2020-06-27 19:55:28

So firstly I'm running Windows 8.1. recently. Yesterday. I had to turn off my computer. I turned it off normally but now when I start up there is literally no sound is playing. Getting   things like  ocr  is hard because my screen is kind of broken in a way that even sighted people have to struggle to read with. Pressing Windows enter to run narrator is stopped working or  whatever. I made sure that the sound is not muted. I pressed the mute button a lot   and while I'm doing that I was testing the sound. As usual when life want to be really hard. Nothing happened. Anything I can do?

2020-06-27 20:08:43

You're probably in a pre-boot sequence. At this point, I can only suggest sighted help or OCRing. What did you do last time you shut down the computer? Anything different? Remember that the updated shortcut to enable Narrator is ctrl+win+enter, not win+enter.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-06-27 20:19:07

In my version of Windows 8.1. I used to press Windows enter .  as I said getting cited assistance is hard until some days later. And OCR is nearly impossible due to the screen status

2020-06-27 20:38:45

Also I'm pretty sure it's booting but something else is happening. Because it's still respecting my power plans. If I unplug the charger the brightness will go down just like what I said it to. And it can't do that if it's not booted

2020-06-27 20:41:11

Maybe the volume is turned down all the way rather than muted?
Or it could be that an update changed the default sound output device.
Also, isn't it windows control enter now?

2020-06-27 20:50:46

As was stated before, maybe it's the volume, or the output device.
What you could try:
- try turning up the volume
- insert a headphone and see if maybe that fixes stuff [some sound cards use headphones as a seperate card, ie. macbooks]
- if you're running nvda, press ctrl +nvda +s press tab, and then press down arrow and then press enter. Rins and repeat a few times, till maybe you get lucky.
- Ultimately, if you'd happen to have one, try plugging in a usb sound card or usb headset, it might just be that an update bricked your card drivers, and it's not a card that works with standard hd audio.

hth

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics

2020-06-27 20:55:06

At defender. In my version of Windows 8.1 I use Windows enter and it's working fine. I will try to do all of the above

2020-06-27 21:12:46

omg that is so quick! I followed what @6 sed and it just, solved, then I went and set back the diffult sound driver because I found it somehow changed

2020-06-27 21:14:19

thanks a lot! and sorry for being so stupid

2020-06-27 21:46:14

NP @Meatbag, it happens. Like the other day I thought my computer was out again, and I was really scared, but in reality I just had to wait a couple minutes. Also, are you fully blind, or have a little sight? If you answered yes to the former, well, I'd be more alert and scared the slightest thing went on.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-06-27 21:48:16

I do have some site, though, I can only se light, it wont help me with anything, but hmm... better than nothing... I think

2020-06-27 22:00:07

Well OK.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-06-27 22:03:15

The keystroke did get changed in windows 10, it's control win enter, but that didn't back port I don't think.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-06-27 22:08:27

@13 yeah
in windows 8 you have to press windows enter, not ctrl windows enter

2020-06-27 23:40:59

Well what I really hate are devices that run spicifically to that device.
My brother used to use a set of good headsets.
These were for his speech.
Sound switched to the sets when in use.
Sound didn't switch to anything else unless that set was in and running and then you could switch to something else.
I once had to do some work on his system, and luckily the set was there so I could use it to switch to the internal card again.
I always keep a usb card with me and a set of cheap headphones so I get sounds so I can switch back.
Hdmi anything especially if it doesn't have speakers on it like a screen is a real problem.
Windows aint smart enough to check if that is the case so when hdmi is plugged it assumes another output.
I could see how that would work if my stereo had an hdmi output but really that would be it.
To be honest, I have had a interesting conversation with people I fix computers with.
Them, I noticed things took a long time and my data seems to be off the system.
Me, the system was broken.
Them, what happened?
Me, there was no sound so I couldn't get access to it.
Them, so?
Me, well I needed to reformat so I could use windows, please make sure you use the default sound card next time.
Sometimes this was broken or speakers were broken but still gets me angry.
I am seriously thinking that in the future I will keep a cheap shitty card in all the places I work so if I need it then I can use it at least.
They don't cost much for an emergency card, a pair of really crappy piece o shit headphones cost 5 or so dollars.
And a cheap 7.1 soundcard from atguys cost me 10 bucks.
Technically windows is supposed to change default devices automatically but its always chosing the first device plugged into it.
And for some reason, the hdmi or your usb soundcard take priority to the other cards.
I personally would like windows to never change to any other card even if default was plugged in.
Either that or have nvda always use the default internal card all the time.
Its also a pitty that most windows programs including some games don't start on cards that actually work, or are in the wrong place.

2020-06-28 02:04:39 (edited by NevEd 2020-06-28 02:05:44)

This happened on my new laptop. Unfortunately installing drivers is a minor pain in the ass and when you install intel smart sound, your internal card is temporarily disabled. This is why I've been meaning to get a cheap USB card that outputs a headphone signal for cases like this. Luckily my samson metier mic came to the rescue.
That is a damn good $80 mic, still, to this day.
Not stupid, BTW. I learned all I know about computers by being inquisitive and looking up information when I was stuck. Best way to do it.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2020-06-29 21:57:04

Glad it all worked out in the end. There's nothing dumb and or stupid with having pc problems, most if not all people eventually face them:D. And it's a good thing you just took the plunge and asked for help. Always remember: there are no dumb questions, only the answers differ in quality.

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics