2020-02-05 23:28:24 (edited by Dark 2020-02-05 23:29:04)

Okay I logged in and gave this a try.
I must admit, I'm missing a few commands from other muds, EG x for examine, and the exits command, indeed I got very lost on Phobos simply because I was in the buggie park, the instructions told me to board a buggie which I couldn't do, and I forgot the exit I came through, I am also relying very much on the space maps at the second, and even so, two deliveries I did were late, even though I tried to pick planets close to each other.

On the plus side I like the descriptions and the world, and the spaceship flying has to be some of the easiest I've seen ever in any game, since you just basically walk around and do stuff.

so I don't know.

I can see I'll probably need to go and reread the manual to pick up on a few basics.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-05 23:41:35 (edited by JaceK 2020-02-05 23:50:44)

For the buggies, if you're doing cargo hauls, you don't need them. You just go AC office to AC office.

secondly, if you get a slithy tove, and the navcomp (from the moon, go all the way down the gravshaft, and poke around), you can just goto planet but that's not foolproof. Time units only tick by once you move in space. So, you can roam around on planets all you want without getting late fees. The navcomp helps with that, and getting into player run systems is good for that too if you want to advance quickly

EDIT: Also, navcomp makes it easy to get to planets in time (mostly), but once you get outta Sol, you're well, SOL. On the other hand, adventuring is a ton of fun because you get a new quest every time. If you want a taste of it while still a commander or captain...start the magellan treasure hunt quest line in the Earth spaceport

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2020-02-06 05:39:50

I looked at the guide and my head also spun, but I'm happy to try things out and see how far I can get. I like the community aspect, for sure.

Thank you for the advice about flying manually versus using the slithy toad for a navcomp.

How are you meeting people in game?

2020-02-06 08:10:20

There's a second quest that probably becomes available when you become a trader, though I'm not sure. Just off the Traders' Guild is another room where there's a guy you can talk to. He gives you a quest involving a planet called Graveyard wishing to join the Traders' Guild. It seems Graveyard wants to open a trading exchange, selling products for far less than the price any other exchange would charge. Naturally, the guild are suspicious that something is not quite right with this planet, and have sent someone to investigate, only to have them disappear without a trace.

2020-02-06 10:53:43

@Dark:

ex does work for objects as of right now writing this. Yep I know about the other quest, not gonna go near that yet. I'm trying to finish up aketuri. No idea how I get into the cargon city control room mind and the Magellan quest line is confusing me

Also on Linux natively

2020-02-06 12:36:42

I started this yesterday!  i like the game and the challenge people are friendly and helpfull the idiots guide on the websight is grate  i just hit 50 hauling creds  so how i can jump to player owned systems! woohoo! i got the navcom for my ship and it kinder helped but in some cases not realy

2020-02-06 12:49:17

To jump, get to the link in Sol (west of Titan a few moves0 and type jump

Once you get to a new cartel or system, don't forget to check the work board and do whereis <planet> for finding where planets are.

Also hey only 450 creds to go before you hit adventurer once you got 500 creds and pay off the loan too

Also on Linux natively

2020-02-06 21:44:57

So having dipped my toes into merchanting. It's not as confusing as it sounds, really. I'm still learning, but you buy low, sell high

Also on Linux natively

2020-02-06 22:19:04 (edited by cw 2020-02-06 22:20:32)

I remember playing this a few years ago. It was my first or next to my first space base mud I played. May had been beaten by slipgate, but do not recall which I played first. I do remember it being one of my first tastes of muds. Reading all the comments on it makes me ask a question. Where were you before the mud closed down before they went open source? LOL. Of course, it is a nice mud with friendly people and I need to create an account in this version of it some time for a taste of the old days.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2020-02-06 22:35:39

I was on the old ibgames version as well.

Okay, holy what

Sold 75t of tquarks for 63k

Man I need a better ship than my crappy little Harrier starter ship....but I'm really digging the trading. You gotta know what a planet needs and what it has too much of

Also on Linux natively

2020-02-07 01:40:02

I i love hwo peope are friendly and helpfull on there and as formyself i diddent even no it was athing till 3 days ago? lol

2020-02-07 18:05:17

Having looked at the guide, again....merchanting isn't hard. Futures isn't that hard apparently, and nor is planet running. Long as you take it super slw

@Dark: If you want to come back and try merchanting, I can help you out with it. I got several good trade routes written down

Also on Linux natively

2020-02-09 16:35:15

I just received an Email on the Federation II Community Google Group. Apparently they'd been having problems with the game crashing and losing player data, so now they're saving most if not all data to a database in realtime.

2020-02-09 17:12:33

Now there's exit lists as well. Which as of writing this post, can't be toggled

Also on Linux natively

2020-02-09 17:41:38

Actually, I'm afraid what happened, is that after briefly  trying fed,I wanted to try cosmic rage again big_smile.

It wasn't so much I was board with the game, more I was lacking features that exist in cr, such as ability to show exits and that handy x command to learn commands, then I got  taken up with cosmic rage.
I'll see if I can drop in though and get passed the basic cargo stage and into some more interesting parts of the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-09 22:14:36

The game scemes to be down as far as I can tell.
I hope it comes back soon

2020-02-09 22:21:12

@Shane: Cosmo did say they were rebooting for bug fixes. That may be my bad, I pointed out something got messed up with my profile on there

@Dark: It's not hard to get past the cargo stage, before they went to reboot things, I had just got to a futures trading. One thing I learned is this. Buddy up with a planet owner to have them manipulate the stockpiles and such.

Also on Linux natively

2020-02-09 22:46:54

And....it's back up now!

Also on Linux natively

2020-02-25 17:18:19

I am Jackson on there. I am pretty sure I chose male while setting up, but that is not what I got. LOL. Anyone know where I can go to change that? Now to see about one or two things...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2020-03-01 12:54:30

I can't use the com unit.  It just buzzes and that's it.  How do I get a permit for the ship?

2020-03-02 03:16:16

@45, try comm hellow. Does not work quite like in other space base muds. You are not told what you send. Here is the online guide for the mud if you want to read through it. As for the com unit it self, try this.

DropBox Referral

2020-03-02 19:44:33

@Nocturnus2020, if you're using NVDA have you tried pressing NVDA plus 5 for report dynamic changes?

I'm gone for real :)