2020-03-24 01:40:43

Hi.

For those who are thinking, I told you so, well done tongue you're 100% correct.

I'm not buying the blindshell phone and will be sticking to my IPhones in the future.

I find android a bit to clunky or perhaps different for me so will be sticking to apple.

why am I not going to buy the BlindShell phone? Texting and the fact is; I'd miss to many apps.

I thought that texting would be cool, a flashback to the past as it were but no, it's slow and clunky on the victor reader stream so I'd imagine it would be the same way on the BlindShell clasic.

I can speak to it but honestly after using the victor reader stream, I'm not willing to wrisk it.

I got the victor reader stream thinking that I'd have a new device I could play podcasts on and also listen to the radio with but have realised my IPhone is tuns faster and a lot easier to use.

The biggest bripe I have with the device is that you can only coppy/move? 10 podcast eppisodes over from the main memory to the SD card at a time, so let's say your podcast has 100 eppisodes, have fun finding the podcast, then pressing the top right button a couple times until you find the move option, then pressing the bottom right key, then waiting for the device to speak about moving and confirming if you want to move the podcasts epppisodes, then pressing the confirm button then waiting for about a minute while they move over, then waiting for that podcast to download another 10 eppisodes and doing it all over again.

Honestly? This is one of the slowest worst perchices I've made but I'll at least keep it for a year, you however, shouldn't buy this book player in my oppinion or if you do, at least try one out first.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-03-24 03:40:31

what version of the stream do you have? i got mine for about 20 bucks last month but i only use it to read cause it lasts longer than any phone i've used of constant reading. that is the only reason though

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

2020-03-24 03:43:13

the victor reader trek is amazing

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2020-03-24 03:43:27

It's the latest one.

I'm going to give it to a charity asap.

2020-03-24 04:14:40

or you could sent it over to your fellow harry potter fan. rofl or sell it to said friend or pm me rofl wow.

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

2020-03-24 04:25:18

These devices exist primarily to be sold to unsuspecting schools.  That's half a joke, but also kind of not.  There are, surprisingly, sources of funding which schools have access to that can only be used on certain things through companies which have gone through various legal hurdles.

The Victor Reader Stream had a brief moment in something like 2008 where it shined because iPhones hadn't really become super popular yet, and Bookshare hadn't gone as digital as it is, and RFBND (now Learning Ally) didn't have apps but you had to use a device that supported their DRM to play the files.  I'm old enough to remember being so thrilled that I didn't have to carry around a CD player that was as big as a netbook.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-03-24 04:47:22

as i said, the only reason i would like it is to read long books without dieing about the battery not lasting me on my phone for other things. as for the treck, no app today can set lanmarks, and navigate in open places as of yet that i've seen.

2020-03-24 05:15:04

Hi.

@camlorn: I guess I wanted it for a break from my phone but... I could just use my computer for that.

I've just emailed a charity and hopefully they'll get back to me tomorrow and someone will take it off my hands.

@techmaster20I'm glad you enjoy the treck but I don't like the victor reader streams layout and honestly the fact you can't connect bluetooth headphones to this thing in this day and age is shockingly bad.

2020-03-24 05:59:02

@7
The app you're probably looking for is Blindsquare. I have yet to hear of a blindness-specific option that beats an iPhone plus Blindsquare.  Equals, maybe; beats, no.  But perhaps I will be surprised one of these days.  And yes, you can set markers.

My Blog

2020-03-24 06:55:11

@Brad: The Trek, not the stream, can connect headphones and is a shit ton faster in performance than the Stream2. Agreed re: Blindsquare, but until IPhone apps can b truly remote controlled, I'll keep the physical buttons, thank you. Even then there's the obvious issue of battery drain with not all phones being very energy-efficient, and sometimes you just need the phone to, you know, be the phone.

2020-03-24 09:11:01 (edited by Dark 2020-03-24 09:13:53)

Oddly enough, I switched from using Ios as my main book player in 2014 to the Victor stream and have never looked back, since given the choice I'd much rather have a device I can just copy stuff onto with a usb in a straight forward manner, preserving folder structure, rather than have to go through all the shenanigans with Itunes and Apple's stupidly silly tagging system, plus of course, with the stream I have 32 gb of sd card space just! for books, rather than having to use my phone's hd.

I've never used it for podcasts, so can't say on the issue Brad was having here, but personally I've always liked the victor stream and would recommend it, indeed we're goig to have to buy a new one for MRs. Dark since her plextalk is really on it's last legs

Hay, different strokes as they say.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-24 09:14:55

Hi.

@jack, you can connect bluetooth headphones to the treck? nice.

@dark, I'm sure it's great for books but for podcasts I find it to be slow but as you say, different strokes.

2020-03-24 13:38:15

The Stream is a good media player, but Humanware has fallen short when it comes to everything else. There are still lots of wireless features I'd like to see, but it looks like software support for both the Stream and Trek is limited to minor enhancements and bug fixes. It's a shame. Where's the FM radio support for the Trek that was promised over 2 years ago? Why hasn't the Stream majorly changed since April of 2017?

The reason the Wi-Fi and book transfers are so slow is most likely due to the slow processor. Supposedly the Stream has a 580 MHz single-core ARM processor. I'm curious how much RAM it has, but if I had to guess, it's probably less than 256 MB. The Trek might be slightly faster, but I'm not willing to buy anymore Humanware products, especially after witnessing how bad their track record for providing meaningful software updates is.

