2020-04-05 21:38:54

Well, the public record of disciplinary action topic has been around for a year now. It is on its fourth page, and has 78 posts.
That is around 1.5 posts a week. For as small as the community is, it seems like quite a lot, and while I'm not surprised, I had hoped for better.

thanks,
Michael

2020-04-11 17:22:23

If you noticed, certain events cause increased moderation. For example, Sam's topic, and a feww other drama events after
Its rather quiet at the moment, so thank god for that. e're improving. And your math is off. Because sometimes the mods double post like in the case of Jonikster.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-04-11 17:23:09

I'm disappointed that the ban log is outdated. I PMed Erin about it a while now and they haven't fixed it

_____

2020-04-12 22:49:56

I didn't do math. I just looked at the post count and said that 76 posts over 52 weeks a year is a lot. The point still stands that for a community this small that is a lot.

thanks,
Michael

2020-04-13 01:30:43 (edited by defender 2020-04-13 01:32:07)

Warnings are generally handed out more freely here than they are on many forums, who only really care about serious hate speech, consistent cyber bullying, spam, and copyright breakage.  Half of that stuff they wouldn't even moderate if they didn't need to to cover their asses legally.
And with the average age range of the forum now?  I mean it's not good, but neither is it shocking, and as you said your self, you didn't do the math, so in my opinion, your conclusions don't mean allot.
Unless you've got some comparisons to other similar communities on hand, it's just a feeling you've got, which is fare enough but not really concerning to me personally.

Do you have any ideas on how we can improve things?

2020-04-15 02:43:42

First a bit off topic, another funny main post into signature transition for post 5. Now, as my point, I think all and all, it is good to have that log in addition to keeping mod accountability. It also keeps community accountability. In the end, we all kind of got what we needed out of that. As drums said, we can get an idea of how we've been doing not going off the deep  end. I've been checking that topic every day to see how things are going on the forum. Each day I don't see an update means the forum has been mostly civil for that day. Honestly, if we all took it day by day of not breaking the rules we'd be in good shape. That being said, that's not always possible. For example, I wonder how many of those posts are alt bustings, which means many of those would be dealing with the same person. Actually, someone should actually run the stats on the logs. Maybe we can pull together a glimpse of what we as a community need to work on. That might make it easier on both community and mod team to see  what's working and what isn't.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2020-04-18 01:44:52

So, I've done a quick sniff around. There's absolutely mod actions that haven't been put in the log as of writing this post. I'd like to see that addressed annd everything squared away.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2020-04-18 05:07:48

I only express my reproachal of the  disciplinary topic in the fact that they still list me and Mason as banned. As well as mstuff.

_____

2020-04-18 16:16:01

That too. So yeah I feel like Jade/Carter/etc need to go through and update the log....since I can definitely see somebody saying yeah but the topic in question is buried and it isn't in the log so you can't do shit type stuff when the admins hand out punishments. After all the whole idea of the log was to avoid stuff like this so yeah it needs updating really, really, ASAP.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2020-04-19 14:12:50

As I knew that that topic wasn't gunna be stayed up to date for long anyways, some stuff are inaccurate here.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2020-04-20 13:14:41

Last time I looked, my ban wasn't ever even announced.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2020-04-20 14:53:11

I've been following every single post in this topic, and I checked the top log yesterday and yep, I think it's out of date.

2020-04-23 04:29:59

Honestly, I've come to believe that the best way to follow through on this is to eliminate a current list of bans from the top post. As long as punishments are kept up to date within that thread - which they mostly are, but occasionally are not - that's enough info.
For instance, if I scroll down to page 5 and see that so-and-so got banned on May 1 for six months, I don't also need a reminder in post 1. In fact, speaking personally, I don't tend to read the first post in a thread, but rather intend to stay up to date by reading new posts as they arise.
So my take on it is to keep doing what we're doing and to simply get rid of the punishment list in post 1. Why have two separate measures that have to be tracked, in the same freaking thread?

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-04-24 14:05:39

@Jayde that's a very interesting point.
I mostly did this in case people preferred to read the top part as a sort of general summary as to what's going on at that exact moment, so as punishments were lifted the intent was to remove them.
If people would prefer that I just get rid of that log, I can definitely do that particularly as I did forget to update.

2020-05-19 03:13:16

yeah the first post is still not updated

2020-05-19 03:21:00

Yeah that's an issue.  I agree.

2020-05-21 14:37:53

Would you guys rather that I got rid of the first log then and just kept the topic to posts only? It might make it less confusing for everyone, but also that would mean there won't be any way to find out at a glance what's happening.

2020-05-21 20:47:36

I'd rather you update the thing like you should have months ago.
If it's actually impossible to do so now though, than yes I'd ax it.

2020-05-22 00:24:37

Frankly, the thread doesn't grow so fast that it's impossible to keep up with.

I'd say axe or update the first post so it doesn't contain a current list. It's not needed. If folks want to know, it takes less than five minutes to go through and look at who was warned/banned when.

2020-05-22 00:29:43

Thing is, now it does, but next year the thread might be a lot larger. I'm not sure what is so hard in updating two posts every time someone is warned or banned. It's just a habit that needs to be developed.

2020-05-22 00:42:06

The fact that two things are done instead of one, when all that's needed is one.
It's all in the same thread. It's still being updated pretty regularly (sometimes we forget, but that'd apply to either one). Basically, two different places to look is just redundant, and there is no good reason to establish this habit. It is makework.

2020-05-22 00:50:51

Yeah, but one of those places is much faster to check then the other, while the other is checked regularly by some but obviously not all. It's much easier to see a summary in the first post, while it also makes sense to post a new one when something happens since otherwise it's not like people will check regularly the first post for updates. Honestly it's not even taking up too much time to do in my opinion.

2020-05-22 01:21:33

Jayde, the first post is so both modern and user alike can keep track of moderation actions.

I know you probably like reading, so here's an example

The first post can be the reference, bibliography, etc. While the rest is the actual book.

The annoying thing is how long I reached out to you guys and it's been swept under the carpet

_____

2020-05-22 11:43:24

Another problem is that not even the topic on it's own is updated regularly.

i noticed that especially when Jayde gives out moderation decisions, these are sometimes not noted in the topic at all.

this is something that needs to be worked on.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-05-29 00:27:41

I agree, the first post needs to be axed. Also yeah, some things stated under the "moderation!" flag in a post is not always put into that topic, good thing its not being updated a hole lot as that would be bad. I think, with a forum with, let me see, how many registered users? 200358? ah, ok, so its small but some furms are much smaller. then, lets takes that amount of users, 200358, and then you have how many of those posts are made for individual people, not many sense a lot of them, not including the first post, are either finding and banning alts of other users, or multiple warnings/cautions or ban increasings for a user. So its not like the mods are going around finding random people out of 200358 and smacking them in the face with a hammer and saying oy, we're going ot put this here because we hate you. Things are done for reason, even if i don't agree with there reasioning, its a reason.