2020-06-29 06:41:44 (edited by brad 2020-07-09 05:19:11)

/edit2/ The message notifications seam to be working fine on firefox now.

/edit2/

/edit/ message notifications don't seam to be working on Firefox or Chrome so I'd recommend using dystopia for now. You could also try bacan reader for IOS.

/end edit/

Hi everyone, let's start this with a question.

What is reddit?

Reddit is a website where you can subscribe to a subreddit and read about nearly anything you like.

What's a subreddit or sub?

A Sub or Subreddit is like a forum, if I subscribe to the Harry potter Subreddit I will then be able to see everything I'd want to know about Harry potter but I'd not expect to be talking about the moon or cars or chocolate, unless they were related to Harry potter, do you see? Basicly imagine a subreddit like a box, if the box is labeled shoes, you'd not expect a map of London in there would you? It's like that, you subscribe to whatever subs you like, then click on hat sub and read/discuss whatever it is that sub is about.

There are rules to follow for each sub but you don't have to read them to join, they're just there to make sure you're not being nasty to anyone.

How many subs are there?

Thousands and they can be about any topic, discussing many things, here's just a few off the top of my head:

Harry potter

HPFanfiction

Blind

r4r

londonr4r

French

videos

nosleep

wow! That's a lot, so how do I join these subreddits then?

That's just to start you off and just to let you know, if you put r/, that's the letter r then a slash, in front of any of those names and paste them into google, you'll find the subreddits page.

To join a sub, you can go through reddit but I find that not to be the best way. The best way for me is to search on google.

So if you typed in chocolate subreddit, for example, you'd probably find tuns of subs related to chocolate.

So how exactly do I sign up?

You can try signing up on the up to date reddit website, personally I prefer old.reddit.com as it's a lot simpler to use.

The top of the page has tuns of subreddits, don't worry about those, you're looking for the text that says: Want to join? Log in or sign up in seconds.

Press enter on the sign up link and follow the instructions, I can't run you through it because it asks me to enter my email and I only have one so it wouldn't let me use it, there shouldn't be any problems, if there is; let me know and I'll see what I can do.

ok, I've signed up, now what?

Now you start searching on google for subs, type in anything you like then put the word subreddit next to it, pres enter and see what subs come up, click on one of them and search the page for a join link.

once you've joined a couple subs, you'll see them show up on your home page and should be able to navigate to them with no problems but, there's an easier way if you have an IPhone.

What's this easier way then?

It's an app called ddystopia. It's a very accessible reddit client, it's in beta at the moment but don't worry, you can sign up for free using this test flight link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/4MJtN4FB

It's legal, in fact; the dev wants people to sign up so we can all test the app so it can be the best it can be.

download the testflight app, click on that link, using safari, then download dystopia.

once you've opened the app, you'll need to sign in using your reddit username and password, after that, go to either chat or messages, you'll see a prompt telling you that you need to choose a plan, don't worry, you won't get charged, choose any of the plans, then put in your details and press enter.

You'll see a screen saying that you've been confirmed, press enter on ok.

Now go to settings and find the account heading, it will be the first thing you come across, then flick right twice and tap on notifications  and turn both of them on, then go back by finding the button in the top left corner and tapping on it.

You might want to look at the settings and change what you wlike in there, after that; find the top left forner and tap on the done button.

OK, that's all done, now what?

I'll go through each button, giving you a brief description of what they do, don't worry; there isn't many to deel with.

Front page: this page is a mix of all your subs posts on reddit, I hardly use this page.

all: This is where all the most upvoted posts are, you can also search for what ever you like there and see what comes up.

profile: this is your profile, it'll have your carma, kind of like reddit points I guess, sometimes you need a sertain amount to reply on some subreddits but as far as I know; it isn't that many.

saved: this is where you have all the saved posts you want to come back to later. Did you see a story or video you want to hceck out but don't have the time or are just to lazy for now? Just save it and it will appear there.

upvoted: this is where all your upvoted posts are, honestly I don't see a point in this screen but it's there.

submited: Again I don't really see the point of this page so don't use it but I'd assume it has your submited content.

