2020-04-26 21:12:53

I'm less convinced on the necessity of Imogies personally, not because "we're a blind forum", or anything like that, just because I tend to think that either one should be able to explain one's point in text adequately anyway, or use imoticons instead (people have doubtless noticed my fondness for  smiling imoticon).

And because I've seen too many posts kicking around which are just heart wink heart heart rainbow heart roll eyes or the like.

But hay, if this is doable, there's no reason not to try it if the facility is there, albeit if it isn't I won't be wishing to paste too many sad faces big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-04-27 01:09:09

Gosh. OP, I'm sorry. I had a really bad headache that wasn't at all helped by the hot weather we had yesterday. I agree with Dark.
Unpopular opinion time:
I think that emojis aren't really needed for this commuity for 2 reasons.
1. Blind people will never have the same value of emojis, compared to sighted people. They were meant to see, not be described.
2. I don't think people on here are responsible wwith emojis. Imagine,
[rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing] [rolling on the floor laughing]
Wouldn't you find that annoying? I can see lots of posts like that coming in the future. We already have this in text format, imagine in a way, where everyone can more easily spam. Just because some of us know how to use them correctly, and not annoyingly, doesn't mean others do.
End Unpopular opinion.
After all of that being said, I do see the merit to it. For example, not everyone on the forum are blind or visually impaired. We have sighted devs, so it can be used by them. Or, alternatively, if big companies see us using emojis, it could change their perspective of us, in the sense that we're not all primitive blinktards.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-04-27 09:31:24

On the other hand, allowing emojis would allow us to recognize and ignore the people whose posts are 90% "heart heart rainbow face with heart shaped eyes face blowing a kiss heart heart face with heart shaped eyes face with heart shaped eyes woman with * skin tone shrugging". And I could add a jacolantern beside a ghost to my signature.
(But no seriously; do people have a way to type emojis that isn't more trouble than it's usually worth? I'm not going to go to all that trouble for anything for which an emoticon is already available. Even with the slows that is BSI, it takes like a second or less to type smile, but it'd take a minimum of 5-10s to switch keyboards, flick to the smile emoji, enter it, then switch back. Yes Have touch-typing enabled but there are so many emojis it is not practical the way it is for letters and punctuation.)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2020-04-27 13:05:22

I still want an imogie that can represent the phrase r o f l y s s t.
And if you don't know what that means, Commedian bill Baily will tell you here.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-04-27 13:57:34

ok, here we go.
1: Get with the times, people. Stop being afraid of using immages in communication just because your eyes don't work. I hardly ever use things like lol or rofl when talking to sighted people. Doing the face with tears of joy is so much easier now. It's certainly more accepted in sighted circles than going ahahahahahahahasdfhalskdfjlakshdflkajs, which is something a lot of blind people seem to do when they express laughter textually
2: Emoji spam isn't as much of an issue as you might think, at least not on IOS. If there are 3 or more of the same emoji after the other, Vo will say 3 slice of pizza, it won't go slice of pizza slice of pizza slice of pizza anymore. NVDA *still* doesn't do that, and I don't think it'd be too hard to add. It's a shame there isn't an emoji search on ios or the windows pannel yet, I've heard it existing in some places but not there and it would make things so much easier. Of course, one nice thing is that you can use apple's dictation to find emojis, if you write the word haha, it will let you choose the face with tears of joy without you having to go to the emoji keyboard.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-04-27 15:44:46

thumbs up post 30

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2020-04-27 15:57:16 (edited by queenslight 2020-04-27 15:58:25)

On Windows (as stated earlier) you can do a Windows-Period, to open the Emoji picker.

Update:

It won't let me do a cat face. Gur'r'r'r!

2020-04-27 16:44:49

@30: You can indeed search for emojis on Windows. Just start typing once you press windows+period.

To everyone concerned about the spam: come on, we have emoticons here and people don't spam those... In fact, the only thing that really gets spammed here is text.

I resisted emojis at first so I understand where the older crowd is coming from. Since most of the people I talk to are sighted though, emojis grew on me. It's easy to hate emojis if your social crowd is mostly blind, but as soon as you start interacting with the sighted world you'll soon come to realize how much things revolve around emojis nowadays. As @30 said: get with the times.

2020-04-27 16:49:41

Well, I prefer a tears with joy emote over someone just smashing his head against the keyboard any day.

But, this discussion again makes it clear that this forum is outdated and that an alternative should be looked into.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-04-27 17:28:09

Reddit.com/r/audiogames exists. That's with the times, right?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2020-04-27 19:46:08

Yeah it is, but if we would want to keep a forum going, a move to a different platform would be something that should be an option sooner or later, also looking at the webmasters barely replying here.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-04-27 20:50:42

Hey, 35, I was to tell you. My android google TTs says all the Japanese characters, and even slows down the speech rate so you can understand it. IBM TTS just mutes when I get to that line

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-05-04 07:11:53

meh to them on forums. sometimes they are useful, when you get, this video is so face with tears of joy face with tears of joy face with tears of joy face with tears of joy asdjfkjasdugewiur and the rest of the comment, it's annoying. However, not all bad, since my braillenote, for some reason, when into a habbit of saying, 63 face with tears of joy, 40 face with smiling eyes, yada yada. so that's neat.

2020-05-04 07:38:08

Who tf really cares about emojis that isn't a teenage girl? They don't bother me on fb but on here, this isn't a place where you quickly lay out your thoughts with a picture, you're supposed to actually speak decent enough on here. I don't care if it's added but I'm sure some people are gonna get annoying with it, they're not a necessity.

NevEd.NDO#4838
My community discord:
https://discord.gg/2duutDtGFa

2020-05-04 14:16:30

Hard to understand for some that this isn't a new feature, it's a standard. That's where the story ends. No  debate on whether it should not or should be done. The fact they aren't supported is more like a bug, seeing that you actually get a database error. I leave yet again to those who say it shouldn't happen to give me one place where they aren't supported.

2020-05-04 20:20:27

Lol @39 emojis aren;t a teenager thing. They love to spam them, but literally everyone uses them now.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-05-05 12:00:41

Agreed with connor142 here. everyone uses them now. blind or not.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-05-07 05:46:31

Hi all,
First I want to thank Munawar for starting this topic.
I was writing a post the other day, and when I submitted it I got a database error, so I thought it's just one of those errors where you refresh the page and it's gone. Well I tried reloading the page a few times and it didn't fix the error. I don't know how it came out to me but I thought maybe it's something with the post, I removed the emoji I put in the post and it actually worked.
I thought about starting a topic like this one but I totally forgot about it.
Personally, I can't live without emojis anymore, I just can't. They're a very big part of my texting habits where I feel like there is something wrong if I didn't express my emotions with emoji. That's because if I write a sentence, it can be interpreted in so many ways, putting an emoji after my sentence helps the person understand me better, much better than if I wrote my sentence without any expression.
Let alone the fact that emojis are kinda becoming a language in a way, where you combine more than one emoji and you'd get something that means something different, that's tuns of more expressions for you.
It's really sad that this forum doesn't support them, but it's an outdated software so that's expected I guess.