2020-03-23 23:59:03

Meanwhile, you've got teens in the produce sections of grocery stores who have tested positive for Corona who are trying to spread the thing by coughing.  I'm not even sure what to say to that...

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-03-24 01:01:13

Crashmaster, seriously bro, you are not helping here.

to be perfectly, brutally honest here, you sound a bit like one of those conspiracy theory nuts. You're going from "I don't know about this whole shutdown thing" to "war is coming, zombies are coming". Uh...what, exactly, are you on about?

At this point, we can strongly suspect the following.

The human race will survive this. Some will die, most will survive.
The economy will eventually recover. We can't be sure to what extent and in which way.
Social distancing does work. As to how well it works, only time will tell.
The environment is definitely benefiting right now from lessened productivity.

Spreading fear, misinformation or conspiracy theories does absolutely no good, for anyone, anytime, ever. Please cut it out.

If this virus, or another one, shows up again, and we proved that social distancing did a good job the first time, then we go back into lockdown again. And if you want to be one of those who decides not to participate, then you're kinda going to be part of the problem, and I suspect most people will lose a great deal of sympathy for your kind. Because yes, lockdown and self-isolation and whatnot is annoying. It's problematic. It's upsetting. No arguments here. But it's your own feelings vs. the safety of the world, and me, I know which one wins out in a moral quandary, every time, no exceptions. After all, you are not the only one stuck at home, Crashmaster. Where do you think I am right now? Do you think I'm happy about it? Do you think I'm going to say "fuck it, I'm done" if this goes on long enough? I'd rather not take the chance that I'm carrying or could act as a carrier in the future, and I'd rather not kill anyone, thank you very much.

As I've said before, maybe we aren't perfect about this social isolation thing. That's one thing. But there's always time to improve there.

Seriously though. All this talk about inability to travel, no holidays, zombies, bombs, being shelled? I'm pretty flabbergasted by all of this. Like, have you actually stopped and thought about what you're saying, or am I reading a half-asleep sort of stream-of-consciousness burst that has little basis in reality?

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-03-24 01:10:19

Hmmm, what interests me is how its broadcast now.
There was a hint that vaxine research was ongoing, but that that would be in our recovery phase.
You can interpret that in several ways but to my thinking it sounds to me that while in lock down we are all waiting till cases drop.
we have 2 possible community transmition cases which are unconfirmed.
Our cases are 102 but 2 of these are the issue here.
Maybe they are right, maybe not.
Predictions are that it will get worse but we will know in 2-3 weeks if we were right or not so they say.
As for the planet moritz, in principal I agree with you.
In practicality, when we come out of this, whenever that is, hopefully in a month's time, and for some much later we will need jobs and echonomy fast.
That will mean a big investment in fuel, that means oil and petrol.
No one will be concerned about the planet, we will want to get back to normal life as quick as we can.
Some like my dad and a few friends say we will have a new normal.
I doubt it very much that in fact we will have a new normal.
With most of the markets gone its going to be a struggle.
Then an interesting thing popped up at breakfast today, with the reduction of maintanance and other services we could have a power failier, except power is the factor that handles every other service which is essential.
Our lock down includes essential services.
If one of those stops, technically the lockdown is stopped as well unless it comes back quickly.
I don't think our government has thought about this.
To my mind, the lockdown can only work if its terms are met.
Those terms include the lowering and zeroing of our current caseload.
It also includes and garantees essential services will be stable to some degree.
If either of these terms are null and void, then the lockdown stops no matter what.
For me there are 2 scenarios.
1.  it goes as expected, cases drop to a number we can handle, everything goes back to a mostly functional lifestyle though we will have to keep clean and  safe obviously, we should do that anyway as it is.
2 and most likely, we lose a service like power or something for an extended period of time like more than a couple minutes.
Power, water and coms are essential.
We lose power, no cell towers, tv, radio, the net, water and suddenly you have a problem.
Some services have generators but not every household has one of those.
I don't think anyone has even thought about that eventuality.
Lets hope their either think about that and have or well who knows.
I just hope it works as expected.
People are expected to stay at home and wait it out while someone else does what is needed.
That assumes of course nothing else goes wrong.

