2020-02-13 10:50:49

This is great. Thanks for letting us know at post 1. If it actually happens our game industry will experience a big improvement. If it becomes accessible I'll be definitely moving onto it for my future game developments

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2020-02-13 11:23:21

I'm not that amazed yet. Experience shows that when companies say accessibility, they mean things like colour blindness and one-handed controls before really touching screen reader accessibility. But I can be wrong after all and would greatly benefit from such news.
PS: First saying that he is developing for the linux staff, now Mac apps... sounds like Soren is unable to decide which cool topic to name next to sound great and knowledgeable...

2020-02-13 13:45:18

Hijacker wrote:

I'm not that amazed yet. Experience shows that when companies say accessibility, they mean things like colour blindness and one-handed controls before really touching screen reader accessibility. But I can be wrong after all and would greatly benefit from such news.
PS: First saying that he is developing for the linux staff, now Mac apps... sounds like Soren is unable to decide which cool topic to name next to sound great and knowledgeable...

to clarify i am coding linux tools just for me in python and i am coding mac apps in swift

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-02-13 17:31:26

Ok, Soren, so you haven't coded an engine. And that's ok. But don't self-appoint yourself as someone who knows all about screen-reader integration and what it should be, and we'll be fine.
@Hijacker: Unity/Unreal are already aiming towards native hook-ins for accessibility interfaces on platforms, so there's a good chance their editor will also contain screen reader support when this is all said and done, as long as enough people demonstrate to them that this is what is needed.

2020-02-13 19:18:07

Interestingly enough?  I turned VO off when playing crafting kingdom and found it quite a smooth experience.  I'm not sure what lag exists beyond trying to use VO alongside it, but VO is not necesssary when playing CK anyway.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-02-13 19:43:58

This  super awesome news, Ian. I do hope that a lot comes from this.
Honestly my dream (and I don't know how to make it a reality), but have an AI program that creates an accessible overlay for screens in mainstream games, sort of like the RetroArch OCR. However, it would be cool if the overlay would know which element you were on and could read each one as you go over it. If the overlay had the text from the underlying code, it could easily intercace it into a screen reader.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2020-02-13 21:01:37

Sibiac for games. When a developer makes the overlay though, since the last thing we want is a free-pass so devs don't have to do the work themselves. BEyond that, it would need to be a dll that can be bundled with the game along with its overlay and an api for time-sensitive speech. Let's see what Unity comes up with though.

2020-02-14 09:25:40

soren wrote:

i am not coding games i am coding tools and apps for mac

Thanks for your reply. It's interesting to see an other developer, who does not code games, blame other developers work, in areas which the complainer isn't experienced in.
Please, make a difference and show the developers how to do it, instead of just sitting there complaining about other developers hard work. It doesn't help to just complain about it without actually do anything about it. You can make a difference, if you really are that serious a coder. So, please stop complaining, or please make a difference yourself.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen