2020-06-30 18:37:12

There is no way to stop evolutions by level-up that I'm aware of, which takes a crapton of manamon off the table. I would end up stuck with stuff like Furivia, Friggle, Bearran, Aperishian, Montor, Mutmo, Cowmoono, Dirroink, Oxinik, Luscish, Foefum, Lavalan, Zapistan, Morghoul, Zintrabat, Sheepit, Quartantula, Embird. Problem there? I've played with almost all of these in manamon 2 before, so it would be quite uninteresting. It's a neat idea, mind you.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-06-30 22:14:15

It's crazy that Artisoul has so many moves that it can get, though I will probably learn later why it gets so many moves.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-06-30 22:40:27

Kind of
slight
spoilers

This is related to only Artisoul.

Artisoul's ability basically allows it to learn any move, with the right conditions. It can cost quite a lot of gold, but it's extremely flexible. The only problem is that Artisoul will mimic the type of whatever first approaches it, so an all-Artisoul run is going to play merry hell with your STAB moves. You'll be shifting in and out of resistances and weaknesses; an all-Artisoul playthrough would be absolutely wild. If I did it, I'd probably ignore my so-called "El cheapo" because frankly that's a really, really easy way to win, and would take all the fun out.

2020-07-01 00:44:49

Oh, so basically Smeargle. That's neat.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-07-01 01:04:46

Smeargle is basically an artist, which uses the move Sketch to permanently copy whatever move was used on it previously. Artisoul's mechanics are slightly different, but it amounts to damn near the same thing. I also find it funny that Smeargle is an artist, and Artisoul is...an artist, and they both learn almost every move, and they're both standard (normal) types by default. I think that and Mutmo bug me the most, because they're pound-for-pound pokemon rips. Mutmo's evolutions are fairly unique, at least - different types than Eevee, except Flareon/Blaizond - but the concept is the same. I dunno. I'm just glad that Manamon 2's layout and design were considerably different than the original, and lowered the sheer amount of borrowing that was going on previously. I think I'd have even more respect for these games if they didn't yank so shamelessly from their primary source material sometimes, and if they did a better job of presenting a balanced battle experience that people would actually want to engage in outside of the main story.

2020-07-01 02:34:35

Hell aren't the hyper forms cribbed from something in Pokemon? And, unrelated, but, I've put a chrono core on Mightauras. Does Sylphantom need one too? I fail when it comes to equipment. Sometimes it's obvious, but with something like Sylphantom, do I use something to raise ghost damage? How about insect damage? Would I do better to use one of the insect only items to dial back a weakness? Hell maybe I should have chrono cores on everything. I could do that. It would take a while but I think I could find enough from among my saved games. Heh.

2020-07-01 03:01:48

Not really, no. Pokémon have Max Raid Battles now, but Hyper forms came before it.
I guess you could say it came from Mega-Evolutions, but I don't think that would be correct.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-07-01 05:31:54

Nah, hyper forms are fairly unique. Pokémon generally don't have such things. In the seventh generation of pokemon, you had totem battles, where one pokemon would, say, begin the battle with boosted stats, and you might face it in a two-on-one or three-on-one format. Totem pokemon can also call for backup, and usually the backup pokemon would use moves to help them out. For instance, a water type might call for something to use Rain Dance to power up its water moves, a grass type might call for something to use Sunny Day, that sort of thing. The bosses in manamon 2, in particular, were definitely more complicated than this. I'm not necessarily saying they were harder though, since most of the bosses in manamon 2 are not that difficult.

Angel Pendant on Sylphantom is pretty decent, since its HP is fairly good and it occasionally dodges attacks. That, and if you use parafuse as a strategy, you increase your chance of not getting smoked by stuff, and being able to heal more.

2020-07-01 06:26:46

Does the Irod pendant work as a held item in Manamon 1? I never realized you could hold those and get a boost until now.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-07-01 06:29:26

No, it doesn't work that way in manamon 1. don't worry. You weren't missing out on anything.

2020-07-01 06:40:31

Okay. I thought I was hampering myself for no apparent reason. Thanks for the answer.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-07-01 14:57:54

Articurse.
Eq: angel pendant.
Tp: speed and hp.
Ms: rehydrate, restoring light, dead man's curse, unending curse/ethernal vortex, obscure/inner healing.
Objective:
First, use both rehydrate and restoring light to recover as much health as possible.
Now, make sure the opponent doesn't switch out using the infinite trapping move.
Now, it's time to use deadman's curse. Finally, assuming both you and your opponent are still alive, you are free to increase your evasiveness or heal yourself.

2020-07-01 15:25:53

OK, well miracle of miracles I am in the master stadium. I made it passed the steel fight, so I am getting ever closer! The hypergrandland wasn't actually that much of a challenge. Grandland is weak to plant, ice, and water, and I have all three.

