2020-02-05 21:17:46

I like the boss music! It lets me know straight away I'm in the last room.
Is it possible you could code it so the eating/drinking sounds were keyed to the consumable items like magic berries and cool water and so forth? That's including the prestige items.
Also, I'm not expecting a bunch of sounds for when you find different things from searching, as that'd be about six sounds playing at once, but it'd be nice if you added a sound specifically for when you picked up something that wasn't food, potions, gold or gems, just so we'd know when our searches picked up extra items. I don't know if this is possible, but if it is, I'd certainly appreciate it.
Also, a sound for achievements would be nice. smile

2020-02-05 21:30:06

The Imaginatrix wrote:

I like the boss music! It lets me know straight away I'm in the last room.
Is it possible you could code it so the eating/drinking sounds were keyed to the consumable items like magic berries and cool water and so forth? That's including the prestige items.
Also, I'm not expecting a bunch of sounds for when you find different things from searching, as that'd be about six sounds playing at once, but it'd be nice if you added a sound specifically for when you picked up something that wasn't food, potions, gold or gems, just so we'd know when our searches picked up extra items. I don't know if this is possible, but if it is, I'd certainly appreciate it.
Also, a sound for achievements would be nice. smile

Yep, Dark also suggested reusing some of the sounds for other items, that is what I am currently working on. Probably anything you 'eat' is going to have the same eating sound and anything you 'drink' will have that little slurp sound. I'll try to find a good sound for searching or picking up stuff, it might just end up being a generic sort of bell sound. I was also thinking about maybe having zone specific music, but we're looking at like a 50 megabyte html file at that point. Which isn't big for a game, but it does make it a little rough when editing the text file.

2020-02-05 22:25:06

can i please have a sound for when i find a chest?

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-02-05 22:59:17

jescat277 wrote:

can i please have a sound for when i find a chest?

I'll add it to the list smile

2020-02-06 01:45:05

Thank you. I keep missing chests, now that i am playing with shortcuts. Would it be possible for it to be a different sound then the one that you are planning to use for picking up other items.

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-02-06 03:39:11 (edited by malachi1616 2020-02-06 03:41:43)

jescat277 wrote:

Thank you. I keep missing chests, now that i am playing with shortcuts. Would it be possible for it to be a different sound then the one that you are planning to use for picking up other items.

Yep, I just did a small update, new sounds are:

A mysterious sounding chime that happens when you find a chest, draw from the deck of fate, summon a merchant, burn incense,  use a lucky penny, read a poem, open a clay urn, solve a puzzle box or resurrect with an ankh. So hopefully those are too not common and can be easily distinguished. Also they should never happen at the same time.

All of the consumable items now have a sound. All eating ones have the little crunch sound, all drinking ones use the slurp sound, all throwables have an explosion sound (even if they don't really explode). There is also a little ding sound when you search and find something other than food and gold.

Finally, there is a little negative sounding chime that happens when you die or passout, or are poisoned or cursed.

I'll probably do one more little sound update so that pretty much everything has at least a placeholder sound for now, then with that update, make the settings save.

The next sounds are going to be tough because they need to be sequenced. So far all of the sounds trigger on an event, but in order to make combat have more sounds I need to queue up the sounds so its swing and hit or miss, then the enemy swings and hits or misses, and a death sound if there is one. Right now everything in combat all happens at the same time each time you hit attack so all the sounds would mush together. Also, need to get different sounds for different weapons, at least cutting vs bashing attacks.

2020-02-06 04:19:16

I am loving this new soundscape. I think that the only thing that was missed was the achievement sound, but other than that there is a sound for mostly everything. I am only having trouble telling the negative affects from the positive ones, but i suspect that this will just require me to play more attention. I think that the deck of fate also plays the same sound, whether there is a positive or negative affect. Keep up the good work, and thank you for everything your doing. I normally don't play fighting games, but i made an exception for yours.

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-02-06 23:02:54

Ok, I've got a sound for achievements. I divided up the deck of fate effects into a few different sounds. Most of the bonuses from the deck will have a generic positive chime sound, the Noble card has the money sound, the Feast card has the food and drink sound. The Skull card has the bomb sound, and a generic negative sound for the other debuff cards.

I was able to make an audio queue so that I can make sequences of sounds for combat. Also, if your browser supports it (Firefox, Chrome, Edge, not IE and not Safari), you will hear combat sounds in stereo. Your hits and misses should come from your left and the enemy's sounds should come from the right. Also, you should hear different sounds depending on what attack you use. Enemies always have a generic punch kind of sound for now.

Also, you may notice a few of the sounds have changed, I am using a different site with a generic catch all license, so that I don't have to keep track of individual credits for each artist, I can just link to the website. So I got rid of all the old sounds I had, even the ones I liked better, and found the best equivalents.

