2020-03-31 23:55:32

Hello guys. I'm currently drafting up a document for student aids, teachers and anyone in general about dealing with visually impaired students from a visually impaired person's pespective. In acouple of hours or days, I'll uploade it here to get feedback from all of you about what you think, and even put in your own additions, omissions and put in comments for people to read. Back to grass tax.
I wanted to know wwhether or not there's a difference between Screen Readers and TTS. There used interchangeably, but I wanted to confirm from blind people if its the same or not. You're help will be greatly appriciated!

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-04-01 00:14:52

They're very much different.  TTS is just the part that does the speaking.  Screen readers do a lot more besides that.  If you've got enough vision that you're not using one, read the NVDA manual and you'll see what I mean.  TTS is text to speech, i.e. input string of text, get speech out.  Nothing more. Doesn't even encompass braille displays, let alone browsing the internet.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-04-01 00:16:11

That's what I thought. Thanks very much.

_____

2020-04-01 00:17:44

And nope. I'm visually impaired as well.

_____

2020-04-01 01:08:32

Screen readers and TTS are definitely not interchangeable.lol

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-04-01 01:59:57

Compare a program like Text Aloud to NVDA. Text Aloud can only make speech files and speek what you write in the document. NVDA let's you use the computer, jump to links, use all programs not just 1 and so much more.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-04-01 07:53:22

tts is part of screan reader

2020-04-01 12:29:35

Wait... Do people really get this mixed up? LOL, though I guess they gotta start somewhere.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2020-04-01 14:02:13

In fairness the two terms are used rather interchangeably, and often confusingly often by people who by rights should know better.

For example, Win frotz tts was a preconfigured version of win frotz which had sapi output enabled automatically, it was also the one Howard sherman packaged with several of his stand alone interactive fiction titles supposedly aimed at blind people.

However, regular winfrotz had a "speech" function which pretty much did the same thing, aside from the fact that any and all screen readers could read the screen of winfrotz with a virtual curser, and some like NVDA could directly speak output anyway.

So essentially someone constructed a supposedly "accessible" tts version of a program that was accessible enough in it's default state anyway, and even had an in built speech function, yet it was assumed that blind people would need the tts.

On the other hand, when Jim Kitchen bought out a new version of mac 1 which ran directly through his main winkit program rather than being stand alone, it was quite logical for him to describe it as "mac 1 tts", given that original mac 1 had used pre-recorded speech, whilst all the games which ran with Winkit by default used microsoft Sapi for output.

Just to be even confusinger, I've recently also seen developers using the term "voice over" for programs on windows, when they actually mean either tts or self voicing.

Btw, hmmm, wonder if we should construct an article in the articles room which defines these things?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-04-01 14:42:24

TTS could be described as an engine which has a certain power, and there are different equipment that could transform this power into a function. If an engine of a car is turned on out of a car, it just rotates some tools which would be used to move the wheels. And so when that engine is placed inside a car, it  meets a purpose, and all that power it has is used for a function. In a similar fashion, the TTS is used by the screen reader to convert text into speech. A screen reader without a TTS engine would be just like a car without an engine.

2020-04-01 15:10:12 (edited by Chris 2020-04-01 15:13:54)

The screen reader interprets information in the operating system and presents it in such a way that it is usable for someone who is blind or has low vision. The text-to-speech engine interfaces with the screen reader, but only to vocalize the information provided by the screen reader. They are two very different things, but they work together. If you did not have a text-to-speech engine with your screen reader, you would need to use a Braille display for output.

It also irritates and baffles me that people constantly mix up Siri with screen readers or VoiceOver more specifically. This is obviously due to ignorance, but Siri and VoiceOver are very different things. Siri is speech to text, where as VoiceOver converts text to speech. Siri is not a screen reader that can assist one in navigating and using the operating system. Finally, VoiceOver should not be confused with anything else. VoiceOver is Apple's screen reader that only runs on Apple hardware.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-04-01 15:20:31

@11, slightly off-topic but people confusing the artificial intelligence voice assistants also irks me to no end. AmazonAlexa vs Echo, Google Home vs Assistant, and people confusing Alexa and Assistant. Why doesn't this happen with Siri and HomePod? To be fair, I'm not sure if that last one really happens but I'm sure you get my point.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.