2020-03-19 14:08:10

ok, so today I grabbd sun rise waterfall, and its cool, I know that's not the only thing neaded to make a website, but from what I understand, you nead only a vps, and a domane, you link the domain somehow with the vps, put the html files in the vps and you're set to go, is it really that easy or i'm too stupid
also, a bonis question, can I make pages in sunrise waterfall and put them in a wordpress site? if yes, how, thanks for your ansers

2020-03-19 16:21:34

No, it's not really that easy.  It's extra not really that easy if you're hoping to run your own WordPress.  You will need some Linux knowledge for starters.

The easiest path is to pick a static site generator: to name a couple, Nikola or Jekyll.  Then you just have to get as far as figuring out how to get your VPS to host static assets.  This will require learning to configure Apache or Nginx.

Unfortunately WordPress also requires running PHP and frankly it isn't as accessible as a static site generator when all is said and done, so if you really decide to go that route enjoy figuring out how to configure PHP and run your own database as well.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-03-19 16:31:06

no, is it all that hard if i use a hosteing servis and a paid VPS?

2020-03-19 17:16:15

Yes. It really is.  The paid VPS is just an empty box. It's up to you to decide what to put on it and to configure everything.  You aren't buying someone to manage it for you, just a computer that's on the internet the right way and always on.

If you want web hosting without all that and you're going to use wordpress, just go get one from wordpress.com

There are hosts that'll host files for you. I don't know much about them.  Use such things at your own risk, or find someone you know who uses one and is happy with it.

My Blog

2020-03-19 17:18:55

ok, thanks for not raging at my stupitity, but, meh, I liked that web maker, if only we can use it with wordpress

2020-03-19 17:26:28

You don't need to use it with Wordpress.  Wordpress is frankly terrible.  The backend isn't super accessible these days and you have to run PHP and a database, not just a web server.

Look at Jekyll or Nikola.  You give them markdown. They give you an entire site, side menus and everything.  Then you just need to get as far as being able to copy the files somewhere and you're done.  It will require either finding the right kind of host or figuring out Nginx or something, but you don't have to fiddle with the 2 or 3 other things Wordpress needs.  THe only thing you won't have is comments, but there's ways to get that later if you really want it.

My Blog

2020-03-19 17:32:41

god damn it! that's tooo hard! but, how is everyone is geting there own websites with out all of this blaw, I mean everyone,

2020-03-19 18:25:06

They're not. Companies and businesses pay someone for it.  Everyone else either goes and pays wordpress.com or something whatever dollars per month to run and manage it for them, then uses the visual editors provided by whoever they picked.

Programmers with money use a cloud storage offering.  Programmers with projects use GitHub pages.  It's not overly hard, objectively, to configure Nginx to serve a directory of files--but it does require technical knowledge that you may or may not have.

It's only blind people operating on a shoestring budget that makes this difficult.  If you can throw say $50 a month at the problem, and you're sighted and thus able to efficiently use the backend editors, you just throw a bit of money at it, grab that mouse, and start dragging things around or whatever.

My site is Nikola, Nginx, and a VPS from Digital Ocean.  Deploying is just running rsync.  Lets Encrypt for SSL, Iwantmyname for DNS, GSuite for mail.  A firewall on the Digital Ocean side to lock down SSH access (I got dragged into a botnet--that was a quick lesson in security).  If this sounds like a lot of pieces, it is.  But if you want to run it yourself, or do it as cheaply as possible, that's what you've got to do.  WordPress additionally adds PHP and MySQL to that mix plus making sure to keep everything up to date since WordPress gets major security vulnerabilities all the time and keeps updating to fix them, which is honestly as hard as or even harder than the rest of it.

My Blog

2020-03-19 18:31:04

Well, let's put it like this. Every ideot can write down a simple HTML document, upload it somewhere and call it a website.
But when it comes to PHP introduction, SQL databases and designs, this is where it gets difficult, guess what, web designer is a well payed job.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-03-19 18:35:29

@8 good job at explaning how bad word press is, I would use a static site generator at this point because making my own with my own source code is not verry easy at all.

2020-03-19 18:45:39

well, thanks for making it eavin mor hard to me smile I mean ansering me, well, I saw today, that 00webhoste allow's you to upload your owen index file, will that do what I nead,

2020-03-19 18:47:13

Hi there,
@1: well, setting a webpage can be as easy as copying one file, and as hard as developing a whole framework. It really depends on what you want to do.
There are two possibilities for getting started, you either get a hosting or a vps.
The first option is perhaps the easiest, as your hosting provider will set up ftp space, php and sql databases for you and all you really need to do is to copy your php scripts there, or install a redaction system like Wordpress. That is as easy as copying it there, setting your database password in configuration and visiting your webpage.
You can then use Wordpress tools to write pages in html, or using their new Gutemberg editor, although I have no idea how accessible it is, I like the html way personally.

The second option, vps, is somewhat harder, but should be doable as well. I am not expert in setting up Linux servers, so I hope more experienced people will correct me if I'm wrong, but infact all you need to do is to install a lamp configuration - Linux, Apache, Mysql and Php. There are preconfigured packages to do this, although I don't know if they're suitable just for development or for production as well, that might be worth checking before you open your server to public. After you're done with this, you'll have a structure similar to that of webhosting, with one directory for php files, some databases running and also ftp access, if you need it.
Note that just to make a simple webpage, you don't need vps. Infact you don't need vps even for more complex things, as long as you're satisfied with php, html and css.
You need vps only in case that:
* You want to use some other language, such as python or C#
* You need to run a dynamic server, like that of Stw, accepting connections from your applications
* You want to perform more complex computations, such as converting audio or video files, training neural networks, etc.

