2020-06-23 14:16:44

@25, I'm soooo sceptical of this, CSR. Like soooo reluctant you don't know.
I've also heard that about Apple. Take for example the headphone jack.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-06-23 14:43:05

For those who had issues with 13, I wonder what you were using.  I noticed a bit more lagginess on my 6s+, but overall I'd say it did alright until I decided to upgrade to SE2020.  the biggest killer for me was obviously the battery, but I honestly felt like it was to be expected given my 6s+ had been in operation for nearly four years.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-06-23 14:46:49

I had some problems with 13 in the early stages of the betas, primarily this huge App Store crashing bug. Did anyone else experience something with 13 that would turn off speak auto text randomly without you actually turning it off?

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2020-06-23 14:53:07 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-06-23 14:53:30)

@TheEvilChocolateCookie, No, cause I didn't deal with the beta. On a different note, when using activities that are different languages, has anyone noticed slight unwanted voice changes? Okay, here's my situation.
I've got my normal activity which is set to use Alex, and an activity I use for reading, using Nora (the new Siri female voice). I also have that set to trigger when I read messages, which is nice because it only speaks messages, not UI elements. The issue is, it also uses my reading activity to speak the message input itself, and when I use BSI to type, it switches to the Samantha compact voice. Why is it switching voices, and why isn't it just using my normal activity?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-06-23 15:04:31

@27, I hat a 7+

_____

2020-06-23 15:33:40

I use an iPhone X and iOS 13 worked most if not all the time for me even in the beta stage

If you wish to contact me privately, you can do so in the following ways.
Telegram, Rich_Beardsley. Discord, RichBeardsley. Facebook, Rich W. Beardsley
Twitter, RichBeardsley. Email, [email protected]. Both iMessages and emails are welcome.
Battle tag, Rich#12744. You can also add me through my email address.

2020-06-23 16:00:06

Bwahahahahahaha, you have seriously got to be kidding me? I mean... right?

rwbeardjr wrote:

And as for iOS, I feel like iOS 11 was the downfall of iPhones because of them removing thirty-two bit support

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-06-23 16:09:34

25, I'd say that's highly debatable. The headphone jack, and to an extent the finger print reader, are really the only examples I can think of off of the top of my head that really prove your point, and the former only really took off because people like thinner phones for whatever reason, despite the obvious flaws with a thinner design, and aren't savvy enough to notice, much less care about, the quolity drop that bluetooth unfortunately brings, excluding things like the airpods and other wireless earbuds like them since they don't work from pure bluetooth. The rest of apple's so called inivations have been standards in android since the beginning of time itself. Also, it's great that voiceover on IOS is getting some love, but seriously what about mac OS? Their updates to the thing have pretty much all been entirely cosmetic.

2020-06-23 16:11:02

Another thing worth mentioning. The removed headphone jack is *not* an industry standard. There are some notable android phones that have adopted it, but many have not, for I think, quite obvious reasons.

2020-06-23 16:38:06

@32 or we just have different usecases? I don't use a braille display or an external keyboard, so I won't notice any bugs related to those for example. I do however do a lot of web browsing on my phone, as well as various other things. Nowadays, I also very rarely use the on screen keyboard and prefer braille screen input pretty much anywhere, so if a bug was there it would probably take me longer to notice and it would not affect me that much.

@34 I mean, it's pretty obvious that a lot of this stuff is Android inspired, but I don't see what is there to complain about that. Being able to set your default browser and mail was in Android ever since I started using it. This can only be a good thing.

2020-06-23 16:39:44 (edited by Nocturnus 2020-06-23 16:40:58)

Bwuh?  Thirty two bit has been going out the window like, for a very long long time?  I mean, 64bit computing has been around for what, the past 20 years and only became truly mainstream with the introduction of Vista, and we still haven't perfected it but at least it's practically working, and you think we should stick to 32 bit computing?  Most of us hope and wish we could live to see a 128bit CPU but at present that's looking rather doubtful, given that even at 64bit we're not able to harness all of the power we'd like to unless we resort to using bigger machines to accomodate for better processors, and nobody wants to do that.
More to the point though?  I doubt any manufacturer sees the need at present or a way to justify it to even start producing it, let alone selling it.  Doing away with 32 bit was necessary because honestly, why on earth would you want to downgrade or degrade your performance and introduce everything from security issues to ram trouble... I really don't understand, particularly since, if you've bought a computer in the last 10 years you are practically garunteed to have a 64bit processor already!  Wanting to hold on to 32bit computing is a lot like wanting to clutch windows XP to yourself and saying it still works in the mainstream market!  so it only follows by simple logic that if 64bit computing is here to stay, you'd want your phones to have it, too!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-06-23 17:05:17

No, the auto text thing was in the public versions too.

2020-06-23 18:50:06

@34 my Moto G stylus has a headphone jag and I can tell that their is a delay with bluetooth compared to using the jag

2020-06-23 18:53:57

@haily_merry, Yeah, I, by no means, agree with that crowd, just giving you something else to bash I suppose, which is why I have the best of both worlds.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-06-23 19:23:47 (edited by George_Gaylord 2020-06-23 19:26:13)

Hmm, if I told my friend that Apple copied android in this update he'll tell me some bullshit about how its not true, and yadadadadada and how Apple will make it better. He's sooo blind.

