2020-04-09 02:05:23

Question: If some enemies had special attacks, how often could they use them without it becoming annoying?

For instance, you are fighting a dragon, obviously if it did a massive fire breath attack each turn, that would be ridiculous. But if it were every 3 or 4 turns, maybe that's fine? These attacks might be in addition to their normal attack, maybe not. This is mainly for breath weapons for certain enemies, but there are a few other special attacks being implemented that will probably have the same frequency just to make things easy.

On a side note, I did implement what I'm calling hybrid enchantments in the dev version and an accompanying achievement for equipping hybrid gear. These are just the basic elemental gear though, so you wont find fire/spikes or retribution/healing. But there is an enchantment that has all 4 elements and luck rolled into one.

2020-04-10 00:14:49

malachi1616 wrote:

Question: If some enemies had special attacks, how often could they use them without it becoming annoying?

For instance, you are fighting a dragon, obviously if it did a massive fire breath attack each turn, that would be ridiculous. But if it were every 3 or 4 turns, maybe that's fine? These attacks might be in addition to their normal attack, maybe not. This is mainly for breath weapons for certain enemies, but there are a few other special attacks being implemented that will probably have the same frequency just to make things easy.

On a side note, I did implement what I'm calling hybrid enchantments in the dev version and an accompanying achievement for equipping hybrid gear. These are just the basic elemental gear though, so you wont find fire/spikes or retribution/healing. But there is an enchantment that has all 4 elements and luck rolled into one.

How can I access the dev version to try it out? Sorry if you've explained this already. I might have missed something since I haven't been following this thread closely.

2020-04-10 02:37:04

LivingForGod1991 wrote:

How can I access the dev version to try it out? Sorry if you've explained this already. I might have missed something since I haven't been following this thread closely.

The dev version isn't public, but I have been toying around with the idea of creating a beta site where people could log in and try out new features before they get into the game. People would have to know though that they couldn't export saves from the dev version because it might break things. I would maybe want to put in a fail save so the live version knows that a save string is from dev and not to load it. Also, people would have to understand that the dev version would be full of bugs, and not available all the time due to errors or other things I'm working through.

If that is something people would be interested in, I can make the dev builds public.

2020-04-10 06:19:57

I am personally generally happy to wait until things are ready to go live to try them out, since with infinicrawl being generally a progressive game, I'd find it mildly annoying to progress in the dev version, then have that progress not workable in the live version, I'm also happy to wait and see features when they're at least ready for public consumption, since it's not as if you don't tweak the live version as well from time to time too.

That being said, anything you specifically want me to have a look at I'd be glad to help.

As regards enchantments, that sounds good, as I said, the more the merrier.

For special attacks, it depends upon how often they're likely to succeed. I always personally find it a little bit unfair in games if an enemy is hitting me with a constant special attack I can do nothing about, especially if otherwise I'm murdering the enemy quite successfully with the standard combat.

If special attacks are to have a miss or fumble chance, then obviously it doesn't matter if they activate a little more often, indeed I'm guessing they'll be activating more frequently as a player's scene count rises.

It might even be nice if elemental weaknesses came into special attacks somewhere, EG if a player's watery equipment created too much dampness in the air for a dragon to get a good fire going, which would also make those elemental weakness zones on later levels far more dangerous, though I don't know how detailed you've got in terms of the properties of the various attacks.

The only thing I do hope, is that you don't make special attack frequency depend upon luck, since at the moment luck is already imho one of the most useful stats in the game, what with it providing both dodge chance and! improved loot.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-04-10 20:18:41

Is there a way for me to tlel when the game has been updated? I want to try all this new stuff, but either i am missing something, or my progress is too slow for me to see any of this new stuff. Wish i hadn't deleted my save because of that NA bug a couple of months back.

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-04-10 21:43:10

jescat277 wrote:

Is there a way for me to tlel when the game has been updated? I want to try all this new stuff, but either i am missing something, or my progress is too slow for me to see any of this new stuff. Wish i hadn't deleted my save because of that NA bug a couple of months back.

Right now the best way to tell if there is an update is to look at the updates page on the wiki, but I also post any updates here.

Here is a link to the current update page: https://infinicrawl.fandom.com/wiki/Updates_2020

When I release the new update with the food/energy tweaks and a bunch of other stuff, I'll post it to that so you can see what changed.

2020-05-04 22:42:04

Hey. I really appreciate what you have made of this game so far, and I am hoping that life is treating you well during these uncertain times. I was also wondering when the next update is coming out, because I know that you had it posted on the dev web site some time ago. Keep up the good work, if you want to of course, and I wish you well during these uncertain times.

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-05-05 19:31:48

jescat277 wrote:

Hey. I really appreciate what you have made of this game so far, and I am hoping that life is treating you well during these uncertain times. I was also wondering when the next update is coming out, because I know that you had it posted on the dev web site some time ago. Keep up the good work, if you want to of course, and I wish you well during these uncertain times.

I don't have a estimate timeline for the release, but I've been working hard on getting it finished. This release in particular has a lot of big changes. They might seem like small changes in the end, but in the code they've required rewriting huge sections. I've been trying to get better about releasing it with fewer bugs and more testing, so that's also contributing to a longer release cycle. But it shouldn't be too long.

2020-06-28 00:06:17 (edited by malachi1616 2020-06-28 00:12:32)

Sorry for the long delay but I've uploaded a new version of InfiniCrawl to itch.io and my website. Here are the links just cause i have them handy:

http://games.buddywagner.com/InfiniCraw … Crawl.html
https://malachi1616.itch.io/infinicrawl

This update is a major overhaul to the game. It required huge rewrites and nearly every system in the game was touched on some level. Here are the major changes:

New Summer event active from now until August including a new zone with zone-specific enchantment, consumable item and zone effect. Also, I've already got the fall event mostly planned out and ready to go. After fall, there will be very few, if any special events. I don't want to turn this into a crazy event game to the point where its annoying. Also once you retire you can get a pet that allows you to time warp into seasonal events, so that you dont have to wait all year to get the seasonal achievements.

I've lowered the retirement level to 50 and changed the way retirement works, subtly. When you retire, you will now get a 5% xp bonus and increased starting level to new characters which persists through retirements and stacks up. For example, after you retire your 5th time you would start at level 6 (5 extra levels), and get a +25% xp bonus. Enemies also get a little boost in difficulty and you will start to see new special attacks from enemies after your first retirement. Your level limit also goes up by 1 level per retirement. But you'll always have a 50 level span. So for instance, your second retirement will be at level 52, third at 53 etc. The last retirement will be at level 100 and as of right now that is effectively the end of the game. You can still go on forever, but you will no longer encounter new enemies after level 100 (until I expand, if I ever do, this is quite a lot of game content so far that a lot of people probably will not ever get to).

I am going to try to use these retirement breakpoints to add new content to the game. So for instance, right now, you must retire in order to get access to pets. The next time I release new content it will be behind the second retirement barrier and so on. There will still be new content added for everyone, but new game features that increase your character's strength will be behind retirement barriers. And it might not be single retirements, after the 3rd I might jump to 5 retires etc. we'll see.

I've removed the difficulty levels. Everyone will be playing in the same difficulty now. The whole concept of difficulty was introduced originally so that I didnt have to balance things and if the game was too hard you could just turn it down. Then it morphed into playing on easy until you felt like you could move up, but with no real incentive to do so. Now everyone is effectively on 'hard' all of the time. To combat this, you begin the game with starting gear to help you get over the first few bosses. After that you're on your own. There will be unlucky runs where you don't get very far, and the first part of the game might be a little tricky sometimes. Further tweaking may be necessary, we'll see.

Because of the difficulty change, I've also eliminated the fake "too long in this prestige" enemy buff that artificially increased enemy difficulty if you've stayed in the same run for a large number of scenes. This was hard to balance and this brings prestiging back to its original purpose, which was: to save your game.

Achievements have been changed. You no longer get a damage bonus from achievements, only a health increase. That is because, I've added a Bestiary system to the game. It works similarly to achievements, but you collect new entries when you defeat a new enemy type (currently there are 168 types of enemies in the game). You get a damage bonus based on the number of enemies you have defeated in relation to the whole. So for example if you've defeated 50% of the available enemies (currently 84) you would get half that in damage, or a 25% damage boost. You also get a small damage increase for goes up based on your total kills. This is basically phase 1 of the bestiary, I do plan on having bits of information about the enemies in this as well as you acquire more kills, more information is revealed, but that's down the road a bit. The bestiary, like achievements is on its own tab that will appear after you make your first kill and this data is saved in your save string along with everything else. Since achievements don't increase damage anymore, I'm adding back in the damage achievements.

