2020-05-09 20:08:50

Hey all,
First of all, appologies in advance if this is in the wrong room, I think though since it's code related it should be ok to ask it here.
I'm unsure how exactly installing lambda moo extensions is supposed to work. I assumed given the lack of any documentation I could find either in the lambda moo readme or on the internet that it must be really, really simple or something, so I tried just copying the extension files to no effect. About the best I could find on the internet were instructions on adding to moo yourself, but of course we're talking about pre made extensions here.
I'm very, very confused. Anyone know how I can do this?

2020-05-09 22:39:01

Hm... What extensions are you trying to install specifically?

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2020-05-09 22:52:58

Martian's MOO Extensions, you can find them at lisdude.com under moo resources / patches. Just make sure you download the local copy since it looks as if the original site went away / was replaced with something totally unrelated.

2020-05-09 23:04:14

I think that Moo doesn't have an extension system and that if you want to install extensions you're actually talking about compiling Moo from source yourself with patches, but I might be wrong on that.  Most if not all of the mud-related stuff requires compilation from source with patches if you want to extend it with something someone wrote at that level.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-05-09 23:31:04

Hmmm... The link to the Martian's MOO Extensions is still up, but looks unmaintained. The source codes there though, digging into a few of the files i'm seeing imports for [lambdamoo server] scripts. I think camlorns right, you may need to patch and recompile the engine yourself. So, essentially download Lambdamoos server code, apply and include the patch files, then compile.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2020-05-10 00:44:24

Ok soooo, anyone have any idea how I might go about doing this? I have basically 0 experience coding in C. I'm using gamma moo, btw, in case it makes any difference.

2020-05-10 01:54:55

There are so many different MOO variations it's not funny. Once upon a time there was just straight LambdaMOO and that was that. Then for a while it seemed like everyone was making his own modification. Many of the games running during the bad old space MOO clone wars (HumanityMOO, Cosmos, etc.) were run under GammaMOO. Now there's Toaststunt, probably the most up to date version. However, if you have an older database written by anything other than Toaststunt or possibly Stunt, I don't quite know how you'd go about converting it to run under Toaststunt.

2020-05-10 22:57:29

Hello!

1: Camlorn is correct, these are patches that have to be added (manually) into the server, and then you'll need to recompile to receive the available functionality.

2: I do not recommend using GammaMOO, as it's old, unsupported, and gross to work with. I would recommend that you check out ToastStunt (https://github.com/lisdude/toaststunt), as it's really the only maintained MOO server publicly available.

P.S.: If you're looking for a MOOCore that takes full advantage of ToastStunt's abilities and is still actively being updated, you may wish to consider checking out ToastCore (https://github.com/lisdude/toastcore).

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2020-05-15 14:00:09

Hi,
@djlex, yes I am aware of toaststunt. The database I'm trying to run, however, is quite old and there for does not support it. I might see about porting it later if I get bored enough to do so.
Regarding my issues with extensions, I think I've solved that particular issue, at least parcially. I managed to get martian's moo extensions installed and working, interestingly they seem to be included in 1.8.1 but not in 1.8.3. Now I need to install another thing, specifically chr, because apparently this thing uses it for something. The problem, this extension comes in the form of a .patch file, and I'm honestly not sure how those are supposed to be installed. I haven't been able to find anything in the gamma readme or online, and from looking at the extension's code, it doesn't have the usual register_blah function, so I can't just install it the usual way. I doubt that would work anyhow since this isn't a .c file.
Any ideas what I need to do here?

2020-05-16 16:57:36

Ah yes, using a Cosmos database often amounts to not being able to use other flavors of the MOO server.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.