2020-07-10 01:25:42 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2020-07-11 23:59:45)

Any around on the forums? This isn't some sleazy pickup attempt, it's in the context of gender representation at conferences - i.e. I run accessibility conferences and have no interest in unrepresentative speaker lineups that consist solely of men.

So if you would be interested in speaking at conferences about blind accessibility, please give a shout. Speaking experience is useful by not required, but good gaming experience is - enough to be able to talk knowledgeably about the current state of blind accessible gaming how it has changed, where it should be, what mainstream games could learn from audiogames, etc.

It's for a panel at GAconf, a developer conference solely on accessibilty (across all impairment types), taking place over Zoom in September.

2020-07-10 02:14:54

I was just about to come on here and laugh at you for the title, but that's a good question.
I'm not one, but I figure I'll chip in a bit by saying I've only seen a few, and those have either been heavily surrounded by males who idolize them, or woefully unseen. It is quite unfortunate.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2020-07-10 02:28:51

He's trying to pick up a date. :d
lol That was seriously just a joke but, that's what I think every time I see a topic like this one.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-07-10 02:58:20

A female gamer created such a topic in off topic discussions a year or so ago that got a few hits, at least I think it was there, but it definitely happened.

2020-07-10 03:08:04

I personally know one who plays bloodstorm, but I won't give it away. I also know the more popular ones on SBYW and so on.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-07-10 09:15:26

"This isn't some sleazy pickup attempt," somewhat hard to believe when you provide so little context to what it is actually about, you know?

Are you looking for female gamers for a survey? Or just to get the numbers? What would those numbers be used to prove?

But yeah. As you can guess by my name, I do belong to that rarely-seen race of cryptids. smile How may I be of assistance?

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-07-10 10:16:47

You into gamers too?

2020-07-10 10:28:18

oh yeah? the forum is dominated by males right now. go pick up a needle, increase the amount of blind females, teach them the use of screen reder ( jaws vs NVDA?) make them register here, there! now we have, oh wait, now the forum is dominated by females? shit.

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon

2020-07-10 10:38:35

This guy does a bunch of mainstream representation stuff so I'd be more willing to believe him that this is for that. I'm not a girl but I'm pretty sure there are very few in the community, and potentially interact within their own bubbles. This isn't really specific to blind gaming communities either, but it's particularly noticeable within them. Could have to do with many things. The average gamer is a teenager and teenage girls for whatever reason seem not to be as interested in gaming in general. Also most blind guys and guys in general when it comes to gaming communities are just weird, so some girls probably feel uncomfortable. No getting around it.

2020-07-10 11:29:04

on stw you have a bunch, i think even one of the admins there is a female.

2020-07-10 11:45:48

I have seen a few, but the proportion is much smaller than in the sighted community. I of course mean percentages, not numbers.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-07-10 13:36:55

I'm one of these rare female blind gamers. Though I was also a gamer when I was still sighted, so it seemed a bit rare back then, as well.

2020-07-10 14:03:16

My other half is a gamegirl, but she's more casual, and she isn't blind. She likes the rockman series.

As a bonus, let's celebrate the gamegirl with this awesome dynomite parody

2020-07-10 17:43:56

Females tend to be more into casual games, and lately allot of those have been on mobile.  So I think you would have more luck on applevis.

2020-07-10 17:51:11

My wife can be considered a blind gamer. she finished several audiogames, like manamon, paladin... she also plays soundRTS, super egg hunt, and any game available in spanish.
she also plays tabletop roll, and about mainstream games, she's more into fighting games than anything. particularly king of fighters.

bokura no daibouken 2 by yukionozawa. installer:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/897 … _setup.exe
bokura no daiboukenn 3 by yukionozawa. download page:
http://www.nyanchangames.com/softs/nn3.html

2020-07-10 18:24:11

I'm a female blind gamer. I've been around off and on on this site for a long time, but between a job and a kid, I don't have a lot of time for gaming.
Since I've been spending so much time at home, I've recently gotten back into it. I tend to prefer rpg games, and was so dissatisfied with the lack of decent audiogames in that genre, I stopped playing for awhile. I now have A Hero's Call, which is amazing. It probably has the largest world I've played in, though still not as large as your average mainstream games. I'm disappointed that development on this game stopped. I would have liked to see more from the developer, because I have yet to find a game that matches it.
I guess that was a very long-winded way of saying that, yes, female blind gamers are out there. I tend to do more reading of posts than writing since I try to avoid drama at all costs, lol.

2020-07-10 19:46:00

My wife is a gamer to some degree or another and used to help moderate this site.  I'd say that on average she generally plays about four or five games a year and focuses on the micromanagement stuff and incramental games more often than not.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-07-11 05:31:34

I am also a blind female gamer. my taste in games is very broad. I like to  play first shooter games, rpgs, car racing games, micromanagement and incremental games among other genres. I don't really limate myself, I am open to try other games.

2020-07-11 23:00:59

@6 sorry, I thought I had given context but it obviously wasn't worded clearly enough! I.e. "it's in the context of gender representation at conferences."

I've edited the original post to hopefully make it a bit clearer!

2020-07-11 23:31:33

@ianhamilton_ Thank you for the explanation. It makes much more sense now. smile

Speaking at conferences sounds terrifying though. So not really something I can help you with, sorry.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-07-12 01:07:18

@ianhamilton_, I actually think it's my fault the subject spun a little out of hand; I meant post 3 as a joke, no offense whatsoever.  If you can PM @Nightshade I do believe she'd be more than willing  to talk to you as A, she is a gamer, B, she works for a tech company and, C, she is a good teacher by virtue of the fact that she is a quick learner.

2020-07-12 09:43:15

I am a female gamer, but I don't hav enough experience in it to speak at conferences.
I know someone who probably would though.
I'll message her, and see if she'll contact you on here.

2020-07-12 16:07:12

I’m also a female blind gamer, but like post 12 I have been gaming since I was small and I don’t do public speaking either.

2020-07-12 17:28:26

Why look here, we're all a bunch of degenerates.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-07-12 22:20:59

Thanks Mirage!