2020-06-25 01:57:00 (edited by Zarvox 2020-06-25 02:10:48)

Mods are busy people and running this site is already a chore. But on top of that, they also need to remember to check the restricted topic for new members. Is there an easier way that we can either remind them by posting in this topic, or sending a mod a pm when a new user posts so it is a little less memory to hold? I know the suggestion of adding members to unrestrict new people has been brought up, but it sounds like tuns of work to get that started, and continue without issues. What do you think? Will having a topic like this that can be updated by normal users or sending a pm to lift some of the weight help? Also this topic wouldn't be sticky, so that the mods don't just skip over it and it only needs to grab their attention when someone notifies the the mods in this topic.
Honestly we should just make the restricted users topic in this room and not make it sticky so getting the mods' attention to automatically taken care of.

2020-06-25 02:45:21

Why even concern ourselves with it. Also, if members can unrestrict, you might as well take the thing away in the first place. Restriction helps in two ways that I can see. The most important of which is prevention of spambots. The second is keeping people off of here that should remain off, like banned users trying to create alt accounts.

I just don't get why we should concern ourselves with getting the mods' attention. In fact, maybe it's a good thing people don't get unrestricted within 15 minutes of posting. IT's good they have to wait it out, maybe by that time, if they were planning anything untoward, they might become tired of waiting.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-06-25 03:20:37

I wonder how I can post on the forums If I'm still banned? Such a mistery, maybe the mods should acttually look into that?

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-06-25 06:02:02 (edited by Zarvox 2020-06-25 06:04:17)

@2 I meant the mods appoint specific members to allow unrestricting. Not allow any member to randomly unrestrict any person. About the wait thing, I was thinking a day or 2 would go by, possibly a week before the mods take it to attention, but you do have a good point. But if they are most likely trying to skirt around a ban they don't care how much time it will take, just that it happens. Also at the end of my post I mentioned just moving the topic here so normal users wouldn't have to inform the mods. It just shows up in a more popular place

2020-06-25 12:21:12

I have just gone to check the topic, and
I've got some really bad news.
Cloudflare's inaccessible captcha has now effected my ability to check the restricted topic. I can't go to any of the previous pages.
edit: I somehow got back in, and have, for the most part, cleared the backlog.

2020-06-25 13:08:24

@5. oof. This is why cloudflare should go back to recaptcha. I hate that stupid HCaptcha thing.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-06-27 14:43:17

I don't think the restricted topic is for screening banned users, because if that was the case then every unrestriction would have to be accompanied by a full investigation which the mods certainly do not have time for. It was introduced because spambots made up for half of the posts on the forum at one point in time, and it was only later that Liam started cracking down on people using TOR or whatever.

2020-06-27 17:14:42

@aaron I've encountered that captcha a few times as well. If even admins have to deal with it, that's certainly troublesome.

Is there no possibility that you could send an email to the site developers and ask them to change this system? Yes yes, I know, they don't care about the site anymore. But having a captcha with no audio option on a site primarily meant for blind people is ... well, ironic I suppose, but not good.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-07-09 01:43:14

IMO restricted users has no point. We still get tons of private messages containing spam so it hasn't made a difference. So spambots just resort to PM's now.

2020-07-09 03:03:13

@

_____

2020-07-09 03:04:17

LOL. that post was written out lol.

Eccentially I was saying at least the board isn't cluttered by a bunch of random bots posting blank posts. So its doing its job to an extent.

_____

2020-07-09 06:18:03

To get passed the inaccessible captcha you can get a cookie in your browser that will allow you to pass through. Read more here.

To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-07-09 21:29:19

hi, I hate to be intruciv but, can any one of the admins check the topic?

2020-07-09 22:25:10

Done. I've unrestricted who I can, but there's a couple of users who no links to their profile, literally the forum isn't letting me click on their names.

2020-07-09 22:43:35

oh, that one with no profile, is a friend of mine in stw, he didint talked about this problom though, what i'm guessing is he is useing a guest acount, if this forum have such a thing

2020-07-10 05:09:36

Yeah. that's a problem. But it wont get fixed because of the dead webmasters.