty spot to complete a 13.
4. You could also add a timed mode where you try to beat the game in the shortest time possible.
5. A variation I think would be fun to play is that when you completely empty a stack, the top tiles from other stacks are moved to fill it and bring it back up to the average height of the rest of the stacks. This would change the strategy quite a bit.

2020-08-01 15:25:53

You can use M and shift M to adjust the music volume. In case you didn't know, you can deselect all tiles with escape, though I get that's not quite what you are after.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-08-01 15:52:56

and the code is on github, so you can modify it to your liking. but yeah, those are good suggestions.

best regards

2020-08-01 17:49:28

@8
Is it one that's already open?

My Blog

2020-08-01 19:00:21

I just checked and no.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-08-02 00:59:36

@9
I love your suggestions!!

I avoided a points system for 2 reasons: Firstly, I hoped the code would give others something not too complicated to learn from. Secondly, I wanted it all self-voicing, and I'd have to break that paradigm if I was going to put points in.

I would happily palm reading all numbers off to the screen reader, and put in a points system, if you think that would be a spin off worth having? I could then put in a high score system, so people could compete or whatever.

@6
I'm so glad you're enjoying it! I've never played number games, but I too find it weirdly addictive.

@12
No, it's not, but I suspect it's the resampling thing you've mentioned before, so I was going to wait for the next version of Synthizer before I started opening issues.

@ironcross32
Thanks for being technical support on this one while we've been taking full advantage of our two annual days of sunshine, here in rainy england. I'll be back to my usual levels of attention while I wait for my sunburn to peel off haha. Also, thanks again for your sound help, you're indeed a wizard, Harry!

-----
I have code on GitHub

2020-08-02 01:10:08

@14
I released that earlier today.  If whatever this is is still happening, it's probably something I don't know about.

My Blog

2020-08-02 01:22:53

@15
OK, just checked, and it's still broke. I'll open an issue tomorrow, if that's OK? Turn on logging and all that jazz.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2020-08-02 02:06:09

Pre Recorded TTS samples for scores are an option.  It doesn't sound very pretty true, but if the speech is fast enough and the gaps are as short as possible it isn't too bad with a good voice.

2020-08-02 02:40:36

@16
Sure, it's not like there's a deadline, and you figuring out a minimal reproduction and logs and etc will be very useful.

My Blog

2020-08-02 16:06:19

@18
I'll get on it soon. You've posted commands and stuff in the past to give you enough info, so I'll do all of them, then open an issue.

@17
I'm going to probably work on a Python module (again using Synthizer) that'll let you instantiate an object with the main numbers (1-20, 30, 40, 50, ... hundred thousand, million, billion). Then you'll be able to do something like:

numbers.output(123456)

It'll use the provided buffers to output "one" "hundred" "twenty" "three" "thousand" "four" "hundred" "fifty" "six".

It won't be pitch perfect, but it'll work enough for my purposes.

Again, I'll be posting that on PyPi and Github, so others can use it.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2020-08-06 13:49:57

Ok, so i thought i got the hang of it... but it seems not. so how does this game actualy work? should you make numbers (single numbers) for example to make 13? like 10 and 3 makes 13? or 12+1=13 and then 5+8=13? or how does this work? because the tile sets does not increase after every time i here a sound...

best regards

2020-08-06 14:45:13

OK, so there are three dimensions, even though you can only move through two of them. The third is the stack depth of the tile you're currently on. You can hear this with D. It's the amount of number blocks on that tile. Your aim is to make it say zero for every tile on the game board. You do that by selecting tiles whose numbers will add up to 13.

If you make 13 successfully, one block comes off the top of each tile that was previously selected. So, if you had 3 tiles whose numbers added up to 13, three tiles would lose a block each. You can verify this by hitting D on them. If you go over 13, you'll hear a bad sound, and this means a new number gets generated for each of the selected tiles and they gain a block each. Doing this means you have now given yourself more to do to clear the game board, so you really want to avoid going over 13.

End racism
End division
Become united