2020-06-18 09:42:40

As reported by [arstechnica]:

The time has finally come, Boston Dynamics robotic quadraped Spot is now on sale on [their site] for a cool 74,500$ with a 1,000$ deposit. It weighs 71 pounds and comes with two 605Wh batteries that gives it 90 minutes of operating time a piece, 2.4GHz multi-spectrum wifi, wired gigabit ethernet, a top speed of 1.6m/s, or 3.58mph, and can handle payloads of up to 30.9 pounds. The controller is a 7-inch android tablet thats like a mix between a Nintendo Switch and an Xbox controller.

While this is likely out of many's price range, you can still flip through the [manual], checkout their [basics videos], or check out [Adam Savages] reviews of them. Note that the Spot isn't a toy or "three laws safe", and they explicitly don't want people using them at home, for example you could potentially lose a few fingers if they get near the motors while active. The Spot also comes with numerous mounted addon modules, such as the Spot Arm, Spot Camera, Spot GXP, Spot Core, a 360 degree camera, or Lidar with an integrated compute module.

If anyone also has an interest in programming for the Spot, there's the [Spot SDK] which uses Python, and a list of possible applications [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2020-06-18 13:31:11

Kool.
I submited my order.
Should be coming in the next week or so.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2020-06-18 13:35:39

Oh yes, my order is coming too!
This will be one heck of a bodyguard :d

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2020-06-18 13:56:30

Anyone want one?
I've got money that I don't wanna spend and its going to go to waiste.
Just let me know, although I wonder why I havn't bought a copy of the last of us part 2 and a ps4 yet lol.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2020-06-18 14:02:46

Lol ask Tim Cook to get you a couple.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2020-06-18 14:21:59

Mine is just sitting next to me watching and reading this thread.

2020-06-18 15:10:20

Will we end up training these in future for service dog work?  Must get DBS to pay for it...

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-06-18 15:22:41

I'm gonna go get some from apple.

My main interest is tech.
Follow me on twitter if you would like, my username is @stealthy153

2020-06-18 17:30:14

a question: how we can use it? it says that it can be used on mines, healthcare and so on.
as @1 said, they don't want them to be used at home as thats dangerous.
beside this, think that a child puts his fingers near the motors (you can consider the consequences).

2020-06-18 17:51:03

This sounds great. I can't buy it yet, I'm not sure if it will be worth anything in the end.
well, I guess it can be reprogrammed or adjusted to fit the role of guide, as, from what I've seen from the videos, it can correct its movements as not to bump in objects, even if I steer it twards the obstacle. Plus, I don't know how accessible the tablet controller/app is, so I can't say anything about that for sure. But, you know, as the thing is mostly visual, I suppose it has almost no accessibility at all.

2020-06-18 17:52:55

Well, it costs just about as much to raise and train a guide dog...
Would love to know how this sort of technology will be applied, especially since it's not being recommended for home/average consumer usage.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2020-06-18 19:06:03

Police work?  It'll probably be more sensible than teargas canisters are and less dangerous...  Hmm,  I'll see if I can't pich that one to the higher-ups.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-06-19 08:37:40 (edited by magurp244 2020-06-19 09:04:47)

@11
It would seem that SpaceX bought one immediately, as one was sighted at their Boca Chica, Texas Facility, video [here]. I imagine the robo-dog would be immensely useful for them to safely do remote inspections or repairs on Starship prototypes, such as when SN4 had a methane leak and they decided to wait until it ran out of fuel.

In terms of accessibility, Spot has 360 degree depth cameras, so it could theoretically walk ahead of someone and transmit environmental data via bluetooth to a pair of headphones, like a sonified depthmap, OCR, LIDAR, etc. essentially a mobile sensor platform. Something like a museum or other exhibit could potentially have it as a guide to direct people from point to point. Given the limited battery life though, it would probably be best used for inspecting dangerous areas, unstable buildings, bomb inspection, gathering intel on areas where enemy combatants could be, etc. Or it could maybe be used in heathcare settings to ferry test samples from around the facility to the lab, carry things like linens to the laundry, gather and deposit fresh linens in the rooms for staff, as some other robot models have been designed to do.

One way it could be useful perhaps is getting you places on foot, it could be pre-programmed for a destination, have GPS, and do localized collision avoidance. A mod could be a handle attachment, such as the kind guide dogs have bit a bit longer with controls attached to issue commands. It could transmit spacial data on its route so you know whats around you, including GPS data and such. Basically a huge walking iPhone that can pull you places and walk around obsticals. Practically though? A guide dog is still probably way better, both for instincts, recognition, companionship, well unless you count playing video games on Spot as "bonding"...

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer