2020-02-15 02:11:54 (edited by Dark 2020-02-15 02:13:05)

I admit, I am a little late in getting to worldsmith, the part interactive fiction, part strategic management game about being a mage creating worlds from scratch out of mystical ingredients.
That game I can see is a long way from the usual open box with key type of if games and will take some mastery, but since we've already had topics about worldsmith on this forum I won't mention more there, accept to say anyone fancying playing it can do so Here on Itch.io (I'd recommend it, I've only glanced at the basics and I'm already intrigued).

that however is not what this post is about, because a quick perusal of the blog on the worldsmith devs site also revealed that they worked on a spin off strategical two player card game, set in the same universe. Sadly, the Itch.io page for that one seems to have vanished, but a quick bit of googling found it on the interactive fiction competition index (I gather from the reviews the traditional parser junkies didn't like it, but then again they wouldn't).

this doesn't have you making worlds, but managing warlike populations, trying to defeat your opponent in battles, using cards with various effects, like increasing population or army subscription, or letting your life form progress faster, whilst your opponent does the same.
The game even has counter tokens which lets you axe a card in play if you like.
It's great fun, surprisingly in depth and addictive to play, and a little easier to get into than Worldsmith, plus might be good for anyone who fancies a quick strategy game.
The game can be Played online here, as an html version rather similar to worldsmith.
Alternatively you can

download it here, as a nice handy blorb file to run with Winglulks or your other favourite glulks interpreter.

I personally prefer it this way and rather wish I could run the original worldsmith game as a standard IF file so that reading of incoming text would be handled properly.

Unfortunately, since the If archive seems to list all the files of the html version individually, it'd take a lot of downloading to run for those who want to play in the browser, though feel free to look around the IF archive pages about the game and see what you can find.

However you play it, Enjoy!
I can tell I'm going to be liking both this, and it's parent game of Worldsmith rather a lot.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-15 03:39:23

Wow this is much easier to get into. I wonder if the game has stat tracking.

2020-02-15 09:46:34

Sadly not from what I gathered, indeed apparently there are just five opponents in the game.
It might be worth contacting the devs about this one, especially since I had to trall the internet to actually find it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-16 06:55:13

Spoilers

Does anyone know that in the original worldsmith game where i find Serella after being told by Brill that she's in the septem city? Getting frustrated. smile

Spoilers end

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2020-02-16 10:57:38 (edited by Dark 2020-02-16 10:58:49)

Okay, having a quick poke around the game, I discovered This here hints page, which has hidden, invisiclue style hints on various aspects of the game.

What I mean is, the hints are in code, and rather like the old infocom invisiclue books where you needed to unmark each successive hint to slowly get a full solution to a puzzle, so you need to paste the text into the code breaking box on the website.
One of the questions with hints on that page is about where serella is.

hth.

2020-02-23 00:48:47 (edited by Dark 2020-02-23 00:51:10)

Just to note that there are now db entries for both The original Worldsmith, found here

and Worldsmith, game of worlds tournament, here, as well.

I stuck some handy links on the pages, in particular the one to worldsmith, which should hopefully help people get into the game, something I mean to do myself when I have a little more time and inclination to try something truly complex.

2020-02-23 09:56:49 (edited by Dark 2020-02-23 14:25:04)

Okay, just created my first civilisation and got them to the galactic accordd hurrah! unfortunately, I think you need to create several to win the game mode.
I've not even experimented with story yet since I have so much fun building worlds.

Btw, anyone have any idea how I can get NVDA to speak incoming text on chrome? It works fine for a while, but after the buffer gets too large, it starts reading from the top, rather than reading the incoming text. I had a similar problem when trying the web version of flexible survival.
Of course, it's easy just to go to the edit area and read up a few lines, but I've been a bit spoiled by auto reading of text with standard if interpreters.

I also really wish there was a way to get all of the text of the incunable in a handy file without constantly having to hit different hotspots.
There is an incunable.html file in the worldsmith data folder, but this just gives you an html file with the same hotspots as when using the bottom of the screen.

Fortunately, game of worlds plays fine as a blorb file in win glulks.

Edit: okay I'm now getting into the worldsmith story. I can see why the game mode exists, and actually whilst there is a lot to get systems wise, it's okay once you get the knack of things, five civilisations up, and five completed, it would've been six but, ---- that would be telling! big_smile.

I'm now going to start in on the story proper and see what happens.