Companions (previously called Pets) has been reworked quite a bit, not that it matters, since the level 100 retirement requirement hadn't been reached yet.

Some new things can happen to your character, like becoming paralyzed or burned by certain attacks.

Potions have had a bit of a rework. You can condense the potions you have, reducing them by half to make all potions more powerful. They will also become more rare. This equates to the same basic amount of potion healing overall, but less clicking of the drink button.

Energy has also been reworked. You will no longer passout if you run out of energy. Instead your attacks will become weaker. You no longer have an 'Eat' button, it has been replaced with a 'Rest' button. Resting will recover as much energy as you can, based on your food amount, at 1 energy per food. Water bonus no longer contributes to the effect of food, but it does contribute to nearly every other consumable now. Resting brings another new hazard though, in that enemies can ambush you while you rest, the longer the rest, the more likely the ambush.

Food is a resource that you'll want to stock pile, because companions require food to gain levels. There will be times when you'll be low on energy but need to save up to level a companion, and have to suffer through the low damage output.

I'll be updating the wiki later today as well.

As always, the standard disclaimer: I've tested it A LOT. But I can't catch everything on my own, please let me know if you run into issues. Also let me know if the later scenes are too easy. I think they might need a little extra bump.

2020-06-28 07:56:19

I forget how adicting this game is, but I notice something strange with the buttons in the new version, for example new game, it becomes , button new, and below it button game.
same goes with the inventory interface.
button drop.
button gear.
button drop
button all.

2020-06-28 13:49:58

What @JasonBlaze is trying to say is, the button is outputting to more than one line for him, not two separate buttons. Just thought I'd try to clear up the confusion. So NVDA is seeing the word drop on one line and the word all on the next, but as one button.

2020-06-28 18:13:34

@aaron: ah there you go, thank you for explaining it more clearer smile

2020-06-28 18:28:36

Whoa weird. Is that happening for anyone else? Im guessing youre using chrome? Ill try to reproduce the issue and see what i can do.

2020-06-28 18:36:14

So excited about this. I have all ready tried it, and love the new energy feature.

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-06-28 18:52:36 (edited by Dark 2020-06-28 18:52:57)

Wow, great new update, albeit it seems dropping the difficulty has also made my save from hard sort of invincible, being as I was on scene 350 and still taking about two damage from each attack with over 2000 hp big_smile.
Still, since my max scene is 538 and my max level is 47, I should be able to retire soon and see those new companions which sound cool.
At the moment I'm really liking the new changes, especially the bestiary and new weapon types, it's nice to be able to play the game again and be surprised by new pieces of armour and effects, especially those duel elemental effects.

Personally, I have no problem with seasonal event zones cropping up, especially if they're available all year round with a special companion, indeed as I've said before, the more zones and environment types the better I'd be pleased, actually, the summer one is an interesting one I didn't expect, and made for probably the best named enemy ever!

Chocolatier fleshgraze!

Wow, talk about soft centres big_smile.

Now, bug time.
firstly, I've noticed that instead of experience to level, the stats display simply lists energy, indeed that threw me at first.
I also noticed my cursed/poisoned status wans't being read, though this might have something to do with the xp labelling issue since if I remember rightly, previously it was necessary to click on xp to learn about status effects.

As to the button business, you only get the label read on two separate lines if you read down with the arrows.
I usually hit b for button myself, and using that method the labels are read in their entirety, which makes me think it's possibly a formatting or pagination issue somewhere.

Just for kicks I gave it a try in Microsoft Edge, and it did the same thing, so it's probably not chrome specific.

I also noticed that for some odd reason, the first scene of each knew zone featured a monster from the old zone not from the new zone, so I was fighting an automaton on the first scene of the summer feast, and an animate dessert in the maze which was sort of amusing.

I also noticed cannibals everywhere, though amusingly enough when encountering them outside the summer feast, they were lost cannibals, though actually if sticking one seasonal monster in regular zones is going to be a thing, that sounds rather fun (I look forward to smacking in evil snowmen and mad elves in the temple big_smile.

I also noticed that once I'd been attacked whilst resting, I still seemed to have to hit rest multiple times, recovering 11-15 points each to get to max energy, though I'll need to try the game again to confirm this as I was just getting used to how the new ambush mechanic worked and when I was more/less likely to get attacked.

