2020-01-16 00:28:39

His post had actual content in it too. Let's cut out the hahahaha for a sec...

Jaidon Of the Caribbean wrote:

Just for that, you get to be a boss. Have fun being blasted by a son canon
As a disclaimer all the main forum users are included

Hmm? What's that? Huh, looks like content to me.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2020-01-16 01:01:34

* reads all the post saying nothing but back, side, front, and says, damn, how much content? That post does have content if you want to look at it literally though, so I suppose you do have a point. Whatever, the discussion of that is pretty much over. I never said that I will dislike someone or their post as soon as they write hahahaha, my point is obvious for those who want to see it. Those who don't wont get it no matter what reasoning is brought up so it's really pointless.

2020-01-16 04:02:07

Basically, 2 posts got you saying this topic is 80% spam with 20 posts at the time? Thats only 10%? Learn your fractions?

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-01-16 04:11:52

@nidza07 I think the problem is that you didn't have any real reasonable argument to begin with; you were just suffering from something called irritability and gave into it.
You know what irritates me?  Rofl.  I don't know who this rofl guy is or what he wants with me, my computer, my text messages or all other social interactions I have online, but people make mention of him at least once a day, every day.  Why do I say rofl is a person?  Because are you seriously going to tell me that everyone drops to the floor and starts rolling around laughing at everything they write rofl about?
Know what else irritates me?  Lmao... Is that some sort of oriental dish with noodles?  It sure sounds like it; I find it hard to believe that any intelligent person could laugh their rear end off no matter how hard they tried, and if they managed it they should probably go to the hospital rather than sitting around typing out lmao.
And you know what I do?  I use them anyway, even though they irritate me, because there's just no freaking sense in living your life like a seriousness... (I prefer the non-existent word serierity) contest.  lmao lmfao rofl roflmao and any number of other craptastic shorttype has become so universally acceptible that noone else sees the people using such nonsense as nonsensical idiots.  I can either take it or leave it.  This forum is full of children who like to play games, and children will be children.  You can either take it or leave it.  Long as they're not outright misbehaving why even bother to make such a stink about it?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-01-16 04:14:21

Should I count all the posts just so you stop taking everything people say literally? If I say spam, you  copy some irrelevant definition talking about mail and game chat spams. If I say screen reader spamming, you say how that is not screen reader spamming and explain what is by doing weird things with combinations of letters. There's this thing called irony, sarcasm.

2020-01-16 04:25:44

54 hit the nail on the head.

_____

2020-01-16 05:05:33 (edited by Ethin 2020-01-16 05:10:05)

@55, must you be so serious? You literally came in hereand started attacking the guy without any reason whatsoever. Your argument was weaker than a butterfly. Everyone has pointed this out to you. People are having a bit of fun (you know what fun is, I hope?). People posting posts with things like "front", "side", etc., is precisely what these very same individuals might say if they were talking over TT, WebRTC, etc. Hell, I do that myself. Its not uncommon. Please learn to relax and have a bit of fun; your life is going to be utterly miserable if you don't. Also: copying and pasting definitions from the dictionary is *not* a problem. Everyone does it (don't deny it, I'll pay a random person in here 25 bucks if they've never done it once in their entire lifetime... any takers?). They may be irrelevant, but his definitions nevertheless proved his point (though the point was already proven before the OP even spoke up about the problem). "Having fun" or "funny posts" does not just include posts with elaborate "funny" content. Context is also important, you know. Its not the rest of us's problem if you fail to grasp what exactly is funny. That's all on you. You can ask (i.e. if what the funny part is some kind of "secret" joke between a few people) but asking was definitely unnecessary.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-01-16 06:09:49

For some odd reason, the Braillelite 2000 had a sign which, when typed out it only spoke as graphic.  You could type it out by disabling the return key's functionality.  If you read back a line of these characters with a C-chord you got nothing but jjjjjjjjjjjjjj.  Interestingly enough, if you used an ER-Chord to read the entirety of the document, that changed to peoplepeoplepeoplepeoplepeoplepeoplepeoplepeople.  Eloquence is not pronouncing that properly, but I found it absolutely hilarious 20 years ago.
Another one was simply writing open and closed quotations through a document all next to each other and hearing the unit's synth rise and drop as it spoke quote quote quote over and over again in varying pitches.  Still another one just involved typing out as many random uncommonly used characters into a document and reading it back only to get the weirdest sounding jibberish you could get out of the machine.  I don't know how many times I froze it over and had to cold reset the stupid thing doing that...
All that to say this; we have a community full of people from many walks of life and who's ages vastly differ on a wide spectrum.  I don't make a habbit or writing out ha ha ha ha ha ha ha on forums and perhaps it would be safe to say that half of our forum users don't either... I really don't know.  What I do know is that if I can skip over it I more than likely will and it won't put a damper on the rest of my day because someone got a kick out of it even though I couldn't.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-01-16 06:31:09

I for one have never posted a definition from a dictionary verbatim on a forum, mailing list, or any other online medium just to make a point. If I'm honest, it kind of makes you look like an arrogant dickhead. You're basically saying, "see? Look how much more I know than you!" Well, guess what, if that person had done a Google search, they too would have been party to the same knowledge. There are much better ways to make a point than acting superior and obnoxious. If you need to clarify a point that you can't explain well yourself, then, by all means, post a link or two to more information, but that's totally different.

In general, though, I agree with the thrust of what those who are saying to relax, leave it alone, and so on are getting at, and if it hadn't been for that cringeworthy defense of posting actual dictionary entries, I wouldn't have said anything either.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-01-16 06:42:07

@59, I have been told that i dont intensionally be like that, but people on here See me as that.
Now, for this same reason I hate text. Just cuz you don’t have the same effect as when you speak

_____

2020-01-16 06:45:17 (edited by Ethin 2020-01-16 06:46:43)

@58, LOL do you have any recordings of that?
@59, it might've been cringeworthy, but to me I do't think posting a definition is beingan arrogant dickhead. If you repeatedly take something out of context and always use the dictionaries interpretation of a term, then yes, that is definitely being a dickhead. But just posting it isn't; after all, if you were to "summarize" it in your own way you'd essentially be doing the same thing, just worded differently. Doing it once or twice is OK (especially if your using it as a part of your argument to, say, compare and contrast or to prove a point that contradicts the dictionary in an instance); doing it every chance you get and utilizing it as your only "proof" isn't.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-01-16 09:09:36

Personally, I don't quote the dictionary, and only quote other sources where it's absolutely vital to an argument.

Jaidon only got cautioned because his defensive-ish post kind of went over the top. If a person isn't spamming too hard, or does it once in a blue moon, we generally just don't care.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-01-16 12:54:00

Well ethin, that definition was completely out of context, which is why I don't like it. If it prove any point, fine, but it did not. There is no dictionary definition for eloquence crashwords, so does that mean they are not spam? Regarding your TT/whatever voice chatting argument, I fully agree, because we do the same, but forum is not a chat client. If you use it as such, that's a problem. Writing messages consisting of one word is generally perfectly fine on a chat app. Writing lol, rofl, lmao and all of those is fine on a forum as well, but writing it 10 times is pointless.