2020-03-25 20:49:53 (edited by vortex1024 2022-06-03 13:10:52)

*update: compatible with NVDA 2022.1.
Hello,
Today I released the beta version of my newest NVDA addon, which reads subtitles for all videos, even live streams!
LION, Live, Intelligent OCR for NVDA, is an addon which uses the OCR technology to periodically scan the screen and report only the text which has been changed, avoiding repeating static text. This last feature is the reason I called it intelligent smile.
To toggle it, use NVDA+alt+l.
Some of its most important settings are the OCR interval, the time between scans, and the possibility to crop parts of the screen from scanning, which which allow you to remove tv logos or other text which may be repeated unnecessarily. Also, it decreases CPU load and generates quicker OCR results.
After you change a setting, toggle the addon for it to make effect.
The OCR target setting doesn't work very well at the moment, hence I called it a beta. I thought that, in these times, the addon might help people kill boredom, even in this beta stage.
Use full screen video, at the best quality you can find, since this addon works like human eyes, a little worse than them, for now. smile
Find more details in the addon help.
The addon requires windows 10 and its OCR feature to work.

And now, here's the link:
https://github.com/vortex1024/LION/releases/latest

Repo, if you want to contribute:
https://github.com/vortex1024/LION

2020-03-25 20:51:29

This is so cool!

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2020-03-25 21:08:40

it is for nvda 2019.2 or 2019.3?

let's rock!

2020-03-25 21:27:23

2020-03-25 22:01:09

didn't work. tried it with this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDFcm2OFpeo

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2020-03-25 22:04:10

@5: this video doesn't seem to even have subtitles, it seems to be a video of someone actually doing it by capturing the screen, either by screen capture software or camera.

2020-03-25 22:24:12

This is awesome! It works with subtitles, but it, sorta works with games too. I hope that the development of this will continue.

"Snake, don't worry about it. There's more to being a good person than just having a stereo television."

2020-03-25 22:27:22

Can you add or promote this addon on the NVDA addons comunity? I mean, can you review it for publication?

73 Wj3u

2020-03-25 22:38:12

Thank you very much for this.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2020-03-25 22:54:08

Wow! I have been waiting for an addon like this for a long time. I just tested it and it works well. Keep this one going and well done! Thanks!

Ask, and you will receive.
Seek, and you will find.
Knock, And the door will be opened for you
Mat. 7:7

2020-03-25 23:27:00

Hello guys!
I tried with many configurations, but noone worked here.
I Tried in netflix and youtube, with this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6SZa5U8sIg
The subtitles I put in portuguese.

2020-03-25 23:48:53

Unfortunately it didn't work in netflix as I thought. I set the video on full screen, turned on subtitles, OCR is set to OCR the whole screen but unnecessary stuff are recognized. I cropped 70% up of the screen but it still didn't work.

I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2020-03-26 00:35:33

Thank you!
I tested it in Netflix as first option, as well. And it didn't work there.
But I will try it in another platforms smile

Cristian.

2020-03-26 03:12:29

Hi
this hear great.
Greetings and thanks.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2020-03-26 03:24:23

Have you considered to submit the add-on to the NVDA official add-ons repositories?

2020-03-26 08:45:16

@socheat You've catched me on that one!

73 Wj3u

2020-03-26 10:43:54

I've just tested it on youtube and it works great. Make sure your window is maximized and you are watching the video in full screen to get the best result.
@vortex great work man, I am glad that something like this was finally released, I've been waiting for something like this for a long while.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2020-03-26 10:54:17

this is some sexy shit friend keep it up wish i could help

2020-03-26 11:04:35

hello
for me, this thing don't work.
i made portable version of nvda 2019.3.1, installed this addon and pressed key combination in video from youtube, but nothing happened.

let's rock!

2020-03-26 11:34:37

Loving this so far, and it is accurate in a lot of places. I'm experimenting with both full-screen and window mode, and it seems like sometimes the app finds the window correctly and sometimes it doesn't. I've had similar results with the built-in OCR feature so this may be outside of the add-ons control. Thanks for sharing.

2020-03-26 11:55:17

Original poster, you got a big thumbs up from me. Nice job, keep it up.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2020-03-26 20:06:56

Perhaps a related useful thing would be to update speech history to work with the latest NVDa so one could easily archive and capture text that is written to the screen.

2020-03-26 21:05:33

Hello,
Can you please add an option that interrupts speech whenever new text comes in? This way playing games iwth it can be easier.

2020-03-26 23:10:35

What features would you like to be added? Better OCR quality is not possible, because I am using the built in windows 10 OCR. The current window, control and  navigator object  don't work quite well for the moment, hence the word beta.
I decided to release it still, since I got many requests for just subtitle reading.

The nvda addon community development guidelines are much too strict. I developed this in my spare time, with precarious python knowledge. It's not the most beautiful, or efficient, but it works.

Diego, I don't have access to netflix, but the youtube video worked for me. Probably not very accurate, since I have my nvda OCR language set to Romanian, but it worked. Are you sure you enabled the subtitles, got into full screen mode and set the video quality to the maximum?
For some strange reason, it works in chrome,and not in firefox.

Burak, could you ask a sighted person where on the screen the unnecessary things are and try to crop them, too? Hmm, the text interruption should have happened automatically. Can you give me a place to test?

Artur, see the advices I gave to Diego.

2020-03-27 00:09:10

Hello,
You can put NVDA to sleep mode and test it on a game. It will not interrupt. Also in some games some text on the screen do change while scrolling through menus, but for some reason lion doesn't say anything, even though when I press NVDA+r I can see that stuf, but not the whole screen, have changed. I set OCR to whole screen and interval to 0.1. Could it be because the game I'm playing doesn't have borderless full screen support? It's really great that you're using builtin windows OCR.