That's it. It's not hard, if you select the right services for right things.

Best regards

Rastislav

2020-03-19 19:17:55

Just use blogger from google to get started with building a website.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @thecoolgamer4 and subscribe to my Youtube channel

2020-03-19 19:26:24

no, I faver wordpress on blogspot, blogspot is the worst thing out here in my apinnion

2020-03-19 19:31:25

@12
Setting up a LAMP stack is not one package.  It's 3, and you need to configure all of them plus keep them all up to date plus figure out backups.

My Blog

2020-03-19 19:45:51

You are not very clear about what kind of site you are after. Do you want to create a blog? A portfolio site? Or is it something more complex? Static websites are already mentioned above, and you can just get started on Github Pages for free. There are many projects that you can just fork on Github and your initial site will be up and running within minutes. You can then purchase a domain name and use that instead of the sitename.github.io that you get for free.

I've used a Jekyll theme with great features called Minimal Mistakes, you can find it here: https://mmistakes.github.io/minimal-mistakes/

Host of Sightless Fun, podcast about visual accessibility in modern Board Games.

Follow on Twitter

2020-03-19 19:56:16

I want a site that I can upload my creations in it, i'm codeing games, I also love making audio, only that, and some text

2020-03-19 21:14:52

@15: that doesn't necessarily need to be the case. Yes, if you install all of them manually, that goes for 3 packages, but there are projects like Xampp:
https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html
which contains all three of them in a preconfigured set. Xampp is just for development and misses some security measures, so it shouldn't be used in production, but I can imagine a package like Xampp with secure configuration, ready to launch on one button press. Or better said two buttons - one for apache and the second for mysql. smile
Whether a package like that exists I don't know, as I never needed to use vps for this purpose.

Best regards

Rastislav

2020-03-19 22:26:17

Or you could look at this topic and make a site for free on GitHub Pages.

https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/3292 … th-github/

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-03-19 22:28:34

@18
If you want truly button-free prod-ready configuration you have to go Heroku or something like it.  It's not possible for you to get single-button configuration for this going because you have to handle SSL and backups properly at minimum.

For development Docker images are a dime a dozen.  Prod is a different story. There is a reason I'm advising against it for what amounts to a blog.

My Blog

2020-03-20 00:39:50

Its actually not that bad.
You will need a hosting previder that will host a site.
You shouldn't use a plain vps for this you want a site.
A lot of sites have 1 click installers for this.
Ok, as long as you have c panel then you should be ok.
However apart from this your webhost should support php 7.1 or higher 7.2 is recommended and 7.4 is the latest.
You will need mysql there to.
Anyway your webhost should have these installed.
You will need a database entry for that wordpress site.
You need to edit wp-config.php, put that stuff in there and then you can just upload the wordpress stuff via ftp to your site and it will run.
You need to run wp-install.php from wp-admin and then its easy.
However you do then need to secure it and add plugins and the like.
If you don't know what to do really you should start with wordpress.com, I use m.wordpress.com to write my blog posts though.
Wordpress is quite accessible I should know because I am on the wordpress testing team though havn't had much work for a while.
Gutenburg has been a sore point for the accessibility team though.
We had to fight to get its writers not to publish it in the first place.
Its supposed to be a lot better but classic editor is still a prefered option for me.
However for those that don't mind it and its block interface and some of the users do, like liam erven then its ok.
I personally never got the hang of it and I am a tester.
But yeah wordpress has had a few issues and does have some issues of late.

2020-03-20 01:24:25 (edited by Chris 2020-03-20 01:28:29)

If you're just getting started, you may want to go with a hosting company. I can't speak to any of them as I've written my websites by hand and host them on a Linux VPS. From what I know, most of the website builders aren't accessible for someone who is blind, and I don't care about or want Wordpress. I don't want to write blogs, and that's what that platform is mainly used for as far as I can tell. I only know how to create rather basic HTML pages, so all I use is Apache and PHP for a basic contact form script someone gave me. You'll need to know PHP, CSS, and how to work with MySQL if you want to make anything more complex than a static website and make it look visually appealing. If you go with a VPS, you will also need to learn a little about Linux, but there are tons of resources on the Internet that can help.

I only know basic HTML and don't really care to know more. PHP makes my head hurt, and I don't have a need for databases. Still, I like my setup because I can host files and link to them from the webpage. I don't know about any of these free website options, but they probably restrict the amount of data you can host.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-03-21 19:17:52 (edited by rayshow 2020-03-21 20:27:53)

Making websites is a really easy nowadays. There are many free website builders available on the web. Personally, I recommend  Wix, Weebly or SquareSpace. But if you are taking your future website seriously, be sure to run proper seo work on it. Also it's very important to find a reliable hosting provider. I like how my website functions on Java Web Host .

2020-03-22 10:39:12

Honestly, if your great at linux and you know a lot about how to setup apache or whatever with .php and mysql, you'll be just fine. I've setup a few servers from scratch on a couple of virtual private servers before and It's gone well. And wordpress? What's not accessable about it?

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2020-03-26 17:16:43

If you're new to this, you can create a free website with Blogger or WordPress. You can't upload files to your website, but it still works. I use a web hosting service for my own site and I am very satisfied.