2020-03-26 16:49:46

Sightless, thank you for the support

flame & toto, not at release.  Looks like various sources are anticipating 2021 for Xbox One and PC, possibly.

2020-03-30 21:37:49

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing good.  Part 2 is up! 

Recorded and deleted my audio on this multiple times, due to having been sick this past week and narration sounding rough. So part 3 will be up much sooner.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8SJBKv2TM

Podcast:
https://anchor.fm/gorillasplaythrough/e … ogs-ec5g2k

2020-03-31 15:18:08

Hi,

Nice work on getting part 2 done so quickly. I’m in the middle of coding at the moment, but I’m very excited part 2 is here already and will be checking it out later today. Just as a possible suggestion, one thing that I found helpful with one of my topics on the forum which has multiple videos added to the topic at different times is to include the most recent video part number in the title (so something like ‘Final Fantasy 7 Remake playthrough (part 2) , narrated ‘). So each time you add a new video you just update the part number in the topic subject line each time you  upload a new part to the video. That way it all stays in the same topic, but people glancing through the most recent topics see the topic , but at a glance can tell from the subject line  that there is a new video available to watch. Not saying this is something you should definitely do, it was just a suggestion. Anyway, huge thanks as ever for putting together this latest video, I really am super excited  about it and it  will take all my will power to continue coding and not just to stop to watch the video now smile

Paul Lemm

2020-03-31 19:20:29

Hi Lemm,

Thanks for the heads up, because I was wondering if editing the topic title was possible prior to the posting.

2020-03-31 21:48:11

Hi northeastgorilla! I have just given you a sub. Really love your videos. I have watched all two parts and am really looking forward to the following parts of the series. I have never played ffvii before, but i have heard a lot about  the game Before. I like your style of narration. Keep up the Amazing work. What was the reson for you to make these narrations? I am just curious. Have you done other narrations like this Before?

2020-04-01 00:03:27

Hi,

Just watched this and really enjoyed the video , as ever fantastic job on the audio description. Thought you did really well in the battles too, they were well explained and I think reading the tutorial messages  works really well and gives a really  nice understanding of what’s going on in the battles.  I’ve been really impressed with the game itself too, I love the old FF music in the background , very minimalistic , but with a nice dark sinister edge to it too. pleased the subject line suggestion  was helpful. You mentioned in your original post you’ve been sick, hope your feeling a little better now, hope it wasn’t corona  and you’re managing to stay safe in these crazy times. Thanks as ever for all the hard work you put into these videos.

Paul Lemm

2020-04-01 01:18:03

Just love it! Awesome job! I'd even say professional quality smile

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.

2020-04-01 11:18:21

Even if you can somehow navigate without seeing through the reactor, the Final Fantasy VII world is absolutely huuuuge. Once the world map opens up in episode 2, there will definitely be no way to make this plaiable.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2020-04-01 17:22:19 (edited by NortheasternGorilla 2020-04-01 19:40:45)

Thank you Garr. 

Final part is up!
https://youtube.com/watch?v=c_nz2bJDE-Q

Podcast version:
https://anchor.fm/gorillasplaythrough/e … ail-ec7q4a

Good recommendation Lemm, and hope all are doing well.

2020-04-02 00:33:13

I hope you will be doing the full game when it comes out, I'll certainly be watching!

2020-04-02 18:58:37

Hi,

Wow you got that latest video done quickly. Huge thanks for all three videos, it was great to get to see the final fantasy remake demo. I thought that describing the more battle intense parts of the game might be difficult, but I think you did a fantastic job describing  all the battles. I thought this last video was a really  nice finale to the demo with a good  amount of battles and a nice glimpse into the beginning of the story. Thought you did a good job actually fighting the battles too, thought you might lose Barret at a point there though smile . Again, just want to say a huge thanks for making the recordings and for all the hard work which goes into  making these videos. it was great to get a chance to see the Final Fantasy 7 remake demo in action and brilliantly audio described too, I really enjoyed it and would recommend  this and all your other videos to anyone who hasn’t watched them yet , the quality of the videos and audio description is fantastic.

Paul Lemm

2020-04-02 21:36:28

aaron, thanks a lot for the support

lemm, glad the battles ended up working out.  The good thing is since it's real-time combat now, it makes it a little more interesting to describe.  Barett did get really close to zero!  Cloud too, I was hitting the HP potions hard during the Scorpion battle.
I have the feeling that the boss battles are going to have a lot of emphasis in the game.

2020-04-03 01:16:52

Hi Gorilla,

When I first  heard the rumour that the developers were completely reinventing the battle system for the remake, I have to confess I was a little worried they were going to brutalise a classic game. However, I have to say I’ve actually been really impressed with the updated battle system, I think the new real time battle system seems to work well. From an audio description point it definitely made them more interesting to watch and hopefully was more enjoyable  for you when you were playing  and making the videos. As for boss battles, I think you’re right, Final Fantasy 7 had some truly epic boss battles in there and I think with the new battle system the Developers are going to go all out on those battles, best hope you’ve got a lot of potions stored up by then smile

Paul Lemm

2020-04-03 08:53:59 (edited by targor 2020-04-03 08:55:29)

Wasn't FF VII the one where the last boss could use a special ability whose cutscene went on for over one minute?

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2020-04-03 10:58:24

Hi,

@Targor, I’d actually forgotten about some of those abilities/summons at the end of the game, but you’re right I think some of the cut scenes for those must have been over a minute in length. As a kid  playing these I used to particularly love the summons in game and the detailed cut scenes some of them had. Actually, it brings up an interesting point regarding the new remake. In the original final fantasy games, having ridiculously long cut scenes  for summons and abilities worked since the battles were all turn based, so it didn’t really seem odd doing nothing for about a minute whilst you watched the cut scene. Since the remake battles are all in real time now though, I think it would feel odd  all of a sudden nothing happening in the battle for a minute whilst we wait for one of the summons to appear or the cut scene of a lengthy ability to play out. Will be interesting to see how they work that into the battle system since summons  and abilities play such an integral part of final fantasy games.