2020-03-24 01:42:17

Well, many states have begun implementing stay at home orders. And, trump, the moron that he is, is now talking about scaling back the social distancing measures and federal guidelines, even though he acknowledges that none of his medical advisors agree with him on that.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-03-24 02:13:03 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2020-03-24 02:15:16)

Again, haven't heard anything about power going down or its possibility of that either. At least here, lockdowns grant permission for essential services to be operational, and last I checked, water and electricity were essential services, and so is communications. I've said all of the above before and at this point I'm just repeating myself, so please dont panic so hard. Heck some mobile carriers are even considering lifting data caps to help with the cost of working online from home. Really, we have the resources to be ok. Were it 200 years ago @crashmaster I might, just might share your pessimism, but science and technology has come a long way since then. We do not depend on landlines for phone service anymore, we have cellular towers and satellites for that, and unless a klingon invasion happens tomorrow for which I dont think we have adequate defences then we will likely be ok.

2020-03-24 02:49:50 (edited by turtlepower17 2020-03-24 02:59:05)

Comcast has lifted its data cap, from what I know. I was never personally a heavy downloader, at least not to the point where I came anywhere remotely close to using the terabyte of data Comcast allows per month, but I can appreciate the fact that they're doing this. Ditto the major cell phone providers, who are considering granting waivers for late payments.

@Jayde and others who have provided reassurance, I appreciate it. There are a number of factors at play which have me really, pee my pants scared. Not literally, but you know what I mean. I can't really go into them on a public forum, since I don't think the people involved would like that one bit if they found out, but some new information has come to light which really has put an even bigger weight on my shoulders.

As for making peace with past mistakes and hurts, I admit that's something I was never good at. I don't see how adding a ticking clock to the mix will help me come to terms with them any faster. What I do know is that, just as I was finding myself more comfortable in my own skin, putting things behind me, and so on, all of this BS happened. It doesn't exactly give me a strong foundation of hope. I've always considered myself to be unlucky, and this, to my mind, proves it.

But, no, I also don't believe nuclear warfare or a zombie apocalypse is coming. I actually took great pleasure in proving my family members wrong when they tried to tell me that there are no confirmed cases in Russia, which means that they and China are gearing up for an attack against the US. There are, of course, cases in Russia, just as there are in many nations. The thing that may end civilization as we know it isn't a full-scale, desolate the world event, but the possible closure of essential services. True, there hasn't been talk of that yet, but if the spread of the virus doesn't slow, or actually continues to rise, then entire infrastructures could collapse. And when that happens, that's when people will go nuts. At that point, there really would be no recovery. I certainly hope that won't happen, but anything is possible. Right now, what I'm focused on for the most part is the health and safety of those who are important to me, since, as I said, I've received information that I could have possibly been exposed. And, for the record, I do have a strong immune system, but that doesn't mean all that much, especially when it comes to possible unknowing transmission to others. In fact, today, I was called a terrorist for possibly being a carrier.

There are financial considerations that are weighing on me, too. At the moment, both my parents have jobs which are considered essential. That could change at a moment's notice, however. We're not poor by any means, but with literally no source of income, especially for several months, we would tank, just as many others would. That's why I feel so bad even worrying about that, because I know that, right now, there are hundreds of thousands of people who can no longer make ends meet. I worry even harder for my partner's family, who are more or less scraping by as it is. Knowing that I can do nothing to help, that's one of the worst feelings I've ever experienced. And, since I can't change it, or pull money out of my ass to keep them afloat should they need it, all I can do is ruminate on it.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-03-24 03:32:40

