2020-03-23 23:19:47 (edited by devinprater 2020-04-22 16:31:59)

With the Final Fantasy 7 remake coming, I thought I'd bring focus to the Final Fantasy fighting game, called Dissidia. In it, you have the main character and rival of the first ten, or in DuoDecim's case, 12, Final Fantasy games, in one world, fighting for the gods of order and chaos. It is more than just a fighting game, however. It does have an "arcade" mode, or simple battles, but also has a story mode, RPG type story mode, ways to unlock new characters, stages, and battle music, and even a way to listen to all of the music in the game. Characters gain experience after each battle. When enough experience is collected for a character, that character levels up, gaining the ability to use new attacks.

Speaking of attacks, there are three slots, three for ground, three for air, for both HP (hitpoints), and BRV (bravery) attacks, Bravery used to lower opponents' defense. This allows characters to be customized greatly, meaning that a character can be made into your personal play style.

Even in combat, the game is more than just a fighting game. One can send a foe flying, then chase the opponent, attacking further for even more damage, or to weaken their defense further. Ex-cores can be gathered as they appear on the battle field to raise a character's ex-gauge, and when full, a character can enter a mode of even more power, with the ability to unleash a devastating attack on the opponent, possibly winning the match.

These games were originally released for the PSP (Playstation Portable), but can be emulated perfectly on a computer, using PPSSPP with screen reader's OCR and online play, or Retroarch with its accessibility and OCR. Personally, I play the games on the computer, not using original hardware. I use PPSSPP on Windows, with NVDA's OcR function. I've also found the Lion add-on to be helpful, except while in battles. On the Mac, I use Retroarch, although online play is not possible with Retroarch. I just use it because PPSSPP isn't so accessible on the Mac.

The gameplay is 3D, with characters able to do ground and air combat. All characters have different move sets, voices, stories, and play styles, but the controls are the same. Original Dissidia has an accessible story mode, but less characters, and is not widely played online. Dissidia DuoDecim has more characters, and is played online in the Discord community of Dissidia, but its story mode is not accessible, however can be played with astronomical patience, determination, and luck. Both games' game play is similar, however.

For text notes on playing the game, see:

https://github.com/devinprater/accessib … es-list.md

For a Getting Started Youtube video tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XFFAVvdk3U&t=1213s

For the second Youtube tutorial, on customizing characters:

https://youtu.be/1J9MoJZOVNI

And if you want to join a Discord for talking about Dissidia, finding online matches, and all that, go to:

https://discordapp.com/invite/a44rneC

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-03-24 00:33:25

Hey don't forget that there is an rpg mode unlockable in the first game but available by default in the second games.

When I got this for christmas, it was the only umd that stayed in my psp for months and months. I even bought a second umd copy for my brother so we could fight one another. And now I have a digital copy on my vita. Few games I ever buy more than once, but this is one of them.

You can also make replays of your fights and convert them to .avi format. I think there is a video on youtube somewhere of me fighting my brother with onion knight, somehow managing to pull off the inaccessible special and beating him while using rpg mode.

2020-03-24 01:12:02

The Ex-burst can be used without worry of inputting the buttons when you reach level 15. You can customize your character to add that. If enough people become interested, I'll do a tutorial about that. Also, when you join the Discord, you can download a "tournament pack" which contains a save file, 100% completed and customized, so you don't have to activate any ex-burst command assist or anything. You can customize the characters further, if you want, of course.

@KenshiraTheTrinity I'd love to see how good you are at the game. smile

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-03-24 09:27:44 (edited by SLJ 2020-03-24 09:34:17)

Hi.
I never got started on Retroarch, but might get time to that cause of the Corona crap here in my country.
Damn if I just wish the game were that much accessible then I played a lot on my psp.
Quick question, which might has been answered many times before:
I wanna buy the game and use it in an emulator if possible. Can I buy the game in the Playstation network and either use it on my Mac or in Windows? I wanna avoid cracks if possible.
I wish there would be made a remake of this game for newer consoles. That would be amazing.
Edit: I just searched on Google, and found the answer to my question. There seems to be two versions of the game. I have found DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY. I'm not sure on what game to choose.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-03-24 14:31:04

If you want the one with the most playable story mode then get the first dissidia. I like 012, but it has too many free roaming sections. A big draw for me in any game is single player content, which is why dissidia is a more appealing option. @slj You can also try dissidia nt on the pc. Only thing I dont like about that one is the lack of a proper story mode. So you have to play through the game's other modes to unlock story cutscenes.

2020-03-24 17:17:28

If you get regular Dissidia, you get more story mode. If you get 012, you get more characters, and the Dissidia Discord plays 012 online. If you buy the game, which I did, you can't actually download it. But, since I bought it, I felt that I could download it from another source.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-03-24 17:42:30

I put instructions on downloading it in my vita guide. wink

2020-03-24 20:10:48 (edited by devinprater 2020-03-24 20:35:36)

Okay, I found the guide, but one cannot, any longer, simply download an ISO of a game straight from the PSN store.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-03-24 21:49:37

Thanks a lot guys. I'll hopefully get time to check this out.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-03-25 16:42:30

Hi, sorry if this sound stupid, but how is the character screen organised?

2020-03-25 16:46:11

If I remember correctly, it's a straight row where all of the characters are listed in the order of their game, at least for the original dissidia.