Paul Lemm.

2020-04-04 10:04:15

Okay, I looked it up. Normal summons and abilities went on for about 15-30 seconds. Sephirots "Super Nova" attack goes on for almost two full minutes. And he uses it not just once in the battle.

2020-04-04 14:40:43

@ Targor, wow that’s crazy, I remember them being long but when you hear just how long it almost seems ridiculous. My memories a little fuzzy, since I played this over 20 years ago now, but I’m pretty sure supernova was also one of the most over the top cut scenes in the entirety of the final fantasy series. So if I remember correctly supernova called a huge meteor , and the cut scene followed the destructive path of the meteor   through space as it ripped through planets in its wake whilst it hurtled towards the planet your party was on and then finally smashed into your party. It’s funny as I actually write that it seems completely Ludacris, so maybe I’ve gotten it wrong, I’d love to hear from anyone in the topic who remembers the cut scene as to whether I’m right, or have just completely imagined it and am in fact just completely losing my memory/mind smile but I’m almost sure that’s what  happened or something very similar at least in the supernova cut scene. At the time I never really considered how completely over the top it was,  but instead just marvelled at the magnificence of an awesome cutscene , followed by franticly looking for potions and phoenix downs in my inventory smile

Paul lemm

2020-04-04 16:57:14

That description definitely matches with the sounds. But the craziest thing is: This is no instant death attack. Your whole party can survive the impact of a meteor. They must really be healthy. smile

2020-04-04 17:15:40

I felt and heard that Knights of the Round is the longest, tried looking for the time but couldn't find it.
Since it's not part of a boss fight, guess it doesn't count but comes in handy if going to fight Emerald Weapon.

Every day is a good day!

2020-04-04 20:19:02

Funny about the length of those cut scenes, and what used to be tolerable.  Don’t know about you guys but I don’t remember being bothered by it, at the time. 

Back on the Commodore 64, the load times from the diskettes were incredibly long.  But I remember it making the whole experience kind of more exciting in a way.  Wouldn’t want to deal with that today though.

The thing about Final Fantasy 7, and some people don’t like to say this about it, but beautiful is a good word to describe what the game was at the time.  Maybe even today still.

Back when it came out, I remember being in a Walmart or something, and talking to some guy who was working in the electronic department about it.  And that was one thing that stuck out for me toward the end of our conversation, he said “it’s just a beautiful game”

Was a good word to describe it.

2020-04-04 20:55:37

I red in the very early days of parser text adventures, when Zork was released for example, processing a text command needed time and if the time was especially long, you could be sure that your command changed the world in some meaningful way and you could feel the thrill of waiting for the computers response. Many people really liked that, and I can somehow understand why, but I haven't been born then, so it's just speculation on my part.

2020-04-05 00:39:27

hi,

@Targor, yeah it was totally over the top, I think it even ripped through and destroyed planets on its way through space, but yet some how the party could survive, obviously wearing some seriously good armour  that day smile
@Garr, knights of the round was a pretty epic cut scene, it was one of those you could almost go make a cup of tea whilst the cut scene played  out and still make it back with the cup of tea in hand before the thing had played out smile  I think the longest of all cut scenes though is ‘Eden’, although I’m not sure if that was from final fantasy 7 or one of the later games. As for the weapon battles, those were pretty epic, I remember the first time I bumped into one I got totally destroyed!
@gorilla, I know what you mean about the cut scenes, although they were long you never really thought about it whilst playing, I think part of the fascination of the final fantasy games was wanting to see the new cut scenes/summons in each game, since although they probably look dated now, back in the day they looked amazing and were something to marvel at, plus I think from memory you could skip the cut scenes if you wanted, so you didn’t have to watch them every time. For me, Final fantasy 7 was one of the first really detailed RPG’s I played. Although again it might seem slightly dated these days, but I just loved the story and how well they had worked the characters, so you felt a real connection with all the characters and each of their individual story’s.  I also loved the concept of such  a huge world which you were free to roam around, choosing to either follow the storyline or just head off finding tons of side quests and grinding out battles. I know this is common in most games these days, but back then  those types of games were few and far  between. in fact I might even go as far as to say it was probably one of the biggest games on console in its day, I think it was either 3 or four disks in size,, which was huge back then. . Actually, I think side quests and finding some of the hidden things like the ultimate  weapons etc were some of the things I enjoyed most about all the games in the series, almost as much as their actual storyline.

Paul Lemm

2020-04-05 09:44:17

Yes, FF VII has three disks with different cutscenes each. The whole game is on all three disks, they just needed the three disks for the cutscenes. In fact, if you use a metal contact to confuse the PS1 into thinking the cd compartment is still closed, change the the disk in mid-play and close the compartment again, you can still play the game as if nothing happened, but you'll see the wrong cutscenes. Nothing else changes.

2020-04-05 17:41:18

@Targor, that’s an awesome bug/glitch, as a developer I love hearing about things like this and I’d never heard about that one before. although it now just makes me wish I had a PS1 and FF7      so I could go play around  with that and have cut scenes play which make absolutely no sense to the actual point of the game I’m in smile

Paul Lemm

2020-04-05 18:34:35

Oh wow, that's cool, never knew that!
It does make sense. Wonder if the same is true for all others too like Star Ocean second story.

Every day is a good day!