2020-03-11 01:30:04 (edited by PitchBlack 2020-03-11 01:44:19)

From the developers of Pitch Black: A Dusklight Story, we present Audio Pong!

Take on eccentric opponents in nine different arenas and battle your way to the top of the Pitch Black: Audio Pong championships. Use your ears to win the title and rip through our exotic stages and arenas. Audio Pong uses binaural audio to accurately spatialise and recreate your favorite classic arcade game.  Pitch Black: Audio Pong has been built to be entirely accessible for visually impaired gamers. This audio game features fully voice acted characters, created soundscapes, fully interactive game areas, incredibly diverse sound design, an innovative audio only menu system and a featured playlist of our own classic arcade soundtracks.

Brought to you by Purple Jam Ltd, Audio Pong is the first in a series of Audio Games that focus on innovative audio mechanics. Through using binaural audio, Purple Jam Ltd intend to create a diverse list of Audio Game milestones, ranging from arcade games inspired by the classics to completely original audio innovations. Purple Jam Ltd aims to deliver new and exciting audio only games to expand on recent binaural application within the gaming industry, so keep up to date with our latest releases to see what cool and exciting games were developing next!

Trailer - https://youtu.be/B7N_0mPDJ5s

Available on all platforms!

iOS: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/pitch-bla … 1502114873

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … kAudioPong

Windows (64bit): https://www.purplejamaudio.com/product- … ows-64-bit

Mac OS X: https://www.purplejamaudio.com/product- … g-mac-os-x

We hope you enjoy.. AUDIO PONG!!

2020-03-11 02:24:56

I am spreading the joy of this game, everywhere!

Thanks for creating this!

2020-03-11 03:02:49

Thank you thank you thank you thank you! I normally don’t like sports games, but this, is! Fabulous! You did great on the sound is on! You did great on the music! You did great on the binaural sound! No, the voice acting. It could be worked on, but other than that, one of the best Audiogames in my opinion I’ve played.

2020-03-11 07:14:41

So pleased you're enjoying it Erick! We definitely went on the silly side with some of the VA on this one.

2020-03-11 08:59:11

wow sounds cool!

2020-03-11 09:00:40 (edited by Dark 2020-03-11 09:01:49)

Hi.

Congrats for getting a game finished, I look forward to trying it.
I'm afraid I don't seem to be able to get your store to work on windows.
I added the game to the cart and tabbed to the shop page, however the checkout didn't display properly on the main page, I could tab between buttons and options, but I couldn't actually see the messages displayed on the main page (I think the site has some random tabs which my screen reader isn't getting to).
Nevertheless I selected paypal and attempted to add my address information etc, however once I clicked place order I don't know what happened, I was back on the page with two buttons labeled "place order" and "edit payment" but no way of reading messages or knowing what if anything was wrong with the information I added (though why I need to add my address and phone number for a paypal purchase I'm not sure).

now when I go to the site I can't even find the checkout button to see if there is a problem with the order, just the "close cart wigit" link, and then the main site advertising the game.
I'm using chrome and NVDA.

Any advice much appreciated, and I look forward to trying the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-11 09:15:41

I'm experiencing the same issues as Dark when attempting to purchase the Mac version.

2020-03-11 09:44:35

It's the same for me.

2020-03-11 09:47:45

I eventually worked out how to purchase the game. However, when I click on the link contained in the email I received, the Windows version is downloaded instead. I have emaiiled for assistance, quoting my order number.

2020-03-11 09:57:45

Hi.
Wow. I look forward to check this out. I've just bought it for IOS, and I'll buy it for Mac as well as soon as the mentioned issues has been solved.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-03-11 10:18:28

hi,
Would it be possible to get the game on steam since the store page for windows isn't ery doable with a screenreader. You could just order through the steam site as that is very much doable

kind regards and have a nice day,
marro

2020-03-11 10:22:09

Hi everyone, so sorry to hear of these issues with the site. I'll get them sorted today. If you've been sent the windows version when wanting the Mac OS X, please do let us know and as I have for Appleman, I'll send an e-mail with a download link. Thanks again for your support, and I'll post as soon as I've addressed the issues above.

Purple Jam e-mail: [email protected]

2020-03-11 11:12:35

Sounds awesome. Congrats on the game release, and I look forward to trying it on android and windows!

2020-03-11 11:17:35

Hi, am I just being an idiot while playing or is this not just me? For some reason, the position of the ball and the position of the sound source don't agree with each other. This happens mostly on the second opponent. The ball will be on the opponent's side, and they'll return it and it will move to the left as it comes to me. But when I follow it, and keep the ball's sound precisely in the center, it'll quite suddenly land in my goal even though it was right in front of me, and the goal sound will play a bit off to the right. Also, sometimes there are two ball sounds playing at the same time, but I can follow only one.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-03-11 12:03:25

Hi Connor, what platform are you playing on? We'll try and troubleshoot the issue.