@turtlepower17, unless you deliberately went out of your way to contract it and then went out of your way to spread it, you're no terrorist in my book.  Hell, even if you had it and were being unfairly hunted down as such just for being a carrier, you'd find refuge in our home.  Now as to how you'd get here?  Well, that's a solution I haven't had to figure out yet, so make of that what you will.
Your past is your past; your future isn't here.  I'm glad you're focused on the present, as that's the only thing that matters today.  Tomorrow  will get here soon enough and everything that comes along with it, without us having to try and bring it along any faster.  Maybe that sounds like a bunch of empty platitudes, and you're welcome to tell me as much in the state of mind you're in... I promise you I won't take it or anything else you throw at me to heart right now, given everyone is seriously messed up at present.  I've got people on both sides of the fence where this thing is concerned who are mad at me at present; one side says I'm not taking this seriously enough, the other that I'm taking it too seriously.  Someone just got mad at me for allowing my 8 year old to take out the trash, while yet another person, two hours later, got done telling me that I was a fear-mongering idiot for having my children sanitize everything from their doorknobs to their shoes.  Me?  I'm just doing my best to hold it together.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-03-24 04:58:29

Yeah, there really are no best practices. Common sense is the one thing that gets us pretty far in terms of most things, and I hope it will be a solid guide where this is concerned too, but we'll just have to see.

Another thing I wanted to mention in my last post is about how scared I am of being quarantined. I don't know what it entails, but it can't be anything good, seeing as how most people seem to believe, on this thread and elsewhere, that people who have the virus should be treated as criminals and/or terrorists. The thing that scares me the most is, what if my partner were to contract this thing, and test positive? Of course, the first thing I would be concerned about would be his health, and that of those around him, but then there's a very selfish part of me that's going, I can't deal with him just disappearing, and not being allowed to tell me or anyone else where he is. I assume that quarantine is a lot like solitary confinement, though God knows, and I really don't even want to think about, the locations of said solitary confinement. And if I'm the one doing the disappearing? I'd like to think he'd cope much better than me--lord knows he's a very upbeat person, and he's been my anchor throughout this ordeal, though he needs me now too--but I still wouldn't want to do that to him. When I go for several hours without hearing from him (like now) I spiral into full-on panic mode. I hate it! Maybe if we weren't in separate states, it wouldn't be so bad, but we are, and that's how it is.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-03-24 05:36:49

I agree on all points.
Of course I'd do the right thing, and yes there is room to improve there always will be.
Sure if something gets like this and we find something that works then cool.
There is a lot of unknowns in this.
I wouldn't go against any lockdown or anything I am not like that.
People are allready asking questions about it and fair enough.
My issue would be if for whatever reason we got clear then made a mistake and were not, then again thats just me.
Its not like I have any choice weather we lock down or not or what the government does.
In my intro law studdies, I learned the government is the supreem power.
It can do almost exactly what it likes and we don't have much control over that.
I went to the shops today, our last day of freedom, some say a month officially others say 2 months.
I just hope everyone is doing the right thing.
And yeah I agree with commen sence.
I just hope that once we come out the otherside that we don't lose what we have recovered in the planet by spending cash on fuel oil etc but we probably will.
I'd like to think we wouldn't but climate change has dropped out of the media vocabularly so its not the hot topic.
It may be again but right now no one is concentrating on the planet as such.
But yeah, we will see.
Its early days.

