2020-03-23 19:29:41 (edited by NortheasternGorilla 2023-12-25 07:20:51)

Hi all,

I will keep this first post updated.
Here are all of the different ways the narrated playthroughs can be accessed:
Youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/c/GorillasPlaythrough
The Podcasts:  https://anchor.fm/gorillasplaythrough
Website (which includes polls): https://gorillasplaythrough.wordpress.com/

For those unfamiliar, these are narrated playthroughs of various games. 
The 2 main longer games currently being worked on are Baldur's Gate (recently fully voiced) & Final Fantasy VII Remake.
There have also been shorter, finished games like Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Excavation of Hob's Barrow, and The Last Door.
Audio/Menu/Character guides are also provided for various games, including fighting games, usually upon request.  Those can be accessed here:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … 79D4uqmTb3

Thank you for listening.

2020-03-24 08:49:03

Alright, let's watch this one

2020-03-24 09:09:37

Watched the playthrough last night, it’s very incredible, as always. The tutorial messages is also described, which is a very good thing. Looking forward to part 2, and of course the full game when it’s out on april 10th.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2020-03-24 09:17:42

Awesome. Some people say that FF7 is the best game in the series, but I'm not sure on why. Thanks a ton for doing that. I look forward to watch this.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-03-24 14:15:14

I'll be watching this!
Also, apparently there's a soundtrack coming in summer, and if that's the case... I would definitely like to get that!

2020-03-24 14:22:46

hi
witch platforms?
thanks

2020-03-24 16:34:52

dude, epic work as always. may I ask, is the videoon screen as well?

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2020-03-24 17:02:52 (edited by NortheasternGorilla 2022-01-21 14:46:48)

Thanks a lot everyone.  Part 2 in the works now. 

Hanif, that's good feedback in regards to the tutorials.  I've been avoiding describing those in the past playthroughs out of concern that it might detract from the immersion, but they've gotten good feedback so I'll keep them going.  Tried to at least spice them up with a "radio-in" like feel, so they didn't sound boring.

Aaron, I feel like the soundtrack has been top-notch and fitting, so far.  Got the blood going! 

SLJ, definitely was a great one at the time.  I'll be curious to see the modern take on it. 

Aaron, I am playing this demo on the PS4.

Naruto, thank you, the video version is posted on Youtube.

2020-03-24 19:48:55

hi,

another great video, as ever the audio description and  quality was excellent. For anyone who has played the original Final Fantasy 7 game. What are your thoughts on  what we’ve seen so far of the remake? I have to say I’ve been really impressed, I know we’ve only seen a small section but it seems the developers have done a good job. Loved watching this yesterday and reliving the old final fantasy 7 music, but with it all nicely updated. I think the characters voices all seem to fit nicely with how I’ve always imagined they would sound too.

Paul

2020-03-24 19:55:01

Hay NortheasternGorilla, been listening to your narrated playthroughs on my victer reader stream, and really loving them!
Regarding the ff7r playthrough you're doing, I have one suggestion if you ever update part 1.
If you search on youtube you can find the full opening movie posted by square enix.
Might you consider adding the first cupple of minutes of that to the playthrough?
It does go into the existing footage you've already narrated, so you could just crossfade into that without much fus.
Just an idea. No worries if you can't/don't want to add it.
Keep up the good work!
Youtube's needed something like this for a while.
PS; once you've done the first tutorial, you don't need to keep saying "tutorial" every time one comes up, as we'll know that the radeo effect on your voice signifies this.
Also, mako, or however it's spelled is pronounced mahco, but you probably already know that if you're in to part 2 by now...
Later!
Later!

2020-03-24 21:25:53

oh by the way is it a typo on the video desc on youtube? it says Final Fantasy XII remake big_smile

2020-03-24 23:55:48

Hi.
Holy wow this is amazing. Are you reading the tutorial as well just as a radio voice, or is that a part of the game?
I look very much forward to watch more audio described content of this game.
Maybe the game is playable. I have a question about the movement in the game:
1. When moving the left analog stick up, down, left and right, does the character then move in the direction you are moving the stick?
2. Does the foot steps stop when walking into a wall?
3. Are the areas huge or is it small areas so you can't go in the wrong direction?
I might give the game a try based on your answers.
Keep up the fantastic job.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2020-03-25 01:15:26

It sounded like a spoken built-in game tutorial

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.

