2020-05-22 22:10:19

Hi Lemm,
I thought about consumable item, who prevents enemies from battling to certain amount of steps, but your idea is good. That item will be really helpfull for testing and playing. I must tell this second time, please change the context menu key, this is little iritating to write polish characters.
One more question, When can we expect the final version 1.0?

ice, fire, water, thunder.

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 00:03:51 (edited by threeblacknoises 2020-05-23 00:04:19)

Hay Pates, unfortunately there isn't a release date for the final build of Sable just yet.
As Paul has said a bunch of times in the previous topic; and maybe even a few in this one, Sable is still in alpha stage, and they still need to make their first game in order to road-test Sable before they even think about releaseing it.
Sorry to be a bummer...
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 00:04:21

When it's ready. At this point I imagine they don't even know when the beta will be ready let alone the final version.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 00:09:06

At current rate of development and observing this thread from afar, I would estimate 2 to 3 years until something releasable, and then anyone who uses it who wants to not be flagged by antivirus is going to need to buy an EV code signing cert for $600 or so assuming that you can verify your identity sufficiently for it since if they want to commercialize they can't put the data files for the game next to the game and share a signed executable (because if they did, you can trivially buy one game and swap the content for another).  But maybe I will be surprised.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-05-23 03:15:10

Hay Paul, I was just coding more of the battle system when I thought of a small edition; or more like alteration; to multihit attacks.
When creating them, it'd be nice if the creater had the choice to add in optional sounds for the other hits of the move.
In my project I have a move called surfe that hits all enemies for 26 force damage.
Now, on the coding end, everything works swimmingly; if you'll pardon my bad pun, but the sound for the attack is quite long; about 4 seconds or 3 if it misses, but it'd work just a bit better if I had the ability to add in other sounds that would play on the second, third fourth targets of the move that were shorter; about one and a half seconds, so the move would finish out just a little quicker.
I think that's all the suggestions I can give for this alpha build.
Can't wait for the update tomorrow
so I can start coding maps and story!
One slightly odd question, if I can't finish my project in time to make a recording of me playing through it, would you like me to zip it up and send it to you so you can; at the vary least; see what I was able to do?
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 05:12:06

I was about to suggest that. Thanks threeblacknoises! It'll be nice we can add extra sound.

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 13:35:28

There are a couple things I'd like to see added at some point. First off is the ability to create cursed items, mainly armor and weapons. So you might have a ring that has really good defense against a lot of element types but has the drawback of turning the wearer undead. THat would render them weak to both fire and healing abilities, so you'd have to plan accordingly. Then you might have a weapon, say a Demon Axe, that has really good attack power but the player receives a percentage of the damage inflicted with every hit. Those are just a few examples of how a cursed item might work.

The other thing it would be cool to see is one you see in a lot of Final Fantasy games. Most people simply refer to it as the "Monster in a Box." It's a treasure chest that does indeed contain treasure, but in order to actually win the treasure you'll have to fight a monster or group of monsters. Sometimes these could be actual boss type monsters, though at other times it's just as likely to be an ordinary monster. Sometimes it's a you can already encounter in the same area as the treasure chest, while other times it could be a monster you might not encounter randomly until later in the game.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 14:14:26 (edited by threeblacknoises 2020-05-23 14:17:56)

I just tried the monster in a box idea by assigning a trigger object to a chest, and while it does trigger the fight, it does so before the chest can be accessed, and afterwords, the chest can no longer be interacted with.
Yeah it almost works.
Paul, could you possibly
put this on your list?
It could be as simple as adding a prompt to add monsters to the chest aside any items the creater would want to add.
So in the chest creation screen, after asking for tile sounds and whatnot, before the item screen, Sable would ask if you wanted to add enemies to the chest.
If yes, you'd go through the same promts as if you were adding a battle to a trigger event.
One all that's done, the existing add items screen would appear.
When the player interacts with the chest ingame, it'd play the open sound, they'd get the battle, and; provided they win, the items would be awarded, either as drops at the end of the battle, or after the battle ends on the field like regular chests.
Maybe that last part could be up to the creater?
Well, that's how I'd do it anyway, but I'm not Paul Lemm…
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 15:22:06

I would think you'd see what was in the chest but again, before you could actually wint he item you'd have the fight. Mimic chests would also be cool.

Thumbs up

2020-05-23 19:03:33

Even though this beta is coming to an end, I am absolutely loving what this engine has allowed me to do, even at this stage. I'm eagerly looking forward to the release.