2020-03-24 13:25:22

Yesterday a lockdown was also announced over here starting friday. We were at 402 confirmed cases in the country when this was announced, apparently it's 554 today (but fortunately no deaths yet). It's also starting to hit the rest of Africa. Zimbabwe announced two confirmed cases and one death (which obviously suggests that the actual number of cases is much more than those 2). Nigeria also had their first death recently, and I think Ghana has two deaths. Rwanda went into total lockdown a few days ago at only 17 confirmed cases, we should have maybe also done this earlier. Our one advantage is that we have a pretty young population on average. But we also have a lot of people living with HIV, TB and other conditions which make them more susceptible to any infection, especially a respiratory one. And then we also have poor people living in small, high density clusters. The government telling people to keep their distance and wash their hands is pretty meaningless for those people who live with their whole family in a single shack with no access to water. Some parts of the country have been dealing with a drought for a long time now, to the extent that in several towns the taps have run dry because their dams are empty, so those people also don't have access to water. And shops are being emptied of hand sanitisers by mostly upper and middle class people who don't really need them, so those who do need them and can actually afford it can't get them anyway. There are obviously countries who have it much worse. I know DRC, CAR and Somalia all also reported at least one case. I have no idea how countries like that where the government doesn't control all of the country's territory and with very weak systems can possibly respond to an outbreak. DRC has been struggling with ebola and they had a hard time containing it. It's going to be especially hard in countries in civil war like Libya, I doubt it's possible for them to do anything if it reaches them.
The other issue, even in a best case scenario where the shutdown completely stops the spread and we don't have to worry about the virus anymore, we're pretty screwed economically. It's a standard lockdown like in many other countries, meaning everyone must stay in their homes accept to buy essentials or get medical care, and all none-essential businesses have to close. The country has already been struggling economically before this, and we would have likely had a recession regardless, but now it's going to be much worse. A lot of small businesses are likely not going to survive having no business for this long, and we already have a very high unemployment rate as it is. And all the people who work in low-end manual jobs like domestic workers etc who rely on their small incomes to support them and their families are also screwed. Same with the people in the informal economy, who make their living from small spaza shops or as street vendors for example. The government is trying to do what they can to soften the blow but there's only so much they can do. This thing is going to have some serious long-term consequences and ruin a lot of lives.

2020-03-24 16:13:49

in India the situation has begun to get versen 525 confirmed cases and 10 deaths
one of our medical firm has announced that they have made an indiginous korona virus testing kit and they have promised to make 100000 korona virus testing kits a week

want peace to be there everywhere around the world also I want an immediate sollution to be given for this war so that the bloodshed could be ended. live peacefully, let others also live peacefully

2020-03-24 16:45:46

The UK is now, finally, also under lockdown. Honestly, I'm relieved. Prior to last night my family were doing everything in their power to push the boundries, I'm just hoping this will be the rood awakening they need to start taking this thing seriously.
On another note, should anyone want somebody to talk to, you can reach me at the email [email protected], twitter @arqeria and facebook https://facebook.com/haily.merry.2003. My college has now gone online, my gender clinic appointment has been postponed until further notice, everything else in my life has pretty much gone to shit. I'll be around and willing to talk to anyone else who's struggling because of this bloody virus.

2020-03-24 19:40:46

New Mexicans were ordered to stay at home as of yesterday unless it was for essential shopping, medical needs, or any other essential services.. I lost a lot of freedom and independence over the last two years do to medical issues, and I can't pretend it doesn't suck to lose more freedoms. Before anybody jumps down my throat, I do get the severity of the situation, and I do intend to honor it to the best of my abilities. I've got a life though, people who I care for, and things out of the house I need to tend to. I can't stop my people from checking in on me either. I've got a plethora of anti bacterial products in my house, and I'm feeling fine.. Everybody, please be safe.

2020-03-24 23:23:15

Well For me, being that I am home for most of the time its not to bad.
I do help an aunt who visits daily and has been doing it since I remember and I go to her house which is close to me and walk in an isolated part of the bush close to her house.
So I probably can do that, but no more.
I can probably also walk with my mum close to the local beach and my dad round the block, but thats about it.
Though I am unsure how much this will effect things, its only for a month anyway and becides the weather is changing away from summer.

2020-03-25 02:36:40

Turtlepower and others:
I believe there has been talk about forced isolation and quarantine, the sort of thing where you can't contact loved ones and are essentially trapped.
From all the research I have done, this is not in the plan and not something America, much less other countries, would be likely to do.
I am quite sure that except in extenuating circumstances, you cannot be placed in medical isolation of this sort against your will, particular if there are other means of treating your illness. You aren't going to show up with symptoms and suddenly find yourself locked up with no recourse and none of your belongings on hand. Mostly, I believe it is being suggested for folks to self-isolate at home as opposed to being locked in hospital wards.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-03-25 03:21:11

@turtlepower17, if and when you get the chance, please check your private messages.

