2020-01-13 22:26:25

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/TomGant … Gamers.php

2020-01-14 06:17:13 (edited by Ethin 2020-01-14 06:17:26)

This was an excellent article (I need to read it again LOL). @OP, sent you a PM.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-01-14 09:06:15

Wow. Awesome article. Thanks for sharing...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-01-15 00:52:22

@1 Sent you an email using the link at the bottom of the post, but the forum threw a 400 so not sure if it sent. In a nutshell, I'm wondering if you were the game accessibility consultant mentioned in the article? Guessing so, unless someone shares your name and you happened to link an article about them. smile

I've been curious about game accessibility consulting for a while. I wrote the Spiel screen reader for Android back in the day, and am currently building a screen reader for an open source game engine. So I'd say I probably have decent chops for taking inaccessible or less accessible clusterfucks and making them usable. smile But I have no idea where to even begin approaching potential game accessibility clients, and I'd love to chat about it if you have the time and think you have something to offer.

Otherwise I might just post a separate thread, since I get the sense that there are several game accessibility consultant types lurking here.

2020-01-15 18:44:40 (edited by Sightless Kombat 2020-01-15 18:44:55)

@4
Hi.  The accessibility consultant referenced in the article is actually me.  Just posting to clarify given you were wondering if the OP of this thread was the same individual.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2020-01-15 19:23:33

Also, Ian Hamilton is probably the very same Ian Hamilton indeed, as he is also an accessibility consultant.

2020-01-15 22:45:23

@5 he's asking if the Ian Hamilton mentioned in the article is the same person as me smile

Perhaps you and I are the same person though, who knows eh, stranger things have happened

2020-01-15 23:14:00

Hello there everyone, man this was an absolutely wonderful article, and I especially enjoyed your speech Ian. I have a question about the consultant end of things though. I'm going to come right out and say it. I haven't even got a full time job and have absolutely no prospects of getting one, since I live in such an area where I couldn't find any work locally, and the way they pay blind people, I would be spending most of, if not all of my paycheck on paying a driver to get me from home to my job, or a cab driver, and what I'd like to do is to become an accessibility tester for video and computer games. I'm signed up with the able gamers player panel but what I'd like to do is to talk to some of these game companies that we know of who are serious about including accessibility in their games for those of us who have absolutely no sight, and see if any of them would be willing to hire me as an accessibility tester. I've tested web sites for accessibility or lack of it in my previous job working from home, and I'd like to work from home if possible since I can't just up and move to a new location because of my circumstances being what they are. Video and computer gaming is my main passion and has been since the age of 4 years old, and I'm hearing about this kind of news in accessibility and I would give anything to be involved and make my voice heard. Just like the rest of you, I dream of the day when we'll all be able to sit down in front of a video game console or a computer and play video and computer games right alongside our sighted counterparts. I've read it on here and I agree, we're a ways off from that happening, but I'd like to be involved in this process if I can at all. So Ianhamilton or Sightless, any sort of help at all you can give me on how I can be involved or contact some of these game companies that are doing accessibility so that I can help them play test their products and make suggestions for accessibility features, please let me know. Have a wonderful day to all of you and this is so exciting.

2020-01-16 01:17:25

@ian can you please give a direct link to the YouTube presentation of your talk? The article did not show the embed for me, for some reason.

2020-01-16 01:39:14

@9: [Link]

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2020-01-16 04:06:09 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2020-01-16 04:07:16)

@8 the bad news is that there are less than 10 people worldwide who are hired as game accessibility testers, those people work in-house rather than remotely and have to test for everything rather than blindness specifically.

Even outside of QA testing there are only another 10 or so other people working as internal staff on game accessibility globally. And there have only ever been 2 roles like that that were advertised rather than giving to existing staff who were effectively already doing the job anyway.

There are some external consultants too, though that's something that you need to build up to as you're essentially being brought onboard solely for your depth of experience.

It's still very days, way behind other industries, there's isn't yet any kind of standard career path like there is in web for example.

The good news though is they employment size it is getting easier to have your voice heard. A great way is to make contacts with local game developers, and there's a good step towards consulting too. Your nearest city will have game developer meetups. Where are you geographically?

There are also occasionally opportunities to do remote play testing, I'm aware of two companies now who have done remote user research over twitch.

2020-01-16 04:06:25

@10 thank you!

2020-01-16 04:11:14

@4 the post above (11) has some relevant info, though I'm aware your circumstances are different to karate5.

Separate thread sounds good, perhaps include a call for info on how people got into it and what it is like? That info might be useful context.