My website: http://www.blindjournalist.wordpress.com/

Journalist and gamer

2020-05-23 19:09:05

Same here Number 410. I have a lot of fun creating Maps, story and quests.

Thumbs up

2020-05-24 02:07:28

Oh yeah, you can really see the potential.

Thumbs up

2020-05-24 04:39:03

Internet sluggish do to covid-19.
Sable says it's expired, so no project or demo or anything.
If only Sable ran offline...
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-24 06:20:37

Still working here just fine.

Thumbs up

2020-05-24 11:26:35

Hi everyone,

Sorry I wasn’t on here yesterday, I had both yesterday and the day before totally free and didn’t have my boy at mine, so thought I’d just spend both days working through the bugs which have come in. to avoid distraction I avoided coming onto the forum and just cracked on with bug fixing all day (with lots of cups of tea, obviously hahaha). I’ve got an update ready to go out, I’m just waiting for my web guy to upload  it. he’s creating a new page which will contain just the update file required to change Sable to version 1.9. as soon as he has that up and ready I’ll post the link here  so you can all get the update. Until I have the link to the update, I’ll answer the questions which have come in:

@Bryan P, regarding recording software, you shouldn’t even really need a mic to record your project, you could simply record a play through without yourself in the recording, that way all you need to do is record Sable playing. I personally use OBS studio  for recording all the YouTube videos I create. Its simple to use and free to and will record what is happening on your PC (so your Sable playthrough), if you have a mic connected it will record you too, but if not it just records the PC sound/sable. the only draw back with OBS is it records a video rather than an audio clip, but then you can just use an audio extractor to remove just the audio section from the video.
@pates, can I ask in Poland which key do you use as the context key?  Regarding Sables release, as threeblacknoises mentioned we don’t have a release date yet, we first want to release our own game title Crimson Eclipse, which will let us road test Sable and fine tune  and make adjustments to Sable.
@Threeblacknoises, that’s actually a really good idea. I’ve spent a bunch of time playing around with timing for attacks which affect multiple targets (I swear multiple targeted attacks are the Bain of my life hahaha), I’ve tried playing around with different ways of making the sound of each attack flow more seamlessly together, but at the same time not wanting abilities which take ages to play out, since I find that really annoying when you’ve been playing a game for ages and then have to sit and watch some really long ability play out each time you want to use it. this is a lot easier if you are hard coding a game rather than an engine, as you can alter the timing for each ability based on its specific sound, but since this is an engine I’m trying to accommodate for each possible way a creator might use each ability, which causes a lot more of a headache, but I’m used to those now hahaha.  I’ve got a couple of ideas I’d like to try out hear to add further polish to timing for multiple affects, I’ll add your suggestion into the mix too, I can’t promise it will definitely make it in, but I’ll have a play around with the idea and see how it works. Another idea I was trying out in Sable just before the public release was allowing the creator to specify whether the sound just plays once for multiple targets or once for each target, this might also help with what you are planning for abilities.
@Bryan P, great ideas, some could already be done using  status affects assigned to armour. You could for example assign a status affect to armour  or a ring as in your example which would increase defence but reduce resilience to other affects. There is a  status affect which can reverse the  affects of healing too, although at present I think this can only be assigned as  an  on hit affect, rather than an on equip, but I wanted to extend functionality of on hit  status affects so they could also be used as on  equip affects too. with this in place you could  create a status affect which reversed the affects of healing, increased defence and reduced resilience to certain attacks, you would just name it undead or something like that, then when the wearer put it on they would show as having an active status effect of undead. There is a drain status affect, which can be assigned to a weapon, this causes damage to the target, but returns a portion of that lost hp to the character, I haven’t tried it, but you could attempt creating the drain ability, but rather than  assign a positive value for what percentage of hp is restored to the character using drain, put in a negative value instead, again like I said I haven’t tried it, but I think it might cause damage to the character rather than restoring hp. if you give it a go, let me know how it works out. Regarding your battle in a box, check out my answer to threeblacknoises below:
@threeblacknoises, thanks for trying out the battle assigned to a container, its odd that it doesn’t work though, since I’ve  used this in previous test maps I’ve created and its let me access the content of the container afterwards. I’ll take a look into this and I’ll add this to my list of bugs and get this one fixed, as it is a good game mechanic having the ability to assign battles to objects like containers.
@Thork, dragons and Bryan P, really pleased to hear you are all enjoying Sable. it really has been great to see so many people enjoying and having fun with Sable.
@threeblacknoises, is it up and running again for you? sorry about the internet access thing, its just a feature of the Alpha build. Drop me an email at [email protected] if you continue to have issues.
Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