2020-03-25 20:24:23

That's right. In Dissidia Duodecim, the new characters are in a column at the top, hero's of the first ten games in the next row, villains in the third row, and miscellaneous characters, mainly villains, in the last row, with "Random" in there somewhere too, on the last row.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-03-29 02:27:10

Hey all, my next tutorial video for Dissidia Final Fantasy is uploading. In this one, I show how to customize characters. https://youtu.be/1J9MoJZOVNI

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-03-30 10:47:46

OK, OK, i know, this is most certainly a beginner mistake.
win10OCR gives me no reasonable results. I allways got something about creating screenshots and another option. But no game menu texts at all.
Can someone help me with this?
I am using ppsspp1.9.3

2020-03-30 22:16:41

Just out of curiosity, how does the command mode work if it is accessible at all?

2020-03-30 23:35:50

In command mode, your character runs automatically circling the enemy, or fleeing, depending on what command you issue. It works differently depending on what dissidia you play in terms of button layout, but similarly in function. I will do my best to describe how it is used, and yes, it is quite accessible.

Your bravery attack is the first option of the menu in dissidia, but is tied to the circle button in 012. Press it to command your character to perform a bravery attack, and they will at an opportune moment. If you have a dash ability equipped, issuing the command will cause your character to dash in range in the dissidia, but triangle is to dash in 012. Simply issue the command again to tell your character to attack.

The next option under bravery is your hp attack, which in 012 is tied to the square button. This functions in the same way as the bravery command, so I wont write it out. Under the hp attack is the guard command. Press this for your character to block an incoming attack. Not sure what button this tied to in 012, but I think it may be cross, if not then its triangle and cross is to dash.

To the right of the guard command is the x special command. This is important because guard is the last command in the list, and this is how you will know, since you cant go left or right on any other option. This command is tied to holding r and pressing square in 012. Use it to enter x mode after you have a core or full gage. To perform your x special, issue your hp attack again while your character is hp attacking the enemy.

If you get your enemy into a rebound, you can attack their bravery with the bravery command or circle buttons in both games, or hp attack command or the square buttons in both games. Unfortunately I do not remember to activate a summon if it isnt automatic, but someone can fill that out if they can figure it out.

In the old games of final fantasy, you can flee a battle by holding both shoulder buttons. This is important, because that is how you flee in command mode. Additionally, I believe you can level up your character's ai, or give them an ai boost for command mode. Pretty sure that ai boost is a thing. Remember that command in 012 does not use the arrows at all, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but definitely navigating command with arrows is strictly a feature of the first game.

I hope that helps. Happy hunting.

2020-03-30 23:52:40

You may have the Windows Game Bar open. Use Windows + G, then dismiss that. Also, copy the results of your OCR, Insert + R, Control + A, Control + C, and paste that to me or something.

And don't worry about stupid questions. If you ask questions, you get smart. If you don't, you only look smart. smile

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-03-31 09:11:07

Thanks for your answer!
I think there is something generaly wrong with my OCR-settings, cause it never retrieves my current windows. For example for now it gives me earlier stuff from systemnotifications.
I will see if i can find something about this behaviour in some other documentations.

2020-04-08 03:55:45

Hi all. For the past few days, I've been doing streams on Twitch. I plan to mainly play Dissidia Final Fantasy, although I'm up for playing other games when I get tired of it. I plan to go through the whole story, and try my very best to get the true ending! I think Twitch has saved my previous streams; I just got done with one; so y'all can watch the previous ones. I'm very new to streaming, so sorry if something isn't working.

II just started using the Lion NVDA addon, for automatic OCR, and it works very well with Dissidia. To check out my Twitch, see:

https://twitch.tv/devinprater

Thanks all for viewing. I usually stream around  PM Central US time, although I can reschedule if it works better for y'all.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-04-12 14:38:46

Added the menu items in the options menu. I recommend setting battle start movie to long.

https://github.com/devinprater/accessib … es-list.md

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-04-14 23:31:24

Hi,
Thank you for doing this.  I started playing this the other day and admittedly had no idea what I was doing and just pressing buttons while attempting to figure out what was happening.
I'm so looking forward to getting into this game and experiencing it with you all in here.
Has anybody had any luck with the second one for psp?  I know the first is a lot easier to navigate, just curious. 
Also, have any of you played much of final fantasy x?  I'm considering picking  it up.
I'm very, very excited to get lost in this game, if you couldn't tell.  Haven't been this excited for a long time.  Customisation and rpg mechanics are things I don't get to experience much, so I can't wait.

2020-04-14 23:58:11

I was able to make a little bit of progress in the second game's story by randomly wandering the open world map and randomly jumping and hitting things, but nan that takes a ton of patience. It's not just the gates you need to unlock and open either, around the world are scattered chests with stuff you might miss wandering around blindly. I think at one point I just got fed up with wandering around and called in my brother to help.

2020-04-16 16:03:13

@21, in that page with the menu is also a link, … maybe both links? To a Youtube two part tutorial I did on beginning the game, and doing customization. If you have questions, please, please ask. And the people in the Discord are nice.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-04-16 21:22:13

awesome.
So my guess is in the first game we can play it to the full and have hours worth of content, but the second not so much, apart from battling?
still might grab it though.
Expect a fair few questions.  This should be fun.

2020-04-16 22:20:00

@24 correct.