2020-02-16 12:42:51

Yes, Fighting fantasy project, have a new one.

This is one from the same author as Nye's song and curse of drooma, so it's going to be good, indeed I've played through a bit and met my first death, and the writing is awesome, albeit very much a historical novel set at a distinct time.
You play as a soldier from the wars of the roses (the period of English history which partly inspired game of thrones), and after finding yourself wounded in battle your miraculously healed by a holy relic at a monastery.

Unfortunately, the relic is quickly stolen by a band of mercenaries working for  a mysterious captain called the raven, and you're sent to recover it, with lots of danger and chances to meet an untimely end along the way.

You can Play the gamebook here.

Enjoy!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-16 16:03:35

Dark, stop giving me more great choose your own adventure stuff to get stuck into; I'm drowning over here!  tongue  Really enjoying how we're now getting novel authors creating these now and making actual books or at the least ones based on famous stories interactive.

2020-02-16 16:24:44

ffp titles are good, but I often amuse, confuse, or even annoyed do to how you could randomly end up dead big_smile

2020-02-16 18:49:31

@Jason, Welcome to the wonderful world of fighting fantasy big_smile.

Seriously, in the originals you'd get randomly killed for literally looking the wrong way, one thing which series like Lone wolf improved on.
then again, the ffproject does have books listed in order of difficulty, and many on there like impudent peasant, curse of the black lobster and bad moon rising are surprisingly easy, even if some like Hellfire are ridiculously, stupidly, completely unfairly difficult! big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-17 11:52:45

Hi!
@dark, you mentionned lone wolf, does that mean you were able to find playable versions of all the titles? To me knowledge there were around 30, and I was only able to find like 4 or 5 online. Of course the fact that I looked for them in French must have played a role, but I think I've also started searching for the original versions, but didn't succeede.

Best regard,
Sion

2020-02-17 15:40:35

@Arkandias, I thought it was well known that pretty much the entire Lone wolf lexicon was available on The project aon website found here

It's been in the db now for about twelve years, they even have some nice little VI adaptations, such as html versions with descriptions of images needed for puzzles in some books, and a very nicely formatted version of the combat action table.

Maybe it was looking in French, since whilst I know there is a Spanish version of the website, I am not sure about French, either way, enjoy!

I always go back to Lone wolf whenever I want something to cheer me up, since they're just so much classic D&D style rollocking heroic fantasy fun1

2020-02-17 15:49:22

Sounds amazing ! And yep, I must have checked in French only, cause in English it is litteraly the first result that shows up big_smile
I'll finally be able to finish this entiere story ! Thanks!

Best regard,
Simon

2020-02-17 15:57:31

Hi again !
Sory for double posting, but is there a format you recommand in order to benefy from the modifications that have been made especially for us? I'm going to start from the begining since I've played in French only and years ago.
I see many possibilities, from online reading to epub download. Any advice ?

Best regard,
Simon

2020-02-17 16:25:39

I've not really got into the hole epub thing myself, i just ued the standard html version, or the one without illustrations which often has some substitutions.
Also however, look in the extra resources section of the website for copies of the Vi friendly action chart in a nicely formatted table, and use your favourite random dice roller to get a number between 0 and 9.

They also have a character sheet to download, but I created my own with slots for the 12 carryable items, a section for items that go book to book, lists of Kai powers etc.

Have fun!

2020-02-17 16:45:47

I've played this one a couple of times. Haven't finished it, but I got pretty far on my second playthrough.
I can confirm that some deaths in FFP gamebooks seem very arbitrary, although when I beat Hellfire (it took awhile) it got to a point where I just learned to memorize which paths not to go on. Still, I don't like arbitrary things being arbitrary most of the time. Like if there are two doors with absolutely no indication of what's beyond them, and door #1 leads to death...I mean yes, this is possible, but if that choice is near the end of the game and I'm doing well till then, you're really going to put me off my game with a random death. In fact, you're going to make me want to stop playing the game and maybe not look back.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-02-21 16:52:52

is it bad that with door choices like that, new tabbing in the context menu to look what's in the room is used excessively? Not really fun of a random death and having to restart from the start is fun. Alternatives are bookmarks to return to a last saved page.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2020-02-21 17:06:32

I find that if I excessively use new tabs, backing pages  or bookmarking to just skip over death choices, the gamebok becomes less interesting over all, since then essentially all your doing is playing through a story and reading the bits you want, you might as well not be interacting at all.

I tend to allow myself a saved bookmark everytime I pass a significant goal in the story, like savepoints in an rpg. Like say when I get a significant item or get to a new locale.
that way I don't have to absolutely start from the start every time, but I am still hazarding something on death too.