Subreddits and how to interact with them

Now we come to the subreddit heading, clicking right will show you all your subreddits,, before double tapping on one and reading all the lovely posts and forgetting all about my lovely guide that got you to this place and that should totally be read until the end, you need to know that swiping up and down in a subreddit and while on the home screen will allow you to do different things.

Because of Voiceovers action menu in the roter, you can swipe up or down on the home screen when you're on a subreddit, without double tapping on it, will allow you to delete it. You swipe up, hear delete, double tap, flick to okay, double tap on that and you're done.

in a subreddit, there's quite a few actions, so let's go through them.

After double tapping on a subreddit, you can flick right to the post you want to read, double tap on it, flick right and start reading, but you can also flick up or down, like on the home screen of this app, and will hear quite a few things:

view comments:, it should jump you straight to the comments but doesn't seam to work correclty.

reply: double tapping on this will allow you to reply to the post, you can also do this whenever you've read a comment in a post and would like to reply.

View author: this allows you to view the authors profile, you can send them messages, see how much carma they have and read all their posts and replys.

save: It allows you to save the post.

Share: I've not used this but I'd assume it allows you to share on Twitter, facebook, that kind of thing.

report: Do you think a post has broken the rules? Go here to report it.

Upvote and downvote: this allows you to upvote, do you like a post, upvote it; if you like, it's the opisit with downvotes, if you don't like a post and want to show that, downvote it.

Personally I don't use upvoting and downvoting that much. I don't really see a use for it unless something makes me laugh and even then I'd rather reply to the post.

More options: This is a little list of options like cross posting, I'm not exactly sure what that is but I think it's when you take a post and paste it to another subreddit. select text: this should allow you to select text in the post, I've not used these features though so I have no idea how wel they work. view cash coppy with push shift: this allows you to view the post as it was before comments had been deleted or if dystopia tells you there's 20 comments and you don't see them, go to push shift.

cancil: allows you to go back to the screen you were on.

searching for a user or subreddit using Dystopia

You can search for a user and a sub by following this part of the guide.

manually enter user: tapping on this will allow you to wriet a users name into the box, press enter and have their profile pop up. I don't think you can follow on dystopia just yet but you might be able to in the future.

manually enter a subredit: This allows you to enter a subreddits name if you know it. Type it in, press enter and it will pop up.

Find a subreddit: This option allows you to type in a word, hit enter, and have all subreddits related to that word pop up, you an then tap on the one you like the sound of, explore it and subscribe if you like.

The more options button in each sub

This button will allow you to subscribe to a sub, contact the mods, show the sidebar (this is important if you've not checked out the sub before, it's a description of what the sub is all about and sometimes it has links to other subs,) sort, (tapping on this will allow you to sort by some options like newest, most upvoted, that kind of thing, you can do this after a search too,) submit a post of your own, unsubscribe and view subreddit chat rooms, (I don't know how well that works.)

Reddit clients for android

I don't use android but thanks to a user on this forum, I've read that now for Reddit is okay, and gets the job done.

I can't comment on its accessibility but if you have any questions; feel free to ask them here and the forum will do its best to help you out.

End of the guide

This is the end of the guide, I'm very tired now and am going to try to get some sleep, if there are any parts I've missed and you want me to include them, let me know.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-06-29 07:49:35

Wow I didn't even know old Reddit was still being supported.

2020-06-29 08:20:40

Yes,
Just to add something to that, Use "now for Reddit" app if you are using Android. It's not perfect, but get's the job done.

2020-06-29 11:07:43

Nice guide! Many critical aspects were mentioned. A little nit-pick I'd say is, you should mention that swiping up and down is thanks to VoiceOver's actions rotor item. Swiping up and down on an element that supports the actions rotor item will give you related items that you can activate from there without finding the action in question yourself on the screen. So you will not get actions when swiping if your rotor is not set to actions, though iOS usually automatically sets the rotor depending on if it's a textfield, if it has actions assigned, if it's a link or heading, ETC.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-06-29 13:15:59

@Lucas1853, oh yeah; I think it will be supported as long as reddit is up.

@MyDearWatson, it's added to the guide, thanks!

@DJEPIC, it's added to the guide, thanks!

2020-06-29 19:46:18

The reddit app for android is hard to use.

meow meow.

2020-06-29 20:54:12

@PatrykK, it is. The one in my guide isn't the main reddit app for android.

