2020-02-12 19:39:35

They've just posted a job ad for looking for a developer to work on the Unity editor, to make building games in Unity more accessible to disabled developers.

Note that this covers all kinds of disabilities not just blindness specifically, but this can be taken as a concrete sign that they are now taking accessibility very seriously.

https://careers.unity.com/position/acce … er/2082233

2020-02-12 20:45:43

that is not helping bicause the compiled things aren't accessible

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-02-12 21:48:38

@2 It may mean we can build audio games in Unity, or collaborate with sighted game developers. So instead of blind developers being limited to advising sighted developers on how to improve accessibility, we can actually develop and test our own solutions. I'm doing something similar for the Godot game engine, so if anyone were to build an accessible Godot game, I could work alongside them to quickly make it more accessible. This is an exciting development.

2020-02-12 21:53:29

Soren wrote:

Hahhahahahahahaha! Examples:
1. Audio Wizards on all 3 platforms? Check.
2. Crafting Kingdom? Check.
3. Feer? That too.
4. Galactic Colonies, definitely being worked on.
5. The Freaking screen reader plugin for Unity, developed by the same accessibility lead for Crafting Kingdom and Galactic Colonies.
This is an exciting development, because unity games already have the possibility to be made accessible, but now the code editor has the potential to become accessible for folks with disabilities, including screen-reader users.

2020-02-12 22:05:58

jack wrote:
Soren wrote:

Hahhahahahahahaha! Examples:
1. Audio Wizards on all 3 platforms? Check.
2. Crafting Kingdom? Check.
3. Feer? That too.
4. Galactic Colonies, definitely being worked on.
5. The Freaking screen reader plugin for Unity, developed by the same accessibility lead for Crafting Kingdom and Galactic Colonies.
This is an exciting development, because unity games already have the possibility to be made accessible, but now the code editor has the potential to become accessible for folks with disabilities, including screen-reader users.

that isn't what we need we need we need real accessibility with real vo gestures real fast normal screenreader performance and anything the screenreaders have may be that will come may be not.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-02-12 22:12:52

This really is a great step forward.  I'm no dev, but I have played a few games made BVI accessible in Unity; obviously Crafting Kingdom comes to mind right off the top of my head.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-02-12 22:24:00

Hi.

post 2 just showes that this person doesn't understand the hole affair, keep quiet.

I quite like this where it's going and that they concentrate on multiple disabilitys there.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-02-12 22:28:30

Post 5 further showcases it.  It's just argument for the sake of arguing.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-02-12 22:30:05

i am a coder and i really don't know why are you so excited about this

2020-02-12 22:31:21

@5,   patience please, patience.
@1 I can't wait to see where this is heading. smile

2020-02-12 22:31:39 (edited by soren 2020-02-12 22:33:44)

at 8 no i am just realistic sorry if i am offending someone

2020-02-12 22:33:37

You are not realistic, you are saying things which make very little sense. So what if there is a custom screen reader? Is it any slower? No it's not. Like 80 percent of audio games on Windows use customm made menus and not your real screen reader as you put it.

2020-02-12 22:35:23

nidza07 wrote:

You are not realistic, you are saying things which make very little sense. So what if there is a custom screen reader? Is it any slower? No it's not. Like 80 percent of audio games on Windows use customm made menus and not your real screen reader as you put it.

look at crafting kingdom it is slow as hell

2020-02-12 22:46:07

Ok, Soren. You try coding your own engine. Oh, and not having a flexible api for your, quote, real screenreader. See how easy it is to make hte game interface to real vo gestures and shit. Just because you're a coder that codes games doesn't mean you understand the whole of an underlying engine. And you know what, that is ok. You don't have to. You don't have to understand the way Unity works in order to enjoy a good game, or even code your own outside of Unity. What is not ok is this entitled attitude.
Crafting Kingdom is slow for you? Fine. Buy a new phone. Notice I did not say iPhone specifically, for if one is too expensive then a Droid is always an option.
The fact Unity has a custom screen reader, or any engine for that matter, means that games are easier to make cross-platform accessibility for. A good example lies within Xbox, as it contains a built-in speech api. How many games actually use it? Next to none, notwithstanding Crackdown3. Why is that? Well, because platform-specific accessibility is not cross-platform accessibility, and cross-platform anything is efficiency. If you can have the same commands and more or less the same speech subsystem on all platforms, then you can spend more time coding the game rather than having to code an interface to each screen reader.

2020-02-12 23:18:13

ok jak i agree on the cross-platform thing i like the ideas of a custom screenreader bud i see that it is slower then the real screenreader if there is a custom screenreader for unity that is as fast as jaws i will look in to this thing

2020-02-12 23:44:25

Lol, he's a BGT coder, that's all.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-02-12 23:51:17 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2020-02-12 23:52:53)

Wow Soren, nice way to derail with negativity.

This thread was not about games. It was about the editor itself being made more accessible for disabled developers. And that very much is helping, I'm not really sure what kind of thinking would lead to the idea that it wouldn't be helpful.

But as you want to talk games, yes the plugin is a workaround and not ideal, yes Unity need to be tackling it at engine level - and as of their 2019 summer hackathon Unity have now built a prototype of native cross platform screenreader support.

I hope that's the answer that you're looking for.

2020-02-13 00:02:00

simba wrote:

Lol, he's a BGT coder, that's all.

Greetings Moritz.

no i am coding in swift or python for linux staff

2020-02-13 00:03:15

ianhamilton_ wrote:

Wow Soren, nice way to derail with negativity.

This thread was not about games. It was about the editor itself being made more accessible for disabled developers. And that very much is helping, I'm not really sure what kind of thinking would lead to the idea that it wouldn't be helpful.

But as you want to talk games, yes the plugin is a workaround and not ideal, yes Unity need to be tackling it at engine level - and as of their 2019 summer hackathon Unity have now built a prototype of native cross platform screenreader support.

I hope that's the answer that you're looking for.

if that works cool

2020-02-13 00:05:58 (edited by jack 2020-02-13 00:06:32)

Lol. I'm on Android and am having 0 problems with the Unity screen reader plugin. Not sure if this is something to do with IOS or not. Either way, a few ms of lag isn't going to kill you, it's not like any of these games require mission-critical speech events yet anyway. That being said, Feer does in terms of its sound environment, but there is no time-sensitive speech. But as Ian has said, the code editor accessibility has literally nothing to do with the games themselves.

2020-02-13 03:26:14

I must really say, this sounds interesting. It would help many desabled people who also want to try such applications for developing.

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2020-02-13 04:29:34

Moderation:
Soren, consider this an official caution. You are not being punished, but this is -not the sort of thing we need. What you're talking about is basically negativity for its own sake. Even if you have valid points - and some of them are valid in context - was this the place and time to voice them? I'd say no.
You didn't hard break a rule. You just made a nuisance of yourself. Cut it out.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-02-13 06:21:09

@Soren, you literally cannot make an API that every screen reader will use and make available to games. It is not possible. You can't have VO gestures in games because VO exposes no APIs of its own that make this possible. To do that VO would need to expose an API, and the same would need to be done on Android, Mac, Windows, Linux, etc. Its not practical. If you truly are a coder you would be able to evaluate the practicality of ideas and realize that this is not possible. It just won't be unless all the developers who make accessibility APIs collaborate on a single, universal API. I don't see that happening any time soon. Plus, its entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-02-13 09:22:17

Hi.
Sounds fantastic. I look forward to see where this goes.
@Soren: What games have you actually made, which is not slow like hell? Just wandering since you are a coder, and you blame other games to be slow as hell with a screenreader. I look forward to see you make a difference...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-02-13 09:45:37

SLJ wrote:

Hi.
Sounds fantastic. I look forward to see where this goes.
@Soren: What games have you actually made, which is not slow like hell? Just wandering since you are a coder, and you blame other games to be slow as hell with a screenreader. I look forward to see you make a difference...

i am not coding games i am coding tools and apps for mac