2020-02-07 21:10:45

I'm interested as well. One of your big supporters. Let me tell you I really wanna start creating RPG games, and very excited!

2020-02-07 23:48:33

Hi Paul,

I watch your last Video of Sable and it‘s very awesome. I‘m looking forward to be a beta tester of Sable. I‘m so excited about ut.

Best regards

Werner Katz

I like to meet new People.
Feel free to follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/katzwerner?lang=de

2020-02-08 15:00:10

Hi Everyone,

Pleased to see everyone’s enjoying the latest video, plus all the interest in testing is great to see too. As mentioned in the video, although we’re now very close to moving the Sable prototype into its alpha phase, we’re not quite there yet, but as soon as we are we will be posting an invite out here and on our social media pages. This first group of testers will be a small team of QA testers, rather than beta testers. The main thing we’ll be looking for from QA testers is to try and find any bugs not picked up by our internal testing and basically trying as hard as possible to break my beloved Sable hahaha. We will be looking for beta testers too at some later stage, but initially as mentioned this first group will be the QA testing team. More details will come out regarding this once we send out the invites, but I thought I’d let you know roughly what sort of testing we’d be looking for from the QA testers..

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

2020-02-08 16:08:48

Hi there. I am so glad to hear that Sable is coming along quite well and quickly. I can't wait and hope to be one of those that is able to help test it.

2020-02-08 22:49:36

It'll be awesome!!!

Hearthstone Tag ID: RobotWizard#1265216

2020-02-09 02:51:20

Hope to be able to test this.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2020-02-09 09:07:14

Great video, I'm really excited to see the part 2. I'm also interested in testing sable in the future, maynly to see if there is no problem creating things into other languages. Lets see what happens in the future, this progect is moving on!

2020-02-10 11:53:56

I'd love to test this as well.

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2020-02-10 22:56:46

I so am looking forward to buying it.

2020-02-11 18:28:32

Hi Paul, I would like to ask you a question about Sable, which is about translating the game into other languages. Let's say that I build history by inserting dialogues in Italian, which are read by Sapi or Nvda. Have you thought of a function that groups all the dialogues, so that you can translate them all into English, thus creating a multilingual game? Thank you.

2020-02-13 12:59:40

Hi Everyone,

I’m really pleased everyone’s enjoyed the latest video, thanks to everyone for the positive comments and the interest everyone’s shown in wanting to QA test Sable. I’ve been busy as ever working away this week on Sable, but I’m hoping to get a chance to record part two of the video this weekend or at some point next week, as soon as its recorded and uploaded to YouTube I’ll be sure to post the link here. as ever I’ll answer questions which have come in below:
@number 360, thanks for the post.  regarding multilingual support, this isn’t something Sable currently supports. Obviously for anything you create in sable you can write in which ever language you choose, so things like NPC’s speech lines, names and descriptions of equipment , abilities , items or objects etc you can write them in whatever language you wish and that’s how they will be read by the users TTS program. The limitation with this is that  there are currently certain elements which are hard coded  in English such as menu options etc, which there is currently no way of  changing. I would like to offer more flexibility to this in the future, but True multilingual  support would be difficult in a project like Sable, since unlike a game where there are a finite amount of textual lines/dialogs in game, which could all be manually translated and added to a game, with Sable each developer will add their own unique items and text to their game so there would be no way for sable to predict what text each developer would add to their game. There is also the issue that developers may use pre-recorded voice lines in places, which would cause issues if they wanted multilingual  support in their game. Sable’s current system for handling speech output does currently take any text due to be spoken through a single function I’ve built into sable, it takes the text and then turns it into Sappier TTS or sends it to the screen reader to speak. As far as I am aware there are no free programs I could use inside the speech function that would convert it into a different language before  it converts it to speech. . if you are aware of any programs that offer free textual translation though I would be interested to find out more about them since if there was a way to add automatic multilingual  support into sable that would be fantastic as its an area I’d like  to investigate further   in the future so sable could be enjoyed by more people, regardless of which language they speak.

