2020-03-11 18:06:07

No, I am not one of the end-of-the-world activists. I believe that that people will put an end to their race and they do not need Covid for that.
Today I wasin Cracow, one of the biggest city in Poland. Streeds were almost empty, and queues in the shops were extremely huge, like some of us had to stand outside. Today our government decided to lock down schools, universities, cinemas and other cultural objects. I think that is a very good decision, as there will not be that many infected (28) in time of wrtiting this posts. How is the situation in your countries?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2020-03-11 18:07:51

Hi.

They've not locked down stuff in the UK yet, apart from some schools; but I think it's going to happen soon.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-03-11 18:11:03

Most people who aren't elderly or immune-suppressed will probably be okay, but it is serious to vulnerable populations. The main concern is that its not fully understood and a vaccine can't be used to slow down its transmission.

I am, however, furious at how the United States health system is dealing with it... I wrote about it here (https://labadore64.com/2020/03/11/Coronavirus.html) I don't want to copy the whole thing and spam the topic with it. God I am so pissed though.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2020-03-11 18:19:27

I am someone who has a suppressed immune system because of a kidney transplant, and I wish people would please stay home. I live in the united States, and the Government isn’t doing a great job, I think it will improve as time goes on.  The main thing I wish people would remember is, while you might be healthy and able to fight it off, those people around you might not, so if you are sick, stay home.

2020-03-11 18:22:46

I doubt the UK will end up like Italy as far as lockdowns go. It's spreading aster across the US than the UK, and sweeping across Continental Europe however. I find it baffling Merkel is, in Germany where media reports state she said up to 70% of people there could contract the virus, that she will not restrict movement or close borders because 'it is a test of our solidarity'

It makes more sense to me to contain the virus to one area, and close off borders, and do what France and the Berlin city council has done, rather than leave the borders open and unrestricted movement however.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2020-03-11 18:26:40

Here in my county they have declared a state of emergency that is effective until April 9th. There is also a ban on large gatherings in effect as of the beginning of the week in an effort to limit the spread. For the record, I am writing from within the states.

2020-03-11 18:29:18

Here in Italy it's really sad.
All the roads have became desolated.
I'm pissed from people who fear the virus and run back to their areas to visit their parents.
A verry good way to diffuse the virus around.

Paul

2020-03-11 18:30:45

swigjr23 wrote:

I am someone who has a suppressed immune system because of a kidney transplant, and I wish people would please stay home. I live in the united States, and the Government isn’t doing a great job, I think it will improve as time goes on.  The main thing I wish people would remember is, while you might be healthy and able to fight it off, those people around you might not, so if you are sick, stay home.

I need to stress this hard core, and fight your damn employer if they fight you with this. They are literally putting people's lives at risk. Fuck your employer honestly

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2020-03-11 18:39:57

@7 i am sorry to hear your situation, hope that virus will go soon.
well in georgia schools has been locked before 1st april, also everything like concerts and stuff like that has been stopped.

Yours kindly

2020-03-11 18:43:00 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2020-03-11 18:47:11)

I read an article last night about a bunch of college kids who were taking advantage of all the cheap plain tickets due to all of the flight cancellations. On the one hand I agree with their way of thinking, but on the other hand we need to think about the vulnerable as well. Indeed I was furious for being chewed out from going to service on sunday, but I've had some time to reflect on the developing situation and can see the reasoning and agree.

2020-03-11 18:43:19

Ok, we all just need to chill. Is there cause for concern with in reason, yes. Is there cause for the panic we're seeing, nope.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2020-03-11 18:49:25

I dont think anyone here has expressed feelings of panic @11

2020-03-11 19:02:35

@5
The thing about closing borders and lockdowns is that if everyone closes their borders as fast as possible, the world is going to go into a serious recession at best, a full-on depression at worst.  Countries have no choice but to wait until the last minute to do it.  And though people don't really like to think of it as such, full-on recession and/or depression also kills people.

@11
If you mean panic as in Italy, that's 100% justified.  Pandemics are exponential if not checked.  Say what you want about China (and I certainly could say a lot), but China having only 100000 people infected was a miracle as far as these things go.

The coronavirus in the U.S. seems to be doubling every 4 days or so based off my unscientific following of the news.  That means that with current policy, the U.S. will have 128000 cases by the end of April.  I haven't yet seen a good number w.r.t. the actual transmission rates; I don't think anyone has one yet.

But by the time you're Italy at 10000 cases, panic is definitely warranted from a governmental perspective.

We aren't even close to i.e. the Spanish Flu.  It's not world-ending or even close.  But no one is overreacting at the governmental level.  But I do think individuals are, at least in the U.S., where freaking out about it is premature for the time being (but ask me again in 2 weeks, as we continue to mismanage all of this, and I will likely have a different opinion).

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-03-11 19:07:16

I'm in the US and colleges are switching to online. I think my university will any day now. All my classes started this week about how classes would continue if we went online.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-03-11 19:42:07

I can agree with @13 that the government itself isn't displaying exponential levels of panic, but most individuals absolutely are. This is why I get more and more pissed off by the day. I live with people who legitimately believe that this virus is bio warfare, that 60% of the world's population is going to be dead within the next three months, and other wild conspiracy theories. Hell, there was even a discussion in my household about how this is no different than how AIDS was manufactured in a lab to wipe out gay people. I 1000% do not condone these views, and was horrified that people actually think such things, though given the source, I guess I shouldn't have been shocked.

