2020-02-13 09:40:08

Hi,
I know, I'm probably the umteenth person to open this kind of topic on here, but everything I found in the forum didn't help.
So, I have steam installed, have the -no-dwrite switch set in the propperties, also my login details.
Steam doesn't start with windows, I start it manually, and it logs me in just fine.  But despite I did everything seemingly correctly, my NVDA won't read anything in steam for me. OCR on it works, but when I for example press shift+f10 on the steam icon in the info bar to get to settings or something, I get just nothing.
I even reinstalled the whole thing, but no luck. I'm really frustrated right now and any help with this would be great.
Thanks
Tikki

2020-02-13 12:15:33

So when you open Steam, it logs you in correctly, and yet doesn't read anything? Odd. Once it finishes logging in, I usually just have to press tab, and I'll be moved to the game library window, which's structured like a web page.

Perhaps it's showing you the SteamGuard window? Do you get a code sent to your email address? If so, try typing it into the steam window and pressing enter.

If you're using NVDA and don't have it yet, you should grab the ObjPad add-on. Most of the time when something in Steam can't be accessed normally, you can get to it using scan mode. The add-on is already compatible with NVDA 2019.3.
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/objPad.en.html

If pressing enter on something to activate doesn't work, try to bring the mouse's pointer to that button (NVDA+NumpadDevide on laptop) and use right click, or NumpadMultiply.

I hope one of these things can help. If not, well, I'm just a noob. No doubt, someone with more experience will be able to help you. Good luck! smile

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-02-13 12:42:13

@1, some areas on the steam client, like the store or the library, uses a web like interface so you can access it easier. However, to access settings or to go to a different parts of the steam client, you have to use screen review mode then search the menu that you want to open, then root the mouse cursor by pressing NVDA and numpad multiply then do a left click by pressing numpad multiply without holding the NVDA button.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2020-02-13 15:58:37 (edited by Tikki 2020-02-13 16:01:01)

Hi,I'm not getting the steam guard window, I did that already and it thankfully worked up to that point.
I know that things like the library are like webpages now, I can read these just fine. I just want to get to the steam settings and it doesn't work. I exactly tried what was described in post 3 here, but nvda just doesn't read anything for me when I try to find the settings icon, I can't find any menus in the steam window in review mode, there's just nothing except the web interface thing itself.  Unfortunately, the suggested addon didn't help either, but thanks anyway for that, it was worth a try.
Well, I hope someone has another idea, I'm stuck.

2020-02-13 20:49:41 (edited by Mayana 2020-02-13 21:14:47)

Hmm. In that case, I'm sorry, but I've got no clue how to help. I haven't been able to access any Steam client specific settings, either.

Any specific setting you're looking for? You can edit your account settings and your profile on the website, for example.

BTW, if you use ObjPad's scan mode and up arrow to the very top of the steam window, when you press down arrow again, you'll get to a line with your username and the amount of money you currently have. Below that are the buttons for Store, Library, Community and your username. You can access the submenus for those buttons by moving to the right word and focusing your mouse's pointer to it. No settings button here, though.

Edit: Oh wait, I think I found something! On the top of the window, even above your username and the money, there's a line with the buttons Steam, View, Friends, Games and Help. Once you get to the top, you'll have to press down arrow once, and then up arrow again. If you move to the View button and press enter to it, a submenu will appear, and the settings button is on the bottom of that submenu. Now I just need to figure out how to actually open it.

Edit 2: I got it! Once you get to the settings button, move the mouse's focus to it, then left click on it, or simulate a left click with numpad Devide. That should open it. Then you can navigate through the settings within, while still in scan mode.
It's quite confusing, since for example if you select the interface category, its options will show up, but the old family view options will also still be there. I'll have to do more tests to see how well changing settings even works, too. But hey, progress!

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-02-14 07:05:00

Hi,
thanks for all your research and help, but I still have no luck with it. In the steam window, I simply can't find these items you seem to have. No username or money, and no menus at all. sad
The setting I needed was the cloud saving, in the meantime someone sighted has sorted this out for me. But I still would like to know why I simply can't access any menus at all.

2020-02-14 09:14:16

Hi.
I can't access the settings as well. I want to adjust the install settings, so icons get created in the start menu. But due to the totally inaccessible installer window, I can't change that. sad

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-02-14 22:21:28

cloud sinc is on by defoulte.

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server