2020-01-15 23:18:36

Okay so I know this is a really old post, but I am wondering which ones nowadays are good for crafting, still running, have a playerbase, even if it's a small one, but one with at least a few people on at a time, and one that's not RP enforced, oh and one that doesn't purge for inactivity if I have to be away from it for a while. Anything fit the bill? I'll also check TMC.

2020-01-15 23:49:05

Empire mud probably

2020-01-16 03:17:22

I would recommend Accursed Lands. The player base is small, but the crafting is incredible.

2020-01-18 19:39:30

I never got into empire mud, it was always a bit too over populated when I wanted to try and build or find things myself, plus I was less keen on the skill tree system being so preclusive.

Cursed lands is one I need to try myself.
Lament I found a bit impenitrable since I never really found where to easily do what, EG I could make baskets, but had no use for them.
At the moment though I'm getting very much in to tempest season, which doesn't have actual item crafting yet, but does have gathering of ores used to purchice items and fletching your own arrows as a ranger, plus I believe making various potions and such as a mage too.

As to space muds, I'm less keen on the hole miriani fly a spaceship, blow up other players thing, but I do love exploring alien planets, since there's something just fascinating to me about being somewhere utterly alien that I can't predict, particularly since a lot of fantasy environments like the usual dark forest or troll  mountains or dungeons are feeling a bit familiar.

I actually really miss wayfar1444, and would love to see another mud all about setting up your own space colony and going from wilderness survival onwards, though I am also waiting for galactic colonies on Ios for that experience.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-04-23 11:02:59

Okay just another edition, I've tried Erion's crafting system, and it's actually really fun. There is  woodworking, leather crafting, mining, smelting, gem crafting  and then a unified crafting skill which incorporates all of them.

The first thing I like, is that you can gather resources literally anywhere, any corpse can be skinned, and lots of different tiles have clusters of ore to mine, meaning that you can do it as you explore the game.
At the moment the only place to find a tanning vat for making leather or crucibles and an anville for smithing is in the craft hall, but presumably others will be coming soon.

The second thing I like, is the way crafting works, since rather than having a bunch of different skills to make items, basically you gather resources, and then craft them with one crafting skill.
What I mean is, say you want to make a sword, you first look at the requirements, which might involve steell and leather, you then go out and get the materials, and then just "craft sword" when you've got everythinng.

The skills also hit that balance of requiring you to interact, without being super complex, so for example, whilst mining you'll need to occasionally clear dirt from clusters of ore, and smelting you'll need to stoke the fire under your crucible and occasionally skim off the dross from the smelting ore.

Indeed, in another more recent skill, Fishing, Erion has one of the better fishing systems I've seen in a mud, including having to jiggle the hook to attract fish, throw chum into the water, and check the state of the fish as a hole. What's also cool is both crafting and fishing give you experience for doing them. You probably would get a wee bit board advancing through crafting alone, Erion is a combat game after all, but it is a nice alternative if you get sick of slaying things.

There is also potion crafting in the game which requires recipes, though I've not got into that myself.

The only thing I don't like, is that at the moment when your felling axe or pickaxe break, there is no way to repaird without the repair skill, and since up to now the repare skill has been a very rare one in the game, this can make crafting mildly frustrating at times, since you keep needing to run back to the craft hall to get your gear fixed.

hopefully though the system will be expanded in the future, indeed with it's pregenerated quests and the like, I'd love to see Erion include crafting bounties in the future.

I also suspect cooking and maybe other skills will be coming but we'll have to see.

As it is though, this is a great edition to the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-04-23 12:56:12

I do like empiremud though, but I agree it's hard to find a large area where you can build your city, but still,, I do think some of the players there are friendly. I have no problem with the skilltree though.
acursed land is just in the same line as Lament so...
ah yes, wayfar... how I wish that would come back.

2020-06-04 22:14:15

Just to note that Cosmic rage now has a pretty detailed and long term farming system, with need to build buildings, hire workers and so on.
it's not a quick activity, more something you check every day and do new things when they need doing, but it is nicely complex, with need to manage feed, water, cut grass, and indeed look after animals, including healing them from time to time.

2020-06-04 22:22:36

alteraeon is a pretty nice thing for all these sorts of things too, though I haven't done much  in the way of those at this point though I intend to do more down the road. They also give more and more stuff to do on that point all the time.

2020-06-06 10:07:06

If you like roleplay-intensive games, there are two which seem to have quite a lot of crafting.
The Inquisition: Legacy is more medieval, and After Earth is cyberpunk. I don't have connection info on me right now, but Mud Connector can probably give you that. Just be aware that the only way to gain xp and improve your skills is through RP.

