2020-06-30 04:29:23

Hi.
Title says it all. The other day, I was looking through my twitter feed, and I saw that someone used Chicken Nugget which I've been told is no longer functional. Did the devs bring it back? Or did someone else find a way to make it work again?

2020-06-30 05:05:26

If you have an authenticated copy, it stays authenticated until you reinstall it, for whatever reason.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-06-30 09:50:13

Also the one who I see using it most is the developer himself.

2020-06-30 10:18:00

Yeah. Most likely he already fixed it and just isn't releasing it because, Uh, I dunno, he's Q? Kind of bullshit when you consider the fact that myself and lots of others actually paid for the dam thing.

2020-06-30 15:35:19

Am Nocturnus.  I have a cure for chronic procrastinitis and I'm not releasing it even if I know it could benefit everyone in the world, because my name, is Nocturnus!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-06-30 15:48:54

@Nocturnus, Hahahaha. Was it good back in the day? Just asking cause obviously using the official service or TWBlue is free. Did it stand out? Or was it the best, simply cause it was the only one? Also, how much did it cost while it was a thing?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-06-30 16:42:16

It was good when it was first released, but degraded in quality as time went on.  He tried to make it store all tweets ever locally, rather than just polling the API, and that caused all sorts of issues, and would just slowly make it less responsive until you reset it.  It also had a lot of...odd...UI choices.

My Blog

2020-06-30 16:46:25

Yeah, what 7 said.  I want to say it was originally 15 US dollars?  When it first launched it was exactly what I personally wanted so I felt it wasn't money thrown away.  Obviously, the service has outlasted the application, so it is what it is.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-06-30 16:55:48

Nope. I ate all the chicken nuggets. They were good too. Now I'm over 9000.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-06-30 21:01:09

The website still says you can purchase it at least from what I saw. Not sure whether or not this is accurate but apparently you can still do it

2020-06-30 21:35:06

@devinprater is the archetype of the phrase super sized!  I wondered where my McNuggets went and then I saw post 9!  Shame on you!

2020-06-30 21:37:35

@Nocturnus, well, I once had a pet. It was a very good pet, always behaving itself. One day, it went missing. That pet was a Chicken McNugget, and I ate it cause I was hungry. I was very sad...

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-09-01 01:27:43

\ Ah, that chicken app! I eaven don't know if the dev updates it or what, but I'm afrade it is there, just like a zombie.

73 Wj3u

2020-09-01 03:31:21

Yup, very sad indeed. Not that I'd really expect any less from the likes of Q.
Something I find rather interesting, if chicken nugget was based off of qwitter's source code, and if qwitter was GPL, isn't the fact that chicken nugget is both closed source and paid technically illegal? Not that it matters, that ship has long since sailed, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this. Just adds to the long list of Q's sketchy decisions.

2020-09-01 05:00:03

Chicken Nugget is original code.

My Blog

2020-09-01 05:03:15

Erg, capslock being next to tab, sorry. Chicken nugget is original code.  I was in that circle for the development of it and used to have access to his private source repositories once upon a time.  Whatever else you might say about Q there wasn't code theft to my knowledge.  I can't positively attest that there wasn't code theft, just that I never saw it if there was, and that I was in the room for enough of the development that I can say with a  straight face that the effort put in was commensurate with him having started from scratch.

My Blog

2020-09-01 08:07:11

What I don't like about the guy is that he basically allows people to buy the thing which he knows that the person will never be able to use.
I have uspported him by buying CN when it was a thing and QRead, but I really regret it, not because QRead is bad, but because the dev is not a good man.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-09-01 16:18:07

I have a lot of negative things I could say about Q and won't defend him in general, but I'm not sure why everyone gets so mad that products stopped being updated.  Every single product on the face of the earth stops being updated eventually.  If you're not allowed to stop updating stuff, then you can't make a profit unless it's a subscription service.  If his purchase page is still accepting payment, that's a problem, but not updating the thing anymore, especially since it not being able to work well is in large part Twitter's fault, I don't get it.

Everyone pays finite money around here, and expects devs to put in infinite effort.  Why should someone put in infinite effort for $20 per user or whatever it was when the userbase is so tiny that that $20 per user probably stopped rolling in a long time ago, and when the thing you're working with broke their API with the almost explicit intent of pushing third party clients out?  $20 doesn't buy you 10 years of maintenance or something, yet everyone here thinks it should.  Yes, being blind often means $20 is a lot of money, but it's time for everyone to re calibrate and realize that while $20 being a lot of money is a sucky place to be in, that doesn't give you the right to continually pull others down to your level and demand tons of work for it.

And god forbid someone launch a subscription service like Swamp for $20 a year, can't have that either.  I've got news for all of you.  Devs have the right to make money.

That said, Chicken Nugget was always buggy as hell, which was a problem, and I think he should probably have open sourced it, except that it was such a mess that no one would have been able to fix it I think.  So, I'm not defending the product, in the end.  It got to the point where it'd just freeze for 30 seconds sometimes just because for a lot of us.  But I can't even begin to describe how irritated this entitled "I bought a thing for $20, therefore it must be maintained forever or the dev is an evil person" mentality is.

My Blog

2020-09-01 17:18:25

People are upset, rightfully so, because he said something along the lines of for each tweet asking me when I will update the program to support 280 characters, I will extend the period for 280 minutes, go outside or something along those very professional lines. If I did that, it would be perfect advertising for my commercial products which you absolutely should not buy. In general, it sucks to screw over your paid customers like that, especially when other free solutions clearly can do what you refuse to. Thankfully, I'm not paying to developers with attitudes of kids, so I can go outside and find free, perfectly working solutions.

2020-09-01 17:35:10

if there was some specific incident where he made a promise and broke it that's different, but every time this comes up no one actually says that, so this is news to me.  Believable news, but news nonetheless.

My Blog

2020-09-01 17:39:40

Camlorn, maybe my post was not so obvious, as I am not a native english speaker. It's his full right to stop updating the software, but he's basically stealing money from people who are not a part of this community, or new to it or just whatever.
Imagine being a first-day user of the sites for the blind. You see a Twitter client called CHicken Nugget! Its exactly what you need! So you go to the page, shell out your 15 bucks and? Yeah, no way to use the software. It's not a fair attitude.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-09-01 17:58:49

@21
He's still accepting payment for it even though you can't authorize it?

My Blog

2020-09-01 19:18:12

wow, first I've heard of this, but if this is the case, that's pretty bad.

2020-09-01 19:24:31

I mean, it at least ties with that time we all helped him get funding for NVDA remote under the understanding that it'd be open source and then he decided to keep the server closed source just because.

I want to be clear: I'm not defending him in general.

My Blog

2020-09-01 19:44:07 (edited by Lucas1 2020-09-01 19:49:27)

The page for the software still existed last I checked, but it wasn't in the menu on the website. Whether the payment process would go through entirely is something I don't know because I obviously didn't want to try LOL. In general I wouldn't level accusations at Q of doing shady business because there's no specific example I can point to that still applies today, but he's just generally shit at customer service with attitudes towards the upkeep of his software that make me not want to pay for any of it ever again. I think I heard a while ago that his Captcha Be Gone thing didn't work anymore and he was still taking payment for that, but I've never used that so don't take that from me, someone else would have to confirm that.
Edit: And to be clear, I would support a smaller cost for major versions when those get released. I think QRead is like $15 or something. For each additional update that adds more useful features or fixes mission-critical bugs or whatever, I would pay $5 or something like that. I'm not saying that $15 should entitle you to a free license for lifetime updates.