2020-01-15 07:46:52

Hi Folks,

I have been hearing a lot about this new Apple Arcade service, and was just wondering if any of you had actually tried it. I was thinking about it, but was unsure as to how well it would work with screen-readers. Any information on this would be great.

Thanks.

2020-01-15 09:44:03

I haven't  tryed it, but from everything I have heard, none of the games are accessible.

2020-01-15 17:31:35

I've tried it, none of the games are accessible accept Dear Reader, and only if you mess around with VoiceOver commands for "find next color change" or something, so not enjoyable.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-01-15 19:31:35

Hi,
Also, Sayonara Wild Hearts is (somewhat) playable if you connect a controller. It might be best to listen to some of the game first. I got about halfway through it. Basically, if a game has full controller support including the menus, you can just pair up your controller, launch the game and play it like a console game, menus and all.

2020-01-15 19:39:30

I feel like apple should at the very least offer a warning that there's no guarantee any of the games featured are accessible to blind users. As it stands right now we're effectively being screwed out of money through no falt of our own.

2020-01-15 20:14:12

Hmm... I think if something is accessible that there will be an indication, just saying.

Every day is a good day!
When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade!
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one, and they all stink.

2020-01-15 22:05:44

Does Apple's Poker game say that it's accessible in the description? I doubt it. I've blown a few gusts of wind on Twitter about the inaccessibility of Apple Arcade games. Of course, it won't turn into a tornado because there aren't enough people interested in accessibility in gaming, and fewer that'll advocate for it, but shoot, maybe something will happen. Until then, I'll stick with Dissidia Final Fantasy. smile

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-01-15 22:33:09

@4 witch game controller can I use? I keep hearing about the “M I T” one for I Devices. Have you ever used it and how accessible is it for the blind?

2020-01-16 01:18:56

Any controller. PS4, Xbox One, as long as the controller supports bluetooth.

2020-01-16 01:48:50

I like the GameVice Live. Lightning, connects directly to the iPhone, makes iPhone look like PSP, Made for iPhone. Very portable.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-01-16 09:37:54

Hi!
As far as I am aware, nobody is being "screwed out of their money," as it was so elegantly phrased. There's a trial period after all.
There is another kind of danger, however. Out of the spectrum of all available games, Apple has selected a subset which is not accessible. Now, if Joe Blow had made such a selection it wouldn't amount to much, but when Apple does so, they are invoking the normative power of the factual. Implicitly, they have now defined the field of computer games as one to which accessibility does not apply to the same degree as to other fields. For us gamers with disabilities, this is tragic.

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2020-01-16 14:11:55

#11 I get what you mean, although I always think there's hope. There's still a lack of accessibility awareness. While Apple has made VoiceOver I don't think they've really dabbled in accessible games themselves, so I don't know how much experience devs can get from Apple on a gaming front.
I do still think there could be some games that could be made fully accessible, Sayonara Wild Hearts being one of them, if both screen reader accessibility, and some additional audio cues are implemented, but I've got no idea how to contact the devs.

2020-01-16 15:01:13

to be quite honest apple should focus on the things accessibility wise they did for the last few years, make devices like phones, tablets, computers accessible so that most people can use them.
Don't also forget that Apple is not responsible for the games which are contained in Apple arcade, you still have third party developers and they can submit their games to apple arcade, at least that's what I could gather.
in my opinion, most mobile games are not worth the hastle of trying to make them accessible, xbox, ps and PC games are the ones we should try to get accessible.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-01-16 16:00:45

Apple may not control the accessibility of games, which they very well may, but they do control which games are allowed in Apple Arcade. Also, Apple made their Poker Texas whatever game accessible, so they know what they're doing. Another point, the videos for the games on the Apple Arcade site are described for us. Isn't that great? It's so nice that they've beautifully described games which we cannot play.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-01-16 17:37:07

Hi.

yeah, they control which games are included in the subscription, but they just can't go there and say, your game has to be accessible for people with this disability, that disability and that other disability as well.
They could do that, but I suppose they would lose alot of companys who would publish their games via arcade.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-01-16 17:58:40

Doesn't matter. They could have at least one or two games which are accessible. What I mean by accessible is that a totally blind person new to gaming can play the game without memorizing menus and all the rest we have to do with inaccessible games. No, Apple has plenty fault in this.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-01-16 18:27:45

They could have given us our own section like they did for the family friendly and the action ones Apple is 100% responsible for this, they came up with it anyway..

2020-01-16 19:10:33

Well, the obvious solution is to contact them and explain what we want out of Apple Arcade. I highly doubt anybody from Apple reads AudioGames.

2020-01-16 19:37:38

I have contacted them.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me