2020-03-16 04:37:50

Hey, i lost any sources or bgt includes that i ever had recently when my hardrive crashed, except for what was in my dropbox, so i was curious if anyone here could provide a good updater for bgt. I'm not looking for those fancy dialog updaters or anything like that, just the simple updater that says that a new version is available, and lets you download it. Thanks for anyone who can help. And for anyone curious whyi don't use the built-in one, for someone it along with teh sounds updater constantly say that there are updates available even when there are none, and it makes the game unplayable.

2020-03-16 05:32:48

well, maybe if you didn't make that redspot clone I might be inclined to chuck you a dll and a rapper but mm. seems a little bit overkill blocking someone on skype after banning  them from a game you don't even own just because you have admin, don't ya thinnk? mmm.

2020-03-16 06:46:36 (edited by Lucas1 2020-03-16 06:46:47)

A DLL and a rapper? Heh. There are much simpler ways to solve a simple problem.

2020-03-16 09:01:04 (edited by ivan_soto 2020-03-16 09:01:59)

For someone who always talks and rants about how people make too many clones, you clearly have a chip on your shoulder that you are banned from a game that you can't access.
I would help you out but you talk about my sounds updater that you probably got from TK so...meh.
Once you realize that clones aren't the way to do things, you'll realize that things are more eaiser when you code them yourself than stealing code and trying to figure out how it all works.

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2020-03-16 15:21:00

I won't code it for you, but I'll tell you how to roll your own:
1. use http object to read a version file and compare it with your version.
2. if the version is not the same (greater), show a dialog to user and ask him to update.
also when you provide your update, make sure to update the version number as well.

2020-03-16 15:53:05

in bgt includes, collected by carter temm, we can see updater.bgt, and it is as follows:
/*
Auto updater
**Initialisation**
First, include the file:
#include "updater.bgt"
Or a full path:
#include "path/to/updater.bgt"
Somewhere at the top of your game, initialise the object:
updater update(string URL, bool autorun=true, string directory="");
set autorun to false only if you specify a directory for the setup to go into. Otherwise, terrible things may happen to the users filesystem.
**Functions**
updater::download()
A string function returning an absolute path if the download was successful. If autorun is set to true which is default, it will proceed to call run(). Otherwise, will pop up a dialog telling the user where the file is saved.
updater::run_exe(string filename)
A function that returns nothing and will run the specifyed setup file, usually called automatically by the download() function. This can be used, for example, to run the setup later from within a games menu.
**Note**
I have not included a check function. This is because many people use different versions of an update check. Some will use floating points, some will use version files, some will just make the file download without checking. It is up to you, the programmer, to code a check function. This is just a wrapper to make some menial tasks easyer. Enjoy!
*/

//Create an HTTP object to handle download requests:
http downloads;
//Create the class its self:
class updater
{
//Declare variables:
bool autorun;
string url;
string directory;
string filename;
//Constructor -- empty, returns an error:
updater()
{
alert("Error", "This class has been initialised without proper values. Exiting program...");
exit();
//Note: Remove this line if you want your code to continue with the error.
}
//Constructor -- with parems, does stuff:
updater(string url, bool autorun=true, string directory="")
{
this.url=url;
this.autorun=autorun;
this.directory=directory;
//Note: Do not set the .filename property. This is internal and should not be used externally!
}

string download()
{
string data = downloads.get(this.url);
if(get_last_error() != 0)
{
alert("Oops", "Something has gone wrong. Contact the developer!");
return data;
}
else
{
while(downloads.progress)
{
data+=downloads.request();
wait(5);
}
if(this.directory != "")
{
this.filename = this.directory+"setup.exe";
}
else
{
this.filename = "c:/tmp/setup.exe";
}
file f;
f.open(this.filename, "wb");
f.write(data);
f.close();
if(this.autorun)
{
alert("Running executeable", "Now running setup program. This program will exit when OK is clicked.");
this.run_exe(this.filename);
exit();
}
else
{
alert("Setup file", "The setup file is located in "+this.filename+".");
}
return this.filename;
}
}

void run_exe(string filename)
{
run(filename, "", false, false);
}
}

2020-03-16 19:25:02

+1 for @ 4, you sed anything neads to be sed, I just want to know what cloners feal when they're doing that, I dont know what's the fealling when you release something that's not your own, and you know that other's know its not your own, and you also ask for help with adding some useless lines for it?
non functionel minds, enough sed

2020-03-16 20:25:05

Rory, check your pings.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-03-18 23:17:47

And this is one reason why you can't ask things on AudioGames.net these days, without your past being brought up a couple posts later.

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2020-03-19 07:05:34

I agree 100%.

2020-03-19 08:12:05

Uh bro, post 2... you started that. So I don't know what you're agreeing on here but you were the one who was getting winy about getting banned from a clone even though you always talk a huge deal about not playing them.

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2020-03-19 18:37:47 (edited by George_Gaylord 2020-03-19 18:53:39)

Sometimes I question Rory. Like really question Rory
In one topic you write this beautiful post  about how cloning is bad, and how its bad for the developers and we should all sing koom baya, then the next day a dude asks for help then you go on about how he banned you from a game that wasn't his, even though you've said on multiple occasion that you won't play clones. I get it. We've nothing really to play online if you want to fight each other, but saying you're gonna stop cloning then the next day saying how you're so angry that constant Battle has loads of lag, or how TTSG banned you from his clone is less respectable than just outright saying you play clones.
You don't owe anyone in this community an explanation of you're personal life. Its up to you whether or not you do the ethical thing or not. And by you attempting to prove to this coommunity that you're something you're not is a really, really bad thing.
also, as Ivan said, you started the shit fest attacking TTSG for banning you from a clone, even though you repeatedly said you'd stop playing clones.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-03-24 15:42:14

some times i question a lot of people... why not just help out the people and give them what they ask for? if you don't want to give them what they want, don't reply. simple right? or is the urge to leave shitty comments to hard to resist?
All i can say is that there is not a updater for BGT already made. well i think there are a few updaters, but it is in the repositry of cartertemm on github. I have not used any of them, since i had my own updater class. You should have a version number in your game, then a nother version number on a server.then you should compare the 2 numbers, and if the number on the server is greater than the number of the game, prompt the user with a dialog asking whether he or she want's to update or not. if the user clicks yes or the response is yes, then proseed to downloading the file. if the user says no or the response is no, simply go to the game or main menu function... let me know if there is some thing you don't understand and i will try to help.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.