2011-04-25 14:11:41

I am trying to install vinux into VirtualBox, but VirtualBox's audio seems to be varry choppy. So what is the requirements for VirtualBox? the version I have is 4.0.2. I'm running it on a computer with 1GB of ram and a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz proseccer. I do have a laptop with newer hardware if that is needed. I want to keep my programming skills up over the summer...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-04-25 23:19:43

I'm not familiar with virtual box but I'd say while the processor is reasonably acceptable 1gb of ram is pushing it for general use these days, let alone running virtual machines. The more ram you have the better.

Don't forget that your ram has to hold Windows, the virtualisation software and the guest operating system. Think of it as having enough ram to run two computers, plus some spare for the virtualisation overhead.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-04-25 23:56:31

OK... I will get more ram in my PC when i can, but I will try doing this on my laptop and see how that works sence it has more ram. I have read some bad things about VirtualBox. one of them seems to be the audio. I think I will also try VMWare player too.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-04-26 02:49:31

i would  suggest using vm player, it's pretty stable, i my experience!

2011-04-26 12:39:18

OK. I'm setting it up.

DropBox Referral

2011-04-27 09:39:49

Just a suggestion. When you've created your VM, you might want to open the VMX file in Notepad, and then paste the following command at the bottom of the file. VMware basically creates its own virtual mixer, which in some cases isn't as stable as using your physical sound card.

pciSound.emulateMixer = "FALSE"

2011-04-27 13:11:15

That played haywire with my soundcard. least ways I lost the sound of jaws when the vm started, but I fixed it.

DropBox Referral

2011-05-24 00:18:49 (edited by shanemorgan 2011-05-24 00:19:44)

I would like to test more and more free and useful tools and software.I have microsoft virtul PC which is very good for you if you want to install another windows OS in windows OS.And it is freeware.I am also using virtual box which the best and free to use.I don't find any problem in this software.

2011-05-28 01:07:11

Hi, I figured I'd chime in about my experiences with VirtualBox.

I've got Vinux, win XP, and Windows 2000 installed in VM's. I used NVDA to navigate the VBox interface, no need to use VBoxManage (the commandline utility) unless you want to clone disks, all the rest can be done with NVDA in the main VirtualBox GUI now, I'm glad to say.

I've got 4GB of RAM and an AMD Quad Core Phenom2 overclocked at 3.92 gHz, so I can run these all with no problems at the same time. I do eventually want to upgrade my RAM to 8GB.

I do agree somewhat with the sound issues. One of my Windows VM's has a really annoying stuttering effect and I need to play music in the background softly so that JFW can speak normally. Another thing is the slight lag between key press and response in the VM, about 300 Milliseconds. Not that big of a deal, but figured I'd mention it.

Other than that my experiences have been pretty positive.

SG