2020-08-15 21:12:39

Today while looking on Reddit i stumbled across an interesting mud.
I will copy / paste The original post here:

"About five years ago, there was a quirky little MUD called ConQUEST. I am the game's main developer. I ended up having to shut down the game; at the time, my life was too busy to do the admin work the MUD needed. Over the years, many of the old players have asked me to re-open the game. My life has settled down, and so I've decided to re-open the MUD.
Summary
If you've never played ConQUEST before, there are many good reasons to take a look at it. ConQUEST is a custom-codebase MUD with heavy emphasis on crafting, exploration, and tactical combat. Almost everything in the game is player-crafted, including equipment, personal lairs, player shops, and guild houses. Our deep combat system encourages groups of 2-3 players. If you’d rather play alone, you can instead hire a temporary NPC mercenary or craft your own golem assistant.
Our point-based advancement system offers you full customization over which abilities your character can use — there are no classes to stifle your creativity. With over 78,000 rooms in the overland map to explore, and dozens of dungeons hidden in its nooks and crannies, you will never be wanting for something new and refreshing to do.
I encourage you to come check us out. Here is a more detailed description of our key features:
Everything is Crafted
All equipment is made by you and other players. Collect resources to craft the exact gear, with the exact stats, that you want. Specialize in blacksmithing, leatherworking, metalsmithing, carpentry, alchemy, gemcraft, or be a jack of all trades. Collaborate with other players to make powerful artifacts!
Build Your Own Class.
Your imagination determines your character class. Want to play a gladiator, armed with gladius and buckler? You can build that! Want to delve dungeons with whip in one hand and powerful magicks in the other? You can build that! Want to play the guardian, with thick platemail and two-handed halberd? You can build that too! Our advancement uses a point-buy system rather than character classes, which offers much flexibility when customizing your character. For those who like to experiment, the quickstart feature allows you to quickly save and swap between builds and equipment sets in town.
Tactical Combat
With over 300 skills to mix and match when designing your character, many inventive possibilities are available to you. Combat is completely manual -- including your defences -- which means you need to stay attentive to stay alive. Don't expect any auto-attacks over here! The benefit to our system is that it offers a fast-paced, tactical, and unique combat experience that you won't get easily bored of.
Build Your Own Lair
A small slice of the world is set aside for you. Players can build their own lairs, which are connected directly to the world map. Lure NPCs and other players to your domain by seeding it with tantalizing gem hoards. Protect those hoards with crafted traps and captured monsters. The more fighting that occurs in your lair, the more experience you earn for upgrading your crafted equipment.
Live the Merchant Life
Crafting is a way of life in ConQUEST. Build a shop and stock it with gear you have made. Other players can browse and purchase your crafted goods at the prices you set. Spend hours browsing the bazaars formed by dozens of player shops that crop up around the world's crossroads. If adventuring is not for you, perhaps you will find that a life of commerce is more suitable.
Explore a Vast, Changing World
ConQUEST boasts a huge 78,000 room open-world map with multiple biomes. The world is persistent and malleable -- chop down trees to create lumber for your shop, harvest gems from the mountainside to adorn your armor, or build your lair on a secluded island. All the changes stay after you leave! For those who like to explore, treasure maps reward you with powerful buried crafting components for exploring randomly generated locations."

Well it's interesting for sure.
While many things changed in my life, i'm apparently the same insane person who loves crafting games. Lol.
Anyway, I logged on and found the following things.
I asked the admin if there is a soundpack, farming and cooking, and he said that He is considering adding that.
The game has a blind mode, there's also a find command for finding objects, I didn't test that out yet, I joined an hour ago so I am still learning how things work.
Connect to:
play.conquestmud.ca
port 5000
http://www.conquestmud.ca

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2020-08-15 21:47:25

Some of that stuff in Conquest sounds interesting, though I don't know if I like the idea of a group based combat system, also I hope combat is slow enough to let you customise your skills etc.

I'll also add that Erion's crafting is getting expanded into some directions I've not seen in other muds before.
For example, it is the only game I've seen where you can actually make your own matches for lighting crucibles and things, as well as turn wood into charcoal, or even grind caught fish into pots of chum for fish bate.

Gardening is an  interesting activity, and Erion's expanded with it's first weaving based skills and items, including basket making and fashioning your own magical grimoire, plus all of these are tied to repeatable crafting missions, so instead of doing miniquests and monster murder missions to advance, you can earn xp just for crafting.

Most recent additions are advanced crafting skills, plus new minable ores, and apparently more crafting updates are in the works.

2020-08-16 00:58:38

@Annellin
That Mud sounds interesting.
I always like to try out all the crafting muds, so I'll give it a look.
Thanks for sharing.

2020-08-16 01:18:42

I saw recently that Erion has some more crafting stuff out but can't get anyone to tell me what the advanced crafting things they added a few days ago were. If anyone knows, let me know.

2020-08-16 04:03:06

@Bookrage, advanced crafting skills are basically what they sound like, simply advanced versions of the normal skils that let you collect resources faster, have a higher chance of getting more resources with each action, or, for the crafting skills, can craft legendary items with more rune slots, capacity etc.

they're a nice thing to work towards, but at this point don't change the over all crafting process.

then again, since more precious mining ores were recently added, and likely more crafting options will come in the future, this is probably just a step along the way.