Killing a boss is a little anticlimactic, when it comes to sounds. At some point I'll have some sort of fan fare for it. But the big update here is that settings now save! They are not part of your savestring through, so going from one device to another by exporting/importing your save will not carry your settings over. The reason for this is that you might want to have different settings for each device, set them once and don't worry about moving your game save around between devices.

2020-02-07 18:43:35

What do i have to do to get the combat sounds to work, because right now i hear nothing during combat, but i hear stuff when other events happen.

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-02-07 19:46:09 (edited by malachi1616 2020-02-07 20:38:15)

jescat277 wrote:

What do i have to do to get the combat sounds to work, because right now i hear nothing during combat, but i hear stuff when other events happen.

EDIT: Ok, I fixed this. It ended up being Chrome's overly protective security policies. I had to put in another screen to get into the game, so the first time the game loads you should have a screen that just has a start button on it. This is because Chrome wont let me create an audio context without user input. As in, I can't do it on page load. It has to be on a button press or something. If you don't have that start screen at the beginning, you may need to do a hard refresh on your game to get the new version in Chrome (CTRL+F5 after the page loads). Also, to get around another chrome deal I changed the cookie that is sent. It shouldn't affect anything, but I am anticipating that it will anyway, so if you see any cookie related issues, let me know.

Edge is a mess, I'm thinking about not supporting Edge at all for this game. If Edge is your browser of choice, I'm sorry. But, Microsoft isn't doing developers any favors with their lack of audio support. Or I guess I should say, spotty audio support.

2020-02-08 00:54:02

Wow loving the new update. Keep up the good work! I think that the only thing that doesn't have a sound is prestige  foods.

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-02-08 01:42:18

Do you know if there is something keeping the game from running in mobile browsers? I have been playing in Edge, but I'm fine with switching to another browser. I hope I can export and import the cookie, I start at level 27 right now. right now all I see is the start button. When I press it nothing happens. I tried starting a brand new game in Chrome, but got the same result. Is there a setting I need to change? Can't wait to check out the new sounds! And let me add my thanks to those who have already thanked you for the pack size info. It's amazing how much A little thing like that helps. Keep up the great work!

2020-02-08 02:12:53

jescat277 wrote:

Wow loving the new update. Keep up the good work! I think that the only thing that doesn't have a sound is prestige  foods.

Oops! Those aren't in the normal consumables part of the code, they are a special kind of item so I forgot all about them. Good catch, I just added the eat and drink sounds to them  smile

skhye wrote:

Do you know if there is something keeping the game from running in mobile browsers? I have been playing in Edge, but I'm fine with switching to another browser. I hope I can export and import the cookie, I start at level 27 right now. right now all I see is the start button. When I press it nothing happens. I tried starting a brand new game in Chrome, but got the same result. Is there a setting I need to change? Can't wait to check out the new sounds! And let me add my thanks to those who have already thanked you for the pack size info. It's amazing how much A little thing like that helps. Keep up the great work!

It is working for me on the Android native browser and Chrome on my Galaxy S9+. I'm downloading the mobile version of Edge right now so I can try to reproduce these issues. What mobile device are you running?

2020-02-08 02:25:49 (edited by malachi1616 2020-02-08 02:45:51)

Hmm, sorry to report that its working fine for me on mobile Edge as well. Actually it works properly on mobile edge where on desktop edge there are problems. But now I'm thinking maybe I just need to update my desktop. As for settings that might be messing this up for you, I'm not sure. The only thing that happens when you click that button that is different than before is that its setting up the audio panning stuff for the combat sounds. You might try to just redownload the newest versions of those browsers and see if that changes things for you. Also if you are running an iPhone or iPad, I'm totally at a loss because I don't have one of those devices to test on.

If I knew what error you were getting that would help. Getting that information on mobile devices is a challenge though.

EDIT: Ok, I added a little tiny link at the bottom of the start page that will start the game without panning enabled. It should skip all of the code that runs when you click the start button. See if using that alternate start method works for you, if updating your browsers and stuff doesn't work.

2020-02-08 07:20:55

I'm sorry, I'm running iOS. I absolutely should have mentioned that. Wow, that extra link solved the problem, or at least it let me start my game at the level I was at before. I tried loading the game into Edge, Safari, Chrome and Ecosia, and all four browsers showed the Start button but nothing happened when I tapped it. I have no idea why iOS browsers would block the game, but I'm really excited to check out the new stuff and that I don't have to start over! BTW, I'm not surprised Mobile MS Edge behaves better than Desktop Edge. The mobile version was given accessibility TLC and a lot of sreen reader users have good things to say about it. Still, if Chrome, or another browser, works better with InfiniCrawl, i'll be happy to switch. I've been looking for a stable alternative to Safari, since iOS doesn't offer a way to change the default browser.

