2020-02-21 17:17:40

Since I mentioned this in the BSG blog post topic. I wanted to expand on it here...

I feel like the dev room can be used for early alphas. But I think a better solution is to spin off an early access room.

What would that mean? Well, it's for things that are being worked on...but not ready for new releases.

Caveats: This'd need a slight mindsdet/rule tweak that new releases is for finished and released games only.

So for instance, the Cursed Painting topic would go into the Early Access room, prototypes and alphas would go in there as they are not finished. Once a project gets finished, it'd get a new topic by the dev in new releases. This way, way alpha releases in the dev room aren't lost amid millions of development questions.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2020-02-21 19:19:46

Actually, a very good idea.

2020-02-21 20:17:21

This is a great idea.

2020-02-21 21:44:25

I would really like this as well, but I do see two issues.
One. where does the announcement of a new upcoming game go when there is no playable demo yet? would it go in this room? or in general games.
two. Assuming that especially at first, many people will not understand the difference between new releases and early access, And even after that some will purposely ignore it, how will we gatekeep that room without putting even more pressure on the mods who already at times have trouble keeping Up with the restrictions topic.

2020-02-21 22:06:29

Early access as the word suggests means you have early access to something, so game announcements should not go there unless there is a playable demo in my opinion. As for the second issue, no difference, same as with already existing rooms. Occasionally topics need to be moved from one to the other.

2020-02-22 17:23:35

Why don't the tmods just promote other staff? That is to say, unrestricters, topic movers, topic closers, etc. If I can do it, they damn well can. They have Liam and Carter on their side.b

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-04-12 03:09:43

Bringing this topic up to the top again, pretty sure this is OK. I completely agree, I think an early access room should be a thing. Also, if the web masters make a return and add roles such as topic mover, I'd gladly take up the responsibility of moving topics to their rightful place. There are a lot of games that aren't quite ready for the New Releases Room yet, but at the same time they definitely don't belong in the Developers Room either.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2020-04-12 03:17:43

@Dan, our current admins and moderators can also do that stuff

_____

2020-04-12 03:23:03

Agreed with @1
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2020-04-12 04:53:39

Great idea!

2020-04-12 07:58:50 (edited by manamon_player 2020-04-12 08:00:01)

good idea but it will make this forum with more rooms witch is not good because it will be too bizi

2020-04-12 08:41:27

idea is grea int heory, but people aren't even using the dev room properly so I doubt an early access room will make much of a difference. I could be wrong however.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2020-04-12 13:46:40

Hi.

at 11 how will an extra room make the forum more busy? There is still the same amound of users registered and online, so I don't see your point.

I also agree with OP, thing is, can admins actually create rooms or do we need to in list the help of our very responsive web masters?

Also something needs to be done to move wrongly created topics into that room then, more staff positions like editors could help here so more people could be promoted into a position.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-04-12 14:13:09

when there's 3 or 4 rooms for gaming, I mean when we can put everything in too rooms and we put then in ten rooms, it gets bizy

2020-04-12 16:12:57

They should be able too. Richard, Senderman, Jayde, Carter and Erin are all admins, its just that R and S just have custom ranks. They also proposed to make the gift request room, so thats proof enough that they can do it. @Lia, I think if we have a dedicated room for Baytas alphas etc, there'll be less squabble, and the devs room can be for asking questions, advertising extensions, includes etc. I think what Manamon_Player meant to say was, the new posts link may become more cluttered because of the newww posts in that room, but that's an easy workaround. Just skip the heading

_____

2020-04-12 16:14:52

Hi,
We'd be able to move topics from the dev room to the early access room as well. I think this idea could take off.

2020-04-12 17:04:09

I like the idea of adding more staff for either specific tasks or just in general. But if you assign staff to certain positions, that would be more risky because not everyone would have the context to agree or disagree since only a few people have the context.

2020-04-12 23:06:06

Agree with @16. An early access room would be nice.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2020-04-13 01:02:26

this idea is nice.