2020-03-25 08:27:16

india has gone under complete lockdown from today onwards till 21 days

want peace to be there everywhere around the world also I want an immediate sollution to be given for this war so that the bloodshed could be ended. live peacefully, let others also live peacefully

2020-03-25 10:06:18

We're now in lockdown here in the UK, all none essential travel restricted, and the police just given powers to at least enquire on people's plans, and theoretically to fine anyone they see travelling without a reason (although as parliament pointed out this will be bloody difficult to enforce), though to be honest a lot of people are self isolating anyway. They're apparently taking a leaf from China's book and converting an exhibition centre in London into a massive hospital, with the army draughted in to help preparations.
Actually from a friend of mine in London, apparently things in the capital are really rather bonkers right now in terms of massive kews for shops and so on, though since she and her husband did as my lady and I did and laid in some sensible supplies a few weeks ago they're okay and just doing essentials.

Oddly enough, Mrs. Dark and i are pretty much okay, indeed with my lady on the at risk list I don't want to take too many risks in terms of going shopping, though we've got plenty of frozen things.

I'll say part of me is feeling a trifle smug in that whilst both England's social conditions for blind people mean I've not really had a social life, now all that being content with my own and my lady's company is paying off, and people are having to cope with the same, indeed this is another reason I rather hope some good comes out of all of this.

It's also important to remember of course that matters in China are improving now, so it will get better eventually if people can just get through things.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-25 17:04:02

more than 19000 people dead all around the world

2020-03-25 17:06:48

Dark wrote:

We're now in lockdown here in the UK, all none essential travel restricted, and the police just given powers to at least enquire on people's plans, and theoretically to fine anyone they see travelling without a reason (although as parliament pointed out this will be bloody difficult to enforce), though to be honest a lot of people are self isolating anyway. They're apparently taking a leaf from China's book and converting an exhibition centre in London into a massive hospital, with the army draughted in to help preparations.
Actually from a friend of mine in London, apparently things in the capital are really rather bonkers right now in terms of massive kews for shops and so on, though since she and her husband did as my lady and I did and laid in some sensible supplies a few weeks ago they're okay and just doing essentials.

Oddly enough, Mrs. Dark and i are pretty much okay, indeed with my lady on the at risk list I don't want to take too many risks in terms of going shopping, though we've got plenty of frozen things.

I'll say part of me is feeling a trifle smug in that whilst both England's social conditions for blind people mean I've not really had a social life, now all that being content with my own and my lady's company is paying off, and people are having to cope with the same, indeed this is another reason I rather hope some good comes out of all of this.

It's also important to remember of course that matters in China are improving now, so it will get better eventually if people can just get through things.

nice quote

2020-03-26 00:17:14

This video was taken by a Chinese man as he travels through a shopping district in search of supplies. In the video, he discusses the normality that has returned to China, and the consequences of the government's actions therein. The video is in english, and it's about 10 minutes long. Thought I'd put this here for anyone interested.

2020-03-26 00:32:41

ACtually things here are getting a bit more serious. The lockdown is in place, plus they're now recommending even when people go out, they remain two meters away from one another.
they're also saying that people on the at risk list need to stay inside for the full 3 months, as well as anyone who lives with them, so that means my lady and I are both equally house bound at the second.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-26 00:47:22

Yup just like here. That subject of prayer was in my inbox this morning, so for sure have been and will continue to do so.

2020-03-26 09:24:39

more than 630 cases in india I wish everything gets well soon

2020-03-26 13:35:15

Okay I heard a few rather scary facts yesterday. Namely that the virus remains active on cardboard for up to three days, and even on plastic surfaces for a day. Indeed, I suspect that is one reason it is so infectious, because of the very hard corona that bares it's name, a characteristic more common to bacteria than viruses.

Needless to say, this means we're being very careful even with stuff from amazon, I'm opening them outside whilst wearing disposable gloves then chucking boxes straight in the bin and throwing the gloves away.

On the plus side, more hospitals are being converted, and the government is ordering ventilators from Dyson, actually if some good comes out of this, maybe the stupid conservatives will stop with the health service cuts and privatisation shenanigans.

They are however saying that the peak is likely to come in two or three weeks, though on the plus sidethe quarantine is apparently now relaxing in China, and with China being a far more totalitarian government and far more in control of the populous, this definitely shows people there is an eventual end.