2020-02-11 15:30:41

Hello, I recently put this on applevis as well but the very kind and generous community decided to show all of their kindness and generosity by not leaving even one single reply, so I shall try and see if I have more success here. I have a problem getting into my mac at the present time. I seem to have misplaced my password I use to unlock it, and after three attempts, the popup appears where it asks if I want to reset it. I reset it using my apple ID, and enter a new password, but that password doesn't work on the login screen. I have attempted it multiple times so typos are out of the question, and I got no errors of any kind when resetting. Is there anything I can do here?

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-02-11 16:29:25

Did you enable password resetting with apple ID at the initial setup process? If not, you're pretty much screwed. You can use recovery to re install but you'll of course lose all your data.

2020-02-11 17:14:34

Hey, what if you go into recovery, and use the security manager to reset it? I have to agree about appleVis, got no reply on my issue either.

2020-02-11 17:17:18

Hi.

Have you made sure caps lock is off?

I know it might seam obvious but sometimes you're not warned about this kind of stuff and might be typing in caps when you didn't mean to do so.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-02-11 19:16:33

yes, caps are off. I didn't even see anything that would have allowed me to turn on "reset with apple ID" but since it does allow me to choose that option, as I said in post 1, I would assume it is on? It's very unlike apple to have such an option but not tell you if it isn't working.

2020-02-11 23:01:12

do you have a time machine backup

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-02-12 10:48:32 (edited by Socheat 2020-02-12 10:50:30)

Boot your Mac into recovery mode, then select disk utility, and click continue. After that, go to utilities menu>Terminal. In the terminal window, type "resetpassword" without the quotes, and hit the return key. When you're done, you need to select your main drive where you have macOS installed, and select the user account whom you want to change the password for.

Hope that helps.

2020-02-12 15:49:37 (edited by Dakonna 2020-02-12 15:49:56)

Hi, I ended up reinstalling the OS, and resetting the password that way. Thanks all for your 0help, many of the posts here got me on the right direction.