2020-01-16 04:34:42

Hi there Mr. Hamilton, I'm in Virginia in the us, and I don't know of any game developers here, and I'm not exactly sure just how accessible twitch is to jaws. Hmm, guess I'll have to just wait and watch this unfold and when the able gamers panel puts up an opportunity, do my best to take part in it, although they've been rather quiet honestly. Thank you very much for your input.

2020-01-16 06:40:22

I'm in North Dakota in the US aswell. Not really sure of any game devs up here.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-01-16 07:38:25 (edited by magurp244 2020-01-17 01:09:50)

@15
It might depend on what part of ND your in, there's quite a few around, though another way to find similar types would be to hit up some local hacker spaces as well. There's a listing [here] of 5 companies:

Moviestarplanet Hack: Mcclusky, ND
Rock 30 Games: Minot, ND
Rock 30 Games, Inc.: Bismarck, ND
Steamkeg: Fargo, ND
Unleveled Gaming: Williston, ND

There also seems to be a gamedev collective mentioned [here] in Fargo going by, Replay Games? Or Fargo Game Makers? Not sure which, they seem to meet up once a month in the basement of the Exchange District in Downtown Fargo. There's also a list of hackerspaces [here]:

Station House Studios: Fargo
MELD Workshop: Fargo
MinotMakers: Minot
Minot Makers: Minot

The minot Makers listing [here] mentions they meet every thursday at 7:00 in the executive board room at the sleep inn hotel.

@14
There's quite a few gamedev companies in Richmond Virginia, around 9 as listed [here]:

City State Entertainment
Little Arms Studios
Zojoi LLC
Webxsystem
804 Game Studios LLC
GameTruck Licensing LLC
Root 76 LLC
Kris Robust Information Solutions

There's another list of 15 companies [here]:

Xtreme Falcon: Burke, Virginia
Match Gamers: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Video Visions LLC: Chesapeake, Virginia
Game Store Warehouse: Danville, Virginia
Game Trading World: Salem Virginia
Gamers: Hardy, Virginia
Digital Edge Creations: Fairfax, Virginia
Flying Shoe LLC: Richmond, Virginia
The Yard Sale: Fairfax Virginia
Video Game Heaven: Virginia beach, Virginia

Another list [here] on the gamedev map with:

Brightline Interactive: Alexandria, Virginia
Citadel Studios: Manassas, Virginia
GSN Games: Arlington, Virginia
Janus Research Group: Quantico, Virginia

There's a Student Game Developers group at the University of Virginia [here], a Unity meetup group [here] with 226 members, and around 18 hackerspaces around listed [here] in Alexandria, Blacksburg, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg, Haymarket, Locust Grove, Lynchburg, Norfolk, Portsmouth, reston, Richmont, Roanoke/Salem, and Winchester.

CORRECTION: I seem to have confused West Virginia with Virgina. I've added a few more relevant links for Virginia, and will keep the previous West Virginia links below.

There's also a West Virgina Game Developers Expo [here], and another list of companies [here] from a Game Developers Club, apparently:

Lasso Games: Huntington, WV
2812 Games: Huntington WV
Parable Studios: Hurricane, WV
Acheron Studios: Morgantown, WV
Proud Mom Games: Nitro, WV
Vandalia Softworks: Morgantown, WV
Still Games: Shepherdstown, WV
Reality Games Repair & Design Company: Pineville, WV
Bazoo Studios LLC: Middlebourne, WV

The list of Game Development Groups includes:

West Virginia University Game Developers Club in Morgantown
Appalachian Game Creators Association

And a gaming hardware company called Drivetech - Simgines, LLC in Morgantown.

2020-01-16 11:03:11

@7
Apologies for the misunderstanding.  The wording wasn't exactly clear given we both are accessibility consultants.  Appreciate you clearing that up though.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2020-01-16 16:06:46

Magurp244? thanks a whole heck of a lot good buddy, what you did for Ethon and I is exactly the kind of help I was looking for. Will I be able to be a payed work from home play tester? no probably not, but at least now I'll be able to hopefully get my voice heard by some folks and help them to learn that totally blind video and computer gaming is actually a thing, and I'm going to point them right to this community so that they can get all manner of help and feedback on how to make their products fully playable by the blind. I knew you guys would come through for me so thanks so much. Have a wonderful day to all of you where ever you are.