So you know what? Until I see thousands of bodies stacked up in the streets, literally no access to food/meds/essentials, and complete economic devastation, I'm going to continue on with my regular routine, thank you very much. Now, don't get me wrong here, if I was sick, I would stay home, but that's just common sense. Or, it would be, if this country's employers actually gave a damn about their workers. Fortunately, I am in a position where I'm not employed, so I don't have to worry about that, but I agree that it's bad for people who have no choice but to risk infecting others to continue earning their living.

Also, odds are that, if you do get sick, you're going to have a normal, run of the mill case of the flu anyway, or a cold. Not fun things to be sure, but guess what? You should try not to spread any kind of bug around at all! Does it really take the threat of a pandemic to remind people to wash their hands, and to cover their mouths when they cough? If so, that's just stupid, those are things you should be doing all the time, and I can't believe I actually had to write that sentence. Perhaps all the journalists who keep having to say it feel the same way, at least I hope so.

A couple of you mentioned following the news to track the spread of the virus. Bad idea; the media is having a fucking field day with this, as they usually do. A lot of the blame for individual panic being as high as it is falls squarely on their shoulders. I'm not saying that you shouldn't stay informed, but at least vet your sources, and don't anxiously wait for 5 o'clock to roll around so you can suck up the day's doom and gloom like some kind of misery junkie. And, don't forget that this is an election year in the US, so all the reporting on this issue should definitely be viewed through that lens.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-03-11 19:46:16 (edited by Dakonna 2020-03-11 19:49:35)

Here in Austria, we have pretty much closed our Italy border, yesterday universities were closed, and all cultural events and other gatherings with 100 people or more present were canceled. Today, they closed all the high schools. They're talking about online work assignments for high schoolers but it seems like nobody has a clue how to manage it. It'll probably be left up to the individual schools. Frankly I think the media circus, at least for Austria, is very overdone. We have about 200 cases out of 8.5 million people, and most of those are restricted to Vienna. It's just a shame that so many people use statistics and quick calculations to monger unwarranted fear. But hey, I get 3 weeks off, not complaining about that.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-03-11 19:56:31

Well my school just switched to online classes starting Monday. I saw it coming but didn't think it would actually happen.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-03-11 19:57:59

Concern? Yes. Panic? No. The global number of confirmed cases is slightly above 100000, and according to some news I read from multiple credible sources, 50000 or so have recovered fully. Here in Canada, Ontario has about 14 cases, and BC has another 26 or so confirmed. Out of 35000000!

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-03-11 20:00:02 (edited by omer 2020-03-11 20:03:23)

i'M living in turkey and i believe the government  did their best to keep the country as clean as possible
considering how our naigbours are efected, especially iran, i believe they sort of did well
the first infected news introduced yesturday, a male person seem to got the virus from an international trip.
there is currontly no lockdown or any worse scenereos exists here, though the people are on guard
i seen people running around with masks today lol
honestly if only the sic wears masks, we dont need to get that worried
the sad thing is in here, some jerk deecided to benifede from the curont situation so the costs of mask and anti septic material just skyrocketed in a day
edit
btw instead of worrieing about corona virus, we have more stuff to be scared first
the unstopable fires on amazons, global warming  or constant climat changes

2020-03-11 20:02:02 (edited by Ethin 2020-03-11 20:04:35)

@15, yeah, agreed. The news is just blowing this entire situation way, way out of proportion. It just goes to show how unbalanced the ratio of sheep vs. intelligent people actually is. Bio warfare? Seriously? Disease manufacturing? Are there even proven scientific methods on how to create diseases that actually live like a normal virus does? I mean, we haven't even figured out how to induce life in things, so how the hell could we possibly manufacture a disease for bio warfare? What would be the point of bio warfare anyway if there's over an 80 percent chance the creators would be destroyed by their own creation, especially if its transmitted through air?
I actually heard a story that some Asian woman was on a plain. She coughed and they supposedly put her in a choke hold until she passed out, then moved her body to the back to try and prevent the virus from spreading. I have no doubt that that's an premeditated assault charge right there, if it really did happen, and if it did, I hope the airline gets sued up their ass for it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-03-11 20:06:27

I'm not really sure. It seams as though they won't close schools in this part of Germany where I am, but the cases are definitely still rising. Like others have said, there's not really need for panic. Sure we should be concerned and careful though

---------------
There will come nothing, for there was nothing.

2020-03-11 20:15:24

They've not locked down stuff in the UK ,
accept some schools.   
but it mite happen soon as it looks like

2020-03-11 20:16:19

@20, I know, right? This is what happens when you believe third hand accounts of dodgy Youtube videos. I keep trying to tell them to pull their heads out of their asses, but I guess you can't reason with stubborn people. I inherited that trait from them, though, so I'll keep trying, even though it's probably hopeless lol.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-03-11 20:22:28

fuck media btw worthless shit

2020-03-11 20:25:03

@23, yep. I'm quite sad the world isn't full of more intelligent people -- people who, yihno, can actually think for themselves and don't need a youtuber (who probably doesn't know anything about coronavirus anyway) to think for them. And I hate this "plague" angle too. Corona is not a plague. Not by a long shot.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github