2020-03-22 16:20:09 (edited by Mudb0y 2020-03-22 16:23:10)

Hi anyone.
As you may have seen, i was working on a manjaro based distribution with accessibility in it.
And, here's the first testing release!
Or actually, you can call it just whatever you like, because i actually used the stable branch of manjaro, but espeakup doesn't fully work with ncurses so that's why i am saying its kind of a testing image.
Anyways, here's the download link
https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjar … t/download
and here are a few tricks and tips you may find useful.
After starting the mahine from your installation media, you wil hear nothing.
Dont panic, its normal.
Press down arrow twice and then press enter to boot manjaro.
You wil stil hear nothing, so wait a minute and start typing root.
If espeak wil announce letters, this means yyou booted successfully.
So, type root, hit enter and type manjaro for a password.
Then, type in setup.
Since the installer is an ncurses based install, here are a few tricks for espeakup.
Do not use up and down, instid use numbers where available.
If you stil want to use arrows, you can memorise where something is by using capslock+o and u. Capslock+i is also useful when espeakup doesn't say a thing to repeat it.
If someone needs a recorded audio guide, ask and i wil try to do my best!
Hope you all enjoy.
And, dont forget to install boot loader, since this is not an automated installer!
I mean, when you doo a custom install.
But, i wont be talking any more!
Just grab the image and rock!
Check out the possibilities your self

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2020-03-23 04:11:21

Well stasp, just tested your linux in my vm.
You really need to get the startup of your vm working so we don't have to press all sorts to get working.
I waited for a couple minutes, hit down arrow twice, hit enter, then typed in my user and password you gave, then hit enter then typed in setup.
Bar a lot of beeping after a bit, not speech.
You should have the system beep once its ready to be used or is at the boot prompt.
Most oses have a prompt you either type a comand into like for example braille for displays, and or something but then if you hit enter you should autologin and speech should then start.
I can't even start this system.

2020-03-23 12:31:43

I guess that's because you are using vmware work station or some kiind of product from vmware, and they dont play nice some times with linux.
Try virtualbox instid, altho can't guarantee it wil totally work.
And another thing, i am gona build a mate live cd image, but you wil also have to use architect, but it wil be easier in a way because mate auto boots, unlike sstandard architect image.

2020-03-23 19:30:58

yep. it really sounds better than jennux already. lets stand on our heads, spin with said heads on the floor, put our keyboard on our ears, and try to fly with our arms flapping like mad people. oh finally got it to talk. that is grate! also, manjero already has a talking installer. just download the iso, boot it, and super alt s. boom.  so the next title i should make is of the official iso and your browsers will say this. Manjaro installer, a better alternative to Manjaro architect talking,  trying to be a Better alternative to jenux, but with acrobats (Page 1) — Off-topic room — AudioGames.net Forum - Brave

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

2020-03-23 22:00:35

Hmmm I have booted several desktop linuxes, and yeah while only ubuntu mate has worked and another gnome one access wize, all my arch distros have booted and all you have had to do is hit enter.
Vmware workstation is reasonably accessable becides I own a licence to workstation as I do a few other extras with it.
Is virtual box even that accessible.
In most arch installs you just hit enter and it will just do it.
Arch installs do boot after a time themselves to.
We shouldn't need to fiddle with menus before startup.
Also when does speech actually come on.
I know that there is sound in the vm as I have managed to get it to beep, so something is working.
Also usually they autologin.
I don't think you can blame the vmware software.
It even works in popos.
With the mate desktop boot, will it install a command line thingy to so I have espeak as well?
I actually wander if instead of using manjaro itself if you shouldn't just use a talkingarch iso and shove your stuff on top of it.

2020-03-23 22:11:55

VmWare is definitely more accessible thann Virtual Box.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-03-23 22:29:04

Both virtualization platforms are good. Both play very nicely with pretty much every Linux distro out there (I've yet to find a distro either doesn't like). You really need to learn how this all works man before you go building stuff out of it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-03-23 22:48:58

Huh what, Ernie? When did the Manjaro installer become accessible?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2020-03-24 03:45:08

last i tried it worked with just super alt s after letting it boot. I tryed it after the sonar distro  went down the toobs. If that is not the case any longer, i wasn't aware and sorry for the misinformation

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

2020-03-24 18:30:06

Calamares isn't accessible, but architect partially is.
You stil need to fiddle around, but you can get it done if you want.
And take note of the word partially.
I am just uploading a mate desktop image, with orca pre installed.
Make sure to press alt+f2 and type in orca -s to go in to orca preferences after boot, because i have yet to figure out short cuts and startup items in manjaro-tools, if you can even doo that there.
@ethin, i know that both can thread linux distros well, but some of them, including not so stable jenux, some times fail in booting, ETC.
And i am not blaming vmware for making a bad product, i really like theyr software, and i stil use it some times, for example in windows and MacOS, and even you can install work station in arch from AUR.
Also, did i ever sayd i am a linux master?
No
Did i ever sayd that anyone should use my distro, and only mine?
Not ither.
I know my distro isn't all that much stable, i'm not saying its made for beginners.
Some linux knowledge is required, but for these that have it, its pretty much allright, i guess.
I figuret out architect with a little help of the article i mentioned in my sourceforge page, and some yt videos.
Screenreader navigation had to learn on my own, and it isn't all that hard ither.
For example, language selectors and some screns with more options, can be a pain in the but, but it definitevly is dooable.
About calamares, couldn't qt-at-spi doo it?

2020-03-25 05:58:08

you did though, you said, a better alternitive to Jennux. so

2020-03-25 13:44:08

i sayd better alternative, i didn't say dont use jenux and use manjaro talking instid.
Manjaro talking wil surely be more stable on vm's, and on some other hard ware.
It is manjaro with accessibility and some addittional addons, so before blaming me that something like a driver doesn't work, ask on the manjaro forums.
I wil add some fixes, to make it as stable as possible, and proprietary drivers too, so for the closed source haters, dont use it.
For example there is some problem withmy broadcom wireles chip in manjaro, so i wil try to add some aditional packages and make it work.
And when you use architect, its your job to select your boot loader, to enable speech-dispatcher, to install orca ETC, and jenux just automates that.
Fortunately calamares wil mostly copy files from iso, so speech dispatcher should be on by defauld, ETC.
But i stil dont know if qt-at-spi wil fix calamares and other qt apps, we'l see i guess.
And there's also a problem with running apps as root beeing not accessible, dont know why.

2020-03-26 15:57:34

you don't know why root apps are not accessible? rofl. eazzy explanation

2020-03-26 18:33:24

I dont know why, on ubuntu, they are, and i ugess on debina though.
This is arch, so it behaves differently but stil

2020-03-28 15:26:01

orca can not interact with root apps because orca is running as user, not as sudo.

2020-03-29 22:11:28 (edited by serrebi 2020-03-29 22:15:28)

Voxin wouldn't install on this distribution. I installed the Mate image and loved the performance, but I wish I could use Voxin in it. A tip I recently figured out, if you can't use an distribution installer, a lot of the time you can get around this, and make the installer usable,  by going to preferences/personal/assistive technologies, and enabling it and then logging out and logging back in to the bootable USB. Also, I also should mention that you can run most root apps through sudo: You just have to use the -e flag. So sudo -e command and you will be able to use bleachbit , or whatever gui thing you want as the root account.