They came out with the Apex, never used its hardware or operating system to the fullest potential, and unceremoniously dropped support for it. The same was true for the original BrailleNote Touch, and I haven't heard anything major going on with the newer model which is running a version of Android that while okay for now, will become more and more obsolete as the years march on.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-03-24 14:34:56

I use the Stream, not the treck, and I still like it much better than the I Phone for book reading. All I use the I Phone for is simple phone things like calling, texting and setting alarms. I used to have a Samsung Intensity 2 before the I Phone and liked that better in terms of phone use, especially now that it has full accessibility and voice commands. It also has button opperation, internet and e-mail and even GPS if you download them. One thing that it doesn't and will never probably have is Seeing AI, which is very good and that's why I have the I Phone and Apple Watch now. Back to topic, I think the Victor Stream is good for at least ofline reading, I usually download books by putting the SD card into the computer and transfering books that way. I also put podcasts, music files and Anastacia performances on it. I sometimes use it for text files, but not that much because "Crappy Crappapella" (accapella) can't say words that I use in my books like booss, Jiminite, Sirennia and other made up words or Manamon names.

Barren Byron used Nature Overdrive!

2020-03-24 15:09:58

@brad or anyone else who has one they want taken off their hands, I'd be interested in buying a second gen stream, however I really don't have the money to buy a new one. I have the first gen right now and it's great, but I'd really like some of the internet functionality. E.G. native audible support, podcast downloading, internet radio streaming, etc. Would anyone be willing to sell one for a *reasonable* price?

2020-03-24 16:14:01

agree with @10

2020-03-24 16:18:19

I am trying to buy the treck but i am trying to find it used or cheaper just for my books and louder internal speaker. My original vr stream is good but the speaker on it sucks. pluss, lanmarks and open navigation is nice and like i said, not even blindsquare can do open nav

2020-03-24 17:01:45

Lol hate to disappoint you Ernie, but the speaker on the second gen is actually way worse than that of the original. I can't speak for the treck as I've never tried it, but yeah. I still want a second gen though. smile

2020-03-24 17:03:31

@10
You can remotely control blindsquare via bluetooth headphones.  It has a single-button interface using the play button, or you can configure the play button to do voice commands instead.

My Blog

2020-03-24 17:26:40

@Brad and @chris:
Trek runs on a quad core snapdragon410e running at 1.2ghz. Ram I'm not sure if it's 2gb or 4, but either way it's much better than the Stream2's speed. I was able to download 70 episodes of a podcast series I needed to move over in all of a day's work. As for updates, they're coming. Their main focus has really been a major reworking of the routing engine. They are using a new routing engine that works out a lot of the kinks within open nav and turn-by-turn directions. Yes, it actually does make a noticeable difference. Galileo support is coming, the FCC just needs to actually approve it for commercial use which was promised many months ago but the FCC has been noticeably slower to act. Bluetooth beacons and the fm radio are coming as well. But the routing engine, even though it was an under the hood update, is definitely a major one that did require a few months of work on its own.
Agreed re: the Stream2's speaker. While it's weak volume-wise, it has better balance at least.

2020-03-24 17:50:50 (edited by livrobo 2020-03-24 17:55:41)

@Ernie:
The free Nearby Explorer Online app can do open navigation if you need something while you find a Trek.

Edit: Just in case I've misunderstood what you're looking for, you can save a landmark and navigate to it using clock-face type directions.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2020-04-03 00:19:22

@jack: I completely agree with you. I don't regret my purchase of the treck. I've owned all 3 streams, the first gen, second gen, and the treck. THe first gen I don't have anymore, but i have both the treck and the second gen still. It's really great to hear that updates are coming. I indeed did see something in my e-mail about a podcast they are doing talking about what they have planned fot the treck this year. I believe it's going to be sometime on the 7th of this month for anyone who is interested. I'm not sure what time it will be, but i'm pretty sure there's a recording you will be able to listen to later.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2020-04-03 02:49:45

Hi.

Wow, I'm shocked people are still commenting on this post, I forgot about it.

@haily_merry, sorry but I'm going to give the stream to a charity for the blind after this whole virus thing clears up.

@everyone who likes the stream and treck, great! It's not my kind of thing but that doesn't mean it's bad, it's just not for me.

2020-04-06 01:17:58

Agreed with blindsquare and the i Phone for sure. Could not find an app on android that was like blindsquare. Sure there are GPS apps for blind people on android but I just feel like blindsquare has a much easier layout and presents the information the best. I'd say nearby explorer is the way to go on android though. Also was not impressed with the victor stream. Granted this was back in 08 when I used one. The blind shell is a good idea for sure but I would imagine going from an i Phone to that is a huge change.

2020-04-06 01:27:29 (edited by Chris 2020-04-06 01:30:53)

Are updates coming for the second gen stream? Are they significant, or minor bug fixes only? There are so many things I'd like to see added to the Stream that should be possible, even with its limited processing power. I think the one that would be the coolest is support to send audio to Chromecast and/or AirPlay devices.

I also have to wonder about the security of the product. I wonder if it's using an outdated version of Linux? Could something exploit it? As more and more time passes with no significant updates to the Stream, I am becoming increasingly worrried that the product is reaching end of life.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.