2020-07-01 15:57:53

Nice job finally getting past Ascendance Path. Hopefully you bought plenty of healing items and don't run yourself completely out of use points.

Decided to up the challenge quite a bit this go-round, folks. My team is gonna be all ghosts. If it works, it'll be sort of a clinic in how Victoria should've built her team of ghosts, which I feel is kind of underwhelming right now. If it doesn't - and it might not - then I'll eat crow.
Let's just say that Master Dyaz is going to be an extremely tough challenge.
The team will be Sylphantom, Snowmonno, Banshreek, Ghoperto and Lantlare. Two of the five are bred, and just need to be built up a bit.

Before I restart, I'm going to be giving away my four dragons, each of which has been optimally trained, is around level 65-70 and has a chrono core equipped. It's time for me to start using different gear.

2020-07-01 16:33:32

Even though grinding is a little better in this game, I still feel like there's always at least one member of my team that's just unpleasant to grind in places. Either I have to fight lower level things that give less xp and take much longer to level, or I end up fighting things that are effective against the type I'm using, resist the damage I'm using, or both.

2020-07-01 16:50:01

That's about par for the course even in pokemon games. Some areas are just heavy in certain types, so bringing in something that doesn't do well against those types and trying to level there is a pain in the ass. It's damn near unavoidable, unless you want to have encounter tables which represent all types equally on all maps, and that just sounds like bleh to me. After all, the flip side is that you're also going to find hot spots where one particular manamon will utterly destroy things in a certain area because nothing there threatens it much. Example: damn near everything in Chinkon Hill and Barren Underground is weak to ghost or undead. Nothing in Soulfier Cave resists water, and plenty of mons are weak to it. Everything in Frozen Hinterland is weak or double-weak to holy, and most is also weak to flame and stone, but quite obviously insect or plant types are probably gonna die horribly. It's just the nature of environments and elemental types. It doesn't bug me much. If I know there's a weak spot coming up for one of my manamon, I either try to compensate beforehand or afterword.

2020-07-01 17:26:16

Jade, just as a matter of fun, you could write something entertaining on dragons ... let's call this How to Train Your Dragon, Manamon style. When I'm not sure about training I just level, load up with silver tonics and distribute evenly. So far, it's resulted in a Dragomier with about 300 health max and sheet rock defenses, though the others aren't so bad. Bolanteril  is fun to play with ... just send him out and watch your opponents try to destroy a stone wall. That hits back. Very, very hard.

ALso, on the third level of the catacombs, and spent a goodly amount of time down there trying to find a black matter husk. It would be nice to know the method behind the madness that's the catacombs and the swamp. All I can remember at this point is the the entrance to F3 is in a generally southward direction, and I got to F3 in a rather short time. Probably missed a bunch of items, but oh well. Now just three more floors to go--still haven't found my way to F4. Incidentally I have Salvahound with me; I started by levelling but levelling down there while trying to deal with the maze is tiring.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2020-07-01 17:31:19

Yeah, I might be running out of usage points. I prob should have bought some UP restores, but I just didn't, and it's too late now. I hope I only have a couple more left to fight, but we'll soon see.

2020-07-01 18:45:18

Worst case, you get to an unwinnable scenario and you have to get a game over, at which point you end up coming back to the main stadium, and can then spend more money on whatever you need. No big deal.

Team is all ready to go, btw. I know, I know, I'm a needy bastard, with all my requirements of team babysitting and such.

Dragomier, BTW, wants primarily attack and speed, with a little HP and maybe some defense thrown in for spice. Most of its best moves are physical. Also, if anyone wants my four dragons with chrono cores, now is your chance to speak up.

2020-07-01 18:50:16

Wish I could, but I'm not near my computer for the next few days.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-07-01 19:08:37

I'd love them if you're offering, the game doesn't exactly have much in the way of a scene... but they'd be fun to check out and max. I could also help with babysitting again.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2020-07-01 19:09:56

Awesome. I'm opening a room momentarily, calling it transfer, with no caps or punctuation. I know, boring.

2020-07-01 19:27:26

Sweet, thank you! Just let me know when you want these back, like last time I'll be refreshing every 10 minutes or so.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2020-07-01 19:53:29

I see what someone else was saying about getting hit twice on a turn. This happens when you switch if you're slower than what you're fighting. I have Plumirage out and am about to fight Eshcon. I want to switch to Clubbull so that's how I spend my first turn. Clubbull takes a hit because I switched, and takes another because it's slower than Gubbulline. This doesn't count recoiling since there was none. If I switched in something faster, I would just take one hit before I get to take my turn. One hit I can see. But two? More if you recoil? That doesn't seem right.

2020-07-01 20:10:58

Okay, room is open, same name as before, I'm ready to rock and roll. Grabbed lunch real quick in the meantime. Actually beat Skeeter by the 24-minute mark, which is a first.