As ever thanks for all the positive comments, keep an eye out for part two of the latest video which  as mentioned above should be out some stage next week.

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios

2020-02-13 13:12:07

Hey Paul.

First: As always, I'm loving the videos about the engine. Thanks for giving us these sneak peaks into a future product that should give creative souls an avenue of expression in a medium they might not otherwise be able to due to skill limitations.
Secondly: I notice that you were demonstrating the locks and such in your recent video. You're using objects and such, but do you think you could make a skill as a key? In this way, you could have doors and/or containers which could either be unlocked by a key, or unlocked by the presence of a skill / skill level. So maybe the secret door to the vault of Aladin could only be opened by someone who managed to retrieve the artifact key of ways, or a thief could try to open it assuming his skill level was very high.
I understand if this goes beyond the scope of your intentions for locks, but you'd be able to use this mechanic for a lot of class specific secrets, so I hope it can be worked in. An arcane library where only a mage with the right skill / spell could open it. The magically preserved heart of of an ancient king which holds demonic and wicked secrets that only could be discovered by a necromancer who knew the correct lore skill. The holy chambers of a long forgotten deity, accessible only to clerics who have achieved level xx in the divine communion skill. ETC.

Keep up the great work.
Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2020-02-13 14:14:30

Hi,

@number 362, pleased you enjoyed the latest video. Thanks for the words of support towards the project, your post comments are exactly why we built Sable as we know there are a wealth of talented individuals  within the audio games community, not everyone can code  and hopefully Sable gives those people the tools to turn their own ideas and stories into games we can all play and enjoy. So again, thanks for the comments from yourself and others who have posted similar comments or messages of support as  these are all really appreciated from the whole team and can be really motivating to see people so excited about the project. As for your suggestion, that’s a really good idea, I don’t think it would be difficult to code in either but I think would be a powerful sable tool, I was thinking of something similar for abilities to disarm traps that the party members encounter in game. As ever I can’t promise it will make it into this version of Sable, but it’s definitely a good idea and something I’ll have a play around with. I think the biggest issue would  be that of keeping track of which abilities/skills open which doors in case a creator decides to delete an ability which is linked with unlocking a specific door and therefore leaving that door inaccessible  as its related ability/skill was deleted by the creator, but I don’t think this would be a huge issue just something I’d need to consider  the best way of implementing to prevent users deleting an ability/skill in their game which affects doors that ability unlocks  which have already been placed in game

Thanks for the idea

Paul

2020-02-13 15:19:41

Is there any idea of a release date for the engine? Also what about pricing?

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-02-14 09:52:16

Hi.
Will the engine come with all those amazing sounds which are demonstrated in the videos?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-02-14 12:22:46

Hello. I am very happy to learn that such an engine can exist. I am a little
in late because the beginning of this discussion goes backto 2018. However I took a few days to read all the posts on this subject, from
the first to the last. I appreciatea lot that can bring SABLe for this communoté and I am impatient to be able to
test this.
The five videos I have already watched make me very enthusiastic, I lacked the
intelligence to do coding, and Ithink that this engine can relieve my sadness on this subject because I always
dream of building personalized RPg!
I have not yet seen all video becauseit takes a little time, but I think I would have known all of these videos soon. Thank you for your very promising project and I wish you good luck for the rest
And sorry in advance for my roughly English.

2020-02-14 17:39:08 (edited by lemm 2020-02-14 17:43:02)