At the end of the day, as DJEPIC was kinda saying, no OS, mobile OS has it all and it would be foolish to say that one is better than the other overall. You can say that IOS creams android in accessibility, but you cant say the same for customisability, freedom, inovation, choice and obviously the pricing.

_____

2020-06-23 19:26:58

Well, in some ways this is true. The Android app list does not automatically sort apps into categories, this is more inspired by the Windows start menu.

2020-06-23 19:41:51

I think both systems have their good points. Android is getting better with accessibility, but as much as I love some of the features, I could never move over fully. I would lose a good chunk of my software and all of my purchased audiobooks if I did that, and I'm not buying a bunch of books again.

2020-06-23 19:45:29

@41:
That's only if you use the AOSP or stock Android or something. Most of the manufacturers will give you option to sort apps in to categories. Hell if they don't, free accessible launchers from playstore will do it.

2020-06-23 20:11:54

Absolutely, but we are talking native Android here. The native Pixel launcher as far as I know does not do that. You can probably find an Android launcher that emulates IOS layouts too, but that doesn't mean Android is copying iOS.

2020-06-23 21:17:29

In terms of who had what first, Android is still winning out.  First to encorporate NFC, first to incorporate push notifications, first to incorporate a notifications center, third party keyboards, predictive typing, automatic app updates, true multitasking functionality, mobile payment options, turn by turn navigation, wireless syncing, and on and on the list goes.  Beyond that, Android speak for itself with all the things it has that iOS doesn't have, such as the ability to set default apps, a number of options for expandable storage, Customizable lock screen shortcuts, and yes, dare I say it, FM radio!  Oh sure, iOS devices can do it, but Apple doesn't want you to!  so yes, speaking as someone who's been riding the iOS bandwagon for nearly 10 years and even has my kids on it, Android does offer more than iOS in many camps you may not care to admit to.  If only we could get accessibility up to scratch now... I still wonder if comentary may honestly be the way forward, like the NVDa of Android.

2020-06-23 21:31:41 (edited by haily_merry 2020-06-23 21:33:36)

Nocturnus, some would have you believe that it is. I personally don't however, and I use talkback on the daily. I do have commentary installed however, and I've tried it, but it still leaves a lot to be desired in my humble opinion. It's a lot more responsive than TB, and it has OCR that is apparently pretty good, I wouldn't know since it's locked behind a paywall, and I refuse to go through a service like telegram just to buy a screen reader. It also isn't officially on the play store, you have to sideload it. That isn't so bad in the android world, and a lot of apps do this, much the same as on windows, but something to keep in mind none the less. Talkback is also getting better and better, google are finally listening. We've just recently gotten native braille screen input along with a few other misc niceties, and I've heard more will be on the way very soon.
I also wouldn't discount the possibility of Samsung's voice assistant. Of course you can only get it if you buy one of their phones, but it's a very good option none the less. Has an actual rotor that allows you to do regular flick left / right scrolling whilst it's being used, magic tap like on IOS, etc.

2020-06-23 22:21:00 (edited by Boo15mario 2020-06-23 22:21:31)

@45 android even had OTA update from day one, from what I heard

2020-06-23 22:34:02 (edited by criticview 2020-06-24 19:43:49)

Nocturnus wrote:

In terms of who had what first, Android is still winning out.  First to encorporate NFC, first to incorporate push notifications, first to incorporate a notifications center, third party keyboards, predictive typing, automatic app updates, true multitasking functionality, mobile payment options, turn by turn navigation, wireless syncing, and on and on the list goes.  Beyond that, Android speak for itself with all the things it has that iOS doesn't have, such as the ability to set default apps, a number of options for expandable storage, Customizable lock screen shortcuts, and yes, dare I say it, FM radio!  Oh sure, iOS devices can do it, but Apple doesn't want you to!  so yes, speaking as someone who's been riding the iOS bandwagon for nearly 10 years and even has my kids on it, Android does offer more than iOS in many camps you may not care to admit to.  If only we could get accessibility up to scratch now... I still wonder if comentary may honestly be the way forward, like the NVDa of Android.

Can I reverse that:
Who was first with the entire toutchscreen gestures? Who was the first to allow people to reinstall their system on computers with a screenreader? Who gives you a phone that works if you press a button 3 times? Who doesn't allow expanding storage? [just imagine for a second your sd card gets jossled etc] not to mention the bottlenecking you're introducing by using sd cards as program drives etc... Who has to be happy with "general purpose apps" because they have so many models to acount for?
Yes, i know, you could dish up lists, back and forth till iturnaty here... but just figured i should post ...

<- criticview
   aka
   akilor ->
My folding at home statistics

2020-06-23 23:42:28

@haily_merry, 46, as I understand it, commentary is just getting started.  Back in NVDA's initial days, and on through I'd say 2010/2011, I still advised people to stick to JAWS if they didn't have to make the switch.  It wasn't until late 2011 and circumstances beyond my control that finally got me switched onto NVDA fulltime and appreciating it for what it was.  It took some doing, but was well worth it once I managed it.  Today, NVDA is hardly recognizable as the screenreader I first encountered in o8 that I didn't give much of a second thought because it wouldn't work well with the net or in fact with any of the other apps I used on a regular basis.  So if you appreciate NVDA now, I just want you to know that around the time you were getting ready to go to school for the first time in your life, NVDA was not quite ready for you, or me.

2020-06-23 23:51:38

@48, can you come up with a list larger than  Nocturnus's one?