2020-01-15 02:00:06

Hi!
Today, I got a notification from my Internet service provider, Charder, saying it was recently used to download via p2p or torrent software. they are threatening to shut off our internet if this continues.
Since my parents are paying for the internet over here, this can prove disastrous.

I actually got this twice, the second time after canceling all planned bittorrent downloads for legal reasons.
I therefore advise all users of this ISP to avoid downloading via bit torrent.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2020-01-15 03:09:12 (edited by Ethin 2020-01-15 03:10:02)

Was this a physical letter or an email? (Side note: monitoring of this kind of ting is quite commonplace for resident ISPs.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-01-15 03:47:50

Well, if you want to be alegal with torrents use a vpn if you must.
If you are using torrents for legal purposes maybe its time to switch your previder.
If you get a notification as like its a notification it almost looks like spam.

2020-01-15 04:43:03

This is incredibly common for rural ISP's, so I'm unfortunately not surprised. Problem is that this blocks legal bit torrent downloading (one of the instrument packages I had downloaded via torrent.

2020-01-15 06:36:51

Yeah I'd just use a fast VPN.

2020-01-15 10:33:30 (edited by turtlepower17 2020-01-15 10:40:52)

I don't understand why this topic was created. If the torrents you downloaded were legal, there's no doubt in my mind that you would have specifically stated which ones, perhaps even linked to them. I'm sure everyone here is aware of how much on the up and up the forum is trying to be in terms of the distribution of copyrighted material, so, uh, yeah. What are we supposed to do about your torrenting woes exactly? All the major ISP's, in the US at least, have taken a hardline stance for some time, though admittedly, I've never heard of something like the 6 strikes rule actually happening in real life. I also know for a fact that some other countries' ISP's are even harsher against the bit torent protocol, throttling users' speeds and all sorts of fun stuff.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-01-15 14:40:23

Just put a VPN and you're set to go.

2020-01-15 15:15:51

Hi,
He stated in the topic that he had cancelled all the torrent downloads, but he still got a warning. Plus Ethin mentioned that he downloaded a legal torrent (this is actually a thing, I've sen stuff in the past that could only be obtained by legal torrent, although it was a while ago). Anyway, back to Ethin, it seemed like he just got warned for grabbing a torrent file no matter the type, and I think that's rather unfair. If it was illegal, fair enough, but if it was cancelled or even legal in the firstplace, then that's not fair.

2020-01-15 17:39:53

Probably seeding did it, or maybe communication with links from known pirating sites.

2020-01-15 17:42:26

@1 How are they even allowed to do monitoring like that? I am doing bittorrent here in germany with no problems at all. Does anyone know good vps solutions that do not have a datalimit and are usable?

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2020-01-15 18:40:07

How do you know that it isn’t a scam and someone isn’t working on stilling your personal information. I have been hearing about new scams going around this year. Internet scammers are on the rise. Be safe!

2020-01-15 21:43:45

Your mileage may vary, but at least in the U.S. you are delusional if you think ISP's aren't allowed to track you. Now major ones like AT and T, Comcast (particularly on a business endpoint), etc have stated that they would not track/sell your information in response to loss of net neutrality-related outcry, but they aren't much better when it comes to ethic, think XFinity's mechanisms to enforce data metering for example.
That said, the media hates torrents. The media hates anything standing in the way of the high-and-mighty corporate execs. Bit torrent is easy for a network infrastructure to detect and block. This is, of course, a problem when it comes to legal torrents, particularly when a torrent is the only way to download purchased content (I'm looking at you, U V I).

2020-01-15 22:39:00

12 is right. Them corporate execs hate it when people don't use "their" (supposedly awesome) protocol or whatever over something as totally unethical and ancient as bit torrent. After all, bit torrent is (totally) evil.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-01-16 09:21:00

@Jack
These are also the same companies who keep raising prices secretly on customer's bills until they get caught, and promising to serve certain areas or hire certain amounts of people to the government in exchange for the rite to do basically what ever the hell they want, and yet still breaking even those promises left and right, or outright making up numbers because they know that it's unlikely anyone in the current administration will call them on it.

So I would not put anything past them, no matter what they may claim.

2020-01-16 15:19:31

And to add to 14 if I may, because they have managed to practically monopolize the industries they are part of they know there's no chance at us switching service providers because who do you turn to outside of the giants anyway.  They're playing a beautiful and rather ruthless game and winning at it because other options don't exist they can't just squash to bits owing to the billions that pour in from the RIAA, MPAA and other sectors, plus the cash that funnels in from the average joes who all require their services anyway.
Closely related but somewhat off topic?  Netflix just did some serious dealing with disney to obtain all of the disney Plus stuff on their platform.  Any ideas on what may have happened their?  I was under the impression Disney wanted to strike out solo...

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-01-16 23:04:54

@Ethin: More what the riaa/mpaa thinks. And the Government. They make technologically related laws and regulations as if they have any clue what they're screwing with. Dangerous ignorance. Their end goal is a fully sensored internet, but fat chance that that will actually happen. Freaking Cloudflare is doing a vpn that they are going to market to enterprises in addition to end users, along with an already-existing 1.1.1.1 dns provider. Strong support for encryption is on the rise, and with the indieweb it will only get stronger.

2020-01-16 23:10:33

a few of the torrents were officially provided by sites hoasting the relivent content. Certain sites (Mod archive, project2612, snesmusic.org) aufer torrents of their entire databases for the sake of convenience.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2020-01-17 01:12:25

@16, let's not forget DOH either. smile

My Github

2020-01-17 01:33:03

Any good VPNs to use from now on? Last time I tried Private Internet Access, their PC app's layout changed and was no longer accessible.

2020-01-17 02:12:15

You can always use Open VPN to get around using their client. That's what I did when I encountered the same issue. However, it may be worth reaching out to their support team if the situation hasn't changed. They've been responsive in the past to accessibility issues that were raised about their apps.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2020-01-17 03:10:37

I use one called HMA pro vpn.

The client on windows feels like you're using a webpage, so it's mostly accessible.

I think the only part that's no longer accessible is the favourites.

It's also on the pricy side, but so far I haven't had any problems with it.

2020-01-18 00:11:25

Are you talking about BT Sync when you say BitTorrents? My mom and I use Cox, which is another internet provider here in the States. I mainly sync the Electronic Games folder, and More Sounds. As those with More Sounds know, the folder is over 320 GB. Anyways, I'm just wondering if Cox will somehow get wind of BT Sync being used on my net, and my mom may get some notice or something. The bill is in her name, and I don't want something going wrong because I'm using that program

2020-01-18 00:35:49

Not necessarily. It's the torrent downloads that i s p's are going after, but you really never know.
Re, VPN's: Make sure to get up to speed with Warp Plus once it hits the pc. $5 a month for unlimited high-speed encrypted data, or free monthly data dictated by how many people you refer. Free, non-fastlane encrypted traffic, along with the 1.1.1.1 dns provider, isn't going anywhere, but Warp has not hit the pc just yet.

2020-01-18 21:30:02

Is BT Sync a torrenting program?

2020-01-18 22:09:42

Um, yes. IT uses the same protocol. It just isn't a torrent download hub. It's p2p, though, which most public networks disallow but it should not affect you.