Hi everyone,

Pleased everyone’s enjoying last week’s video. I’ll try and answer below some of the questions/posts which have come in.
@number  364. we don’t have a release date yet for Sable. Our plan is to first release our Game title called Crimson Eclipse  which will be created entirely using Sable. This will give everyone a chance to see the types of games we want to create here at Ebon sky studios, it also gives us a chance to fully road test Sable, making any adjustments or fine tuning along the way. The other purpose of the game will be to give everyone a chance to experience first hand through our game exactly what Sable is capable of. I don’t have a release date for the game yet either, but the game design team and sound designer are all busy working away on the game and as mentioned in the video we posted last week we hope to start looking for a small group of QA testers to start testing Sable shortly. As soon as we’re ready for testers we’ll  post here, but if you want to stay up to date on news and updates you can follow us on social media (links are in my signature at the bottom of the post).
@365. Really pleased you enjoyed the latest video, I’m looking forward to recording part 2. As for sounds, most of the sounds in the demo are created by our sound designer, although there are also a few place holder sounds used too. sometimes when I’m creating a video and realise I don’t have a sound for something I want to add, I’ll just pick up sounds I have lying around  from internal maps I’ve created for testing or fun. As for which sounds we include with Sables release, it’s a little too soon to say, I guess that comes down to how much we decide to price sable at as to how many sounds we can include in the release. We will definitely include some sounds, I just can’t say how many and which ones. I know one option we’ve been looking into is our sound designer to sell sound packs/libraries through our website for Sable developers wanting a place to buy sounds/music from. That’s, probably getting a little ahead of ourselves, but the idea is that as well as  providing the tools i.e. Sable , to also provide other resources creators might want to include in their projects. i'll pass on your positive comments to our sound designer though as he'll be really pleased to hear you liked all the sounds in the video. 
@number 366. Thanks for the post, wow, that’ must have taken a huge time reading through all the posts in this thread, but its really appreciated you took the time to read them all. I’m also really pleased you’re enjoying all the videos from our YouTube channel too. Thanks for the interest in the project, its really great to see people like yourself so excited and enthusiastic about the project, we wrote Sable for exactly the reasons you mention in your post, as we wanted to create a tool which allows anyone to be able to turn their hand to creating an audio game, even if they have no coding or scripting knowledge. We’re all avid gamers here at Ebon sky Studios too, so we are also really excited to see and play the different games people create using Sable.

Thanks as ever to everyone for all the positive comments.

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios

2020-02-16 08:58:48

Hello, I finally read all the videos !
It is necessary that I take courage and I force me to must have patience because I really can't wait to try your games and try my futures creation.
Your music and sound effects are very goodany case.
AND this engine looks very simple to take in hand, it's nice.
I can already imagine all the follies that I am goingbe able to do with all that when we can buy it.
Anyway, I join with all those who want to be beta tester when it canbe possible with joy.
I wish you a good continuation, I imagine that your team has a lot of work at this time.
Good luck and I hope to hear from you soon about this project!
Or rather, we all hope so.

2020-02-17 12:35:06 (edited by lemm 2020-02-17 12:39:42)

Hi,

@Cai, yesterday I had a little chance to play around with your idea/suggestion, it was actually a nice little break from my final round of internal  bug testing which I’ve been working flat out on recently (but for anyone interested, the internal testing is going really well ). I’ve now added code so that  as well as the option to open locks with keys, you can now use abilities/skills to open locks too. at the point of creating  the ability you can specify things like custom text and sounds which are used when the ability/skill is used, hopefully by adding these options this gives a variety of options as to how/what the ability/skill is used for, so as you mentioned it might be a lock picking skill or an ability which is more magically based which will open the lock. As an example if you wanted it to be a lock picking skill  you could add custom lock picking sounds and text, so when you finally reach that secret locked  vault of Aladdins I know you want into so badly wink  it could be set that it fires a lock picking sound with some text which would maybe read Cai uses his skill in thievery to deftly pick the lock, or whatever custom text you wanted it to read. . hope you and others find the new feature helpful, I think it was a good idea  and could add some interesting mechanics into games and was nice and easy to add in.
@ number 368, thanks for taking the time to watch all the videos and also for all the positive comments too, as mentioned before it’s great to see people so enthusiastic about the project. I’m hoping to get  part 2 of the latest video out this week , I’ll as ever post the link to the video here and I hope you enjoy the new video as much as the previous ones, I know I’m really looking forward to recording it. If you want to stay up to date on news and updates you can always follow us on social media too, links are in my signature below:

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios

2020-02-17 14:38:41

Hey Paul! If I may borrow a bit of creative license with the English language: That's fantabulous about the feature progress. I do think that such ability-triggered locks could pave the way for awesome puzzles, and would also allow you to lock certain content behind progression walls, too. You don't want a level 3 chicken tamer to be able to get the golden bird saddle until he's level 25? Just make sure he can't unlock the chicken coop of Fowlistrad until he has the level 25 ability "Poultry Patience".
A question: Is this also applicable to doors and other lockable transition points, or is it just for containers?