2020-03-25 03:00:57

Hey Lemm, it's funny because some of it is bringing back memories as I go.  I vividly remember some parts of it, but also forget quite a bit of the game/story.  But so far seems like they did a great job.  There is one particular part from the original that stood out in my mind all these years.... and I actually think about it every now and again.  I can't wait to see how they handled that part.  It's not a love / emotional part, it's a specific monster and I won't spoil it.  When it happens though, it will be awesome to talk about it with you guys. 

threeblacknoises, just checked out the opening they posted to the intro.  Thanks for the heads up, though at this point it wouldn't work out for me to repost with the previous scene of the kids playing.  Cool that you found that though.... I recall Square posting an actual movie or something of the sort for FFXV.  I was told that watching that prior to the gameplay enhanced the experience, never got around to watching it though.  Also I appreciate the rest of the feedback / info as well, and thanks for the support.

JasonBlaze, good catch.  The other playthrough I was doing previously is FFXII, must have been out of habit.  Thanks.

SLJ, the tutorial is my voice with an effect on it.  Just figured it would make it more interesting. 

1.  That is correct.  The player (Cloud & Barrett so far) is controlled by the left stick.
2.  Yes.  Your movement stops when hitting a wall or other obstacle.
3.  The areas are not huge, they are fairly linear.  Mainly rooms & cooridors, so far at least.
I am still learning as to what typically consitutes a game being called accessible / using assistance.  It's good for me to learn these things, because maybe it will help me add more helpful descriptions in the future.   

Describing the gameplay mechanics is something that I will be implementing from now on, as an example. 

I also generally talk a little about the game itself at the very end of the videos.  This way people don't have to listen to me go on about what I personally think of the game, unless they really desire to. 

Lastly, here is one thing that may be worth noting for you (and I should have mentioned this in the playthrough) There is a choice to choose Classic Mode prior to starting the game.  As per the game's description:  In Classic Mode, characters fight automatically, so the player can instead focus on selecting commands. It essentially turns the game into a classic menu-based RPG.
If that mode sounds like something any of you may be interested in, let me know.  I can put a small segment at the end of one of these playthroughs running through how that mode actually works, in action.

2020-03-25 04:48:48

I like this, and will definitely be interested to see how this ends up looking when it comes out in full.

I wasn't a crazy fan of this one when it first came out back on the PS1. I thought that, while some of its music was really good, a lot of it was really grating on the ear. It was a matter of the instrumentation they used, and the fact that it felt like it was caught between 16-bit SNES-style musical fare, and the music I knew the PS1 was capable of. And see, by contrast, FFVII and FFIX were miles better in this regard, especially the latter. This game did a lot of things right, but I feel it maybe wasn't as good as FFVI, for instance.
Nevertheless, you've done a good job here, and as I said, I'm stoked to see what they do with it.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-03-25 08:47:46

to me at least, FF VII R is not only a remake, it's a complete reimagining of the original game. from the demo and all of the footages that I've heard so far, the first part of the game is going to be huge. not only the original story is there, but they are adding new story contents and side activities that you can do.
as for the gameplay, the combat portion is going to be a bit tricky, especially the boss battles. in each battle phases, cloud will comment on what kind of attack that the boss is unleashing, and which strategy to kill it and what weak points that the boss is vulnerable to. also I think some of the puzzles might be doable. for example, when cloud reaches the first reactor, he find a laser that you have to time it right to pass it. in this part, you have to follow jesse and at the same time, you have to move while the laser is off. I heard the laser makes a sound for it, and if you get hit jesse will say something like watch out, or if you got hit several times, she'll say something even more crazier, like are you blind?
as for the original FF VII, tried it on PS1 but the game is totally unplayable. footsteps doesn't make any sounds at all, plus the game has no voice acting like the newer FF games which is starting from FF 10 and later.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,

2020-03-25 09:28:51

@NortheasternGorilla and @Hanif:
Thanks for your awesome replies. I feel extremely motivated to give the game a try.
I wander if there is any feature build into the game which points the character to the next mission objective? @NortheasternGorilla can you possibly check the following:
How much will the game allow you to go in the wrong direction?
Regarding the movement: I'll just make sure you don't misunderstand my question. Let's say you look around by using the right analog stick. If you don't fully line up by looking strait and then use the left analog stick, is the character then walking in the exact direction you are moving the stick, or are the movements based on what direction the character is phasing?
How do you save the game, and if you have to find an object to save your game, does this object make any sound? It would be bad to keep playing for hours as a blind gamer, and then miss the save points because you can't hear them.
It's quite difficult to explain what makes a game playable. Maybe I should write a checklist for things to check.
Again, thanks for all the great things you are doing.