Thumbs up

2020-05-24 13:14:33

Hi Everyone,

following on from my previous post, For anyone wanting to download the latest version of Sable  (version 1.9)I have put a link to the Sable update page below. You’ll need to unzip the folder once downloaded, Included within the download is the application file for Sable and a change log TXT file. the change log  contains details on how to perform the update. A full list of all the bugs and amendments in this latest version are below (but can also be found in the change log). A new page has been set up specifically just for the update file to Sable, the link is at the bottom of the page, the total file size is less than 1mb, so should download almost instantly. if downloading with chrome, since the download file is a zip chrome will often pause the download and manually need you to start  the download. To do this, simply press shift and F6 once you click the download link, this takes you to chromes download bar, Sable should be highlighted with a message about zip files, simply press enter which brings up the options menu for the download and select keep, chrome will then continue  the download.

- Fixes below for Sable  Alpha version 1.9: - Updated 23rd May 2020
-fixed bug which prevented certain sound bites being deleted from a map
-fixed an item bug where if you tried to change an existing item from targeting an opponent to targeting allies  instead, it would continue to target opponents.
-amended the item section of the inventory slightly, before it would only show the items which targeted enemies   whilst viewing items in a battle, obviously this isn’t very handy outside of battle if you just want an idea of what items you have which can be used in battle. The change now shows all items in the item section of the inventory regardless of whether they target enemies or the party members. If you try to select an item which targets enemies  whilst not in a battle  Sable will pop up a warning message and prevent you using that item.
-fixed an item bug where if a on hit status affect had been assigned to an item which targeted party members the status affect would not fire when used.
-fixed a bug where when first loading a map and you were inside a building you could hear sounds outside the building, or if you loaded the map and were near a building you could hear sounds from within the building
-fixed a bug where placing a wall tile inside a building treated the new tile as an outdoor tile, which meant  whilst standing on it you couldn’t hear any indoor panning sounds, but could hear outdoor panning sounds
-fixed bug where you couldn't label  terrain or collision tiles if placing them inside a building
-fixed a bug where when you select a new terrain or collision tile, when you place the very first tile although it does place one of the new tiles the sound it makes when you place the tile is still the sound of the previous tile
-fixed a bug with deleting fast travel points which could lead to you not being able to name new fast travel points the same as old deleted fast travel points
-added a battle music volume control which can be found in the sounds and voice option from either the main game title screen or from within the escape menu whilst in a  project/game.
-fixed a bug where if an npc sets a quest, but you then have an event trigger move you to a different location after the NPC sets the quest, when you return to that NPC they will try and set you the quest again.
-fixed a bug where if two items were given as a reward item event trigger , if one of the two items was a nonphysical key, sable would start the speech line with the word ‘and’, as if it were one of two items being given, but since nonphysical items are not mentioned to the player it should not have been saying the word ‘And’.
-fixed the bug which could cause an error message when loading a game in play game mode,  which  said something like Call stack size: 4, Function: void play_indoor_music(bool = false) and meant you had to set the player starting map again, this is now all fixed and we shouldn't get this issue any longer.
-fixed a bug where in play game mode the player always started with zero gold, even if you had set them to start with a specific amount of gold.
-fixed a bug with the remove affect and drain status affects, these should both just be instant use status affects  with no duration, however, when using these they were lasting for one round. for example: this meant if you created something like cure poison, cast it on a character, cure poison would show as an active status affect  and you would also receive a 'cure poison has faded' message after a round of combat or the battle ended. this is now fixed
-fixed a bug with sized transitions where if you used the object editor tool to amend an existing sized transition, if you amended the name or description it only amended the name or description for the specific tile of the sized transition you were standing on, rather than the whole sized transition. this is now fixed
-added a new option to the trigger object and sized transition object editor tool, now here if you have used a reference instead of a name you can now edit the reference  for the sized transition and trigger object
-added a new option to the door, sized transition and container object editor, if the object is locked there is now an option to amend the locked text
-fixed a bug where if trying to  force a battle in debug mode using just B, if you have more than one enemy set up but all enemies are set to boss battles sable would not start a battle and would freeze whilst trying to find a battle to start. it now warns that no standard encounters have been set up  but you can still force a battle with shift and B to select a specific enemy
-altered code in reward item event trigger, before if you chose to not reward an item, it still brought up the prompt asking if you would like to add another item, it now only asks this if you had already added an item
-added a text label to the repeat Last TTS spoken line of NPC speech button. This now makes it clearer what this does if anyone presses the Z key, hopefully this should save further confusion
-fixed a bug in the equipment menu where if viewing what equipment was available for a certain equipment slot on a character, pressing escape  would  completely exit you from the equipment menu, rather than just take you back to the window where you can select the characters equipment slot
-added code to trigger objects which are set as a single use trigger,  now if they are a single use trigger the radar sound will stop playing once the trigger has fired, since the object no longer serves any purpose once it has fired.
added a new  option to quest completion keys. now once you create a quest and have a completion key, if you go to the edit menu (alt and E) and select key and quest items, in here if you select your quest completion key, once you have selected it you can view various information about the key such as its description , which object it is linked to etc, but the new option is at the bottom and is called 'mark quest complete once found'.  if you choose to turn this on, it means once the quest completion key is found the quest will be marked as complete and removed from your quest list  as soon as you find the   quest completion key. before all quests were only marked complete once you returned to the NPC with the item. this works for both physical keys and nonphysical keys, you can still return to the npc to get their task completion speech if you want , but since the quest is marked as complete  it is not necessary if you have this turned on. it is set to off by default for each quest completion key, so they
will all work as usual unless you turn this on. it is also individual to each key, so you can have some quest completion keys marked as complete once found, and others only marked as complete once you have returned with the item to the npc who set you the quest.

