2011-04-11 17:46:41

Hi,

What are the differences between a laptop and a netbook? I'm looking for a laptop, but I'm thinking of going with a netbook cause it's probably cheaper. I know the netbook doesn't have a CD drive, but is there anything else that makes it different?

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-04-11 19:18:48

The netbooks tend to have slower processors and less powerful (or non existant) 3d graphics cards.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-04-11 22:52:32

It's the lack of processer speed and ram (not to mention cddrive), that has always put me off, also the fact that the netbook's main advantage, portability isn't really a concern for me, sinse I'm quite used to carrying a laptop around on my back having done it for about 15 years, and also to whipping it out at odd moments such as on station platforms.

Even in Egypt I sat on a cruse boat going up the nile playing tarzan Jr and reading a starwars novel all from my laptop ;D.

the only thing which for me a netbook would have overa laptop would be battery life, sinse netbooks tend to have far more long lasting batteries.

my old laptop was great, sinse I had two batteries which I could quickly change as needed, each f which had over three hours.

My new one however has only one battery which last only about two and a quarter, ---- I must see if I can remedy this at some point.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-04-12 02:01:50

Hmm, even laptop bttery life in the value and ultraportables (those that are still laptops but not quite netbooks) are getting better. I once saw a lenovo ultraportable with 9 hr of battery life in real world tests. On ehting that I hate is the ultracramped keyboard. And while they're whittling the sides down, the touch pad is whole lot closer to my wrist which causes me to tap it with my wrist more often and send the mouse scurrying off into inopportune places. And the disable touchpad key combo is different for every model making it harder. I'd go with a laptop any day, even if the price was higher, just because of the better power and keyboard.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-04-12 02:51:09

Now here is a silly question... Dark, do you turn off your laptop's screen to extend its battery life?  I imagine that would make a Huge difference.  On my laptop I can add about a half hour worth of battery life simply by lowering the brightness of my screen.  Switching it completely off should have a power saving effect many times greater.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-04-12 04:16:20

For some reason, I don't seem to be able to turn the screen completely off, or at least I've not found an option for it at all otherwise I would do that.

While on my desktop I certainly do use my rathr large monitor (actually a flatscreen tv), occasionally for watching dvds or playing graphical games, this isn't a concern on my laptop.

Oh and agreed keyisfull, I don't think those netbook keyboards were really made with touch typing in mind.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-04-12 06:03:55

I do agree about the screen thing. If I could,I'd turn it off. Now that I have been reading this,am off to turn the brightness of my screen down a little....

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, β€˜It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2011-04-13 10:56:27

Also bear in mind that *some* netbooks use an SSD in place of a hard drive, but then they're starting to creep into ultra portable laptops too. These use less power and have faster seek times by far, that means it starts reading information almost right away without the need to find the right spot like a hard drive does, at the cost of capacity and write speed. Battery life shouldn't be hugely better than a standard laptop unless it's of the "desktop replacement" juggernaut type.

I'd say netbooks or an iPad make an excellent inexpensive alternative to a note taker, but aren't quite comparable to a conventional laptop. You could probably get away with word processing and odds and ends like that on a netbook, but anything that takes serious power will be hard and it might not be as responsive as a full laptop. Remember that sighted users don't have the extra processing overheads of a screen reader, and they are the people technology specs are chosen for.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-04-13 14:09:47

I've certainly heard that some of the more high process games like entombed can run slighly slowly on netbooks, which ight be a consideration if your also looking for a portable games device.

2011-04-13 14:16:30

Yeah, that's why I want the laptop, because it's portable. And I want to play my games sitting on the couch, not in this chair all day. lol
Thanks for all the responses guys. Appreciate it.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-04-13 21:10:25

If it's just about where you play games or sit while using the computer, you might try a wireless keyboard.

Right now, I'm lying full length on my settae about six feet away from my computer listening to Hal through my speakers typing on my wireless keyboard. I can even play games over here lying down sinse my headphones have a long cable, or write my thesis.

should I decide to go and get some coffee in my kitchin, I can even take my keyboard with me.

Some models are better than others, but a good bog standard one is as responsive as any other keyboard, but has the advantage of letting you be anywhere you wish to be within range of your pc, ---- and the range is pretty good, at least 12 feet or so.

If (as i probably will in summer), I decide to go out on to the balcony to use my computer, play games or whatever, I'll take my laptop as I will tomorrow when i have a long train journey, but for just mobility inside my flat and being able to sit (or at this moment Lie on my back), where I like while on the computer my wireless keyboard does very well.

Btw, this is actually one of the few advantages of having a screen reader. I can write my thesis, use the net, play games etc without looking at the screen at all, thus do not even need to face the tv, let alone sit anywhere.

in fact, I only turn my monitor on if I am doing something which requires me to look at it such as watching dvds or playing graphical games.