2020-06-30 00:08:00

Thanks for making this. I never had the desire to check out Reddit, but now I do.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2020-06-30 10:18:02

@leibylucw, no problem!

2020-06-30 10:49:32

do there is  alternative accessible client for android?

meow meow.

2020-06-30 11:35:27

@10.

I don't use android but thanks to a user on this forum, I've read that now for Reddit is okay, and gets the job done.

I can't comment on its accessibility but if you have any questions; feel free to ask them here and the forum will do its best to help you out.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-06-30 17:31:25

Nice guide. Headings is a big plus

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2020-06-30 19:28:52

@NicklasMCHD, I'm so glad you like it and think the headings help.

I thought they would as I prefer headings to just paragraphs.

2020-06-30 21:44:34

Haha I'm personally leaving Reddit due to their new rules they put in place.
In case you weren't aware, they're encouraging bullying, see more on this link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/ … nt_policy/
There're alternatives popping up due to the mass leaving. People from all sides of the political spectrum are absolutely furious. I'm just sitting back to watch the fallout.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2020-07-01 00:37:04

This doesn't bother me.

I just subscribe to what subs I like and leave the wrest alone.

2020-07-01 02:11:32

What a great guide!
Thank you for compiling it all and sharing!

2020-07-01 02:20:35

thanks for this
this guide is useful!

2020-07-01 05:44:28

@14. How are they encouraging bullying? I just read the post.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-07-01 07:34:00

@16 and 17, thank you for enjoying my guide!

2020-07-01 18:27:43

@18 their new rule states that attacks on a majority population will be tolerated. Scroll down the comments for more information. The link itself doesn't specify it, you have to click on one of the provided links in the topic ... commenters posted info about it below and were asking what the fuck? What has Spez been smoking? As well as condemning Reddit.
It should also be noted that Reddit does Shadow Bans and remove links to their competetors.
I think one thing everyone can agree on is that Silicon Valley is cancer.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2020-07-02 05:13:09

So, dystopia is great, but there's a problem. You're gonna laugh at me when I say this but it's not the app, it's the phone. I recently got into reddit, and figured that it would be nice on my BrailleNote touch plus, with the braille keyboard or even better on a computer. The reason why is that I hate typing on a touch screen for long periods of time because even with flicktype it's still slow, and flicktype has it's own issues where in multi line text fields if you have to manually touch type a word because it's not in the dictionary it puts a space after each character and won't let you delete them because it thinks it's the beginning of the document, and also puts crap tons of spaces in between words, like 10 spaces. It's rediculous. So I've been trying reddit apps for android, and evven old reddit, but there's issues. None of the apps bring subreddits up as seperate windows, so I have to scroll ⠏⠁⠌ all my subscribed subs to get to the content, and reddit both new and old is annoyingly slow to use because there are no headings. Also I feel like dystopia was  trying to nickel and dime me by making me pay for mail notifications in a subscription, but I undersand that it's single dev, and didn't have to do it. If it was possible I'd pay to get dystopia on android, windows, and mac. That's how annoyed I'm at the rest of the reddit experience.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2020-07-02 07:30:47

@techmaster20 the payments don't actually go through in the beta version.

If you look at the bugs post on the dystopia subreddit, you'll see htat you need to renew it each week but nothing goes through.

I don't mind old.reddit personally, if you want a quicker way to get to your subs, use the list of links dialog.

And to go through the posts really fast,, go to the post title, the part where the link is then press tab and you'll jump over all the buttons and things and straight to the next post keep using tab to jump through posts fast.

As for typing, have you tried dictation?

There was going to be a reddit app developed for windows for the blind on this forum but I don't know if that's still happening.

2020-07-02 10:58:09

@brad, I think that was more a concept idea than anything else I'm afraid. Please correct me if someone knows the current status. Also, what on earth have you done with FlickType? Works flawless 99% of the time for me!

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-07-02 12:38:46

Do'es dystopia is for android too?
I afrait the android allways is skipped in blind community.
good games, only IOS.
For android none.

meow meow.

2020-07-02 12:42:58

@PatrykK, sorry but dystopia is only on IOS.

@DJEPIC, you're right; it was just a concept.