Best regards SLJ.

2020-03-25 13:53:17

SLJ, sadly there's no way to make the character automatically turn to the objective.

2020-03-25 23:04:09 (edited by NortheasternGorilla 2020-03-25 23:05:45)

Jayde, I recall the music in FFVIII being very good and I've been wanting to try FFVI for a while.  I have to ask this, have any of you gotten into FFXV?  Personally, I loved the game and somehow I felt like it recaptured the feelings I used to get from FFVIII and FFXI in a modern way.  It may sound corny, but it also captured the road-trip feel really well.  If nothing else, the reason I bring it up is the composer Yoko Shimomura:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmKpkv4G4-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJrIlcQthNk

hanif, you're not kidding about the boss battle.  The boss in the demo took me a laughably long time to figure out his weak point on phase 2, you'll see on the video how pathetic I was.

SLJ,  In regards to saving, the demo did not give me any indicator on how this will work, so we may have to wait until the full game is released to know.  Most games autosave nowadays, but FF has usually had save points in the past, so it could go either way.

I fired it up to check on your movement question:  I move the right stick to look around.  The character will walk in the direction that I am looking at.  So if we're currently facing forward @ 1200.  I move the right stick to look to our right @ 300, and push up on the left stick (which runs) he will run toward 300. 
If I don't use the right stick, and I simply use the left stick to run in a circle, he will run in a circle right in front of me.

Edit:  I also checked the combat using the classic option.  Cloud will attack and evade automatically, using what the game thinks would be the best option.  That said, you can still control him at any time during the fight if you choose to do so, movement, type of attack, ATB gauge, etc.

2020-03-26 00:18:19 (edited by Garr 2020-03-26 00:26:32)

SLJ wrote:

@NortheasternGorilla and @Hanif:
Thanks for your awesome replies. I feel extremely motivated to give the game a try.
I wander if there is any feature build into the game which points the character to the next mission objective? @NortheasternGorilla can you possibly check the following:
How much will the game allow you to go in the wrong direction?
Regarding the movement: I'll just make sure you don't misunderstand my question. Let's say you look around by using the right analog stick. If you don't fully line up by looking strait and then use the left analog stick, is the character then walking in the exact direction you are moving the stick, or are the movements based on what direction the character is phasing?
How do you save the game, and if you have to find an object to save your game, does this object make any sound? It would be bad to keep playing for hours as a blind gamer, and then miss the save points because you can't hear them.
It's quite difficult to explain what makes a game playable. Maybe I should write a checklist for things to check.
Again, thanks for all the great things you are doing.

I got to play this before my sight became useless and only thing it had was exit indicators, that helped a lot for lower vision. there were also some required short mini-games that have to be done to go on.
IIRC timed exiting after first reactor, submarine chase, bike chase, gold saucer entry game (shooting), and skiing from icicle inn. I'm sure I missed some thing too.
Just remembered the swimming/surfing thing and the soldier march which was one of the hardest to stay in line and keep up.

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.

2020-03-26 00:37:52

hi Gorilla,

that’s pretty much the same for me, although I loved the game when I first played it, that was about 25 years or so ago now, so my memory is a little hazy about certain points of the game. I do remember a few epic battles in there though, so I’ll be looking forward to finding out when you get there which of the battles/monsters you are thinking of.

Paul

2020-03-26 09:18:44

@NortheasternGorilla: Thanks a ton for firing up the game to check the movement. Oh I thought the full version was released.
@@Garr: Thanks for your information as well.

Best regards SLJ.

2020-03-26 14:58:31

@1
Needless to say I'm very impressed.  You've earned a sub, keep up the great work.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2020-03-26 15:41:09

will this be out on the XBox?

PSN ID: AvidLitRPGer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvidLitRPGer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AvidLitRPGer
leave me a message saying how you found me.

2020-03-26 15:45:16

and what about pc?
thanks