2020-05-17 06:47:54

Majno,

That box is used to set the destination for mass drivers on your planet. The default setting, "none," means that the mass drivers will not send minerals anywhere once they are mined. The reason you see the name of a corperation there is that it has set up a mining outpost somewhere in the system. You usually would set the outpost's mas driver to send the output back to Earth, if you chose to pay the civilians for use of their minerals. If you set Earth's mass driver destination to the corperation, I presume the minerals mined on Earth would be fired towards whichever body that outpost occupies. This is probably not what you want.

Hope this helps. Mass drivers are very useful for moving minerals around in a system without any effort on your part.

2020-05-17 09:13:35

so i can't unzip the files to it's default aurora location it's unzipping into my downloads folder but it calls itself aurora1.51full something like that anyway. also is there a manual for this game that tells us how various things work?

2020-05-17 09:25:26

another issue i have is that i can't set the graphics res as high as it needs to go in order to play the game. so what do i do to get round this? the highest setting i can go is 1260x700 something like that anyway.

2020-05-17 11:37:20

Another question. I've read about rescue a ship without fuel in aurora preview to C. joining another fleet will cause to divide fuel and refuel a ship without fuel. Is it true for this version of aurora?
I have a cargo ship with no fuel.

Thanks!

2020-05-18 06:31:26

Darren,

There is no real manual. The wiki and tutorials and game forum are the closest substitute. If you unzip the game into any location you can just rename the folder or move it around or whatever, it's not anything special. Just start the process again and maybe use WinRar or something which may be easier to deal with than 7ZIp. I personally always preferred it anyway.

Majno, refueling is complicated if you don't have the logistics for it. I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, but there is a system called a refueling system which allows ships to transfer fuel to one another. You'll need some kind of tanker which you can design to carry a lot of fuel and fly it out to the stranded ship. Alternatively, for this once you can just use SM mode to refuel the ship, that might be easier if you don't want to deal with the extra hassle of designing tankers.

2020-05-18 06:33:26

Darren,

For your window size question, there is a mod available here which can help. I've Never used it personally but it has helped some other blind players I know.

You really will want to look into a larger monitor longer term if you can, just because you'll be dependent on the game mode continuing his work. Admittedly, he's likely to, but just something to be aware of.

2020-05-18 10:37:31

trouble is zac i'm using a laptop so i don't really have a monitor and tbh i don't really want one. it's not like i can see to use it. i wonder if the dev can make it so you don't have to use such high res? i mean if there are mods available then why not?

2020-05-18 12:03:36

You have to use the mod. the dev won't  support small screens.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2020-05-18 14:01:05

is that what you use? so do i just drop it into the game folder and run it's exe?

2020-05-18 19:41:28

Darren,

Yes, drop the mod into the game folder and run it. Make sure it's game version 1.95. YOu'll have a configuration screen which lets you pick a bunch of stuff, and you want to enable resizable windows.

2020-05-19 12:57:44

hi zac,

i'm reading your guide. what you are saying doesn't seem to correspond with what i'm seeing on the game. for example, if i press f2 to get nothing happening at all. any ideas on this?

2020-05-19 18:51:52

Darren,

The reason you aren't seeing what I mentioned in the second part of the guide, which was written some time ago, is that the version of the game you've downloaded isnew and does not currently have keyboard shortcuts. They will be added in the next version, which is going to be released some time in the next few weeks.

Part three of my guide was updated to the newest version, however.

2020-05-20 00:45:26

ok so i have read part 3 but there doesn't seem to be anymore as to explaining how the various systems of the game work.

2020-05-20 02:03:05 (edited by zkline 2020-05-20 05:36:33)

Darren,

At the moment there isn't anything more from my articles, as I'm trying to see if any alternative presentation might be better. THere's a lot on the official game forum, though, and people here or on Skype who can answer questions. One problem with the game is that it's hard to explain in isolation, and there are already tons of tutorials explaining the non-accessibility issues, like how to do ship design.

