2020-05-21 08:32:02

Hi.

@arnold18, sounds good.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-05-21 13:28:34

I'm glad this thing might get some VI improvements. I have trouble manageing it now when we are anywhere in a very tactical situation. I played the game when I could see and even then only got down to like L5 and never collected a rune but I have a lot of trouble reading the map and navigating once you get into tough combat with multiple foes where you can't just stab them and slug it out with them.

2020-05-21 17:26:05

Audio recording is here, though do note that as I say at the end, i'm kind of unsure on what to mention and what's too obvious, i'm  playing dcss too long. smile Sorry for the volume problems, for some reason the game is sooo soft compared to my howling. If you have question, feel free to ask. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AFUXW … my_f-Hi_T5

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2020-05-21 23:37:56

So this is the first time I've had a serious go, and I know arnold you've been playing for a while, but I honestly can't imagine playing without those coordinates.  They help emensely, especially for casters and for being able to map out your current location.  Though sometimes I wonder why I'm not moving then realise I can't pass through walls.  I got  to around lvl 8 which isn't amazing, but it's my first real go so I'm happy with that.  I also love the go to and find commands; makes finding items you either miss or branch entrances a lot easier and generally gives the information you need in a concise manner.  I particularly like that because of all these, we can focus on actually playing the game rather than having to slowly read symbol after symbol and map out huge areas.  I wish more roguelikes can get this stuff implimented, would make them much more playable and the information needed for equal access that much easier to come by.  I hope that makes sense.

2020-05-22 00:17:42

It does. If you need help with anything, particular builds for example drop a post and i'll try to help.

2020-05-22 02:17:38

Hi.

I saw your walkthrough, which version do I download? I see multiple versions listed on the website. This is great! I've been meaning to play this game for a while now.

Thanks.

fantasy world creationist

2020-05-22 02:24:13

Hi.

I think a small getting started written tutorial with key guide would be nice, i didn't really get what was going on in that audio clip.

2020-05-22 03:22:32

Darkblade, you download the console one. Brad, the written article on crawl is in the works. Till it is released, i recommend you skim through the manual.

2020-05-22 05:43:20

Hi.

I think I'll wait for the article.

2020-05-22 08:06:48

The text setup guide is being worked on by me and may need finishing touch from Arnold who's more experienced. It doesn't cover how to play though as that's the work of crawl wiki that already exists. It only covers what we need to know as blinds to be able to play. Stay tuned.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2020-05-22 10:57:48

Hi.

I've tried but I can't seem to get past the starting screen.
When I try to click on an option using the NVDA review curser it doesn't do anything.
I've been using the mouse commands like NVDA shift m and NVDA shift left bracket but nothing seems to work. What am I doing wrong. Oneone else seems to be having trouble.Any help would be welcomed.

Thanks.

2020-05-22 11:40:56

Use nvda+numpad 7-9 with numlock turned off. You need to read everything using that. For the starting screen, count the menu. If main game is your first option, count as one. Play with specific seed is the second etc. And just type your name at the starting screen before you enter the menu.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2020-05-22 19:13:29

Hi.

do you know what that command is in laptop keyboard layout? I press NVDA plus 7 and it says "focus moves navigator object off" but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks and sorry for me being dumb. I'm probably missing something really obvious.

2020-05-22 22:03:57

I think he means numlock off.  you need the review cursor to read information, and navigate the main menu with arrows.  so enter for main game, down one for tutorial, etc.  It'll be slow at the beginning, but once you get more used to things, you'll be able to create a character in seconds. I highly recommend the manual as well as Crawl wiki. 
As an aside, a guide to getting started as a blind player would be great, as this game finally looks to be in a state where adding it to the db would be doable.  Learning how to play the game though, is a whole nother matter entirely.  completely dependent on practice, skill and learning, especially all the info we now have access to. 
I'm hooked on this game now. smile

2020-05-22 23:35:56

The guide is being worked on, as we previously said. It's almost done guys. Stay tuned. I was just being a lazy ass and didn't get to complete my part until tonight (it's night for me now, or early morning if you call 4:30 that).