2020-01-16 17:06:59

I agree with #8 with working from home, I cannot afford it either. So can I please get some help with being a full time tester and a consultant too. I also don’t know who to talk to or wear to go to get this opportunity. I have been wanting to do this since I was 5 years old. I want all games to be accessible and I would love to have a hand in this. Please help if you can. Thanks

2020-01-16 17:35:17

Hi.

Well, in the part of Germany where i live we have Egosoft, the company behind the x line of games, if I look on google maps, their HQ is about an hour away.

greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-01-16 19:48:20

Thank you for the article and video. I have signed up for Able Gamers play panel and the newsletter. How long until I hear a response?

2020-01-16 22:48:55 (edited by magurp244 2020-01-16 23:03:56)

@21
If you can provide the specific part of the US your in, I can pull up any data on local developers and hackerspaces. Same with anyone else whose interested.

@20
Hmm... You know, I recall meeting a German exchange student not to long ago at a local hackerspace. He talked quite abit about a huge crazy hacker party that goes on every few years, I think it was the [Chaos Communication Congress]? Which is run by the [Chaos Computer Club], might be worth checking out.

2020-01-16 22:57:09 (edited by Blind angel 444 2020-01-16 23:00:34)

Georgia. Thanks

2020-01-16 23:56:19

@23
Good lord, there's alot... Start off with the [Georgia Game Developers Association] which has a number of companies listed as members, and a huge list of over 134 local developer companies [here]. There's also an Atlanta, GA. Game Developer Meetup Group [here] with 1219 members that meets every month. A listing of 11 companies [here], including:

Algoworks: Atlanta, Georgia
Cubix: Atlanta Georgia
AppZoro Technologies Inc.: Atlanta, Georgia
ZYDEXO: Peachtree City, Georgia
Gimmie Games: Decatur, Georgia
Angry Hanger Games: Atlanta, Georgia
Blue Mammoth Games:  Atlanta, Georgia
Hi-Rez Studios: Alpharetta, Georgia
Ker-Chunk Games: Atlanta, Georgia

Also a listing [here] that mentions:

Adult Swim Games: Atlanta: Georgia
Persuasive Games: Atlanta, Georgia
Thrust Interactive: Atlanta, Georgia
Tripwire Interactive: Roswell, Georgia
Xaviant: Cumming, Georgia

There's also a few videos [here] from Hi-Rez Studios on how to break into the gaming industry in Georgia. There's also about 30 hits [here] on the GameDev Map, a few seem to be from the country of Georgia, but there's quite a few not found on the GGDA big list:

Blue Bomber Games: Atlanta, Georgia
IGDA Altanta Chapter: Atlanta, Georgia
Lionheart Games: Atlanta, Georgia
Moonlight Kids: Atlanta, Georgia
Red Panda Studios: Savannah, Georgia
Scientific Games: Atlanta, Georgia
Sol 5 Studios: Atlanta, Georgia
Transgaming Digital Home: Atlanta, Georgia
Virtually Better: Decatur, Georgia

Whew... Now, there's a listing of 19 hackerspaces [here], including:

Makerspace Albany: Albany, Georgia
FreesideAtlanta: Atlanta, Georgia
My Inventor Club: Atlanta, Georgia
Theclubhou.se: Augusta, Georgia
TheClubhou.se: Augusta, Georgia
TechKnow Lab - Brunswick Hackerspace: Brunswick, Georgia
QuickSilver space: Columbus, Georgia
Decatur Makers: Decatur, Georgia
South Fulton Tool Cooperative: Fairburn, Georgia
GeekspaceGwinnet: Lawrenceville, Georgia
TechNode: Macon, Georgia
Village Green Hackerspace: Macon, Georgia
The Maker Station: Marietta, Georgia
GITFUHKD: Monticello, Georgia
HackGwinnet: Norcross, Georgia
HackBerry Lab: Rome, Georgia
7hills Makespace: Rome, Georgia
Counterpoint:  Roswell, Georgia
Pack 'o' Hazkerz: Vidalia, Georgia

There's also a listing of libraries with Makerspaces in Georgia [here] found in Athens, Bartram, Catoosa, Chattooga, Chestatee, Coastal Plain, Cobb County, Conyers-Rockdale, De Soto Trail, Greater Clarks Hill, Gwinnett County Public Library, Hall County, Lake Blackshear, Lee County, Northwest Georgia, Ocmulgee, Okefenokee, Piedmont, Sequoyah, Southwest Georgia, West Georgia, and Worth County. Be advised though, library Makerspaces may not be as populated with dev types as Hackerspaces.

2020-01-17 00:36:49

Thanks, the state.