Harry

2020-03-11 12:55:14

Hi everybody, I've made a couple changes to the site and tried it with NVDA on my end. I successfully checked out with the Mac OS X version via PayPal. Here's a link directly to the Mac OS X product page. If you've any other issues just shout and I'll get them resolved today.

Mac OS X Shop Page: https://www.purplejamaudio.com/product- … mac-os-x-1

Thanks again for your support everybody, any feedback on the game is greatly appreciated and I hope you enjoy. It is challenging, but most definitely win-able. We're streaming some game play later today (around 3pm UK time).

All the best
Harry

2020-03-11 13:30:04

@15 I am playing on the ios version.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-03-11 14:17:33

I'm afraid I still cannot buy the windows version.
I'm having exactly the same problem as before, the checkout links and form do not show up as propper form controls on the page, I can hit tab to go through the buttons, and concluded the paypal checkout, however after confirming the payment with paypal, I'm just bumped back to the main site, and the place order button still doesn't work.
This I confess is a bit confusing given that I have bought a lot of games online and use amazon regularly, especially the way that so much of the shop just isn't showing up.

Am I missing something? Is something on the site broken?

When you say you tried using NVDA and going through the mac purchice, could you actually read the buttons or were you just hitting tab? and if you could read the buttons, is there a checkbox or similar not working?

Sorry for the confusion.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-03-11 14:53:47

Hi Dark

Oki doke, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this. What browser are you using? I've tested with Chrome and Microsoft Edge.

Hi Connor

We've tested on iOS and didn't find any issues but only with one version of the iPhone. What model iPhone are you using? Perhaps it's an issue specific to that that we can pin down.

2020-03-11 15:55:51

I'm using NVDA and chrome, and on most websites I've bought stuff on there hasn't been an issue, so no idea.

It's almost behaving as if the html isn't working correctly or being read as a webpage, so I am just tabbing between controls.

Unfortunately, I don't have another machine to test this on. I could try edge or microsoft internet explorer, though the one is old and obsolete, and the other is a browser I rarely if ever use owing to it's clunky tabs and sprawling layout.

2020-03-11 15:57:14

Hi Dark, I've tried it by tabbing through and pressing enter, and using mouse over to select. I've just purchased via PayPal checkout without issue and tested on an alternate computer. I think perhaps the easiest attempt to fix for now is to try a different browser if that's possible, but no problem if not. Alternatively, we could take a direct payment through PayPal with our Tip Jar, and e-mail you a download link directly.

2020-03-11 16:02:45 (edited by Dark 2020-03-11 16:05:01)

Hi.

Okay this is odd.
I tried with Edge and the payment went through fine.

Hmmm, first time I've had chrome mess up on me, unless it's a conflict with duck duck go or another chrome addon I have running.

I will double check my chrome settings, but in the mean time, I'll go and try the game out.

Sorry for the miner confusion.

2020-03-11 16:08:31

No worries! Glad it's sorted smile. Computers get a weird sometimes. I hope you enjoy the game, let me know your thoughts!

2020-03-11 16:11:48

@Dark

As I mentioned to the Pitch Black team among their Discord when I bought the PC version, I had to switch to NVDA's Focus Mode, then tab through the buttons. I was using the Brave browser I think.

Glad to know Edge worked for ya.

2020-03-11 16:36:14

@Queenslight yep, that was what I was doing in chrome, but for some odd reason after the paypal checkout it wouldn't let me hit the order button.
Oh well, now I've had a new experience, finding microsoft edge actually useful for something big_smile.

@Pitchblack, glad to get the game working. I'm really liking the nutty characters you play and strange environment (who'd have thought all these people take pong so seriously!).

The dopler effect on the ball movement seems a bit weird to me, in most audiogames you'd generally center a sound, rather than here it twice in different earphones, but it does give the game a nice space age feel and take a bit of getting used to.

The one miner problem I'm having, is I'm never sure who is hitting the ball when, since the sounds for your hit and your opponents' hit seem very similar and I've not quite cleared whether the higher tones mean the ball is coming or going, so the best method I've found is just to always centre the ball no matter what, indeed I don't know if I'm running into the same bug Conor mentioned, or if it's just my centering.

I did notice one rather odd thing, the background doesn't always change,when the opponent changes, which makes it a bit odd, facing the sort of terminatoresque guy in the farmer's field, but it's not a major deal.
I also notice that only with the first opponent are the 1, 2, 3, numbers spoken when you win or lose points, though the tones still play so it's possible to find out what's happened.

Other than this though, it's looking like fun, certainly the best audio landscape for a pong adaptation I think we've had, and a game that will take a little time to master, which is always a good thing.

One question I do have, is whether there is a set sequence of opponentts you can defeat to finish the game, or whether it is endless. I have noticed your opponents get harder, but there doesn't seem to be a level progression, indeed when you lose you seem to be able to just carry on.

Some stat tracking might be nice if possible, EG telling you how many matches you've won and how many to go, or, if it's intended that the game is endless, perhaps some tracking of wins/losses so you can keep a reccord.

Either way, thanks for the game.
I'll be giving it a page on our database as soon as I've played a bit more.