2020-05-20 08:52:32 (edited by LordLundin 2020-05-20 09:01:19)

@darren the wiki is a godsend:
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.ph … _of_Topics
People are very friendly over at Discord:
https://discord.gg/cN66uq
Note that the invite link only lasts 24 hours. Let me know if you need another.
As far as accessibility goes, me and Zkline may do a let's play but I've said that before. We can only hope.
Edit:
It must be said that this game isn't for everyone. I often joke and say that blind people are like pigs, consuming whatever is fed to us, however this is a game a lot of us piggies will not want to play. It is heavily mathematical. And you can get by without doing any calculations and only estimate, but doing so requires a mathematical mind.
Furthermore even if you can get passed the clunkyness of the information displays and the mathematics, even sighted people struggle.
On the contrary, it's a game which can truly be set to play the way you like it? You don't like combat? Fine you don't have to touch a single non-player race ever. You just want to design things? Turn on Spacemaster and insta research everything and then design to your hearts content. You want to take it slow and chill? I've played games where I don't leave Sol for a good 100 years.
Regardless, the game requires actual effert on the players part. It is not for everyone. If this is your  cup of tea, then drink to your heart's content and everyone will assist you in brewing the best you can. However no one is going to judge you for the decision not to drink.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2020-05-20 09:19:21

ok i joined it thanks london

2020-05-20 15:19:41

ok i'm getting seriously frustrated with this game. i can't seem to get anywhere. i can't make head nore tail of the windows or what each of the buttons do and the guides just don't seem to correspond with what i'm seeing.

2020-05-20 18:51:08 (edited by zkline 2020-05-20 19:05:20)

Darren,

I can't really help if I don’t know specific windows you're having trouble with. The game mechanics are largely the same between the older and new versions, but the UI is better in the latter.

If you're trying to do ship design, for instance, you need to look at the Class Design window, which has two tree views, one for components you can use and another for existing ship designs. There is also a third for components on the current ship but that is hidden behind a radio button by default.

Ship design is one of the few places you need to double click, the rest of the game screens are navigable with tab and arrows. Still, unless you have specific areas you're trying to solve, it's hard to help. The game does not hold anyone's hand. Ship design is a good first step, and possibly the most complex screen you'll have to deal with.

2020-05-20 19:08:55

to be honest zac i'm having issues with all of it i haven't been able to work out any of it yet. for example, i'm seeing the window that has colony summery, industrial projects, mining summery, research projects, wealth summery class design etc and so on. i'm well and truly lost here with what to do and how to even attempt to do it.

2020-05-20 19:35:46

Darren,

That is literally the main screen of the game. It is the place from which you access all other windows. It is also the system map, but we don't really need to use most of the map controls for navigation.

If you don't explore the other windows you won't begin to understand what's going on.

2020-05-20 19:39:39

yeah i get that. i mean for example, what are the first steps in this game and how do yu make them? what about building up an existing colony and or colonising new places and exploring systems? i got into the class designs windows for example and got totally lost in there.

2020-05-20 22:03:58

You should look at some playthroughs on youtube.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2020-05-20 22:09:43

are there any blind player playthroughs do you know? so at least i can hear what the player is doing?

2020-05-20 22:57:23

Darren,

No, there are currently no long-form playthroughs of Aurora by the blind. LordLondon and myself were thinking of doing one, possibly sharing the database back and forth over a few years to demonstrate how things work. That's still in the future, however.

A good set of first steps for the game is something like this...

1. Open the Officer’s window, by tabbing to "Commanders," and pressing enter. Despite the name it is used to deal with all sorts of officers, including civilian administrators/governors.
2. Check the "Automated assignments," checkbox, to let the game handle the problem of assigning ship commanders and such without you having to worry about it.
3. Tab through to find the tree view with a list of officer categories. Expand "Administrators," at the bottom, and find a governor who is at least admin rating 3, or whatever rating is required for Earth, from the population screen. Tab through the rest of the fields and find their list of bonuses, read them. It's the first list.
4. Repeat until you find a person you like, and finally tab to the third list, which is the list of potential assignments. Select "A3, Earth," or whatever world name you chose, and go back and hit "assign."
5. You'll find the second list now shows they were assigned as governor for Earth. If you open up Earth's colony summary and explore the screen a bit with screen review, you'll see their info listed.

This is a step-by-step process which will work the same no matter how many colonies you have.

Research, which is also important, works similarly. You have several lists of current projects, research fields, and scientists. You select a field you want, a project within that field, and a scientist, and the game defaults to assigning them the maximum number of research labs they can handle, or the max you have available, whichever is lower. You then hit "create," and suddenly you have a new project in your list.

Research of some kind and assigning a governor are both things that will need to be done at the beginning of every game, and will be easier once version 1.10 comes out with more support for keyboard shortcuts.

2020-05-20 23:04:03

ok so can you then tell me more about ship designing, how to start mining, building ships and exploring star systems for colonisation?