2011-04-14 08:25:15 (edited by Nocturnus 2011-04-14 08:34:47)

As I'm usually wandering the net in search of software that is both efficient and accessible, I figured I'd bring this topic to life so that we can discuss the ups and downs of  the use and preference of different software, why we use it, and why we don't use others.  Obviously, as we all know, there are different programs out there to accomplish the same tasks, some that home in on certain features that others lack, and since many many of these accessories exist, some a little more popular than others, there's nothing wrong with bringing the lurkers to the foreground for further annalysis and evaluation.  So, without any further blabber on my part, here's a list of software that I use to accomplish the tasks I generally tend to target in my computer life, and reasons why.

Foobar

As previously mentioned here, Foobar is a fairly flexible player that allows much control over your music from anywhere on your pc.  For those people who simply don't wish to touch their player's main window very often and don't mind tinkering around with preferences a bit, this program might just be for you.  worth mentioning is that this player is strictly meant to play audio files, so if you're looking to play videos through foobar, you will accomplish nothing and should probably have a coppy of winamp on your machine as well, unless you would rather watch with windows media player.

Free download manager

The name, in this case, won't tell you more than this, and most people would probably be turned off by now.  So what do I do?  I get it.  Before using this utility, I'd been running a program called "GetRight" for the price of $19, only to discover that everything I required from it was in this little bit of software I'd just downloaded.  It is a light-weight, powerful and easy-to-use application. Designed for downloading files and whole websites from any remote server via HTTP, HTTPS and FTP, it will allow you to avoid many of the problems related to downloading and enable you to resume broken downloads.  Though some servers do not allow for this feature to work properly, Free Download Manager will tip you off and give you a chance to decide if you wish to download the file or not.  You can organise files by type, and have them placed in predefined folders of your choosing, schedule downloads, set the priority of those downloads, etc.

ERUNT

Packaged with a software that allows you to optamise your registry, ERUNT is a powerful utility meant to back it up before any changes take place.  What I like most about it is that it elliminates the need for using restore points, giving you the chance to restore your registry to previous versions from outside windows, which is esentially all you need when restoring your system at all.  Say goodbye to all those files hogging up gigs of space on your harddrive and hello to being able to delete restore points independantly.  Turn off system restore; get ERUNT.

CCleaner

We all need to manage and maintain every aspect of our computer, and though no one software can do it all, CCleaner cleans house on a few in my opinion, enabling you to clean custom folders, old CHKDSK fragments, prefetch data, and internet history, all in one go.  In edition to this, its registry cleaner will search for obsolete entries that could be impairing your system's overall performance and get rid of them.  (Use ERUNT to avoid any problems this may cause.  Hope you read the above info, if not, now's a good time to do it.  Personally though, as of this writing, I haven't yet had to resort to that.)

MSE

Never did I think the day would come when Microsoft would bend over backwards to release a virus scanner that delivered good results.  I say good, because in the department of keeping your computer safe, there's always better than good.  This program does not allow for much customisation as others do, and there's no point denying it, MSE is still rough around the edges, but when looking for an accessible alternative with a nice interface that will protect you against most threats and will not overwhelm you with its many options, MSE is always nice to "set and forget" as the CNET community  says.  And that, my friends, is exactly why I have it.  MSE has faired well on many tests including AV-Test trial which gave it an overall good detection score of 98.44 percent against viruses, worms, and trojans.

Though there are many other categories of software out there, I'm going to leave this post here for now and see what kind of response it generates.  Those were the ones I needed to get out of the way, although a good defragging tool is missing from the list, so for software's sake, try MyDefrag which gets the job done nicely.

I've tested all of these on myself, so if anything should arise, feel free to ask questions and I will provide the best answers I can.

Hope this post wasn't too long, but if it was, I hope you all get something out of it.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-04-14 12:04:10

Interesting list There nocturnus, I'll have to give foobar a try myself just for sake of trying it if nothing else.

For all registry cleaning and restore duties as you know I use avg pc tuneup, who's performance I've found frankly amazing in terms of keeping your computer running smoothly, it also does things like disk defragging and even defragging the registry if you want. Also there is a duplicate file or junk file finder (the junk file one is particularly useful for getting rid of random things windows logs), It also has a couple of useful tools such as an optimizer to clear up connection problems (which more than trippled my upload speed), and some shreading and deleting tools as well as lots of ways of seeing what is going on on your machine at different points without having to resort to the standard windows methods like task manager.

One of my favourite for instance is the startup manager which does exactly what it says on the tin, and lets you see what your computer is doing at startup and enable, disable or delete various processes.

It will also schedule automatic scans of your C drive if you want too.

I used to use a number of programs like C cleaner, but interface wise they proved a pain, pluss I didn't like things like having to select specific files to delete or clean or specific catagories of things to manually go through, in fact the amount of time I spent manually going through different catagories and trying to clean them was ridiculous, then I had to use another program called registry cleaner specifically for that, which also didn't have the world's best interface.

I also use avg antivirus which as you said, is perfect for set and forget. Imho a good antivirus is like a good houseelf, best doing it's jobwhen never seen, and avg does this very well,  should there be an issue it seems to clear it up very quickly.

it also does different sorts of threats too like spyware and rootkits, and of course auto updates, where previously I had to use spybot search and destroy which was a pain to update, and even more of a pain to use.

Both avg programs have very handy interfaces, at least with hal, in fact I was first recommended avg as a good antivirus by dolphin, and then I tried tuneup which has a very similar interface.

There are very few controls it's just "do this" button.

I've not tried the free download manager, sinse mostly my connections are fast enough not to worry, but one program I use frequently is the sendspace wizard, which has a very handy interface complete with both useful hotkeys and an easy to navigate panel, and does much of what you mention the download manager does such as setting local files, kewing files etc, though it is sendspace specific.

One of my favourite features is the ability to upload files from the right click menue (otherwise known as applications menue), in windows explorer, thus it's very easy for me to instantly put something for upload without mucking about with the wizard, ---- very handy for keeping copies of my thesis backed up online in case my flat ever caught fire and my external hard drive and desktop both got destroyed.

The only bad point is obviously the sendspace wizard is sendspace specific, but generally I've never found downloading half as time consuming or necessary to have resuming of interupted transfers as uploading, ---- I suppose I'm just generally lucky with connection speed ;D.

Another of my absolute favourite programs is the litle free unzipping utility 7zip. At one point I actually bought and registered a program called turbo zip express, then it turned out everything that could do could be done quite far more efficiently by 7zip, and the same goes for winzip (which I've tried), and winra too.

Not only are it's compression wrates exceptional, but everything can be done from the right click menue in terms of compressing and uncompressing, including uncompressing to the unzipped folder, creating new folders, unzipping to a location etc.

It also supports all common compression formats including ra and zip, pluss it's own default 7z file format is amazingly compressed, ---- I've got an mp3 down a good 40 or 50 percent using 7z format.

it's also great at recombining files, and like all the best programs you never need to worry about the interface at all in fact I barely think I've actually ever run thr program itself sinse everything can be done in windows explorer.

you can also compress not only many files at once into one folder, but as many individual folders as you like too, which is very handy.

Oh, and it is also great about telling you if there is a broken file in a zip archive too with a very readable message box specifying exactly what file that is.

The last major program I use is cyberlink power dvd, which is a great dvd player with highly accessible options, and far better playback in terms of video and speaker support than windows media player by default. It also has a great timed resume feature, which means you can turn your computer completely off and stil come back exactly where you were, which is great when watching long series like babylon 5 or startrek. it also has some very nice shortcut keys too, inf act

Another favourite option of mine that is only possible with hal on my pc is manually setting the time skip amount, brilliant for not having to sit through theme tunes sinse you can automatically have the player skip that amount of time only by pressing pg down.

it's my main method of playing dvds.

The only bad news is that the version of the player I have is rather old, version 6 I believe, where they are currently on version 10.

I downloaded version 10 to try it out, but managed to put it into a mode called theatre mode where none of the controlls were visible with lables, and try as I might I couldn't get it out of this without uninstalling which managed to completely do in my 15 day demo of the program.

I thus have a nasty suspiciion that while version 6 is a great accessible dvd player with some really handy options, version 10 has gone the modern way of things and has a flashy and irritating interface of doom!

That's the major list of random software I use which is probably less usual, not counting standard stuff like winamp (which I'm stil a fan of), m irc, or skype.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-04-14 12:31:47 (edited by Nocturnus 2011-04-14 12:36:50)

Nothing wrong with MIrc, will probably give it a shot soon as I've heard lots of great things about it, though have chosen to stic to miranda for my messaging in the meantime.  It's nice to be able to have all things messaging in one program and not have to migrate to other programs just to keep up with two or more conversations.

There's a nice little bit of software called SkypeTalking that runs alongside skype and gives much info, including call status, file transfers, skype events such as mood changes and online statuses, and gives you the ability to use the skype program without having to touch the window very much, letting you accomplish things like placing calls and automatically conferencing someone when you are on call wwith someone else.

I use "Qwitter" for my twitter and a few other things.  The Qwitter development team have been at work for quite some time now, and though I'm not sure that i agree with the direction the program has taken, including such things as access to googleVoice, ability to search on bing, and a stopwatch, making it no longer just a tweeting application, I cannot deny that it is quite useful.

I still use 7z on my laptop which is currently running windows vista Home Premium, though cannot get it to integrate properly into my windows 7 computer's shell.  I'm not sure if this is a 64bit issue, or if its the entire Windows 7 Home Premium system altogether, though will make sure to let you all know once I've grabbed the 32bit version of this OS which I'm planning on doing sometime soon as this is not the only issue that has arisen.

