2020-02-10 19:16:12

bummmer. SO braille music editor, sibiac and also win wizzard, add ons I use almost all the time are not going to be compatible? mmm . I will hold up on upgrading then, even if a year goes by.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2020-02-10 19:16:19

As I explained earlier already, there is a non-illegal IBM TTS Driver for NVDA 2019.3 which works just well with Eloquence too. Since it doesn't ship Eloquence itself though, its not illegal. It just allows you to use your legally purchased Eloquence or IBM TTS with NVDA. You can find it here:
IBMTTS 20.02B1
Just install it and check out its settings page. It will allow you to search for your actual IBM TTS or Eloquence files. You can find them e.g. within the add-on you are using right now.
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2020-02-10 19:50:22

@Hijacker
Probably a dumb question... but how does one build an addon from a zip like this one is? Like I see the addon files, but I also see a bunch of other stuff.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2020-02-10 19:56:23

Oh, awesome! Thanks Highjacker, will try that now.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2020-02-10 19:59:29

Update. I'm not exactly sure on how to install this. I pasted the addon folder in my NVDA addons directory, but it doesn't even show up. Am I doing this wrong?

TWITCH

2020-02-10 20:02:54

Also the braille me addon which allows the braille me braille display from www.atguys.com to work with NVDA has not yet been updated for 2019.3. I hope it comes soon along with a braille me firmware update fixing some issues and a firmware fix i thought of that could fix dots not popping up sometimes.

2020-02-10 20:26:01

Will it work with my future Orbit Reader 20? I'm just asking since I'm going to by that display, but in the future.

73 Wj3u

2020-02-10 20:50:33 (edited by Riad 2020-02-10 20:51:21)

@32 I bet it'll work as that display does not have an independent add-on for itself.
Another add-on I'm wandering about future availability is the Acapela add-on since we haven't heard from the company in a while or at least there wasn't any announcement regarding future versions of NVDA.

2020-02-10 21:18:56

Hello,
Change exttention of .zip to .nvda-addon to install nvda addons.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2020-02-10 21:24:27

Yes, but in this case it’s more than just the addon.The zip file also contains the source code, and a bunch of other things. You can’t simply change the .zip extension on this one.

TWITCH

2020-02-10 21:43:51 (edited by swigjr23 2020-02-10 22:03:43)

I wonder if NVDA has become too dependent on add-ons.

As I sit here, I have over 30 emails, from the NVDA list, from people asking or freaking out because their add-ons do not work. I think maybe NVDA should integrate some of that functionality in to the screen reader. What does everyone think?

2020-02-10 21:50:51

Hello,
I wonder, is the voice addon compatible with NVDA 2019.3?

2020-02-10 22:47:53

It is compatible with 2019.3, yes.

TWITCH

2020-02-10 23:49:29

To be honest this is day1.
I have a few things like the nick stockton stuff like ifinterprertors and stuff like that.
Dropbox is the only one not compatible right now so  I am running a dev version.
A lot of stuff will release over the next week, those that have addons ready will release them.
Of course some may not get done and others, well we will just have to see.

2020-02-11 00:45:16

I agree that NVDA Remote should be built directly into the screen reader, as it's incredibly useful. most other add-ons aren't really necessary aside from the speech synthesizers.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-02-11 01:09:15

I won't be upgrading until ProTalker is working, as I've grown fond of the synth being able to switch between English and Japanese.

2020-02-11 01:20:51

I think there are very few things that should be built into NVDA by default, least of all Remote. Some people never use remote, and so building all that extra stuff into NVDA is unnecessary for them. Furthermore, that would put the burden of maintaining those addons on NVAccess, which is really something they don't need. This was never going to be a smooth transition, and it's possibly the biggest one that NVDA has ever had, combining py3 and speech refactor.
As for those who expressed concern about Win Wizard, I'll point you to NUtils.

2020-02-11 01:21:05

I think there's a new dev version of Audio Themes, but I don't use that add-on, so I'm not sure how well it works. As for Acapella, thankfully, that's been updated, though it sucked to have to redownload all the voices I use again. Win Wizard can easily be replaced by N-Utils, which is much more powerful than Win Wizard ever was.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-02-11 01:41:29

winwizard a workaround for now
http://masonasons.me/files/winWizardPy3.nvda-addon

follow me on
twitter
now go away, don't talk to me

2020-02-11 02:07:42

The latest commit for the add on 43 is talking aboutwas over four years ago. I don’t think that’s going to be updated for the new release

2020-02-11 02:33:17

Chris wrote:

I agree that NVDA Remote should be built directly into the screen reader, as it's incredibly useful. most other add-ons aren't really necessary aside from the speech synthesizers.

thankfully, two out of the three add ons I listed do provide application specific support. NVDA should at least have those built in or something, but then again even though they claim open source is and collaborative development is the new futuristic way to go and do things, well it as you can see has a lot of setbaks... the terrible decentralization is sadly one of them.
Another thing.. not all users use all existing or possible synths, so bundling all of them into the program will make it effectively, bloathware. So its just a matter of setting limits.

animal metal wrote:

winwizard a workaround for now
http://masonasons.me/files/winWizardPy3.nvda-addon

thanks, you are a life saver for such an awesome find. Just saved it. If sibiac gets updated, I will upgrade even if it means I lose support for braille music editor, because that program is sort of becoming a dinosaur and its time to invent myself a new alternative for reliable and consistent  braille music production (BME has some very amateurish flaws that should not be there, given its ridiculous high price).

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2020-02-11 03:24:32

If I had to choose one add-on to be integrated, it would be Braille Extender. I think Braille Extender brings braille in NVDA up close to the level of JAWS. Without Braille Extender, braille in NVDA would be almost useless for me.

2020-02-11 05:01:27

I agree with BrailleExtender. That is an awesome add-on! If I had to pick, I'd say BrailleExtender should definitely be included, and maybe NVDA Remote as well.

The only add-ons I really want right now are NVDA Remote and the Interactive Fiction Interpreter ones. Vocalizer Expressive doesn't work and should be updated, but I've worked around that for now with a SAPI 5 version.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-02-11 07:09:32

Yeah Braille Extender really should be part of NVDA.

TWITCH

2020-02-11 07:50:55

The Japanese synthesizer I was using stopped working in 2019.3 sad. It's the synth that is embedded in the Japanese version of NVDA, since in the GitHub repository (generally) when an update is released, there are multiple downloads available, one of them being JTalk Japanese TTS. I know it isn't the best choice, because I couldn't find a working version of the ProTalker driver. It's weird, because the add-on's state is enabled.

Yamaha YM2608

YOU
SAY! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Dec 4, 1992 prototype)