Btw, I also noticed the d20 starwars mud in This topic, has crafting as well, including resource collection, though what can be crafted and how far it goes I'm not sure, still a scifi mud with crafting is always an interesting idea, albeit I found that one a little harder to get into.

2020-08-16 09:02:07

Erion got some more things added, but how Dark said, it's just the advanced version of mining,, for example, nothing that is a new crafting skill, at the moment. But the admin is always adding new features.

About conquest, the admin said that he wants feedback from the blind community.

"Heroes aren’t always the ones who win. They’re the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don’t give up. That’s what makes them heroes."

2021-02-21 18:10:57

Okay just to note that according to announcement 9 of This topic. Wayfar1444 is back!

This is amazing news, since frankly it had some of the best crafting I have ever seen, literally go from just wandering the wilderness with a tool belt and a datapad, to making clothes, tools, mining equipment, refineries, colony buildings and eventually vehicles and even starships!

It also had a fantastic combat and food system, where you wouldn't die of hunger, but could get major buffs from purifying water and making food, and even some limited colony management options too.
Be sure that when it's back up I'll be going straight there to start off on the building and exploring oncemore, and other crafting types will be welcome to join.

2021-02-24 20:58:50

I want someone to give me the connection info, and times for this one, because I never got to play it.

Who am I? Simply me!

2021-02-24 21:41:56

wayfar1444.com on port 7777.
However, I don't think registration of new player's email accounts is up and running yet, so you might have to wait until next week.

2021-02-24 23:38:13 (edited by JaceK 2021-02-24 23:46:03)

It apparently is, I got my password emailed to me fine after a few minutes.

So. I'm a little stumped. I've got a factory, starship complex, prefab shelter and a ship. So....is there any sort of set series I should build stuff in, or is it a case of okay, you got this, so this unlocks these things?

EDIT: Seems to be down for me right now, hanging on establishing a connection, unless I missed some news about it being down?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2021-02-25 01:55:08

@Jase, I don't know if there is a specific order, since it depends upon what you're trying to do, EG some backgrounds specifically need you to put up buildings, other builds require components only findable with vehicles etc.
Generally I'd recommend trying to build all of the tools you can, then typing "list" for each tool to see what you can make with it, and have a look at the requirements for each thing, both in terms of resources and components, for example, some things need to be built with the electronics processor which needs to go in the factory etc.

Also, unfortunately a few systems in the game just aren't as finished as they should be, especially as regards getting your colony's population to do anything actually useful, something I hope will be added to the game in the future.

2021-04-11 18:00:43 (edited by moaddye 2021-04-11 18:06:58)

I am looking for MUD with requirements,
keep in mind that not all these requirements must be met. If there's a MUD that's similar to what the requirements are, feel free to post here.
1, merchant class, or something like it
2, rp inforced, optional,
3, at least some playerbase.
4, being able to level up as easily with crafting as with combat.
5, crafting systems don't take like 3 days just to get a crude copper axe, a misshapen bow, and another 3 daysto make them a bit better. So basically, there can be grinding, but it shouldn't be incredibly incredibly long just to get something bad. doesn't mean I want it to be really quick though
6, optional, some quests that can be done in place of just crafting. e.g, mine 10 copper ores and hand them over, stuff like that that aren't kill 50 boars.
Kind of want it to be like the normal crafting systems, you start off with bad stuff, when you make more, and get more experienced in that craft, you get better stuff. I've looked through a lot of MUDs but not many are to my taste.

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2021-04-11 19:53:38

Irrion

Who am I? Simply me!

2021-04-11 19:57:04

Irrion?

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2021-04-12 07:27:22 (edited by Dark 2021-04-12 07:30:41)

Lol, I was going to mention Erion, accept that I assumed Moaddye already knew about it.

First, Erion's db page is here, if you want to read about the game. However I'll try and answer the points.

Erion has a relatively stable player base with usually up to 30 players on at once, and the community is quite friendly.
You can learn any and all craft skills you want, and though you'll need to spend time advancing them, its not impossible to get them maxed, plus, the quality of the items you create is not dictated by your skill, quality relates to what materials you put in, and the skills help you get more materials quickly. All crafting activities also gain you experience, from tanning skins into leather to smelting or gem polishing to building items, so its quite possible to level up from crafting, indeed I believe some people are trying to go through the game just! with crafting and no combat, which is quite possible, although I personally like to mix things up and do bits of each myself.

There are repeatable crafting missions where your told to go and make an item, or gather materials  and get rewarded for it, as well as other quests in the game to do.

There is no dedicated merchant class, since the craft skills are just skills you learn on top of your character's combat class skills, meaning anyone can learn them, however, you can join the artisan's house which gives you some extra rewards when you craft things, and a few handy extra abilities to enhance your crafting, EG the haggle skill which lets you sell what you build for a higher price.

You can connect to the game on
erionmud.com port 1234.

My   character is called Thile on there.

Hth.

2021-04-12 16:23:57

If quality of item is not determined by crafting skill, what stops me from getting someone to give me strongest material in game and use it to make something? is it nearly impossible to craft since I don't know much about it, or flat out impossible?