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2020-02-17 15:12:07

I've got so may questions, but I don't want to ask to many. lol. i think the option to buy extra music would be awesome. but i need to ask, 1 how would one compile a finished product, and 2 when you purchase the program, do you know how many computers one will be able to put it on?

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2020-02-17 19:23:23 (edited by lemm 2020-02-17 19:26:55)

@number 370, creative license for the word ‘fantabulous ‘??  I’m almost sure if I look that up in my oxford English dictionary it would already be in there hahaha. As for your question about using it with other lockable objects, the simple answer is yes it would be possible. The slightly more extended answer is that when I write any code for sable I try and write it in a way where I can re-use the code in different places in sable.  I also use a coding technique called inheritance in certain places in Sable, objects are an example of this. Inheritance is a little too complicated to explain here (without one of my trademark wall of text posts hahaha), but it allows  me to have some core functionality  for all objects in sable, in this way I can simply take the new code I wrote  for abilities to open locks and using just maybe  3 or 4 lines of code insert it into any object which has locks and this would enable that functionality to that object. I’ve currently only added the functionality to doors, transitions and sizeable transitions, just so I could test it on one group of object types first, but  I could easily  add that to containers  or chests too just with those few lines  of code. Usually the most time consuming part of adding new functions like this isn’t actually creating the new feature, but is creating the user interface for things like the creation or editing tools the end user will need to create or view or edit the new feature, testing the new feature and then finally adding code to prevent someone doing something catastrophic to their game, such as deleting an ability which is required to open key parts of their game etc.
@number 371. Pleased to hear you like the idea of a place to buy music and sounds from, I know from my brief time creating an audio game before Ebon Sky studios  a huge part of my time was taken up trying to find sounds I could use, as I think its not until you start to build a game yourself you start to realise just how many sounds are involved. So I think having a place people can buy sound libraries and music from will really help some developers. As for your questions about compiling and how many PC’s it will run on, its just a little too early to say. There’s various routes we could take on each option depending on how we choose to distribute the engine ourselves , some of these decisions will depend on just how popular sable is, I think once we have crimson eclipse rnvda
eleased and a full beta of sable out too, then we will be in a better place  to make those decisions  and we will at that stage be more able to share concrete details on how that side of it will work

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios

2020-02-17 22:12:07

hi,

@number 370, just as a continuation from my last post, I realised I may have made it sound like I hadn’t added all the stuff I said takes a time to code in like  the user interface stuff etc, but just to clarify I had already coded all of that stuff in for the new feature, I was just pointing out that surprisingly its often that stuff which takes a longer time. So the feature is complete, I’d only ever mention something had been added if it was completely coded in, ready for use and both tested and fully working, as you never know what issues you might encounter until that stage, which is why I’m always a little reluctant to promise anything not already in sable, just in case something comes up which prevents it.

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios

2020-02-20 18:59:30

Hi Everyone,

As promised, I recorded last night part 2 to the video which we posted a couple of weeks back. We’ve just uploaded part 2 to our YouTube channel and the link is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me6tAkXCscA

Hope you all enjoy this latest video. if you haven’t seen part one the link to that video is in the first post in this topic or you can also find it on our YouTube channel

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios

2020-02-20 19:11:03

LMAO Paul. I'm watching the newest video and I really appreciate your meatpie salesman. Great job on the voice line, too, as it sounds exactly like I imagine the character. Does that antidragon cream work?

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!