On my computer is a link to a "cyberLink DVD suite" that I haven't clicked on or tried in any other way as I usually don't watch many movies or television shows in general, preferably sticking to reading books and listening to music more often than not.

I don't use sendspace anymore, preferably sticking to 4shared and dropbox which meet my needs, as I don't usually tend to upload immensely large files anyway.  I like being able to sync files across both my machines by using dropbox and being able to provide links to public files.  that last one is useful as I'm usually sending out downloads of things I've recorded for friends like game walkthroughs and speedruns and such.

Speaking of recording, I still love adobe audition, though audacity is not far behind.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2011-04-14 15:17:42

Nocturnus wrote:

I still use 7z on my laptop which is currently running windows vista Home Premium, though cannot get it to integrate properly into my windows 7 computer's
shell.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, and luckily 7-ZIP has successfully integrated into Windows Explorer's shell extension. Did you notice that z-ZIP has a specific installer for 64-bit version of Windows?

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-04-14 15:49:12

As a matter of fact, no, I didn't.  How dare I miss such things.  I'll need to go back and have a look-see at that.  Much appreciation for the tipoff.  I'lll have that up and running in no time, at least, until I go to 32bit.  As previously stated, I've encountered too many issues with 64, most annoying of these being that I can't install any Sapi voices and get them going.

Apparently, there's something that prevents the voices from being registered into the system, so when browsing through the list, all you get is MS Anna.

2011-04-14 17:02:24

Development of better standards causes the old one to lose ground. As a matter of fact, the x86 architecture gradually leaves her place to a newer one, that is called 'x64'.

It is essential that the software developers to keep pace with those standards, and create software accordingly. That goes for TTS developers as well. I didn't see or hear any TTS voice that has been specifically designed to work on 64-bit version of Windows. wink

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-04-14 17:46:41

Hi dark.
WHere can i find avg? And is it free?

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2011-04-14 18:43:17

Hi,
Nope--AVG is not free. My thing about C Cleaner, as well as other registry cleaners, is that I have found some that are--um---not cleaning your registry? I had a computer crash as a result of using one of those.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-04-15 02:54:31

The worst I've ever seen CCleaner do is disassociate file types in earlier versions, though this seem to have been corrected in the more recent ones.

I was always well aware that the world in general is not ready for 64bit operating systems, and perhaps won't be for a few years, but got this machine as a birthday gift and couldn't complain.  All who are computer literate know that the real difference between 32bit and 64bit is the amount of information it processes, and so, though theoretically speaking this should work better, the reality is that it doesn't, partly do to the fact that unless you have 64bit drivers for all of your machine's hardware, you will have malfunctional devices, IE, graphics card, sound card, hard drive etc, but also, because unless you are doing something like video editing and image processing, you are underutilizing your system and cannot experience its full funcionality

2011-04-15 14:12:34 (edited by Hayden 2011-04-15 14:13:01)

Hi,
Other problem with x64 is that, although 32-bit aplications are backwards compatible, 64-bit ones are certainly not.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-04-15 15:04:50

I've never feltthe the need to try and run a 64bit application on a 32bit operating system, though I can see the logic in why that just wouldn't work.

I actually encountered a fairly interesting problem yesterday.  I was trying to install Miranda on a friend's computer but couldn't get it to run because MSVCR71.dll wasn't present on the system.  Both of us are running windows 7 64bit OS's.  The interesting bit is that this file isn't present in my system32 directory, but miranda is running fine on my computer.

2011-04-15 17:33:16

Hi,
No, no...I didn't say I was going to find the 64 bit version of an aplication and try it on 1a32 bit OS. The point was that some aplications are simply not written for X86.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-04-15 18:26:56

Sorry, my mistake.  I need to get to sleep before i get myself into some serious trouble.  I've been arguing with machines for too long, almost two days straight.

Last night it was my friend's computer not wanting to run miranda, a couple of days ago I ran into a tight situation where all of my USB ports were being read as 1.1 or original USB as they are also like to be termed, even though minutes before there had been no problem and were running fine under 2.0 specifications as they should have been.  I got a message stating "This device can perform faster" when plugging in my external harddrive back into  my desktop computer.  I had unplugged it and plugged it into my laptop to transfer some files, then returned it to my desktop only to encounter that bit of nasty nonsense.  Luckily, I've fixed that issue, but it was quite a problem and took quite some time and dedication on my part. Though system restore would fix it temporarily, I would encounter it again if I repeated the same procedure, plugging my external into my laptop, transfering files, then back into my desktop. I guess for once, I'm glad I decided to keep system restore active on a machine rather than just using ERUNT or some other bit of software to back up the registry.

Enough rambling, I'm off to bed.  Perhaps I can find an answer to this mysterious dll file when I next wake.