As I said though, amazing update, and I look forward to exploring more of it, especially getting to retirement.

Thanks again for the fantastic work you put into this game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-06-29 00:47:55

yes, I am useing crome smile

2020-06-29 07:22:11

I'll take a look at the button thing, that is weird. But I always use the b key in NVDA also to go between buttons, I never noticed this. I wonder how long it has been doing this?

The visual display on the xp to level looks ok to me. It may be the aria label that got populated incorrectly. Probably a copy/paste error, I'll check it out.

Indeed the seasonal enemies, do spill over into the regular zones. The lost cannibals are an example of this. The previous seasonal events had similar things like Sentient Invasive Plants for the spring event and Stray Reindeer for the winter event.

I didn't notice the enemies spilling over into the first scene of the next zone though. That is weird. I'll check on that as well.

When you are ambushed during a rest, you should have to hit rest again to keep going, depending on when you were interrupted during the rest, the amount you would have healed before the ambush would vary. But, you should only need to hit the rest button one time after that to keep resting. Unless of course you were ambushed again. I'll see if I can recreate this issue and figure it out.

Thanks for the bug reports everyone I'll get on them as soon as I can smile

2020-06-29 09:24:49

since this update I think

2020-06-30 03:35:20

I've got the experience heading fixed. Not sure what happened to it, that part of the code was totally gone. I don't remember what it said before but now it tells you how much xp to next level and also what the percentage is. Still working on the other stuff.

2020-06-30 04:12:04

holy... the game became too hard... i even failed to get to level3.

hi. i am a dark matter miner. yeah, i am setting mines that when something steps on it, it will explode and release huge amount of dark matters. oh sorry... i am a slave miner, i am mining dark matters...

2020-06-30 04:22:32 (edited by malachi1616 2020-06-30 04:41:02)

necrozma wrote:

holy... the game became too hard... i even failed to get to level3.

You're right that second boss is a lot harder than I anticipated it would be, looking into adjusting the early game boss health.

On a side note, I think I've fixed the button reading issue as well. But NVDA is acting really strangely for me now. I dunno if its the new version or whatever, but I keep getting stuck in typing mode randomly and it just reads every button I press. I have to refresh the page to get out of it. Also half the time I load the page, it doesn't find any buttons at all, it just reports blank over and over. Again, refreshing the page helps.

2020-06-30 05:21:52

Do I need to prestige after retiring before I can find eggs? I retired the first time, played all the way through, retired again, and just started my third play through. I never found an egg during the second Play through and wondered if I needed to do something to make that happen. Great job with the new update, you really pulled out all the stops with this one. Loving it!

2020-06-30 05:37:39

Skhye wrote:

Do I need to prestige after retiring before I can find eggs? I retired the first time, played all the way through, retired again, and just started my third play through. I never found an egg during the second Play through and wondered if I needed to do something to make that happen. Great job with the new update, you really pulled out all the stops with this one. Loving it!

No, you shouldn't need to prestige. You already retired twice? The eggs are a random drop they only appear after scene 100.

2020-06-30 10:30:27

is there any great tip about this? i cannot beat the second boss...

hi. i am a dark matter miner. yeah, i am setting mines that when something steps on it, it will explode and release huge amount of dark matters. oh sorry... i am a slave miner, i am mining dark matters...

2020-06-30 17:42:30 (edited by malachi1616 2020-06-30 17:44:25)

necrozma wrote:

is there any great tip about this? i cannot beat the second boss...

I did a little bit of rebalancing, lowered the health and damage ramp a little bit, but also made sure that bosses always drop gear in addition to their other items. Do a hard refresh your page if you still have it up, CTRL+F5, to get the new version.

As for tips, make sure you don't waste potions, once you beat the boss, you'll get a full heal on heath and energy when you go to a new zone. So no need to heal up after a boss fight. Also make sure you always search after every enemy. Regular scenes have a 25% chance to drop an item, enemy scenes have a 33% chance. Boss zones always drop items, at least 1 piece of gear and have a chance to drop a chest with an heirloom piece.

The first few zones you wont need to rest as they are too short, so dont worry about resting until at least the 3rd or fourth zone.

Don't be afraid to use your wooden nickels, bosses always drop wooden nickels. The sooner you can buy one of the prestige items, the better you'll do. Sell any gear you dont need.

Any gear you get from a drop is always 100% better than the gear you start with, always replace it as soon as you can.