2020-06-21 23:53:04

Hello.
I decided to give text adventure makers another try. I tried twine. The only thing regarding this though that i could find was quest. I can kind of create things but when i run my adventure it ends up beeing really inaccessible and complicated to play. The builder isn't this great either and also it seams like it is not possible to compile stuff made with quest. I also found twine how ever this one seams to be more gamebook related and also it sais i should doubleclick a passage to edit it how ever i don't have a mouse and if i just press enter nothing happens. Does any one know a good solution for these things?

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2020-06-22 00:36:18 (edited by Chris 2020-06-26 21:50:40)

If you want to make gamebooks, try Aprone's DarkGrue program. For the more classic parser type of interface, you may want to give Inform 7 a try. I'm writing a ZCode game, and plan to release it for the annual Interactive Fiction competition in 2021.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-06-22 00:57:53

Inform 7 is by far your best bet, if you want accessible and can do complicated things at the same time.  There's so much encoded into Inform 7's understanding of the world that you kinda don't have a choice if you want to use a regular programming language.  Most of the other systems for this that I investigated back when I went through this phase are really incredibly incapable compared to just using a programming language designed for it, or give you a programming language that's not designed for it.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-06-22 01:05:41

I also tried inform7, but have 2 questions.

1. What format is this compiling? When i select release, it just creates some wierd file structures that look like html but an index is missing.
2. I have this peace of code here.
"simtertest" by the simterson

"simter's room" is a room.
How ever if i run it and type things like "look me" or just "look" it just sais > and nothing more. Also there seams to be no way to exit a running game cause even if you press stop it stais in the game and the only way to exit is to restart the whole inform7.

2020-06-22 01:13:29

You don't need the quotes around the name of your room. Inform outputs to the Glulx format by default, and stores files in the Inform\Projects\name_of_the_project.materials\Release. It's possible to change the output to a .z8 file under the settings tab in the Inform editor. If you add the line release along with an interpreter, the program will generate a website that would allow players to simply visit the site and begin playing without the need to download an interpreter.

2020-06-22 01:30:30

Ok, but i still have the problems that i don't get the output of my game and i still can't exit it without quitting inform completely an drestarting.

2020-06-22 01:30:38

Any resources on getting started with inform 7 accessible on mac? I've been playing if for years and would like to learn to write games in if.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2020-06-22 06:52:14

Quest used to be a lot more accessible prior to version 5, sadly. That's some 10-12 years ago now though, so not that helpful. From what little I looked into it, I'll echo the many others and say Inform7. I need to get back into that someday...

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2020-06-22 10:32:46 (edited by queenslight 2020-06-22 10:54:02)

I wonder if anyone looked at the following yet:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Beginner's_Guide_to_Interactive_Fiction_with_Inform_7/Getting_Started_with_Inform_7

Also see

http://inform7.com/

In addition, you may want to give TADS 3 a shot as well:

http://tads.org/t3doc/doc/index.htm

2020-06-22 10:54:06

@4 To quit a game, the right word is quit, not stop.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2020-06-23 04:35:07

My friend and I were just talking about the possibility of creating a fanfic text adventure since a friend of theirs is really into them.
Can Informed7 also export to the Tads format? I believe that one was used for The Camping Trip by Goblinboy.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2020-06-23 07:53:01

@11

The Camping Trip,
http://ifwiki.org/index.php/The_Camping_Trip
, indeed is a TADS 2 game.

As for convertingInform to TADS? Judging from the link article, it doesn't look like it:

http://brasslantern.org/writers/iftheor … andi7.html

2020-06-23 10:51:56

No, TADS is another interpreted language that has nothing to do with Inform or the z-machine. You need the TADS Development kit to program with this language. I've never tried it, so I don't know how accessible it is, but to be honest, it has kind of died out a little and z-code and glulx are essentially the only serious parser languages now.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2020-06-24 19:52:29 (edited by zenothrax 2020-06-24 19:53:26)

If you're used to programming games in BGT, for example, I would suggest TADS 3, which is the next generation of the TADS development kit.
To compair the two, a room in inform 7 looks like this:

The big room is a room. "This room is huge.".

Here is said big room in TADS 3, using the Room template:

bigRoom: Room 'Big Room' "This room is huge. ";

To get an object to respond to a command, for example if you want to prevent a player from, say, eating an ax, you'd do this in Inform 7.

Instead of eating the ax, say "You shouldn't try to consume bladed weapons!".

This is how you'd do this in TADS. This would have to be attached to an object called ax, whereas in Inform 7 you can place Instead rules anywhere.

dobjFor(Eat)
{
check()
{
failCheck('You shouldn\'t try to consume bladed weapons! ');
}
}

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2020-06-25 20:34:27

Oof, yeah, I'll stick with Inform.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-06-26 21:17:54

Okay, for the person writing a text adventure, which program are you using?

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-06-26 21:51:25 (edited by Chris 2020-06-26 21:51:55)

I'm using Inform 7. Progress is very slow, as I have to write out every single response to many actions a player might take. I'm also still trying to learn things as I go.

2020-06-26 22:06:58

Ah, okay. I'm on a Mac, so I'm still getting started. I guess I'll just write the source in Emacs, and compile with the inform app. Yeah this may take a while.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-06-27 10:46:25

@17 Are you using the complete Inform platform to write and test your game, or are you using a different editor and just compile with inform? Because Inform can be quite difficult to work with sometimes because you can't use most debugging features.

2020-06-27 14:38:05

Yeah. I tried using the command line "ni" function to compile, but there's literally no help with the command, and just doing "ni test.ni" doesn't work.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-06-27 16:01:41

I use Inform 7 to write the source text, and then compile the game to ZCode to test using Windows Frotz. I'm not sure how well Inform works with VoiceOver, as I rarely use macOS anymore.

2020-06-27 17:55:08

I remember Inform being painful to develop with from the command line. Has that changed?

I don't recall specifics, but I remember the story format being kind of painful to track via something like Git. I think there was something like a global includes path, so any libraries you needed had to be installed to a system-wide location and couldn't be versioned alongside your sources. Very much centered around running the app and letting it manage everything for you vs. just checking out a Git repo and building someone's story there. I hope that's changed. I've wanted to do something like one of the space-based MOOs, only single-player and written in Inform.

I've actually been looking into Tweego. It lets you create Twine stories from the command line, using Twine's text-based syntax rather than the editor. Thinking it might be an interesting story/mechanic prototyping tool. But if you're looking for an accessible way to work with Twine, Tweego may be it.

2020-06-30 11:08:07

Helo.
Im using sunrise waterfall.
It is not for creating text adventure, but it is possible.
And inform sucks.
I tried it.

meow meow.

2020-06-30 17:33:31

Yall may wish to check out the following web site for creating interactive fiction adventures. Screen Reader friendly too!

https://twinery.org/

, and also

http://chooseyourstory.com/

2020-06-30 21:59:29

I'd just rather mine; a little more interactive than just clicking links. Ah well, probably such just keep learning Python.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me