2020-06-14 18:35:05 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2021-11-20 15:48:30)

Description from the playstore:

Turn-based RPG / Dungeon Crawler in a dark fantasy world (SINGLE PLAYER)

Grim Quest is a classic turn-based RPG / Dungeon Crawler with gothic aesthetics and a retro vibe. It is set in a dark fantasy world with elements of lovecraftian horror and puts a lot of emphasis on atmosphere and immersion through dark visuals, music and lots of written text.

*** FEATURES ***
- immerse in a dark fantasy world with its own history and lore
- defeat enemies and fight boss battles in a classic turn-based combat system
- manage you character's sanity or suffer unexpected consequences
- customize you character with 20 unique spells and 15 active & passive skills
- select one of 16 character backgrounds that each affect gameplay in a different way
- experience the game world through a variety of interactive, text-based events
- acquire weapons, acessories, consumable items and crafting ingredients
- complete quests and collect bounties
- manage defences of a besieged city, endure raids and other calamities
- relax or add suspense with 3 difficulty levels, optional permadeath and other adjustable settings

A couple things worth mentioning:

Not everything is fully labeled yet, but all of the important bits are, including the inventory items at the bottom of the screen within dungeons, important dungeon landmarks, all of the recipe items within the cauldron which was previously inaccessible, strengths and weaknesses of mercenary groups who defend the city, enemy types within a given dungeon, and player and enemy status effects during combat. The dev has also added image descriptions to each of the city locations to help emerge us within the game's atmosphere. Major props to him for undertaking that task. Right now the things that I can think of that are unlabeled are the three buttons on the main menu, and the avatars you can choose from when starting the game. One of the buttons on the main menu will take you to the game's facebook page, while the other will open your email client for you to send him feedback, and the final button is for the discord server.

Secondly, I asked the dev if anything could be done to eliminate the need to drag and drop spells into the play field during combat, and add auto reading of more messages during gameplay, and he said that it couldn't be done without completely overhauling the engine. As it is, this is fine and perfectly manageable with some practice. (Note), A recent update has eliminated the need to drag and drop spells, so to cast them, just cast on the spell to highlight it, then either tap or swipe on the attack area that represents the enemy you wish to attack.

During dungeon exploration, you move by doubletapping a tile that is next to your character if you are using a screen reader, so you can go left, right, up or down from your position, and your position is randomized,  as is the dungeon exit. Reading the dungeon title at the top will tell you what tile number you're on so you can swipe to it. The tiles seem to be randomized from between 5 to seven accross from your current position, so you can count them off and doubletap the fifth, sixth or seventh one depending on the dungeon if you wanted to go down or up from where you are, otherwise it is perfectly possible to just keep tapping the one on the nearest right or left swipe of you to progress. Do not panicked if the tiles you swipe accross say nothing at all, because they are not even revealed to sighted players. Once you have explored a tile containing something like a dungeon exit or important item, you'll find it there on that tile. If you guys have any feedback, just shoot the developer a mail.  He has always responded to me in a timely manner.

The game is completely free, with ads when collecting your daily wage after each dungeon run, but you can pay $2.99 to remove ads permanently for all of your characters. You can buy other optional things as well, but they are absolutely not needed to enjoy the full game. And yes, it has tons of music and sounds fitting for the setting.

Here is the link to the game on the playstore

I hope you enjoy playing the game as much as I have.

The game should be available on the iOS app store in some territories now, so just run a search for grim quest to find it.

2020-06-14 19:40:12

omg I wish this was on other platforms, this is almost making me want to get a super cheap device to play these games on.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2020-06-14 20:23:38

i'll download it right now, that's great to hear, thanks for the effort contacting the dev kenshira, you're always finding good stuff for us!
stirlock, that's exactly what i did. i bought an oukitel c16 pro chinese phone last year for 70 pounds when i was competting in London and it was worth it. commentary screen reader has so many features, the pro version even has ocr similar to windows 10.
plus a few good games like random adventure roguelike 2 which kenshira also found, plus lone wolf and so many other gamebooks.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2020-06-14 20:45:36

Let me know if you guys have questions. I know there are some things that are not apparent right away on how they function so feel free to ask If anyone needs clarification.

2020-06-15 00:13:09

Hi. The game is realy interesting, but i have one big problem: sometimes when i'm tap in the wrong place on the screen, the game is closing itself and all my progress in dungeon lost. Anyone know how to fix this?

2020-06-15 00:23:03

i think this happens because of the ads loading incorrectly at the bottom of the screen while in a dungeon. it happened three times with me, then i decided to buy the upgrade and remove ads and it didn't crash anymore, i've completed the first dungeon and am enjoying even the drag gesture to attack, because it feels like you're directing the attack toward the enemy.
it's fun

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2020-06-15 00:25:05

sorry for the double post, but the game crashed again, this time i was in the guild. it's so anoying

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2020-06-15 01:16:09 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2020-06-15 01:21:54)

Sometimes it doesnt respond for me then my phone asks me if I want to close it. I just tell it to wait and use a different attack since it usually happens in combat. Not quite sure why the crash happens, but if you can replicate it, let the dev know. I think it happens if you try to drag one of the tabs like spell or technique.