2020-02-11 20:05:50 (edited by malachi1616 2020-02-11 20:06:34)

I made a small change that might help with iOS stuff. Please try it now using the regular start button and let me know if it works for you. I don't have any iOS devices to test on, if this doesn't work for you, I'll try to find someone with an iPhone to help me test.

2020-02-12 16:52:08

I'm sorry to report that the Start button still doesn't do anything in the three iOS browsers I tried. Safari, Hrome and Edge. I'll do whatever I can to help test in Ios.
I would really like to start playing in CHrome, but my cookie string doesn't carry over from Edge to Chrome. When I start a game, after clicking the link at the bottom,  I clear the data in the edit box and paste the string. In Edge, I'm still at level 27, but in Chrome, I start over at level 1. I've tried clearing browsing data in Chrome, but it still won't take the data from the cookie. Iz there something else I can try? In case it's helpful, here's the string.

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

2020-02-12 19:22:18

Got it working in chrome (at least on my desktop), it looks like another one of google's security features in one of their recent updates. For the iOS thing, I need a way to see what errors are posted to the console when you click that button. Which is pretty tough on mobile devices. I think for iOS devices you would need to set up remote debugging on another device, but I'm not really an apple person so I don't know what all that entails, I'd have to google it. I do have a mac guy here I can ask, or maybe have him look at it and see if I can get an error that way.

2020-02-13 10:11:00

Just a few Suggestions, if not already planet:
- you could get alies who help you in the game or can fight with you.
- quests could be a nice Addition. Or mini stories within the game.
- inhabitants of the different Areas you can meet wich could help you in some ways or you can talk to them and such.
maybe some of this are usefull, just elements that came in mind from other RPG's. The planed clas System sounds awesome, BTW, as well as the Sound updates you currently make. Very cool.

2020-02-13 15:18:26 (edited by JasonBlaze 2020-02-13 15:58:51)

edit: nevermind , figure out I have to wait a bit lol, my bad!
strange, I cannot start the game, I could click run the game, but then nothing, no difficulty selection

2020-02-13 19:00:43

BTW: I realy like the idea of puzzles and such wich malachi menssioned earlier, hope such things get in there as well.

2020-02-14 19:06:54

Niklas wrote:

Just a few Suggestions, if not already planet:
- you could get alies who help you in the game or can fight with you.
- quests could be a nice Addition. Or mini stories within the game.
- inhabitants of the different Areas you can meet wich could help you in some ways or you can talk to them and such.
maybe some of this are usefull, just elements that came in mind from other RPG's. The planed clas System sounds awesome, BTW, as well as the Sound updates you currently make. Very cool.

Hey thanks for the suggestions. Allies are on the list, but in the form of pets. They will most likely help mitigate environmental effects. Quests, I've been trying to figure out a good way to implement them, not sure how its going to work out but I do want to get there eventually. I did think about having some sort of actual story that gets revealed through journals or something that you pick up, but this adds a ton of work as well as adds a lot of things to load in the game increasing the size of the game a lot. But I still want to do it eventually.

There is a plan for more NPCs to interact with aside from the merchant, it will likely tie into the class system some how.

Niklas wrote:

BTW: I realy like the idea of puzzles and such wich malachi menssioned earlier, hope such things get in there as well.

There is the puzzle box that your character solves, but so far I haven't come up with a good way to implement puzzles that you solve as the player without making them really repetitive. It's still on the list of things to put in but it'll probably be a while.

JasonBlaze wrote:

edit: nevermind , figure out I have to wait a bit lol, my bad!
strange, I cannot start the game, I could click run the game, but then nothing, no difficulty selection

On some devices there will be a small wait while the game loads, but the total game is only around 3 megabytes in size, it shouldn't take too long.

Also an update on the iOS issue. I was able to get an error message from a colleague of mine who uses apple devices. Apple hasn't fully implemented the Audio API yet and the method I used for panning audio is not supported. I have an idea for a work around, so I'll try that soon.

2020-02-15 00:02:33

let's see... quest could be as simple like, deliver this to that scene. or like, a collection of scenes within a scene that you can enter, instead of the room text, you'll get the simple story text. or it can be still like the normal gameplay where you walk through scenes but more sweeten with extra eunique text that connected the scene.
for example, you have been tasked to whipe out an orc camp. the quest is around 5 scenes.
it will starts like, "you forcely enter the camp, and an orc block your path" and so on and so on and end up with you entering the commander's tent.
I am not sure how this going to be work do to the random nature of the game though.

2020-02-15 20:08:00 (edited by Dark 2020-02-15 20:09:59)

I confess this is later than it should've been but now Infini-crawl finally! has a db page, find it ]here.

Hopefully this will help more people find the game and get dungeoning.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-02-15 22:43:40

Since it is even possible to download the game and play it offline, wouldn't it make sense to add the download link as well on the DB page? This way, people who are new to the game get both possibilities if they want directly on the DB page.