2020-02-16 09:25:42

Hi. I have a couple of questions. First, I'm extremely likely to call myself an idiot if I've done something stupid. However, I'm not sure if that's ok here. Does insulting yourself fall under the personal attacks rule? Second, what about saying something along the lines of "you goof" or "you're a nut"? I tend to do both of these things if someone does something silly, especially if I know that person well. I understand the personal attacks bit, but I don't exactly think calling someone a goof or something like that is an attack. The way I mean it, it's more of a compliment and not meant to hurt anyone's feelings. I may also jokingly call someone an idiot, but not in public. That's a whole different story. Forgive me if these are the dumbest questions around, but someone told me the only dumb questions are those you don't ask.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2020-02-16 11:31:13

Personally I think your ok with wording like that.  However You were right to ask as you can't critizise or make a joke these days without offending someone.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2020-02-16 14:51:32

So the thing with personal attacks, it's more about common sense. Saying oh my gosh, I am an idiot for doing that earlier, I think that's probably not really an attack, that's you observing yourself. Saying someone's a goof or a nut, also seems like much less of an insult as well, i.e, it does not sound rude. Look at old cartoon programs like Peanuts, with the kids sometimes calling each other out, but also wanting to help each other as well.

2020-02-16 16:23:33

Short answer: you're fine.
Even lighter "attacks" often don't result in any punishment. For an example, if I was engaged in some fairly friendly banter with, let's say, Nocturnis, and he said something like, "Jayde, you're an ass, you know that? Well played". or something silly, then nobody's going to flag that. Intent is a big deal, and as you said in your first post, sometimes an insult really isn't an insult. It's said almost fondly. It's the same way, for instance, when playing chess, a friend of mine will make a good move and I might say something like, "God I hate you. All right, fine. If you want it that way...queen to b6". I don't actually hate the guy, quite obviously.
So yeah. Intent matters, even though it's not everything. You don't have anything to worry about here.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-02-16 20:32:14

"Jayde, you're an ass, you know that?" smile
I mean, seriously!  How dare you bring me into this discussion!  Here was me browsing this forum, entirely to my heart's content, and all of a sudden I see my name without any permission or authorization to use it?  How dare you!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-02-16 20:51:53

Nocturnous, you may wanna check Jeremy's site then. Look at his description for the vertual braille taker. Look at the 1ST line. Then come back.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-02-16 21:43:43

If you wanna find posts with your name just search your name. there are 964 of them that have the word Nocturnus in them

2020-02-16 22:43:52

@mechaSkyGuardian, thank you for making me feel so poppular.  I'll saunter away now, knowing the name Nocturnus has been mentioned in yet another post, bringing my total to 965.  I'm famous!  smile
And no, not really.  I neither need nor want fame nor glory.  I just love helping the community as much as I can, satire included.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-02-17 00:43:05 (edited by Zarvox 2020-02-17 00:43:59)

@6 that is how you do jokes. Also if you are doing a joke, please try to stay away from bringing yourself into it. This was a perfect example. The joke was about someone else, and instead of you coming in and trying to bring you into the joke just because you contributed, you just contributed, and jumped off. Like someone having a picnic, and you sneek up and throw an orange in the basket and quickly scamper off. That was funny.

@7 loved it.