2020-06-15 16:42:46

wow, loving the game so far smile can someone explain to me some more how to cast a spell? I have the fireball spell on my spell book, what should I do with it? tried to double tap and hold then drag up, nothing happened, pritty sure I did it wrong tongue

2020-06-15 17:44:21

You need to drag it up to the center of the screen, somewhere on the middle, left or right, depending on your enemy. I find it helpful to feel where the spell is, then double tap from that position before dragging.

Also as a side note, a d because it took a while for me to figure this out, stat boosting potions, when consumed in a dungeon will last the whole current dungeon run, same with ingredients. I dont think potions can stack with potions of a similar kind, nor ingredients with ingredients of a similar kind, but a potion and an ingredient that has a similar effect can stack.

2020-06-15 22:11:07

Hi.

Another great rpg to add to my collection. I noticed that the game crashes when you touch the bottom half of the screen, I think it's probably the add? Also, I noticed that the combat system could use some improvement. For example, I have no idea what attacks my enemies were using against me. Also, wYou can't buy weapons I assume? ddo you find them in the dungeon from enemies?

Thanks.

fantasy world creationist

2020-06-15 22:32:13

Yeah, the speaking of combat messages is what I talked to the dec about, and that's also one of the things he said couldnt be done without completely overhauling the system.

As for weapons, sometimes, but not always you can find them in a shop. Some enemies drop them randomly also, and you can even find them from some dungeon events.

2020-06-16 00:06:08

It's games like this, crimson cult and random adventure roguelike that actually almost make me want to get an android device big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-06-16 08:44:16

thanks! I'll try again later.
will be nice though if there is a combat log that you can expand just to see what's going on.

2020-06-16 12:21:47

@Dark Here, her! ANdroid seems to be getting lots of RPG love these days.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2020-06-16 14:32:54

Some kind of combat log may be nice, or maybe some way to bring one up so it doesnt clutter up the screen. Personally, I'd like to see some kinda bank or sparring center in city. I might just email the dev a link to this thread in a few days with an invitation to join in the conversation, if someone hasn't done it yet, so that maybe he could address some of these feedbacks. I'm glad you guys are enjoying the game. smile

You guys without android divices, come on in! The water is fine. smile Maybe get a cheap phone or tablet to use on the side or something. I've been meaning to get an ipod touch myself so I could enjoy some of those ios games, but first I need to worry about a new pc.

2020-06-16 14:41:25 (edited by JasonBlaze 2020-06-16 14:42:35)

but man, seriously, how do you like accidentally stumble to an accessible game like this? it's just amazing lol. I've been trying a few "text game" out there on the playstore, I was like, "yeeheeheehahahaw! this might be accessible or playable!", but, noop tongue

2020-06-16 14:50:59

@17 I try tons and tons of things based on the results of a search like text-based rpg or something. I will concede that accidental accessibility are more likely to happen on ios, at least that was the case when I had my old ipod and using the method above.

2020-06-16 15:37:23

@KenshiraTheTrinity, Yep, I often go and have a poke around the internet and see what I can find myself, and it's resulted in some real gems over the years, core exiles, planet life etc.

Sadly I've not had half as much luck on Ios as I have with browser games, which is mildly disappointing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-06-23 06:22:35 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2020-06-23 06:43:22)

Hey, everyone.

Since my last post, there has been several updates which added more skills and quests to the game. Most importantly, the most recent update has simplified spell casting, so that all you need to do is first tap the spell, then tap or swipe on the attack area. No more need to drag and drop, and now you can easily target a specific enemy without fear of accidentally hitting the wrong one. I will edit the first post to reflect this change. I have also added a bit more information about dungeon tiles because someone feared that the game was unplayable since the tiles don't read, so that has been clarified.

Enjoy!

2020-06-28 07:32:17

@1 thanks for finding games for android as I need to find some.

2020-07-14 10:57:49

Bumping this guy up to let people know that the latest version kinda broke dungeons for us, but the developer is aware of this and has managed to solve the issue, so it should be fixed with the next update.

2020-07-14 13:02:22

I wish somone would make a game similar to AFK arena. I really want to play that game. but i'ma try this out. thanks for this.

2020-07-14 13:07:38

anyone remember solara? is there a game like that for android anyone know? i really loved that game when i had my IPhone but they discontinued development. sad. really.

2020-07-14 15:56:20

I had a dream about playing solara 2 on android lol, but it was just a dream and solara 2 doesnt exist.