Sable Update page:
https://ebonskystudios.com/sable-update/

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios

Thumbs up

2020-05-24 13:16:20

Hay Paul, thanks for getting back.
It's up again, but the problem seems to be during the day when our net speed seems to absolutely tank at 100kbps download 20kbps or lower/nothing upload.
Windows update takes 20-40 minutes to find and download a small security intelligence update when it use to take seconds; if that gives you any idea of what I'm suddenly dealing with.
I'll drop you an e-mail if the problems keep bugging me...
I'm really glad I get to have some small inpact on Sable's development.
I do have one small bug to report, and if my internet didn't go bad, I wouldn't have found this bug, so that's something?
I use jaws for windows as my screen reader, and I noticed that after sable gave me that internet error yesterday, that several keys on my keyboard wern't getting passed to windows; notably the g key, as I couldn't access my games menu to reactivate Sable.
Maybe this is a jaws thing?
Closing jaws it and reopening it fixed the problem; thank God...
Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-24 16:08:38

Hi Lemm,
In Poland we use application key as context menu, this is key right to the right alt in keyboards.

ice, fire, water, thunder.

Thumbs up

2020-05-24 17:23:17

Hi I just got the update thanks for fixing that sound bug about where you place tiles the old one would still play as you are placing them.  I didn't think of that being a bug.

Thumbs up

2020-05-24 20:11:20

Hay Paul.
I was attempting to do something in Sable, and am either not doing it right, or have found a bug.
What I'm trying to do is create an ability that will keep the main character from getting confused or poisoned, but can't seem to get sable to create it properly.
I've tried creating a status effect that I can link to the ability, but can't seem to create a passive status effect to apply to a passive ability.
I've even tried creating a peace of equipment to do the job, but Sable won't let me create an on equip status effect that'd to it either.
Help?
I'll work on other stuff in the meantime...

Later!

Thumbs up

2020-05-24 22:18:53 (edited by matt1211 2020-05-24 22:19:59)

I'm honestly a bit disappointed this was written in bgt.
I was excited because I assumed it'd be in python, or another mainstream language that was still being supported, and had the capability for far more expansion. I'm still slowly learning python, and can already code games like this in bgt; although there are many reasons I left that language.
For what it does though, it isn't bad. A bit frustrating that you're stuck with the classes you're given, and can't add or remove any, but I'm sure that'll get fixed as the thing comes out of alpha. The ability to make a game hasn't ever been made this simple for us though, and for that I'm sure a lot of people are grateful! The only thing (other than the thing not being in bgt,) I'd think would be helpful is being able to add code, or modify it slightly. It would be nice to have the ability to build your world and the large majority of your game with the framework you've provided, then being able to write a piece of code to add in something that may not be part of that framework as of yet. To be honest I'm not exactly sure how/if this would be possible.
Edit: Just sayin, the post above mine illustrates my point perfectly. SO thanks for that!