2020-05-22 23:53:01

Hi.

There's just one slight problem.
I don't think my laptop has numlock on or off. also how do you read the information that comes with the race or class?
also is the new command available in the latest version on the website?
I have version 0.24.0
Thanks and I look forward to the guide.

2020-05-23 00:29:08

Hi,
@Mata take all the time you need.  While I'm fairly new to the game, if there is anything I can help with, let me know.
So there's a link a few posts in with a sound pack in it.  click that.  Then, when a new version comes out, simply replaces the SE folder and the Init files. 
I've also just found out that all descriptions of items, potions, monsters, etc are all available ingame through the help menu.  Funnily enough the game doesn't say you can move with arrow keys, but you can, though autoexplore is used when not in a combat situation.  I'm now trying to figure out which training method to use.

2020-05-23 00:58:41

also in terms of resources, I highly recommend
ultraviolent4.com
it's full of guides and such.  there's also a hilarious crawl text playthrough on the let's play archive for those who are interested.  smile

2020-05-23 01:22:12

Okay, guide's up. smile
https://forum.audiogames.net/post/532435/#p532435

Sorry for the unclear structure, tried to do headings properly but i didn't use html before and all that i did just made the thing worse so i just left it as it is.
Ultraviolent4 is my favorite crawl player on youtube!
I watched lots of his videos and still following him, and learning new techniques from his playthroughs. If you are familiar with dcss, his videos are fairly  enjoyable.

2020-05-23 01:38:30

I just love the amount of crazy things that can happen.  For instance, I just died due to having no real choice other than to read unidentified scrolls, imolating the creatures around me and being finished off by an unexpectedly exploding bat.  Now if I had fire resist, that wouldn't be an issue, and I see how a scroll like that can be super useful in groups.

2020-05-23 03:15:47

New tip: Do not underestimate orc mines! 7 orc priests, 2 orc high priests can demolish a character in like 10 turns. Though i could use brothers in arms but still, ouch. I did orc mines 1, it felt rather okay to tab through it, then huge orc priest swarm, smitesmitesmite, low hitpoint warning, read scroll of teleportation, heal wounds, die because high priests smite damn hard. Sigh. sad Hubris is a downfall of many of my dcss chars.

2020-05-23 06:12:13

I'm curious, if this could be made equally playable on mac and Linux, especially with sound? It wouldn't be super important for most folks, but I do spend most of my time on Mac and would love another game I could enjoy.

2020-05-23 06:43:24

So I fired up the game, hit o to auto-explore. I'd get messages that enemies appeared, but tab didn't do anything. Does tabbing automatically fight, or do I have to tab and then hit some other key? I was a bit unclear on that. I'll read through the manual and do my own homework and all, I just wanted to do a quick run-through, i.e. die as soon as possible, just to get a quick feel for the game on the most basic level. I assume I'll love it, but I figure this way I can try to get a bit of a handle and get interested in it and want to dive into all the complicated stuff.

2020-05-23 06:52:38

it only fights when you're in the range that can hit it. otherwise it'll move you to where your enemy is.

2020-05-23 10:12:04

Hi.

I read the guide and think it could do with a bit of cleaning up but through reading shortcuts I'm getting this game slowly.

I wish sapi or something would speak instead of us having to use the NVDA commands though, it would make things tuns easier.

Questions: 1. What's money used for? I get quite a bit of it but can't find a place to use it.

2. When it says a door is here, how do I enter the door?

3. is auto explore the best way for blind people to play the game?

4. when I find a ringmale, do I ware it automaticly?

5. The game says I find a staircase going down but when I press greater, it says I can't go down, can you help?

6. what's flesh for? I get it but can't seam to use it?