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

Thumbs up

2020-05-25 04:03:56

This is just the test. The team just use BGT for test not for the final product. Paul mention that a lot of times in the video even on here so many times. Even Liam mention that in his video.

Thumbs up

2020-05-25 04:24:17

Oh, that's good to know! I'm honestly not one to watch that particular kind of youtube video, so glad to hear about it here!

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

Thumbs up

2020-05-25 06:09:22

I figure you didn't see the video that's why I mention it again. I hope my words didn't came out hurtful or mean. Sorry if I did matt1211.

Thumbs up

2020-05-25 10:47:37

Morning everyone,

sadly we are now into the last week of Sable, Hopefully everyone’s enjoyed their time using Sable, it’s been great to receive so much positive support  and see so much enthusiasm towards the project. I’m sure you all know, but Just as a friendly reminder to everyone Sable and all projects created in Sable will expire and cease to work after this Sunday (31st May 2020). So if you made something you are really proud of, it might be worth making a recording of your project, so you have something to look back on. Don’t forget too, if you have made a recording of your project, consider uploading it to the Sable competition topic, the winner will get a place on our private testing team, the private testers will have a couple of extra weeks access to Sable whilst I work through all the bugs reported over the past three weeks. So basically it means the person with the best  recording gets a couple of extra weeks with Sable. I’ll put the link to the competition below, post one in that topic has full details about the competition  such as closing dates for submissions etc, under that link I’ll answer the questions which have come in:

Sable competition  topic:
https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/3451 … challenge/

Answers to questions:
@threeblacknoises, again sorry about the internet issues, pleased its working now, but do just reach out by email if the problem persists. Thanks for letting me know about the bug with the G key, I’ll add that to my list of bugs to look into, it just may not be clearing the jaws key hook when it exits, but I’ll look into that.
@ pates, we actually use the applications key here in the UK for the context menu too, as far as I’m aware though BGT doesn’t support the use of the applications key, if anyone knows different to that and a way of using the applications key in BGT please let me know.  as for a work around for the moment though pates, is this for copying and pasting in edit boxes? If so you can use the conventional windows keys for ‘cut, copy and paste (so ctrl and either C, X or V)
@Greg Steel, oddly with that sound bug, despite me using Sable for over three years I’d never even noticed it until someone pointed it out to me hahaha
@threeblacknoises regarding your Status affects question, its not really a bug, more a remnant of the old ability system before I overhauled it a month or two back. before status affects were hard coded in as either on equip or on hit, which is restrictive as far as creativity goes. At present, when you create a status affect and it brings up a list of the different types each one lists its name plus whether it is an on hit or on equip status affect. My goal is to allow pretty much all on hit status affects to also be used as  on equip status affects, I added in the code for this, but just didn’t have time to fully test it before the alpha release, so to prevent people having issues with something I didn’t quite have enough time to test I left the new code out, so on hit affects  can only at present be used in on hit slots and on equip can only be used in on equip slots. Again though this is something I would like to change before the official release to give craters more power over their own creations, so its at present just a restriction of the Alpha build
@Matt, pleased to hear you have enjoyed what you have seen of Sable so far. Regarding class’s this is an area we would like to add more options and customisation for the end user, at present there are only four class’s which are all hard coded in, but this is just a restriction of Sable only being in the Alpha stage of development. Regarding BGT, As dragons mentioned this  current Sable build is a prototype. BGT was the easiest,  simplest and quickest way of producing a prototype like this so we could see how successful it was. The  current prototype will be the first version of Sable which will be released as a full official product, this will happen after our first title Crimson Eclipse.  If the sable prototype is successful enough we would like to create a generation 2  version of Sable in another language. But that is presently a long way off and again really all depends on the success  of this prototype, I want to avoid discussing future plans, since they are so far off at present and keep the focus on the current prototype build of Sable. Sure BGT has lots of limitations and issues, but I think Sable also demonstrates that if you use a tool well, despite its limitations you can still produce   a well written and solid program, but by the same token I also do recognise its limits. I really want however to avoid this topic turning into a BGT discussion, so hopefully we can keep on topic and keep the conversations here all about sable, and all that can currently be done using our present set of tools, rather than making this about BGT

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios

Thumbs up